Need help with burned esophagus

Gertrudes said:
Shijing said:
If you wanted to try to get ahold of it sooner (which means buying another bottle, but sounds like it might be a good idea), it looks like you can sometimes buy it directly from a veterinarian (particularly one that specializes in horses, where DMSO use seems to be rather commonplace). Searching for something like "horse veterinarians" in your town might bring up some hits if you wanted to try to pursue this. You might have to say that you're buying it for your horse, though.

Many thanks Shijing. I don't really care about buying another bottle at the moment, I really need this now.

I'm not very lucky. It's bank holiday here today, so everything seems to be shut.

Gertrudes said:
I'm not very lucky. It's bank holiday here today, so everything seems to be shut.

How about getting ahold of the aloe vera juice? It contains natural anti-inflammation and anti-bacterial properties -- it's not DMSO, but it might be the next-best thing in the short-term (based on what I've read -- I'm not a doctor, so I'm open to correction in case anyone knows better). Although it's a long-shot, maybe it would be worth it to ask your hospital about DMSO when you go in?

Added: In case you have a hard time tracking aloe juice down, one place to look is Asian supermarkets -- I hope they aren't closed for bank holiday too!

Shijing said:
Gertrudes said:

How about getting ahold of the aloe vera juice? It contains natural anti-inflammation and anti-bacterial properties -- it's not DMSO, but it might be the next-best thing in the short-term (based on what I've read -- I'm not a doctor, so I'm open to correction in case anyone knows better). Although it's a long-shot, maybe it would be worth it to ask your hospital about DMSO when you go in?

Added: In case you have a hard time tracking aloe juice down, one place to look is Asian supermarkets -- I hope they aren't closed for bank holiday too!

Thanks Shijing. I just called somewhere that's opened where they have aloe vera juice plus the DGL tablets mentioned by psyche. My partner is heading there now.

I also called the out of hours GP clinic and the doctor on the phone told me straight away that there is no way they can see the condition of my esophagus with an x ray. He booked me an appointment at the hospital in about 3 hours.

I have to say I'm angry. Maybe it's nothing, but in any case, why don't they properly test people?!

It must be really painfull Gertrudes, please try to also relax as much as you can to lessen it a little bit.
Hope you heal soon :flowers:

Gertrudes said:
I also called the out of hours GP clinic and the doctor on the phone told me straight away that there is no way they can see the condition of my esophagus with an x ray. He booked me an appointment at the hospital in about 3 hours.

I have to say I'm angry. Maybe it's nothing, but in any case, why don't they properly test people?!

Really sorry to hear about this Gertrudes, it does sound terribly painful, and I'm not surprised that you are angry! So frustrating!

I sure hope that you are better soon.

Take care, breathe, and hang in there. :flowers:

Ana said:
It must be really painfull Gertrudes, please try to also relax as much as you can to lessen it a little bit.
Hope you heal soon :flowers:

Yes! I can't even imagine how this must feel. It's awful. Ark burned his esophagus once with a magnesium pill that got stuck, but it finally went down with lots of water so it wasn't too bad. I never take any pills without first getting the flow going by drinking some water. And I use a lot of water to get my pills down!

I'll be checking back later today to see if there is any update.

Gertrudes said:
I just called somewhere that's opened where they have aloe vera juice plus the DGL tablets mentioned by psyche. My partner is heading there now.

Good -- the DGL, aloe, and chamomile tea seem to be the most frequently recommended remedies for esophagus trouble, as far as I can tell.

Hopefully you have some luck at the hospital finding DMSO -- it's possible that they could have some on hand for research purposes; or, if the doctors there are anything like the ones in the US, maybe one of them owns a horse.

Many thanks everyone. I've been seating completely still (only typing posts) which greatly relieves the pain.

I want to mention that I just took aloe vera juice and it brought instant relief. I can actually swallow my saliva without pain. Will be heading to hospital in half an hour though.

Edit: typo

Gertrudes, I've just read through this thread and I'm really sorry you're going through this torture. I hope you get some good news from your examination this evening. Hang in there. :hug:

Gertrudes said:

In my work I come across this type of story so often. It seems that there is a really slap-dash attitude towards people's health in the NHS at present. Or perhaps it is that morale is really low, what with all the spending cuts, the service being top-heavy with management and consultants, and so on. Whatever the reason, it seems that the quality of service is really declining. Luckily you spoke to someone who had some sense.

I have no suggestion to make; I just want to say that I am really sorry that you are going through this. Good to hear that the aloe is working, and remember that this too shall pass!

Gosh, Gertudes! That must be super painful!! I hope you get better soon. Sending thoughts your way. :hug2:

FWIW, That it is recommended (until you recover) that dental hygiene, (if you not aware) will be an issue leading to tooth and gum decay. That in turn may promote health issues with the heart from the decay of the teeth and gums due to bacteria. Here is an article that explains some of the problems with having with acid reflux, and tooth care. Also a few recommendations, many mentioned already. Take care and a speedy recovery. ....PS>I don't buy the fluoride recommendation.

Avoid Tooth Erosion from Acid Reflux
Maybe the discomfort you're feeling after too much fun at a Super Bowl party simply is indigestion. But if you regularly experience bouts of acid reflux disease, you may need to take action to protect your teeth. If left untreated, this condition can lead to serious complications with tooth erosion.

Acid reflux disease
Normally when you swallow, the food and drink travels from your mouth, down your esophagus and into your stomach, where the stomach acids begin digestion. A muscle connecting your esophagus and stomach opens and closes to allow food into your stomach and keep stomach acid out of your esophagus.

Acid reflux, or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), occurs when this muscle weakens and allows the stomach contents to flow back up into your esophagus. You may feel a burning pain in your chest, neck, and throat (heartburn), a sensation of food coming back into your mouth, and a lingering acidic or bitter taste.

Tooth erosion
Your teeth are protected by a thin layer of hard tissue called enamel. Usually your saliva can help maintain the natural pH balance (levels of acid or alkaline) in your mouth, wash away food particles, and rebuild the minerals in your teeth. But sometimes, highly acidic foods, drinks, and drugs can overwhelm saliva's beneficial effects and soften the tooth enamel.

Over time, these highly acidic substances, as well as the stomach liquid from acid reflux, can erode the enamel. When the enamel wears away, the sensitive inner dentin layer of the tooth is exposed, and this can lead to additional, serious complications with the health of your teeth and mouth.

Symptoms of tooth erosion include:

Pain or irritation in your mouth
Sensitivity to certain foods and drinks, especially hot, cold, or sweet
Sharp tooth edges
Darkening teeth
Thinning or shortened teeth
Recommendations for treatment
To prevent acid reflux disease or help treat its symptoms, follow these guidelines:

Avoid fried or fatty foods, peppermint and spearmint, chocolate, alcohol, carbonated drinks, coffee, citrus fruits and juices, pickles, yogurt, vinegar, garlic, onions, peppers, and tomatoes. If any of these are favorite foods, limit them to occasional, small indulgences.
Enjoy smaller, more frequent meals rather than eating large quantities at once.
Take antacid tablets if needed, but don't over-use them.
Lose weight if you are overweight.
Drink plenty of water, and chew sugarless gum to help stimulate saliva.
Do not smoke.
Elevate the head of your bed 6 inches higher than the foot.
If a physician is treating you for acid reflux disease, be sure to let us know. We may prescribe fluoride treatments or a custom-fitted mouthguard to protect your teeth at night. We may also recommend that you use softer toothbrushes and low-abrasion toothpaste.

If tooth erosion is apparent, we may need to treat the situation by restoring your teeth or replacing worn fillings. We may also discourage the use of harsh tooth whiteners if tooth erosion is escalating. If your tooth enamel is severely worn away, we may need to recommend crowns or veneers to restore your bite and protect the health of your teeth.

For more information
If you have questions and concerns about acid reflux and the damage it may be causing your teeth, please call our office. Also, you might find the following websites useful:

Academy of General Dentistry at http://www.agd.org/media/2005/mar/dent_erosion.asp
"Acid-Relief Brief" from the Heartburn Information Center at http://www.heartburn-infocenter.com/tools/AcidReliefBrief/article.asp?article=31
British Dental Health Foundation at http://www.dentalhealth.org.uk/faqs/leafletdetail.php?LeafletID=8
"Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)" at http://www.webmd.com/content/article/6/1680_51289.htm

Well, the doctor at the hospital said that since there are no signs of inner bleeding and that I can still swallow liquids, they won't send me in for an urgent endoscopy. He did advise me to go to my own GP and get that request from him, upon which the hospital can act.
He also said that some constriction might be formed in my esophagus as it heals, which follows what I've been reading on the net. I'll need to keep a constant eye on it.

I'm partly relieved that my symptoms don't call for an urgent endoscopy, although that doesn't really say that it's all good. My next GP appointment is on Friday, so according to how I feel tomorrow I'll decide whether to wait until then or try to push it for earlier. Part of me wants to do it now because as a self employed who's just been on holidays, although I am unable to go back to work now, I can't afford not to work either.

c.a. said:
Acid reflux, or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), occurs when this muscle weakens and allows the stomach contents to flow back up into your esophagus. You may feel a burning pain in your chest, neck, and throat (heartburn), a sensation of food coming back into your mouth, and a lingering acidic or bitter taste.
(...)
Elevate the head of your bed 6 inches higher than the foot.

So, that might explain why I can't lie down. Perhaps acid reflux is augmenting the chest pain.

Many thanks for your thoughts everyone :)

Our medicine is often so limited to diagnose what is wrong with the complex human body... The trick is that they make us believe the opposite.

If their's a professional acupuncturist near you, have an appointment. He can see what is wrong and certainly cool down the inflammation.

Back
Top Bottom