Paleo Women/Diet and Menstruation

Yas said:
:lol: Yeah, I guess we better move to the paleo women's cycles health thread. But I just want to add that I've been using reusable organic cotton pads for a while now and I really like them. They are pricey but you save a lot in the long term and they're healthy so that's important. There are many sites that sell them but I got mine from a friend who makes them herself (something that I want to learn too :) )

The cup is very uncomfortable for me, so I don't use it, but I think is because of my body's constitution. Most women I know who have tried it say they really like it.

This video actually gives a great demonstration on how the cups work.

I find myself leaning more toward the cups then reusable pad/underwear because it just seems like less fuss! From what I hear from most women is, they usually just 'dump' it when they're in the shower, rinse and put it right back. Easy peasy, right? At least compared to washing a used pad every day, which I'm open to if the cups don't work for me.

Although I don't know if I'll like the cups, I mean, I feel uncomfortable with tampons, hence why I don't use them, I can only imagine what this is gonna be like?! But hey, you can't loss anything from trying right? XD

loreta said:
I used to use these tampons when I had menstruation (sight), and I saw a big difference with the amount of blood and time of of the duration of my menstruation. With the regular tampons "tampax" my days of menstruation would lapse maybe around 6 days. But with this organic brand 2 or 3 days. Amazing.

:O That is truly amazing!!!

Solie said:
Lilyalic said:
The cups seems the best option yes, but there's just something about it that really makes me cringe. I think I have a phobia of some kind from having the Copper coil and having so many problems with it. :/

What's Copper Coil Lilyalic? I mean in reference to this? And if you're worried about sanitary issues, menstrual cups are actually more sanitary then Pads, as they don't cause TSS.

Either way, there is actually plenty of options out there that don't have to necessarily be menstrual cups. They also have reusable menstrual underwear, which I've personally have been looking into, although they're a bit pricey.

I haven't done the transition myself to either or, but after this discussion I'm definitely going to make it a priority for the next cycle.

(On a side note... I think we hijacked this thread - us girls XD)

The copper coil was something I had to contraception about 3/4 years ago, it gave me pelvic inflammatory disease and may have caused infertility and many other issues, it took many visits to the doctor to have it remove... so I just have some kind of phobia of any objects.

Lilyalic said:
The copper coil was something I had to contraception about 3/4 years ago, it gave me pelvic inflammatory disease and may have caused infertility and many other issues, it took many visits to the doctor to have it remove... so I just have some kind of phobia of any objects.

I am sorry to hear about the health problems you had with the copper coil, Lilyalic. I understand well that you do not like something inside you after this awful experience.

I think things like this have to be decided by yourself and your own needs and wishes. What fits others may not fit to you IMO.

You could always use washable pads. Lots of generations of our female ancestors did this and you can control with which soap / washing powder you clean it. Stains can be avoided when you soak your pads soon in cold water and removed with using ox-gall soap. You could also make your own pads with a nice, soft, absorptive cloth (you could also use used soft cloth like an old sweatshirt, flannel sheet, maybe thin terry cloth, ...).

Dirgni said:
Lilyalic said:

I am sorry to hear about the health problems you had with the copper coil, Lilyalic. I understand well that you do not like something inside you after this awful experience.

I think things like this have to be decided by yourself and your own needs and wishes. What fits others may not fit to you IMO.

You could always use washable pads. Lots of generations of our female ancestors did this and you can control with which soap / washing powder you clean it. Stains can be avoided when you soak your pads soon in cold water and removed with using ox-gall soap. You could also make your own pads with a nice, soft, absorptive cloth (you could also use used soft cloth like an old sweatshirt, flannel sheet, maybe thin terry cloth, ...).

Thanks Dirgni, I just had a look on Amazon and there's items like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cheeky-Mama-Charcoal-Washable-Reusable/dp/B00ZGH2JTM?ie=UTF8&keywords=washable%20sanitary%20towels&qid=1459445059&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Seems like a good exchange from the carcinogenic chemicals in normal pads and tampons. :)

Lilyalic said:
Dirgni said:
Lilyalic said:

Thanks Dirgni, I just had a look on Amazon and there's items like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cheeky-Mama-Charcoal-Washable-Reusable/dp/B00ZGH2JTM?ie=UTF8&keywords=washable%20sanitary%20towels&qid=1459445059&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Seems like a good exchange from the carcinogenic chemicals in normal pads and tampons. :)

You are welcome Lilyalic. You could order those you like and try it/them. And order later more or others. One of my bought ones is minkee and it is soft to the touch and soft when wearing. I exchanged bought panty liners with washable ones and never looked back.

I don't know if that has been mention here before but some women say that they don't use any protection at all.

How is explain in this video (in French) : _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEk9ViK2-2A

Goemon_ said:
I don't know if that has been mention here before but some women say that they don't use any protection at all.

How is explain in this video (in French) : _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEk9ViK2-2A

Here's another video that explains free bleeding. I'd heard of that before but this video actually takes it on at a different angle. The vlogger says that there are some women who can sense their menstrual flow and control it like their bladder. I can't seem to find out any information on this phenomenon so it may just be bunk. I've never heard of having voluntary control over the cervix or uterus.

_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_PjBLd5sCA

Odyssey said:
Goemon_ said:

Here's another video that explains free bleeding. I'd heard of that before but this video actually takes it on at a different angle. The vlogger says that there are some women who can sense their menstrual flow and control it like their bladder. I can't seem to find out any information on this phenomenon so it may just be bunk. I've never heard of having voluntary control over the cervix or uterus.

_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_PjBLd5sCA

That's interesting Odyssey, I actually heard of it from a women who worked in communities with native aboriginal women in Brazil. She said they could control their flow as it was their bladder, so I guess it is true that is possible.

I personally can sense when I'm going to bleed and I usually go to the toilet when I feel it, but I don't really control it... it was just a natural thing to do for me. I feel some sort of cramping that I can only describe as the uterus squeezing to get things out, but I don't want to be too explicit for the sake of discretion :-[ . Of course, I can't sense anything when I'm sleeping, so it's a bit different than thee bladder I guess.

lainey said:
This is the brand that I use which I don't find too expensive at around £2.99 every month.
http://www.realfoods.co.uk/mobile/product/5376/organic-super-tampons-with-applicators
Although I agree a cup would be more cost effective in the long run.

Thanks so much for this recommendation, last month was my first month trying these out and I was AMAZED at the difference they made,for about a year now I've been suffering from really bad pains, but using these the pain was considerably less, and my period only lasted about 4 days, when usually it's a full week! I wondered if it was a fluke but the same has happened this month :cheer:

It would make sense from a biological perspective because if the harmful chemicals in normal sanitary products are causing inflammation, more blood would presumably rush to the area causing more bleeding, although this is just a theory.

Jennifer said:
lainey said:
This is the brand that I use which I don't find too expensive at around £2.99 every month.
http://www.realfoods.co.uk/mobile/product/5376/organic-super-tampons-with-applicators
Although I agree a cup would be more cost effective in the long run.

Thanks so much for this recommendation, last month was my first month trying these out and I was AMAZED at the difference they made,for about a year now I've been suffering from really bad pains, but using these the pain was considerably less, and my period only lasted about 4 days, when usually it's a full week! I wondered if it was a fluke but the same has happened this month :cheer:

It would make sense from a biological perspective because if the harmful chemicals in normal sanitary products are causing inflammation, more blood would presumably rush to the area causing more bleeding, although this is just a theory.
It could well be, but also if you are detoxing and following a better diet I reckon over time these things improve. Great to hear that you have had a positive result! :)

I just came across this advert on facebook for "period underwear". Apparently the underwear can hold up to 2 tampons worth of blood and they don't feel like a nappy. If the flow is heavier you can use moon cups/tampons in conjunction with them.

https://www.shethinx.com/pages/it-works/

THINX is made up of four bits of tech that makes ‘em anti-microbial, moisture-wicking, absorbent, and leak-resistant.The top layer fights bacteria and absorbs any liquid into the über thin layer right beneath it, so you always stay dry. To take care of your THINX , you rinse immediately after use, cold wash (waiting 'till laundry day is a-ok) and hang dry. Don’t use bleach or fabric softener! And yes, the rest of your clothes will be fine.

They are quite pricey- $34, but it would be interesting to see if they actually worked, the reviews look quite positive.

Jenn said:
I just came across this advert on facebook for "period underwear". Apparently the underwear can hold up to 2 tampons worth of blood and they don't feel like a nappy. If the flow is heavier you can use moon cups/tampons in conjunction with them.

https://www.shethinx.com/pages/it-works/

THINX is made up of four bits of tech that makes ‘em anti-microbial, moisture-wicking, absorbent, and leak-resistant.The top layer fights bacteria and absorbs any liquid into the über thin layer right beneath it, so you always stay dry. To take care of your THINX , you rinse immediately after use, cold wash (waiting 'till laundry day is a-ok) and hang dry. Don’t use bleach or fabric softener! And yes, the rest of your clothes will be fine.

They are quite pricey- $34, but it would be interesting to see if they actually worked, the reviews look quite positive.

I saw this too, here's what they're made from

The interior of the underwear is antimicrobial cotton, which includes an application of silver. All the other technology is between the cotton interior layer and the nylon/spandex exterior layer (Interior Innermost 95% Cotton, 5% Elastane; Middle breathable PUL, 95% Cotton, 5% Elastane; Outer 89% Nylon, 11% Elastane; Trim 100% Polyester).

Yeah the reviews look positive but I still don't know whether it'd actually work for everyone. If you decide to buy please let me know your review! :)

You can even save money and health without any pads, tmpon nor cup ;) , by training your menstrual continence:

sott article about this, in french: https://fr.sott.net/article/29476-La-continence-menstruelle-ou-comment-se-passer-des-protections-hygieniques

Well, this period of stasis has some good!
I really enjoyed reading this thread!

Thank you all for sharing your interesting menses stories, I learned a lot today.
It has been a few years that I have stopped taking the pill as I had polycystic ovarian syndrome with no menstruation for 3 years. Then it came back randomly 2 years after I stopped the pill and I have to say that I was really happy.
Somehow, it made me feel like a real woman (yes it can seem weird but this felt great!).

Then my cycle became more and more regular and last September I made the choice to get a copper IUD.
When the gynecologist inserted it was so painful that I stopped breathing.
The thing is that I 've been suffering a lot more during menstruation since I have this device. I have a lot of cramps during one or two days and the flow is a lot stronger. The pain makes me nauseous sometimes and not an easy going girl.
So far, only basilic/tarragon/lavender essential oils can calm down a little bit the pain.
A friend of mine told me that one year passed until everything came back to normal for her while wearing copper IUD.
So I will wait a bit and see and next time I'll try vitamin C and magnesium to see if it releases the pain as it seems to work well for some of you.

I didn't notice any change related to my diet except that my periods got back when I started eating "more" paleo and took some kelp supplements 3 years ago. But nothing about the pain.

Now that I read that maybe this is not so "normal" to get my period every month I am not sure to be so happy... :-/
Well, that's the occasion to have a try for the menstrual continence and to take a time to listen to my body.

Anyway, I wanted to thank you all for sharing. :flowers:

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories and tips. I am not sure whether clary sage oil was already mentioned. For nearly 10 years I have had really menstrual cramps during the first two days. I couldn't go without painkillers and was still feeling weak and dizzy and imbalanced. Always hoping that I wouldn't have any important apointments on those days because I felt so sludgy. A friend of mine recommended clary sage oil and the last two months, when the pain started I mixed the oil with a neutral body oil and massaged into my lower abdomen. I must confessed that I didn't think it would do anything besides the scent but after starting with t soothing and cooling efffect on the skin, I went painless. I only had to take one Boswellia. Just to let you know if someelse out there so still looking for a way to deals with the nuisance.

Back
Top Bottom