Onion Rings!!!!!!

OnionRings.jpg

I cooked some sweet potato fries along with them for a little variety.

Y'all must be using a different variety of buckwheat flour. Mine turned out really dark compared to everyone else.

Some didn't get completely coated in batter, but it still worked for the most part. I can see why one needs the onion pieces as dry as possible for the batter to stick. I think next time I will cut the onion pieces several hours in advance and set them on a drying rack just for a bit. Still, the taste was delicious!

By the way, these are more filling than I expected. I finished about half this plate before my tummy started to feel satisfied.

Thanks again for the recipe E! :)

That's what mine look like RyanX. I made some this morning for breakfast, along with sweet potato fries, and a deep fried banana. I've never fried a banana, it was an interesting gummy texture.

Sometimes my onion rings will stick to the bottom, but when I put some tapioca flour in the batter, it seems to help make them not stick so much. I also patted the onion rings with a paper towel to get them drier. And they are indeed quite filling. A large onion makes a lot of rings.

These are just awesome! Tried onion rings the other day and the batter slid off the rings, but they turned out ok. Today I thinned out the batter a little and cut up some zuchinni ahead of time to let it dry a little bit, they came out absolutely perfect (osit).

Definitely going to be trying to fry some other things... Deep-fried sugar-free chocolate anyone? :O

They look delicious! Never use deep fry cooking before, always thought that it was unhealthy food and leave to much of a odor after, but if use with good ingredients, I don't see any arm in cooking that way. I will try the onion ring and the chicken finger with the batter.

Thank for sharing the recipe E.

Posté par: RyanX
Y'all must be using a different variety of buckwheat flour. Mine turned out really dark compared to everyone else.

Here we have two varieties of buckwheat floor, gray an green, the green is more of a yellowish color and as a more gentle taste.

3D Student
September 05, 2010, 09:04:47 PM
I didn't think it was really healthy to reuse it. But it would definitely need some straining because of all of the little black bits that get in it.

Mrs. Peel Reply #29 on: September 07, 2010, 06:09:00 PM
I thought olive oil wasn't good to use for high heat?

Gandalf Reply #32 on: September 08, 2010, 06:51:06 AM
Have a look at that article to see the smoking point for different oils.

E Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 09:56:53 AM
Yeah, I basically meant that the oil should be hot enough that it starts frying immediately. You know like when you used to make french fries, and you tested the oil's heat with one initially to see if the oil is hot enough, and when it starts frying immediately, you know the oil is ready.

There seemed to be a little uncertainty on the temperature's needed to the oils used, as well as what is the best choice of oils to deep fry or not fry.

One item that is know is that deep fried foods, and high temperature's to any oils when deep frying of foods with higher temperatures, change the molecular structure of any oils. Also when repeated reuse of the once used oils under these condition's, creates a Frankenstein change to the oils, and the destructive capability's to health. The main concern is the release of free radicals and their destructive ability's they have on the immune systems as well as cardiovascular health. This article might give a better insight to what i am referring too.

Frying And Deep-Frying _http://keepwell.telenet.co.za/frying.htm

Ok, this will be a hard one for some, but we would not have your better interests at heart if we held back on the truth. We believe that frying and deep frying are major causes of cancer - and there is plenty of scientific evidence to support this.

As you consider the following, may we again remind you that you do not have to give up anything - you only have to switch to using better alternatives. Whatever you have fried in the past can be baked and, because your taste buds will not be coated in oil, your food will taste so much better - especially if you bake at a temperature not exceeding 160C. Whatever you have sautéed in the past can be sautéed in cold processed/cold pressed sesame oil provided you do so at a low temperature - and only if you have a glass Vision frying pan. You do not want to sauté in any metal pan. Also see the "Safe" Frying suggestions below.

Whether you take this advice seriously or not, and we urge you to do so, do read the warnings regarding non-stick cookware and pop-corn vendors.

Frying - Be Warned?

`What happens in frying? Temperatures up to 600-700 degrees F. may be obtained. If fried foods become burned or scorched, temperatures up to 1000 or 1100 degrees F. may have been reached. At these temperatures ``cis'' fatty acids are converted to ``trans'' fatty acids . . . in other words, the unsaturated fats behave as if they were saturated. Thus, fried foods are more likely than un-fried foods to increase the likelihood of hardening of the arteries. When fat is reheated to frying temperatures the second time, as in a deep fryer [or a popcorn vendor], the fat is more likely to develop the cancer producing agent acrolein.' (Dr Agatha Thrash, Nutrition for Vegetarians, p. 46)

`The dangers to health of frying and deep-frying result from rapid oxidation and other chemical changes that take place when oils are subjected to high temperature in the presence of light and oxygen.
First, antioxidants in the oil (vitamin E and carotene) are used up.
Then, frying and deep-frying produce free radicals that start chain reactions in oil molecules.

`Under these conditions, many chemical changes take place in oils. Frying and deep-frying produce some trans- fatty acids. These are the least harmful of the altered molecules produced by these processes.
Other oxidation products are far more toxic than trans- fatty acids.
Scores of unnatural breakdown, dimer, and polymer products with unknown effects on health are produced by frying and deep-frying.

`Frying with oils once will not kill us, and so [this practice] seems harmless. Our body copes with toxic substances. But over 10, 20, or 30 years, our cells accumulate altered and toxic products for which they have not evolved efficient detoxifying mechanisms. The altered and toxic substances interfere with our body's life chemistry, our `bio-chemistry'. Cells then degenerate, and these degenerative processes manifest as degenerative diseases. (Udo Erasmus, Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill, pg. 125,126)

"Safe" Frying

`Frying is not recommended, because safe frying is a contradiction in terms. Frying temperatures are too high. When foods turn brown, they have been burned. The nutrients in the browned material have been destroyed. Proteins turn into carcinogenic acrolein. Starches and sugars are browned (caramelized) through molecular destruction. Fats and oils are turned to smoke by destruction of fatty acids and glycerol.
(Udo Erasmus, Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill, pg. 126)

`There is a way of frying with oils that contain EFAs that is less damaging than common frying practices, but this way of frying requires more care on our part than we ordinarily take in our frying operations.

`Traditional Chinese cooks first put water in their wok, not oil (North American Chinese cooks have largely abandoned this wise practice). Water keeps the temperature down to 100ºC (212ºF), a non-destructive temperature.

`In European gourmet cooking, vegetables placed in the frying pan before oil is added protect the oil from overheating and oxidation. The food tastes less burned, retains more of its natural flavors and nutrients and, most important, supports our health better.

`It requires care to fry foods in this way, because we cannot be away doing something else at the same time. It would be best to not fry at all, and to eat our fresh oils on salads or get them from eating seeds. We are creatures of habit, but a small change in the way we fry with oils pays large dividends in health and wellbeing.

`In frying, our usual custom is to pour oil into an empty frying pan, and to let it heat, shimmy, and smoke before adding the foods we want to fry. During this time, the oil is being destroyed. The temperature is too high.
Light-catalyzed free radical oxidation reactions occur extremely rapidly.

`Oil kept at 215ºC (419ºF) for 15 minutes or more consistently produces atherosclerosis when fed to experimental animals. In commercial deep-frying operations, the same batch of oil is often kept at a high temperature constantly for days. Many altered substances have been isolated from such oils. Some are known to be toxic; the effects of many others are not known; and we can be fairly confident that none of them will improve health.

`Oils least damaged by high temperatures and oxygen include (in order of preference):

butter;

tropical fats;

high oleic sunflower (not regular sunflower) oil;

high oleic safflower (not regular sunflower) oil;

peanut oil;

sesame oil;

canola oil; and

olive oil;

[the latter 6 oils are all distributed by Nature's Choice in a cold pressed and cold processed form - but we still suggest that you switch to baking wherever possible rather than frying.]

`These oils are EFA-poor, and produce the lowest amount of toxic molecules when heated. The EFAs required for health must come from other sources.

`Frying and deep-frying are completely prohibited if optimum health is what you are after, or if you are attempting to reverse cancer or any other degenerative condition using natural means. (Udo Erasmus, Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill, pg. 125-128)

General Warnings:

Pop-Corn Vendors: [Have you ever looked inside the frying pot in a popcorn vending machine? It is usually black and caked with very old grease. The oil will have been heated hundreds of times over and must constitute one of the greatest dangers to health. When next you have a cold or the flu, think back on whether you ate popcorn from a vending machine over the past few days. (If you did not do so, then you probably consumed an unhealthy dose of sugar over the past few days.)

Frying In Cream: Some people get the idea that because we sometimes recommend the use of cream in place of oil in recipes, they can safely fry in cream. This is not so. While cream from a healthy cow is a better alternative to any free fat, when we heat cream, the fat in the cream will be converted into a damaging fat. One symptom of eating food that has been fried in cream is the inability to fall asleep at night.

Laura said:
The oil issue can be easily solved by using lard, tallow, duck fat or coconut oil, all of which do well at high temperatures.

OK, of all the above, coconut oil is about the only thing found readily around here. Oh, and I actually got a cast-iron skillet! It says it was preseasoned and ready to use. I fried up some onions and chicken sausage in it with oilve oil, and noticed it seemed to smoke a bit but maybe that was the steam coming from the onions. I don't know enough about cooking to tell the difference! :lol:

Mrs. Peel said:
Oh, and I actually got a cast-iron skillet! It says it was preseasoned and ready to use.

I have one too that was preseasoned from Lodge. Just a note, some of the oil they use to preseason is a vegetable oil so it will have soy in it. When I got mine I scrubbed it really hard with soap and hot water with a scour pad and I think some fine steel wool. I got most of it off except for some on the sides which really doesn't matter. I think you can also heat the pan really hot and burn it off, but be careful not to put it in cold water when it's really hot because it can crack.

3D Student said:
I have one too that was preseasoned from Lodge. Just a note, some of the oil they use to preseason is a vegetable oil so it will have soy in it. When I got mine I scrubbed it really hard with soap and hot water with a scour pad and I think some fine steel wool. I got most of it off except for some on the sides which really doesn't matter. I think you can also heat the pan really hot and burn it off, but be careful not to put it in cold water when it's really hot because it can crack.

Well, this is timely! Mine is also a Lodge and I did think the same as you about what did they use to season it with?? Well, I didn't scrub it off tho. Today I tried to make my first batch of buckwheat pancakes in it (I'd already used it before) and it was a disaster!! I put olive oil in the skillet (the only thing I have) and the pancakes just sat there in the oil and stuck to the bottom of the pan and it was an awful mush I had to throw away.

I've read several things on seasoning a cast iron pan, but what's the quickest and easiest way to do it? My husband was against getting one cause he says they are a PITA to season and you have to keep doing it after each use. With my intense dislike of anything cooking-related to start with, having to go through all that each time I use a skillet would make me tend to agree... ;D

Mrs. Peel said:
I've read several things on seasoning a cast iron pan, but what's the quickest and easiest way to do it?

I used to do something like this: http://www.wikihow.com/Season-Cast-Iron-Cookware. It involves coating the pan with oil and putting it in the oven upside down. I think you want the temperature to be to where the oil is smoking so it fuses to the pan.

But I haven't done that in months and mine is pretty well seasoned now. In one of the videos I think, Laura says to get your pan really hot with oil so that it smokes. Then put it under running hot water. This is supposed to make the molecules of oil get into the pan. It makes the pan a white color when you do it.

I do this usually when I'm done with cooking and have transferred the food to a plate. It makes more sense to do it before you eat because the pan is still hot and you can raise the temperature until it starts to smoke. Then I usually clean it a little with a brillo pad and put it on the burner at a low temp to evaporate all the water. Then with a paper towel I put a coat of olive oil on it for storage. Ghee or animal fat might work better because they get solid at higher temperatures, so the pan isn't all oily.

I have found that using oil to season it, makes my skillet "tacky". Rather, I use lard or shortening (the only thing I use shortening for). Then, bake it (for the first seasoning) in the oven - don't remember at what temp or for how long as I did mine years ago. After every use, I clean it and dry it on the stovetop (coating it with a small amount of shortening and letting it "cook" for 1 minute).

FireShadow said:
I have found that using oil to season it, makes my skillet "tacky". Rather, I use lard or shortening (the only thing I use shortening for). Then, bake it (for the first seasoning) in the oven - don't remember at what temp or for how long as I did mine years ago. After every use, I clean it and dry it on the stovetop (coating it with a small amount of shortening and letting it "cook" for 1 minute).

That's what I do too, only use lard.

For the initial seasoning preheat oven to 250-300F (120-130C) using a generous amount of lard - as stated above oil will make it sticky - so avoid, put pan in the oven for 15 mins, remove pan and pour off fat, put pan back in oven upside down and bake for two hours. Repeat several times to really form a bond.

After cooking wipe out with kitchen paper, and if really dirty with foodstuff, scrub with a scourer using hot water only. If the pan is relatively free of foodstuff, just run it under hot water, dry with a paper towel, place pan on a ring, and coat with lard to cook for a minute or so, wait for it to cool and then store.

Have fun in the process.

Trevrizent said:
That's what I do too, only use lard.

Will coconut oil work? i really can't find any lard around here other than that horrible vegetable shortening Crisco stuff.

Trevrizent said:
Have fun in the process.

Are you kidding, that's a lot of WORK!! :lol:

Coconut oil will do, if it is ok for you, but it may end up sticky. Ghee will do too. In fact I pan saute with a mixture of lard and butter, or just lard. I have yet to get coconut oil to test. :)

Back
Top Bottom