Onion Rings!!!!!!

This looks delicious, I will be trying it as well this week.

Just got done making my first batch, -- I need to practice a bit with making sure the batter doesn't stick to the pan, but they are REALLY good! Thanks for sharing, E :)

Shijing said:
Just got done making my first batch, -- I need to practice a bit with making sure the batter doesn't stick to the pan, but they are REALLY good! Thanks for sharing, E :)

You're welcome. Our first batch was the same story, the oil needs to be really hot, then the batter doesn't stick to the pan.

Onion rings!!! Thanks so much for posting this E, I'm so looking forward to making this.

I wonder if you could use this same recipe of batter for vegetables like zuchini, eggplant, spinach, sweet potatoes stuff like that. Holy Tempura, Batman! :)

DanielS said:
I wonder if you could use this same recipe of batter for vegetables like zuchini, eggplant, spinach, sweet potatoes stuff like that. Holy Tempura, Batman! :)

Actually, I think that should work -- when my daughter tried them tonight, the first thing she said was, "This is like tempura!"

Shijing said:
DanielS said:

Actually, I think that should work -- when my daughter tried them tonight, the first thing she said was, "This is like tempura!"

And if you add in sushi and substitute white with brown rice, that's almost an entire bento box! :D

Gluten Free Life has just moved into the next dimension!

I put in chopped sweet potato and made fritters yesterday for brunch.

WOW. Sprinkled with sea salt, these were amazing! :wow: :love:

Mine were fried in grapeseed oil in an iron skillet, and I have just enough batter left for today. YUM!

I love the tempura idea. Nothing like crispy veggies in ginger sauce....*swoon*

I deep fried battered chicken a few weeks ago with the pancake recipe. The only thing about deep frying is that you have to use a lot of oil for one meal and then toss it. I use a small pot so it doesn't take too much to get an inch or so of oil.

3D Student said:
I deep fried battered chicken a few weeks ago with the pancake recipe. The only thing about deep frying is that you have to use a lot of oil for one meal and then toss it. I use a small pot so it doesn't take too much to get an inch or so of oil.

You don't have to toss it!! Just strain it with some cheesecloth or something and re-use the oil for the next batch!

anart said:
3D Student said:

You don't have to toss it!! Just strain it with some cheesecloth or something and re-use the oil for the next batch!

Oops, you beat me to it, anart. :D I reuse mine at least once before I clean the skillet, but I don't put more than a quarter inch of oil in.

anart said:
3D Student said:

I didn't think it was really healthy to reuse it. But it would definitely need some straining because of all of the little black bits that get in it.

By the way, thank you for the recipe E. I made these the other day, along with chicken nuggets. I didn't think the onion rings would be so good, I was surprised! They were better than the nuggets :P. It's cool when you put them in and they instantly poof into a thick ring around the onion. And if you get the batter thick and put a lot on the onion, it's like an onion doughnut!

I had some batter left when I did this, so I put it in a sandwich bag and cut a little hold in a corner and squirted it out to make a little funnel cake. I put powdered xylitol and cinnamon on it, but it was a little salty using the onion and chicken batter.

Adding some D-ribose makes them more red in color and crispy. I'm wondering why the ones in the picture look so yellowish, mine look a dark grayish red from the buckwheat flour and D-ribose. I didn't use the milk and just used water though, and no mustard either.

3D Student said:
Adding some D-ribose makes them more red in color and crispy. I'm wondering why the ones in the picture look so yellowish, mine look a dark grayish red from the buckwheat flour and D-ribose. I didn't use the milk and just used water though, and no mustard either.

The D-ribose might have something to do with it. It could also be the flour you're using. We get two kinds of flour here. One is whole buckwheat (containing hulls and everything), and it produces very dark grey/brown batter/blinis/etc. We also use a lighter four that looks more like the picture E posted.

Tried out the batter yesterday and was successful with onion rings and broccoli. Both came out delicious! Unfortunately, the zuchini and eggplant ones weren't too successful. I think the batter should have been a bit less thick for those ...

Approaching Infinity said:
3D Student said:

The D-ribose might have something to do with it. It could also be the flour you're using. We get two kinds of flour here. One is whole buckwheat (containing hulls and everything), and it produces very dark grey/brown batter/blinis/etc. We also use a lighter four that looks more like the picture E posted.

Next time I try this out I'm going to use the light buckwheat flour. I used the flour with a lot of hulls in it as well as rice milk, and the colour came out dark, almost like chocolate.

E said:
Shijing said:

You're welcome. Our first batch was the same story, the oil needs to be really hot, then the batter doesn't stick to the pan.

I thought olive oil wasn't good to use for high heat? :huh:

Back
Top Bottom