Ocular migraine issue

When are your leg cramps happening? Have you noticed a pattern? One leg? Both?
Usually after above normal exercise/physical work--worse when its hot and I sweat a bit. After I have gone to bed or rested in my recliner for a couple hours. They commence suddenly when I lift or move my legs after rest. Usually one leg or one leg bad and the other just a little twitchy. Sometimes both. Sometimes its my feet too and they will curl up in knots. The feet will happen after wearing slightly different level shoes (no heels for me). I have to get up and walk around for several minutes until they go away. I usually drink more water then too. Sometimes they come back several times a night; other times just once or twice.

In regards to the specs, I think I'll do what Fabric first suggested and get a lower strength script just for computer work. I'm not too sure that the issue is in the eyes at this point, so I'm going to focus on the possible deeper issue related to this. Inflammation, build the liver back up, and as Seamas suggested look into getting some acupuncture. Always wanted to try that anyway!
Sounds like good plan, IMO @Beau. I think it’s a great idea to try & heal the underlying issues and acupuncture is absolutely wonderful. If you do ahead with getting your Rx checked with your optometrist, they can let you know the amount of plus that might be best for the computer, depending on your accomodative facility. If you’re going to order online based on the Rx you posted, I’d probably only go for around a +0.75 addition (which will bring your computer Rx to -3.00 for the sphere, with the -0.75 cyls for each eye).

Best wishes getting on top of it all, and keep us posted!

Usually after above normal exercise/physical work--worse when its hot and I sweat a bit. After I have gone to bed or rested in my recliner for a couple hours. They commence suddenly when I lift or move my legs after rest. Usually one leg or one leg bad and the other just a little twitchy. Sometimes both. Sometimes its my feet too and they will curl up in knots. The feet will happen after wearing slightly different level shoes (no heels for me). I have to get up and walk around for several minutes until they go away. I usually drink more water then too. Sometimes they come back several times a night; other times just once or twice.

@shellycheval- one thing that may be helpful is the pcynogenol (French maritime bark) that Laura suggested earlier in this thread. I posted an overview of it from the American Botanical Association on the previous page- it’s helpful for edema in the legs (venous insufficiency) and asthma, while being an overall powerful antioxidant. I’m looking at getting myself some. From the excerpt I posted before:
Pharmacological Actions

Humans
Symptoms of chronic venous insufficiency including edema of the lower legs, feeling of heaviness in the lower legs, cramps, and pain were significantly reduced (Arcangeli, 2000; Petrassi et al., 2000; Schmidtke and Schoop, 1995, 1984); vision was improved in cases of retinal vascular disorder (Spadea and Balestrazzi, 2001; Magnard et al, 1970); smoking-induced platelet aggregation was prevented (Pütter et al., 1999); in patients with cardiovascular diseases, platelet aggregation was reduced (Wang et al., 1999); mild hypertension was reduced to normal (Hosseini et al., 2001a); asthma symptoms and lung function were improved (Hosseini et al., 2001b); reduction of menstrual cramps and pain have been reported (Kohama and Suzuki, 1999); and malformation of human sperm have been normalized (Roseff and Gulati, 1999).

Sounds like good plan, IMO @Beau. I think it’s a great idea to try & heal the underlying issues and acupuncture is absolutely wonderful. If you do ahead with getting your Rx checked with your optometrist, they can let you know the amount of plus that might be best for the computer, depending on your accomodative facility. If you’re going to order online based on the Rx you posted, I’d probably only go for around a +0.75 addition (which will bring your computer Rx to -3.00 for the sphere, with the -0.75 cyls for each eye).

Best wishes getting on top of it all, and keep us posted!

Thanks again for the tips. I'll do just that when I go to my appointment. It's in a little less than two weeks. We'll see if my prescription has changed in 2 years or not.

Any issues with varicose veins or leg swelling?

Also, even after taking Pot/mag, salt and lots of water, I sometimes have violent leg cramps
They say that Magnesium can help with cramps, but what I observed is that I tend to get cramps whenever I change my dose of Magnesium. I had heavy leg cramps some years ago when I began to take Magnesium. Now I only have a slight tendency to cramps when I lower, but also when I upper the dose. So maybe an irregular intake could cause it? But maybe it's also related to the potassium? Beef for example contains quite a bit of potassium already, so instead of taking a lot of potassium and salt maybe you should look into the potassium/sodium balance of your average diet, since the ratio may be more important then the amount.

@shellycheval- one thing that may be helpful is the pcynogenol (French maritime bark) that Laura suggested earlier in this thread. I posted an overview of it from the American Botanical Association on the previous page- it’s helpful for edema in the legs (venous insufficiency) and asthma, while being an overall powerful antioxidant. I’m looking at getting myself some. From the excerpt I posted before:

Thank you Arwenn-- I agree and have it on my list of supplements to try.

maybe you should look into the potassium/sodium balance of your average diet, since the ratio may be more important then the amount.

Good advice mrtn--I will pay attention to those details and see what effects they have on the issue.

Any issues with varicose veins or leg swelling?

Good question Yupo, but no. Even before my heart attack in 2014, resulting in a triple by-pass (from which my Cardiologist is delighted with my recovery) I did not have any noticeable swelling. The cramps seem to come from some fluid/mineral/?substance? imbalance generated by a combination of muscle stress and fluid loss through sweat, and not every night, but often enough that I would like to find a solution. What I have been unable to figure out is what to add or take away to counter those effects. Many thanks for your help.

Thank you Arwenn-- I agree and have it on my list of supplements to try.

Good advice mrtn--I will pay attention to those details and see what effects they have on the issue.

Good question Yupo, but no. Even before my heart attack in 2014, resulting in a triple by-pass (from which my Cardiologist is delighted with my recovery) I did not have any noticeable swelling. The cramps seem to come from some fluid/mineral/?substance? imbalance generated by a combination of muscle stress and fluid loss through sweat, and not every night, but often enough that I would like to find a solution. What I have been unable to figure out is what to add or take away to counter those effects. Many thanks for your help.
A lot of times nocturnal cramps are vein related. Sounds like your case might be more of an electrolyte issue. We used to give OTC Quinine for night cramps. The experts now say not to use it for that.

Hello Beau,

I have the same problem since the age of 16-17 years old.
Migraines always occur during periods of fatigue or stress. I didn't work on a screen when I first had migraines, but afterwards I realized that it could have an impact. Among the factors: stress, fatigue, focus and brightness. I was able to have up to three migraines a week with symptoms ranging from vision to tingling in the extremities to speech problems (only once but very worrying). I went for an MRI which revealed absolutely nothing abnormal in my brain. Seizures last from 30 minutes to 8-9 hours. I consulted an osteopath ten years ago and today by taking care to wear sunglasses in case of strong luminosity and avoiding focusing such as working too long on a screen, the frequency of seizures has been reduced. I had to have one in 3 years. Even though people don't talk about it much in families, I knew that my grandfather, one of my uncles and his children were also prone to migraines. Cheer up!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

A lot of times nocturnal cramps are vein related. Sounds like your case might be more of an electrolyte issue. We used to give OTC Quinine for night cramps. The experts now say not to use it for that.

Thank you Yupo--I'll give them a try.

The cramps seem to come from some fluid/mineral/?substance? imbalance generated by a combination of muscle stress and fluid loss through sweat, and not every night, but often enough that I would like to find a solution. What I have been unable to figure out is what to add or take away to counter those effects. Many thanks for your help.
One coach at my gym had the same problem for two years, nothing helped until one doctor suggested to start taking iron supplements and that finaly cured it. I have no idea how it's connected or if it could help in your case, but maybe you want to check it further.

Hi Beau

I’ve been experiencing this since childhood. No computers back in those days and perfect eyesight. In my case, it means my neck is out of alignment. A nerve is most likely being pressed on.

However, I do believe with the amount of time spent sitting at computers and looking down at phones these days, that our necks are under a lot of pressure!

Have you considered seeing an Osteopath or chiropractor?

I hope you find out what’s causing them - it’s not a fun thing to experience! All the very best.

I’ve been experiencing this since childhood. No computers back in those days and perfect eyesight. In my case, it means my neck is out of alignment. A nerve is most likely being pressed on.

However, I do believe with the amount of time spent sitting at computers and looking down at phones these days, that our necks are under a lot of pressure!

Have you considered seeing an Osteopath or chiropractor?

I had been dealing with some painful neck/shoulder issues, but that went away about a year and a half ago. That area is feeling much, much better now, although I do notice that if I have to do something that requires me to look downward when I'm standing up for an extended period it can stress my neck so there's probably still some inflammation . Back then I went to a chiropractor for about six months, sometimes 2-3 times a week. But he was not a snap and crack type, very gentle. X-rays showed my 5th or 6th vertebrae was misaligned, so he worked on getting it back to where it was supposed to be. Now that I use a chiropractic pillow and have a massage gun at home, I hardly ever have the awful neck pains that I use to. But there are still some things that stress my neck area so I think I need to work on reducing inflammation via diet, AHT, minerals/supplements, and at the same time try to reduce the fatigue in my eyes. An osteopath would be a good idea if the neck issue crops up again.

Sorry to hear about your ocular problem, Beau. You have received lots of great advice already, so I just wanted to echo the importance of maintaining a good electrolyte balance for optimal nerve signaling. Coffee may deplete our bodies of electrolytes/minerals, so it's important to regularly replenish our systems. Personally, I start every day with half a glass of warm sea salted water first thing in the morning before breakfast, works very good for me.

Berries also seem like a very good idea. Some time ago I stopped drinking tea and now I just freeze berries from my garden in summer and then add boiling water and drink such berry tea all winter long. My idea is that birds have the sharpest vision on Earth, and their diet usually consists of protein and berries, so... :-D

Like many others, I also spend 100% of my job time at the computer. One of the simple things that helps me is to regularly remind myself to blink. When we stare at the screen, we often forget doing it. As a result, our eyes become tense and dry. So just following such simple tips may help to keep our eyes in a better shape. Fwiw

Hello Beau, I would like to propose you some exercises and massages from Qi-Gong.I have transcribed (roughly) what is said to indicate each exercise. I hope they can help you relieve your migraines and maybe also your vision problems. I started doing them a few months ago, and I feel an improvement in my cataracts. Here is the transcript:

In Chinese medicine the eyes are connected to the liver, but inside the eye there are different connections to other organs, like the kidneys, or the heart. It is often said that the eyes are the door to the liver, but it is also said that they are the mirror of the soul. So there is also a relationship with the emotions, with stress, fatigue. We can therefore work on the internal energy, to revitalize the ocular functions. In the long run, with daily practice, we can correct dysfunctions such as myopia, presbyopia, and others. It all depends on the asuidity with which one does these exercises.

Exercises:

We simply rub the hands, simply, we put energy in the hands, especially in the point that is almost in the center of the palms.

Then, with the hands we will gather the energy from the sky and gradually bring it back towards the eyes. The eyes are closed, the palms are hollow, and we stay a few seconds while breathing in gently. Imagine that the energy enters the eyes. Exhale while lowering your hands. Repeat this exercise 3 times.

We open our eyes, look very far away, if possible in a green space, the green color being very good for liver energy. Otherwise, you can look very far, without staring at anything in particular.

Then we are going to stimulate certain points, notably the stomach, the bladder and the vesicle, to accentuate the chi at eye level. We will work with the middle finger, and stimulate the 1V point by inhaling while pressing, and exhaling while releasing. We do this eight times.

Now we will press the B2 point, from the bladder to the base of the eyebrows, 8 times. The pressure is invigorating, but it doesn't hurt.

We go to the center of the eyebrow, 8 times, and then to the outer base of the eye, 8 times. We finish by pressing the E1 meridian of the stomach, below the eye, approximately in the center, 8 times.

Then we open our eyes wide to make small movements:
- 20 times from top to bottom, well up,
-20 times left-right
- 20 times diagonally, top left - bottom right
- 20 times diagonally top right - bottom left-right
- we make large circular rotations, 10 times in one direction, and 10 times in the other.

We blink a little, then warm our hands, pick up the energy, bring it back, bring the intention on the eyes, on the hands, let lếnergie diffuse inside the eye, 1 time.

We place the index finger in front of us, and we'll have fun fixing the finger, and then fix something that is far enough away, (at least, 5-6 meters), 10 times (or more, if you want). Make sure you are sharp in the distance and upwind.

We'll warm our hands, and with the base of the pad (opposite the thumb) we'll make small rotations on the eyeball, eyes closed, pressing gently. 10 times towards the inside, 10 times towards the outside. We can finish by rubbing the eyes, stimulating the acupuncture points around the eye.

Then, with the middle finger, we will press on the temples, inhaling while we press, and exhaling when we release.

To finish, we warm the hands, which must already be warm, we capture, we bring the energy back to the eyes, we breathe in while the hands transmit this soft energy which goes deep into the eye. The third time we can leave the hands on the eyes longer. As you exhale, you bring the energy down to your lower abdomen.

These exercises should be done without glasses, and according to Bruno de soie-zen, after 6 months, or maybe a year, one can be surprised to be able to do without glasses.

He adds:

Since 2015 the vision is completely reversed, following an awakening experience where everything tips over like a tsunami taking away all illusions and beliefs and giving way to a presence of the moment filled with love and compassion. Everything is!
Living the moment without separation, the joy of the heart expresses itself freely.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
I hope that translation is understandable

Back
Top Bottom