Organic weed wackers

Hey Guardian, As you are aware that they're very vulnerable at this age. If you keep them out doors as to a barn, that there a predators that can smell them in the area due to there sent. This is especially true for bears. Sadly this is a dream come true for the taking by coyotes, fox's, even a wolverine's and badgers, will make an attempt if it is big enough. Also that badgers are diggers and will tunnel under a fence line.

Cougars, mountain lions, as well as bobcats, will have no problem jumping that fence and taking them for food. Out here there are many free range animals grazing the grasses that wear bells for making there movements known. Owners can better track them if they can't be seen or needed to be rounded up. But i like your approach as to the hassle and exposure to the by product's of a weeded whacker, the enviorment and as well as to yourself. :thup: Also there Cute as botton ;D though.

c.a. said:
Hey Guardian, As you are aware that they're very vulnerable at this age.

Yes, in fact, since they're Pygmy goats they will be still be very vulnerable to predators even when they're grown. You hit on one of my biggest fears here because we are surrounded by wildlife and coyotes are a BIG threat to them, even during the daytime.

We built a VERY sturdy (1"plywood) night house for them under the back porch right next to my bedroom. The door has a cement footer so nothing can dig under it and all the vents are covered with welded wire. Lily (the dog) and I can hear them if they so much as bleat at night. Of course no pen is going to be able to keep a determined predator out, but it doesn't have to...it just has to delay them long enough for the goats to yell and one of us to run a few feet out the back door with a rifle.

We are starting the dog pack introduction process today if they feel up to it. There are 5 VERY large dogs living here (and one small one) who are all used to goats and other critters, so once they accept the goats as a part of their pack, Hagar and Hilda will be well protected when they're out during the day too.

anart said:
Guardian said:
Everybody please meet two new additions to our family... Hagar and Hildagard :)

Oh my lord... they are adorable. I have to admit I'm jealous! I wonder if my neighborhood is zoned for goats? ;)

Hilda keeps trying to snatch my cigarettes :lol:

My cat was raised with the late, great Greta the Goat...Jet the Magnificent Kat eats a lot of grass and plants, and loves to head-but...unfortunately, he mostly just bounces off...

Excellent Guardian.!.!.!

While thinking of my cats for smaller vermin, the dogs for larger two & four legged vermin, goats methinks are necessary for 2D "vermin" control. And some fun.!.!.! But I bet they can have some attitude, yes???

:P :P :P

edit: who invented the lawnmower anyway???

nwigal said:
My cat was raised with the late, great Greta the Goat...Jet the Magnificent Kat eats a lot of grass and plants, and loves to head-but...unfortunately, he mostly just bounces off...

Owwww ...that's gotta hurt :scared:

Al Today said:
Excellent Guardian.!.!.!

While thinking of my cats for smaller vermin, the dogs for larger two & four legged vermin, goats methinks are necessary for 2D "vermin" control. And some fun.!.!.! But I bet they can have some attitude, yes???

Actually it's kinda sad right now...they are VERY scared and confused. They keep calling for their momma and then stand real still listening for her to answer. They were surrounded by other goats, cows, a horse, etc. before...now it's just us.

We decided to delay the dog introductions...except for Lily (she lives right over top of them)and just let them get used to their new home...and answer the "Momma" calls with cuddles and treats.

They're scared, can't blame 'em. Everything is new and the "old" life is gone. Takes a little time till they recognize and feel comfortable in their new home. I'm sure eventually you'll all be barnyard buddies. In my experience, it's easy to make friends with snacks and smiles I think they may "feel" your good nature.
:) :) :)

Guardian, they are absolutely gorgeous! :love:

I know that with you they will have the best home ever. And it sounds like they will have a lot of big four-footed guardians (and one little one) of their own. Just give them time and they will adjust to their new diggs once they realize the love they will be getting. :)

My neighbor, down the hill from me, just did some serious rearranging of his property. He built what looked like a small cottage near his outlying vegetable garden, put up all new fencing and built what looked like a corral near the new structure. Once finished, the "guest house" was actually a nice little lodging for pygmy goats and cochon (little French pigs that looked like miniature wild boar). The goats had babies a couple of months ago. Very cute. His elaborate fencing is now seen as a method of sectioning off multiple grazing areas. When an area gets well grown, it is opened to the goats who keep it neatly trimmed, while the other areas recover their growth. A pretty clever way to save mowing and feed costs.

The cochon seem to have disappeared. I think they may have been the guests of honor at a recent holiday dinner.

Rabelais said:
The cochon seem to have disappeared. I think they may have been the guests of honor at a recent holiday dinner.

:scared: I would say meat makes up about 75% of my diet, but I don't think I could eat a critter I'd gotten to know first. Once it has a name, its status is no longer "on the table" ;D

Hagar has been neutered, but Hilda has not yet been altered. After reading up on goats, I decided against "budding" her. She'll be spade after her first heat because she'll have fewer problems if she's allowed to fully mature first.

Al Today said:
They're scared, can't blame 'em. Everything is new and the "old" life is gone. Takes a little time till they recognize and feel comfortable in their new home. I'm sure eventually you'll all be barnyard buddies. In my experience, it's easy to make friends with snacks and smiles I think they may "feel" your good nature. :) :) :)

Yup...."friends" is no longer an issue ...I'm now replacement mommy. :)

Now the only thing we have to work on is Hilda's attachment issues...she doesn't want to go outside and be an organic weed wacker, she wants to sit inside, on my lap...while I'm on the computer. I'm learning to type one handed while I use the other to scratch her between the horns :P

I'm learning to type one handed while I use the other to scratch her between the horns Tongue

:lol: :lol: :lol: :flowers:

My gray cat does the same thing. Only she rolls like a gator and plays the "don't drop the kitty" game. ;D

Guardian said:
[...] she wants to sit inside, on my lap... [...]

Please excuse my obvious ignorance, for I've never "played" with goats. Don't they have hooves? Wouldn't those hurt with them jumping up on your lap?
:halo: :halo: :halo:

Al Today said:
Guardian said:
[...] she wants to sit inside, on my lap... [...]

Please excuse my obvious ignorance, for I've never "played" with goats. Don't they have hooves? Wouldn't those hurt with them jumping up on your lap?
:halo: :halo: :halo:

Well, it's not exactly what you'd call comfortable, but her little hooves are only a bit larger than my thumb ...for now :shock:

Back
Top Bottom