Paleo Women/Diet and Menstruation

herondancer said:
Wonderful news, gimpy! I'm smokin' one for you right now :)

Me too! What great news! Hope you feel better everyday :hug2:

And thanks for the eggs after surgery tip. If I ever have to have any procedure, I'll tell them a surgery nurse told me that I can have eggs afterwards ;)

Pleased to report things continue to improve: last follow up appt was today, I'm now cleared to resume Physical therapy (within reason), and am allowed to drive as long as my legs work well. (Can usually tell if they are by breakfast time.)

Was able to walk the whole way to her office and back again, something I have not been able to do for months, so that's a big sign right there that the procedure is a success.

So...YAY! :headbanger: :flowers:

Gimpy said:
Pleased to report things continue to improve: last follow up appt was today, I'm now cleared to resume Physical therapy (within reason), and am allowed to drive as long as my legs work well. (Can usually tell if they are by breakfast time.)

Was able to walk the whole way to her office and back again, something I have not been able to do for months, so that's a big sign right there that the procedure is a success.

Wow!
This is a huge improvement, Gimpy!
I'm dancing right now!!!
:dance:

anothermagyar said:
Gimpy said:

Wow!
This is a huge improvement, Gimpy!
I'm dancing right now!!!
:dance:

Yes it is! A such good new! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Having read around the entire forum about menstrual cycles, this has been the most helpful one.

I read a few articles suggesting that the lowering of carbohydrates effects the menstrual cycle profoundly, I've been on the Paleo diet for over a year now, been in and out of Ketosis a few times, but the pass 2 weeks I have been having around 100-250g of fat a day with hardly any protein (going to stay in Ketosis for the time being!), I have some garlic cloves now and again roasted in Olive Oil, around 1-2 a week I'll have half a sweet potato. But generally staying below 15g of Carbohydrates a day definitely.

After having Pelvic Inflammatory Disease from the Copper Coil last year, My menstrual cycle only started to become regular at the beginning of this year in January, it was at the beginning of the month up until July which it changed to the middle of the month (period usually lasts 6-8 days). After having a dental abscess for a few weeks and not realising it was an abscess (I thought it was just sensitivity and adjusting from having all m amalgams removed) I was taking ALOT of Codeine for around 2-3 weeks whilst working over the summer to see me through it, then was put on amoxicillin and metronidazole, I stopped taking earlier than supposed to because I came on my period 2 weeks early because of this which was the 1st of September, I haven't had any PMS, I usually get stomach ache, hot flushes etcetc.. I've only had extreme hormone imbalances such as a complete riot of emotions, mood swings etc.

I bought the "Hormone hell to Hormone well" book suggested by Laura in one of the threads. I'm slowly but surely getting through this!
I'm just a little scared that at such a young age I'll screw up my hormones and will never be able to reproduce. I've never ever been pregnant, and I'm hoping this is just down to luck rather than being infertile. I've been practicing fertility meditations, taking my daily vitamins (including probiotics and some vitamins for Mercury detox)

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you

Hey lilyalic,

Perhaps someone else is more qualified to help answer your question as I haven't had the exact same experience but my current understanding is that menstrual cycles can take awhile to "balance" out depending upon the individual as there seem to be many contributing factors that affect different people differently. While transitioning to paleo, my period did stop for a few months and then returned.

From what you've written, it sounds as if the medication has thrown your body out of whack and needs some time to readjust so you may need to wait this out. It sounds as if you're doing well on the diet and the only thing I can think of that may help you to heal a bit faster is to drink bone broth (if you aren't already) and perhaps omit the sweet potatoes and maybe garlic for a bit and see how you feel.

Hi lilyalic,

I agree with truth seeker's comment with respect to it taking time for the menstrual cycle to adjust, given the many mostly unseen contributing factors that influence it, even if you've been on a paleo diet for over a year already, going keto is still another step of adjustment for the body. Might be that after taking the medications you mentioned that it still needs a "re-balancing", since you don't know how it specifically affected your system and also how previous/past issues are still of influence and need healing, but I'm no expert and Gaby might have some advise here. And just fwiw, for me, it also took quite some time for the menstrual cycle to adjust on the new diet; for about 1,5 years I had my menses only every 6 months, it's only been back to a regular monthly one since spring of this year.

Yeah, the antibiotics were very strong, specially the ones usually prescribed for both conditions you had. Your gut flora definitely took a hit, so the diet and the probiotics are a very good idea. Check out to see if the probiotics contain lactobacillus rhamnosus, ideally the GG kind. If not, that is okay. But ideally, your next bottle of probiotics should have them. It encourages a good neighborhood in general. If you tolerate sauerkraut, that will be a good addition to your daily carb intake.

I would check for iron levels if you haven't done so: TIBC, iron, ferritin and transferrin. If you don't have iron overload (transferrin >35%, ferritin >80-100), I would take vitamin C. It will help out along the diet. Also, make sure your vitamins contain NO iron. If you don't have anemia due to iron deficiency, then, any excess iron will only harm you.

Not too long ago, I had a dental abscess. I started taking megadoses of vitamin C immediately and the abscess dried out without the need of any antibiotics. It is really great stuff! I chose to have plain ascorbic acid every hour, to bowel tolerance. I think I reached 20 grams or so per day until the abscess dried out. Not too bad!

As for hormonal support, the diet goes a long way. It takes time for re-adjustment, but if you feel you need extra help, then progesterone cream for a couple of months is something you can experiment with.

You went through a lot, I'm just glad that you are taking proper care, sharing and reading about it. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom