Mysterious trucks collision

Truck #2 came through the wall on the right. Appears the wall on the right is a barrier for oncoming traffic and that truck came through the wall causing a head on collision. As truck #1 is being hit, stare at its right rear corner (passenger side) you will see the hole being created by truck #2 crashing through it... Note that truck #2 shows that this was a "head on" collision. After the collision, at the end of the video, you can see the hole is lit up with light coming from the other lane, on the other side of the wall, the barrier for oncoming traffic...
I know I ramble and I hope someone can articulate this better than I. :-[

I was probably wrong. After viewing that video more, that barrier wall hole is there BEFORE the accident. The "hole" has some type of guard rail. To me, appears that truck #2 comes through that "hole" but there is just not enough video the see if that guard rail is trashed from truck #2 blasting through it.
Maybe it's just one of the things that make ya go MuWaHaHa... :umm: :umm: :umm:
I must say the video is addicting. Geeze, I gotta get back to work and support the matrix. :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

edit: After watching this video MORE, I'm probably WRONG AGAIN... :P Seems that guard rail may be intact after collision. Maybe that guard rail is somehow spring loaded? Hell, I give up and for now attribute this to MuWaHaHa.

well, I also found it in another collection on youtube _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hOH6xTCnO4
The tunnel is the Lefortovo Tunnel, Moscow.

The lorry crash can be seen at the 1 minute mark.
The crashes before that (at about 30 seconds) show the tunnel, and in the distance you can see the bend that the lorry crash happens at (to give you a better perspective of the area the camera can't see in the lorry crash).

The tunnel looks icy as hell.

As the first lorry comes into shot, you can just make out the angle its coming in from is middle lane to right hand lane (its not sat squarely in the right hand lane). The rear left wheel is over the white line, and its trajectory is towards the right hand wall.
As the back wheels come into shot you can see the tires are allready fully locked (breaking) as there is a lot of smoke from them.
The lorry then turns to the left before being forced left by the second lorry.

The second lorry arrives in frame next to the first in complete reverse. You see its cab where its rear end should be. Also the damage to the cab has already happened (it doesn't happen in the crash we see). Then they all get flipped sideways by running into the wall on the right.

From watching the other crashes, I'd suggest that the second lorry was traveling a lot faster than the first. Spun out behind the first, hit a wall/rotated (causing the cab damage), caught up with the first lorry (it being now completely reversed from the spin) on the right hand side of the first lorry and bounced off the right wall into the first lorry.

The first lorry may have been skidding out slightly as well, or perhaps was pulling sharply over to the right suddenly due to slowing traffic (all there break lights are on if you notice).

:)

I hope they where OK.

OK, I am going to have a go at this one. Since I am taking the tack of logic first here, we have to conclude some basis physics. The truck that appears out of know where in the camera shot is going backward at this point. For this to be possible, it had to have already been in the process of being out of control prior to the shot that we can SEE. I propose that this truck was already in the process of crashing, and when it comes into view of the camera, it is skidding along backwards, out of control, when it enters the video. There is room for two vehicles to be side by side, as it appears in the video. Both trucks are where they are when entering the video, and the results are what should be expected, with the final scenes caught on video.

Just my views on this,

gwb

Well I dunno, maybe I have an over-active imagination and I subconsciously want this to be a hyperdimensional event, but truck 2 still seems to appear out of nowhere. If #2 was in the process of crashing or skidding prior to its encounter with #1, the other traffic seems to be unaffected in the other two lanes. And, unless some frames have been removed, #2 still seemingly appears out of nowhere.

when the two trucks flip over, a car comes to a stop right in front of the melee in the lane just to the left of the truck lane. if you back up the video and watch that car, you can see the glow from its brake lights just before the lights themselves enter the frame. perhaps that driver saw something coming and began to brake, indicating that the other truck could've been coming up from behind before they crashed.

however, the tunnel is busy with traffic, and the driver could've been braking simply because they were approaching the car in front of them and needed to slow... so it's still inconclusive, imo...

bit of a noodle scratcher!

The collision is also here: _http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=61e_1176178504. It's titled Hell's Tunnel-Accident Central
This vid is much clearer than the original, at least on my old CRT monitor.
The two left lanes of traffic appear to be moving very uniformily as does traffic ins the far right lane. As well, none of the vehicles ahead of the accident show any sign of emergency braking or getting out of the way of an out-of-control large truck.
In all honesty, ol' #2 just seems to suddenly be smack in front of truck #1.
But I'm gonna watch it a few more times. The more I watch it, the more intriguing it becomes. :/

This video is much clearer.

What it looks like is that the truck on the left is changing lanes, while the right one (off frame) is coming in fast, sees the left hand truck encroaching, probably veers to the right, hits the wall and gets thrown back to the left, hitting the left hand truck.

Just before the violent movement, you can see the left hand truck being pushed back to the left (either pushed or he is suddenly steering left). Looks more like the right hand truck was squeezed to the wall, and hits that cement column, jacking it hard to the left.

One thing that is more evident, is that just before the collision, you see sparks top right near the cement column, which appears to be at about the height of the right hand truck's box. I didn't see that in the other video. (Maybe I just missed it).

I'm convince there's a hole in the wall.

1) pic1 : the back of the truck seem sunken in the wall
2) pic2 & 3 : the momentum go on, the truck advance on the left
3) we can see backslashs drawn on the wall. Good candidates to indicate a hole.
4) pic2 & 3 : there's no light reflection behind the back of the truck. Good indication of a hole too.

This theory rebuffs the mind because a truck coming perpendicular/in front of, in a tunnel seem not logic. But the hole can be a "service hole" and the truck can be driven by an unskilled robber or whatever.

Now I can be wrong, we must admit we do not have all the components in hand.

As I was looking for the schematics of the Lefortovo Tunnel I came across the following paper: States of Traffic Flow in the Deep Lefortovo Tunnel (Moscow): Empirical Data. Unfortunately, one must pay $25.00 in order to access the full article although they do provide a free preview of the first page. The following is from the first page:

States of Traffic Flow in the Deep Lefortovo
Tunnel (Moscow): Empirical Data
Ihor Lubashevsky1, Cyril Garnisov2, Reinhard Mahnke3, Boris Lifshits2, and
Mikhail Pechersky2

1 A. M. Prokhorov General Physics Institute of Russian Academy of Sciences,
Vavilov str., 38, Moscow, 119311 Russia (ialub@fpl.gpi.ru)
2 Research and Project Institute for City Public Transport,
Sadovo-Samotechnay, 1, Moscow, 103473 Russia (mpechersk@tochka.ru)
3 Universit¨at Rostock, Institut f¨ur Physik, D–18051 Rostock, Germany
(reinhard.mahnke@uni-rostock.de)

Summary. The paper analyses traffic flow data collected in the Lefortovo tunnel (Moscow) in 2004/05. First, it shows the presence of cooperative traffic dynamics in this tunnel and, second, studies the phase portrait of the vehicle ensemble in the
velocity-density plane. In particular, the regions of regular and stochastic dynamics are found and the presence of dynamical traps is demonstrated.

1 Traffic Flow in Long Tunnels
Traffic flow dynamics in long highway tunnels has been studied individually since the middle of the last century (see, e.g., Refs. [1, 2]). Interest in this problem is due to several reasons. The first, and maybe main one, is safety. Jam formation in long tunnels is rather dangerous and detecting the critical states of vehicle flow leading to jams is of prime importance for the tunnel operation. However, the tunnel traffic in its own right is also an attractive object for studying the basic properties of vehicle ensembles on highways because, on one hand, the individual car motion is more controllable inside tunnels with respect to velocity limits and lane changing. On the other hand, long tunnels typically are well equipped for monitoring the car motion practically continuously along them, which provides a unique opportunity to receive a detailed information about the spatio-temporal structures of traffic flow. By this paper we start the analysis of the basic properties exhibited by congested tunnel traffic based on empirical data collected during the last time in several new deep long tunnels located on the 3rd circular highway of Moscow. Here preliminary results for the Lefortovo tunnel (Fig. 1) are presented. It comprises two branches where the upper one is a deep linear three lane tunnel with a length of about 3 km. Exactly in this branch the presented data were...

It seems this paper may contain some information that will help us determine if, indeed, there was a "hole" in the wall within the vicinity of the collision. Perhaps someone here has the ability to access the full article?

[Edit: I also found this image which I think is a map of the Lefortovo Tunnel. (It's in Russian so it may be a map of something else. I'm not really sure.)]

If #2 did exit from a hole in the wall, it would have to make an instantaneous 90 degree turn with all of the truck being completely out of the hole in a split second of time. And, again, and unless there were some frames removed (and I'm no expert in video manipulation), the view further down the tunnel shows the traffic moving at a uniform speed in all three lanes, with no indication of a large out-of-control truck in sight.
Again, maybe I'm seeing only what I want to see, and there really is a very logical 3D explanation for all of this.
But to quote Al Today MuwHaHaHa. Just in case :cool: :cool2: :cool: :cool2:

I gotta say, that with all the abilities available to manipulate both audio and video recordings, I just cannot trust anything.
Heck, I've seen and heard things in person that cannot be explained...
:umm: :umm: :umm:

If #2 did exit from a hole in the wall, it would have to make an instantaneous 90 degree turn with all of the truck being completely out of the hole in a split second of time.
I do not understand what is the problem. The truck come in front of, or at 45° and with the collision, yes, it make an instantaneous 90 degree turn to be perpendicular to the first truck.

If you look at the map found by SeekingtheTruth, you can see that the tunnel is very complex with crossing roads.

Back
Top Bottom