Near-Earth objects and close calls

Yes, it was a simple question that did not need a smart-alecky answer. It would have been too simple, I guess, to just answer the question with an answer that was more than "yes" or "no". Like, "No, and here's why....."

noted, thank you for the feedback

:-)

... "No, and here's why....."

@Glenn and @Nienna,

i've answered @tschai 's question, and you both commented on my wording and i feel things are not well here :-(, i was wondering if you are interested in sharing your thoughts about the WEBB galaxy photos: do you think they are real or not and if so why :-) ?

i've not asked with cryptic, hit and run, smartalecky or intent otherwise ... just curiosity with respect to the forum's topic.

thank you

@Glenn and @Nienna,

i've answered @tschai 's question, and you both commented on my wording and i feel things are not well here :-(, i was wondering if you are interested in sharing your thoughts about the WEBB galaxy photos: do you think they are real or not and if so why :-) ?

i've not asked with cryptic, hit and run, smartalecky or intent otherwise ... just curiosity with respect to the forum's topic.

thank you

Please take this discussion elsewhere as this thread has a dedicated purpose.

Perhaps this video was already shared elsewhere. It's a recent and cool (in a somewhat concerning way ;-)) video that shows how impact of meteorites of various sizes looks like over densly populated areas.

But there are several comments. Although they did show with the first (smaller) meteors how an overhead explotion looks like, in case of "similar to Tunguska event" they made it to impact the earth, while in reality there is no crater after Tunguska event and recent paper by Russian researchers indicates that it was a fragment that only "grazed" the atmosphere and bounced back into space in an angle. But I guess their depiction is still fine, since it allows us to see what damage meteorite this size can do.

We can see that Chelaybinsk meteorite (20 meters) already does some damage, It also depends on an angle of entry, speed and weight, not only size. The next one is a 50 meters meteorite. And although they write that this size falls only every 900 years, it's possible that this is the size that we could be seeing more often in the future. Maybe the 20-50 meter range.

Last edited:
Fireballs in Japan.

This is a camera view of the fireball that flowed at 10:53:01 p.m. on August 9, 2022, from Fuji, Japan, pointing west; the Perseid meteor shower will peak before dawn on August 13, and this was a fireball of scattered meteors.
This is a view of the fireball that flowed at 4:09:13 on August 10, 2022, as captured by a camera pointed southeast from Hiratsuka. It pierced the constellation Orion and left a beautiful green meteor trail. It's been a hot day, but the winter constellations are already rising at dawn. the Perseid meteor shower will reach its peak before dawn on August 13, and it was a fireball of scattered meteors.

Meteor burst with "audio" and video over Utah, and Idaho. Reports done be several local news stations.

Was sitting outside this morning at 7:00 am and heard this loud boum! I checked it if there was any report for failiure of electricity with Hydro-Quebec around where I live and there was none. It wasn't a transformer explosing not the same sound. I ran after up my driveway to have a view of the sky facing north as the sound came from that direction and there wasn't any trail but still it was so loud. There is no construction on sunday so it wasn't tnt either.

I found an interesting video yesterday regarding the consequences of a collision with a massive object. It's educative storytelling done with very limited means, but it really stimulates the imagination, and one can feel the terror of that kind of situation. The whole video lasts more than 6 hours, but I highly recommend watching the first 10 minutes and then using the timecode in the description to skip to interesting parts. Probably it's best to view the first segments (till "the Impact") as one views news on the TV: run it in the background when doing some other things.
The last day of mankind and Cenozoic is coming. The red comet discovered last summer is the twin of the impactor who wiped out dinosaurs 66 million years ago. Same mass, same size, same impact location. Chicxulub impactor was probably an asteroid, but a comet is more beautiful. The comet has simply to be bigger than an asteroid to release the same impact energy. Here the impact parameters:

diameter : 17 km
density : 2630 kg per cubic meter
velocity : 25 km/s
impact angle : 60°
Source : A steeply-inclined trajectory for the Chicxulub impact - Nature Communications

you're right, this is the updated version of my first impact simulation released one year ago. Better rendering, enhanced maps quality, and new features, such as the firestorm induced by the atmospheric reentry of the impact debris.

Maps have been produced using Rstudio, and the pre-impact visuals come from Space Engine.

Back
Top Bottom