Poland

Four days left for Polish Elections. If we have on the forum polish people and they have not decided yet for who they will vote - here is quite interesting test for which political idea you are inclined the most:

At the end of the test it will estimate your closest idea and which party has similar views.
As every test it's should not be taken for 100%.

My result was Paleolibertarianism (sounds like paleochristianity :)) , which truly I haven't known before. Basically it's quite free attitude in political and economic issues and moderate cultural conservatism.
The closest party which has these views is Konfederacja.

Have fun!

My opinion, this is a PR and Political move by the Pope? The link below is an example of what I consider a social-Political manipulation by the Catholic Church, to steer internal political decisions towards a possible personal agenda by the Pope? Notice, the article is basing it's claims on "a Poll or survey", hoping to sway public opinion.

Poll shows Brazilian Catholics do not agree with Bolsonaro on Amazon
A majority of Brazilian Catholics believe global warming is a scientific fact and preservation of the Amazon rainforest is vital to reduce the effects of climate change, contrary to the view of Brazil's right-wing government, a poll showed on Monday.

Poland's ruling right-wing party banks on child subsidy to win election
Karolina Burczyk, 26, walks her son Leon on a street in Nowa Karczma, Poland, September 11, 2019. REUTERS/Aleksandra Szmigiel

Maria Kolsut will be thinking about her financial security when she votes for Poland's ruling right-wing party in Sunday's parliamentary election.

The mother of three is not a fan of all policies pursued by Law and Justice (PiS). She is worried by its judicial reforms, which the European Union’s executive says threaten the independence of judges.

But she will put her qualms aside because of a child subsidy which has made her better off than before PiS came to power in 2015.

Kolsut, a factory worker in the northern town of Nowa Karczma, receives 500 zlotys ($127) a month for each of her children. The combined 1,500 zlotys from what is known as the 500+ subsidy is roughly equivalent to the minimum monthly wage.

The subsidy, which is not means-tested and not indexed to inflation, is seen by PiS as vital to its appeal to working-class voters.

Promises to introduce the subsidy helped PiS return to power in 2015, when its socially conservative and nationalist agenda tapped into public frustration with Western liberal values.

Critics say 500+ is populist, costly to the economy and reinforces a stereotypical image of women. But pollsters say it has contributed to a big lead for the PiS in opinion polls.

A comfortable election victory would give PiS a mandate to further reshape Poland in its conservative image. A close race could force it to rein in some of its ambitions and make it harder to stand up to EU pressure over the rule of law. (Article continues.)

Poland's ruling party keeps lead before Sunday vote: poll
A coalition headed by Poland's ruling nationalist Law and Justice (PiS) party has kept its lead over its rivals ahead of Sunday's parliamentary elections, a poll suggested.

Fighting for 'moral order', Polish nationalists eye election win
FILE PHOTO: People gather in front of the Presidential Palace during a protest against judicial reforms in Warsaw, Poland, November 24, 2017. REUTERS/Kacper Pempel/File Photo

Poland's nationalist Law and Justice (PiS) party hopes to tighten its grip on power in Sunday's election with pledges to redistribute its wealth more fairly and protect voters from the liberal values espoused by its centrist opponents.

Factbox: Poland's ruling nationalists' unfinished business
FILE PHOTO: People gather in front of the Presidential Palace during a protest against judicial reforms in Warsaw, Poland, November 24, 2017. Agencja Gazeta/Dawid Zuchowicz via REUTERS

Poland's nationalist Law and Justice (PiS) party has alienated European allies and divided families at home with a series of reforms tackling courts, media, cultural institutions and education.

Poland's Kaczynski steps out of shadows to mobilize rural vote
FILE PHOTO: Law and Justice (PiS) leader Jaroslaw Kaczynski speaks with supporters during an election meeting in Stalowa Wola, Poland, August 18, 2019. REUTERS/Kacper Pempel
Long cast as a reclusive backstage strategist, Poland's conservative chief Jaroslaw Kaczynski is testing out a new role as charismatic leader as he campaigns to mobilize the rural vote ahead of Sunday's parliamentary election.

Second term awaits nationalist PiS as polarized Poles prepare to vote
A woman walks in front of election banners in Warsaw, Poland October 12, 2019. REUTERS/Kacper Pempel
Poland holds an election on Sunday that is likely to hand the nationalist Law and Justice (PiS) party a second term in office, potentially deepening the country's isolation as unease within the EU about its commitment to democratic standards grows.

Poland's justice minister lays out court reform plans before election
FILE PHOTO: Polish Justice Minister Zbigniew Ziobro attends a government meeting in Warsaw, Poland July 25, 2017. REUTERS/Kacper Pempel/File Photo
Poland's justice minister outlined plans for a further overhaul of the justice system in comments published on Friday, two days before an election the ruling nationalists are expected to win.

Four days left for Polish Elections. If we have on the forum polish people and they have not decided yet for who they will vote - here is quite interesting test for which political idea you are inclined the most:

At the end of the test it will estimate your closest idea and which party has similar views.
As every test it's should not be taken for 100%.

My result was Paleolibertarianism (sounds like paleochristianity :)) , which truly I haven't known before. Basically it's quite free attitude in political and economic issues and moderate cultural conservatism.
The closest party which has these views is Konfederacja.

Have fun!

My result is Paleolibertarianizm. I didn't know about that too. Nothing strange that I do not know about this from media as it is some voice of rationality and balance. Konfederacja is a completely different thing, I do not trust any party for now and do not go for elections.

Poland's ruling nationalists seen on course to remain in power for second term
Poland's ruling party Law and Justice (PiS) leader Jaroslaw Kaczynski waves after the exit poll results are announced in Warsaw, Poland, October 13, 2019. REUTERS/Kacper Pempel
Poland's nationalist Law and Justice (PiS) was on course to keep its ruling majority after a general election on Sunday, an exit poll showed, a victory likely to stoke concern about democratic standards in the largest ex-Soviet European Union state.

Austrian Handke and Poland’s Tokarczuk win Nobel literature prizes
Austrian Handke and Poland’s Tokarczuk win Nobel literature prizes
1792366-1994977021.jpg

1 / 4
The permanent secretary of the Swedish Academy, Mats Malm, announces the winners of the 2018 and 2019 Nobel Prize in Literature in Stockholm, Sweden, Thursday Oct. 10, 2019. ( AP)
1792371-51735347.jpg

2 / 4
(COMBO) This combination of pictures created on October 10, 2019 shows Polish author Olga Tokarczuk (L) on September 17, 2018 in Krakow and Austrian novelist and playwright Peter Handke on November 22, 2012 in Salzburg, Austria. (AFP)
1792376-514536685.jpg

3 / 4
The Permanent Secretary of the Swedish Academy, Mats Malm, announces Olga Tokarczuk as the winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature 2018 and Peter Handke as the winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature 2019, in Stockholm, Sweden, October 10, 2019. (Reuters)
1792381-1991952678.jpg

4 / 4
Books of Austrian novelist and playwright Peter Handke and a drawing depicting him (background) are displayed at the headquarters of his German editor Suhrkamp Verlag on October 10, 2019 in Berlin.(AFP)

Austrian writer Peter Handke won the 2019 Nobel Prize for Literature on Thursday and the 2018 award went to Polish author Olga Tokarczuk, the Swedish Academy said on Thursday.

Handke, 76, was recognized for a body of work which includes novels, essays, notebooks and drama and “that with linguistic ingenuity has explored the periphery and the specificity of human experience,” the Academy said in a statement.

Tokarczuk, 57, won for “a narrative imagination that with encyclopaedic passion represents the crossing of boundaries as a form of life,” it said.

Both have courted controversy —
Handke for his portrayal of Serbia as a victim during the Balkan wars and attending its leader’s funeral, and Tokarczuk for touching on dark areas of Poland’s past that contrast with the version of history promoted by the country’s ruling nationalist party.

Two prizes were awarded this year after last year’s award was postponed over a scandal that led to the husband of an Academy member being convicted of rape.

Since then, the organization has appointed new members and reformed some of its more arcane rules after a rare intervention by its royal patron, the king of Sweden.

Academy member Anders Olsson said both Handke and Tokarczuk had accepted their prizes.

Tokarczuk
Tokarczuk trained as a psychologist before publishing her first novel in 1993. Since then, she has produced a steady and varied stream of works and her novel “Flight” won her the high-profile Man Booker International Prize last year. She was the first Polish author to do so.

Though some of the episodes she has written about contrast with version of history promoted by Poland’s ruling Law and Justice (PiS), her agent said the award should not be seen in the context of a parliamentary election being held on Sunday in Poland.

Speaking on Polish television, Poland’s culture minister, Piotr Glinski, said the award to Tokarczuk was a success for Polish culture. “I think that Mrs. Tokarczuk also perceives this that way, because she is a representative of Polish culture and Polish literature,” he said.

Former head of scandal-hit Swedish Academy dies of cancer
FILE PHOTO: The Swedish Academy's Permanent Secretary Sara Danius is seen during the Swedish Academy's annual meeting at the Old Stock Exchange building in Stockholm, Sweden December 20, 2017. TT News Agency/Jonas Ekstromer via REUTERS
Sara Danius, the former head of the scandal-tainted committee which awards the Nobel Prize in Literature, has died of cancer, Swedish news agency TT said on Saturday.

My result is Paleolibertarianizm. I didn't know about that too. Nothing strange that I do not know about this from media as it is some voice of rationality and balance.

True.

Konfederacja is a completely different thing, I do not trust any party for now and do not go for elections.

I do not trust any politician, however Konfederacja was "the closest" party to my views. In this party there are lots of very weird guys with weird ideas. However, in the other hand, this party never was in the Parliament before. By voting for them I wanted to check how they will act and what they will speak there. Only that way I think you can check if they are talking just to get into there or they want to change something in real. Additionally I hoped that if they will get more than 5%, they will slightly weaken the PiS..

Generally: In Senate (Second instance parliament) opposition is winning (KO, PSL and Lewica, not Law and Justice (PiS)).

Here are a few reports coming from the American Press:

Poland's PiS wins general election: results from 99.5% of constituencies
Poland's ruling party Law and Justice (PiS) leader Jaroslaw Kaczynski looks on as Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Marowiecki speaks after the exit poll results are announced in Warsaw, Poland, October 13, 2019. REUTERS/Kacper Pempel
Poland's ruling party Law and Justice (PiS) leader Jaroslaw Kaczynski looks on as Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Marowiecki speaks after the exit poll results are announced in Warsaw, Poland, October 13, 2019. REUTERS/Kacper Pempel

Poland's ruling nationalist Law and Justice (PiS) party won Sunday's parliamentary election with 43.8% of votes, according to official results from 99.5% of constituencies published by the electoral committee on Monday.

Poland’s biggest opposition grouping Civic Coalition (KO) came second with 27.2% support, followed by the leftist alliance, The Left, with 12.5%. The bloc of agrarian PSL and anti-system Kukiz’15 was at 8.6% while the far-right Confederation got 6.8% based on the partial official results.

Poland's nationalists seal election majority, lose Senate
Poland's ruling party Law and Justice (PiS) leader Jaroslaw Kaczynski speaks after the exit poll results are announced in Warsaw, Poland, October 13, 2019. REUTERS/Kacper Pempel
Poland's nationalist Law and Justice (PiS) party narrowly won a second term in power, final results from Sunday's parliamentary election showed, but its drive to push through its conservative agenda may be hampered by a loss of the upper house.

The Electoral Commission said PiS, a eurosceptic group with a left-leaning economic agenda, had won 43.6% of votes, more than the 37.6% it secured in an election four years earlier. Under Poland’s complex electoral rules, the wider victory did not translate into any gains in the legislature.

The main opposition grouping, the Civic Coalition, an umbrella organization that includes the Civic Platform (PO) formerly led by EU Council President Donald Tusk, secured 134 seats in parliament, with 27.4% of votes.

Slideshow (16 Images)
Poland's nationalists seal election majority, lose Senate

Poland's PiS wins narrow majority in parliament: final vote count
Jaroslaw Kaczynski, leader of the ruling Law and Justice (PiS) party, attend a voting during parliamentary election at a polling station in Warsaw, Poland, October 13, 2019. REUTERS/Kacper Pempel
Poland's nationalist Law and Justice (PiS) party secured a narrow majority in the lower house of parliament in Sunday's general election, the Electoral Commission said on Monday, citing the final result count.

Poland's PiS leader sees bills delayed in upper house of parliament
Poland’s nationalist Law and Justice (PiS) party expects delays to its legislative agenda, PiS leader Jaroslaw Kaczynski said on Monday, after the party lost its majority in the upper house of parliament, the Senate.

PiS party won a parliamentary election on Sunday, a final vote count showed on Monday, securing a narrow lead in the more powerful lower house.

Poland's PiS wins 43.6% of votes in parliamentary election: final count
Poland's ruling Law and Justice (PiS) party won 43.6% of votes in Sunday's parliamentary election, the Polish Electoral Commission said on Monday, citing its final count of votes.

Bird flu has been detected in turkeys in eastern Poland, authorities said on Wednesday, and local media reported that the outbreak could require up to 40,000 birds to be slaughtered.

Poland hit by bird flu outbreak on turkey farms
Poland, Europe’s largest poultry producer according to data from Eurostat, has not had an outbreak of bird flu since 2017.

Andrzej Danielak, president of Polish Association of Breeders and Poultry Producers, said that three farms might be affected, with up to 350,000 birds at risk in a three kilometer radius.

“Veterinary services are implementing virus eradication procedures in this situation,” local authorities in Lubartowski county said in a press release issued on Tuesday, adding that the virus was a subtype of highly pathogenic H5N8 bird flu that can also threaten people

The authorities said crisis meetings had been held, while footage from private broadcaster Polsat showed police cars blocking a road in the area.

Interesting news from Poland recently was reaction on President Putin's statements and revealed documents about history of Europe during and before WWII.

What was especially argued hotly in Polish media was very critical statement uttered during Defense Ministry Board Meeting on 24th of December 2019 by President Putin about Polish role before WWII as consiprators together with Hitler and statement of Polish Ambasador in Berlin before WWII Jozef Lipski about his enthusiastic reaction to Nasi plan to send Jews to African collonies.
(link to the full text: _Defence Ministry Board meeting)
I just started to check the biggest newspapers titles from Rzeczpospolita, Gazeta Wyborcza and TVN 24. After seeing few tens of them I cannot see at least a need to question for further analysis of documents which were base for the statements.
Another words from President Putin were uttered during meeting on 20th of December 2019 with leader of Armenia, Azerbeijan, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Tadjikistan and Turkmenistan (link to full text here: _CIS informal summit ).

Presented view on history as described during meeting on 20th Dec. based on doucmentary evidence, was actually broader than only Polish context because it was touching the role played before the war by Great Britain, France and other countries. The view presented is different from what we know from popular education (propaganda) about history of Europe. For countries like Poland, France and Great Britain, revealed documents are for sure damaging their so called historical policy, in which they show themselves as forces of good - The Alies fighting evil Nasis.

Presented statements by Preisdent Putin were response to European Parliment's resolution 17th September 2019 (definitely not a coincidential date) link here: _Texts adopted - Importance of European remembrance for the future of Europe - Thursday, 19 September 2019 on the Importance of European remembrance for the future of Europe.
Important note is that the project of this resolution was applied to the Parliament by 18 Polish representatives and one Latvian. 18 Polish representatives are coming from currently rulling party PiS (Prawo i Sprawiedliwość = Law and Justice) which party strongly alignes with US policy and declares being devoted ally to the US (by actions not by words only).

Putin's statement hits hard Polish view on recent history.
Polish generalised view in short summary is:
1. Poland was a victim of Nasi Germany and Soviet Russia policy. As I grown in our educational system: Poland was somehow the aim of Hitler and Stalin making the country "chosen". Our suffering was "special".
2. Polish martyrology - I am not sure if anyone except Poles know this term but in Polish educational system it was, at least 30 years ago, playing some role in creating Polish identity.
3. We fought Nasis and we fought Soviets.
4. Mythology of 20-years of free Poland between WWI and WWII.

It also hits current historical policy of the rulling party in which one of the important point is mythology of Polish underground soldiers 1945-1963 who were actively fighting with Soviet regime on the Polish ground. This narration assumes that first the most dangerous enemy of Poland is Russia. This was Tsarist's Russia, later Soviet and now Russian Federation. It is well seen that in main stream Polish media there is complete alignement with outside policy. I may say US but this is rather simplification.
In so called alternative media we have a lot of discussion and searching the truth.

Only in this conetext what lacks completely in Polish main stream very emotional "discussion" is for example:
1. Why European Parliament resolution 17th September 2019 was at all created?
2. Is it necessary to sanction the truth? Why historical truth needs special act?
3. How such an act is going to benefit European society?
4. Why politicians are taking on them authority to investigate history and not historians?

Interesting news from Poland recently was reaction on President Putin's statements and revealed documents about history of Europe during and before WWII.

Thanks for the additional information, Michal. :-) Very much appreciated!

Some information on the discussion was entered into this thread recently:

Events in Russia

Poland's president says he won't attend Holocaust event in Israel
FILE PHOTO: Poland's President Andrzej Duda addresses the 74th session of the United Nations General Assembly at U.N. headquarters in New York City, New York, U.S., September 24, 2019. REUTERS/Eduardo Munoz
Polish President Andrzej Duda said on Tuesday he had declined an Israeli invitation to attend a Holocaust memorial event this month as organizers would not allow him to speak there, even though others including Russian President Vladimir Putin would.

Poland's Senate speaker to seek EU advice on judicial reforms
Poland's Senate speaker will go to Brussels on Wednesday to consult European Union officials over how to limit the damage from Warsaw's latest clash with its EU partners over reforms of the judiciary.

Polish President Andrzej Duda said on Tuesday he had declined an Israeli invitation to attend a Holocaust memorial event this month as organizers would not allow him to speak there, even though others including Russian President Vladimir Putin would.

We can say that this is some kind "less evil". If Duda will go, than he can just leave the room when Putin will speak - which will be quite lame action. Polish politics acts like babies in diplomacy. Quite important information here is that organizer of this meeting in Israel is Russian oligarch. Polish politician are stupid or they are playing like stupid. They mess with the bear and they get torn...
Another stupid polish government statement was about latest Iranian stuff. They were asked about polish troops in Iraq - if they are coming home or not. They response was: "Let's wait what Trump will say". What the hell? Trump is polish army Superior? This is crazy..

Back
Top Bottom