New book by Madame de Salzmann: The Reality of Being

A little over 10 years ago or so I went to meetings with a local "Gurdjieff group" that basically specialized in the dancing/movements and in meditation along with discussions about the Gurdieff ideas. Basically, I think, it was more or less in alignment with the New York Foundations protocols (basically it was weekly meetings, discussions, movement classes).

I don't know for sure whether they were directly connected to the Gurdjieff Foundation or not (probably connected indirectly). The instructors were very aware, or so it seemed to me, psychic even (probably from the meditations) except when I started to talk to one of the instructors about political issues such as 911. Out of external consideration I would bring it up only when I was with him one on one and not at the group meeting which concentrated on the inner aspects of the work.

Well, the reaction from the instructor was pretty severe (!) dismissing any discussion of it and basically accepting the standard yarn from the empty headed/ 'sold out for a paycheck,' cowardly news media airheads. He wouldn't even question it. So right there his objectivity stopped (that is, his willingness to question his own thoughts and understanding), in place of his preferred strong beliefs so as to, basically, quiet his mind in favor of pleasant meditations. He could be very objective imo but only within a very limited context except when it came to applying his objectivity to the world stage. I really get the impression that this might also apply to the (interconnected) Gurdjieff Foundation(s).

If they as a mental force would have all applied their 'super-duper' objectivity to the world political stage including seeing/researching Gurdjieff's ideas within the context of present scientific/psychological research, especially at this point of time in history when it's most needed and find strategic 'sly' ways of criticizing the Government BS to the best of their ability, separating the truth from a lie and by example showing people how to do it, then they might have "grounded" a communication circuit allowing it to transmit information to the populace at several levels of reality and maybe even changing the course of history? I really don't know. You don't really know until an efforts made of course but it seems to me that they opted for a closed universe with pleasant dreams.

I get the impression regarding Madam de Saltzman that the intellectual/outer/scientific/terror of the situation aspects of the teaching was downsized in favor of the 'inner' aspects of the work and this might have reflected itself in the (New York) Foundation also. However her writing the 'first initiation' was very, very good imo.

I get the impression regarding Madam de Saltzman that the intellectual/outer/scientific/terror of the situation aspects of the teaching was downsized in favor of the 'inner' aspects of the work and this might have reflected itself in the (New York) Foundation also. However her writing the 'first initiation' was very, very good imo.

You may be onto something there. The more I think about it, the more convinced I get that Gurdjieff's task for Mme. de Salzmann was to re-establish a First Way school in the West. So it doesn't surprise me that issues related more to Gurdjieff's other missions (such as learning about the past, current events, and the sciences) were eschewed. I wonder if that's because being able to make proper use of such information required a solid kernel of the Fourth Way, which Gurdjieff didn't quite have. At any rate I did notice when Gurdjieff stopped talking about the enneagram and started working on movements....

Back
Top Bottom