Poland

Hello everyone, I was out of time for so long but If you want I could describe for you the "11 listopada" from the first hand. There Was a lot of people. If someone go there he must wait about an hour in a crowd of people before he could start walking. Altought there was even though there were a lot of different people there nobody was agressive, everybody just want to celebrate independent day. In Warsaw there isn't any violence. Just people who want to show their love to their country of course a lot of different people but still, everybody just celebrate it without agression or something. In Wroclaw there was an incident with the nazi groups but it's only there, marches in other cities were also peaceful. When it comes to Jaroslaw Kaczynski, it is hard to say what a man he is, but recently the PiS built a monument to his late brother Jarosław - Lech, in front of the monument of the Polish national hero Józef Piłsudzki, on the square named after Piłsudzki with the fact that the monument of Lech had to be larger and resembles the communist monuments . Such a small digression :-)

November 25, 2018 - Poland is intimidating our Journalists: US-owned Polish Broadcaster
Poland is intimidating our journalists: U.S.-owned Polish broadcaster | Reuters

FILE PHOTO: Satellite antennas are pictured at the TVN headquarters in Warsaw March 16, 2015. REUTERS/Kacper Pempel/File Photo

U.S.-owned private Polish broadcaster TVN said it was facing intimidation after members of Poland's internal security agency entered a TVN cameraman's house and called him to a hearing over accusations he propagated Nazi propaganda.

The camera operator, Piotr Wacowski, went undercover to film a neo-nazi group for a report broadcast in January by the network, which is controlled by U.S. entertainment firm Discovery Inc..

Poland’s National Prosecutor’s Office said on Sunday it was premature to accuse Wacowski and it had referred the case to a regional prosecutor’s office for further examination, Polish state-news agency PAP reported.

Earlier this week, U.S. ambassador to Poland Georgette Mosbacher told Polish lawmakers that U.S. Congress could withdraw support for Poland if the free press faced attacks, Polish news website Polska Times reported.

The U.S. embassy in Poland did not immediately respond to requests for comment about the TVN cameraman.

TVN24 is the most widely watched independent channel in Poland and the network has had run-ins before with the ruling Law and Justice (PiS) party, which has been accused by Brussels of trying to muzzle free media.

“We are treating this as an attempt to intimidate journalists,” TVN said in a statement late on Saturday. “The authors of the report acted in accordance with the standards of investigative journalism.”

The TVN footage showed members of a far-right group dressed in Nazi uniforms, burning a wooden swastika, making Nazi salutes and sharing a cake with a symbol of a swastika made of chocolate cookies.

Poland’s broadcasting regulator KRRiT fined TVN last year over its coverage of protests in Poland’s parliament, saying it was “promoting illegal activities and encouraging behavior that threatens security”.

The U.S. government said the regulator’s actions undermined press freedom and KRRiT reversed the decision in January.

11.27. 2018 - Political divisions cloud Poland climate talks
World News | Reuters.com

FILE PHOTO: A general view shows 100,000 postcards with messages against climate change, sent by young people from all over the world and stuck together to break the Guinness World Record of the biggest postcard on the Jungfraufirn, the upper part of Europe's longest glacier, the Aletschgletscher, near Jungfraujoch, Switzerland November 16, 2018. REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann/File Photo

Divisions within Europe and tension between the United States and China pose major challenges to the next round of United Nations talks on climate change.

The most important U.N. climate conference since the Paris Agreement of 2015 opens on Sunday in Katowice, Poland, in one of the most polluted coal-mining regions in Europe. Success, according to the conference’s Polish host, will need a miracle.

Delegates from about 195 nations are on a deadline to produce a “rule book” to flesh out details of the pact, which the United States, at the behest of President Donald Trump, has announced it will quit.

The 2015 deal aims to shift the world economy away from fossil fuels and limit the rise in global temperatures to between 1.5 and 2 degrees Celsius to avert more extreme weather, rising sea levels and the loss of plant and animal species.

The pact was 20 years in the making and commits almost every country to fight global warming. But rules are needed to bring about real cuts in emissions and ensure they are closely monitored.

U.N. scientists in October added to pressure for a strong outcome from the talks, saying the world will hit the 1.5C threshold around 2040 and unprecedented changes are needed in the way people use energy.

Despite this call for unified action, there are divisions within the European Union and trade tensions between the United States and China, all of which have implications for climate policy.

The president of the talks, Poland’s former deputy energy minister Michał Kurtyka, has expressed hopes of a compromise while at same time acknowledging the scope of the task ahead.

“Only by a miracle can we realize success,” he said last month, although miracles were “a Polish speciality”.

Then earlier this month he added: “Undoubtedly, the geopolitical situation in 2015 was much easier for discussing global agreements than the one we have in 2018. However, my talks with representatives from the whole world show that there is a willingness to reach a compromise in Katowice.”

POLITICAL, ECONOMIC RIFTS
Developing nations and those vulnerable to climate change, such as islands and low-lying states, are looking to big industrialized countries to deepen cuts in emissions.

Senior Chinese climate change official Li Gao told reporters last month that some industrialized countries more responsible for climate change were backsliding on the “polluter pays” principle, which “will make it hard to reach a consensus”.

In the European Union, European Commission climate chief Miguel Arias Canete’s call for more ambitious goals was rebuffed by Chancellor Angela Merkel, who said it would be counter-productive because some European countries, including Germany, were struggling to meet their targets.

The United States has a seat at the negotiating table until it can formally quit in November 2020 at the earliest.

It may use its remaining time to try to develop ammunition for its trade dispute with China. Former climate and energy adviser to President Trump, George David Banks, told Reuters the administration wants to make sure it “corrects as many of the flaws of the agreement that it can”.

The United States has always been interested in getting a robust framework for reporting and measuring emissions cuts, particularly for developing countries such as China.

“It helps inform your trade policymaking and negotiations vis-a-vis the Chinese and others,” Banks said.

The United States also plans to promote fossil and nuclear fuels at the talks, repeating a strategy that infuriated global-warming activists last year.

* 11.27.2018 - Greenhouse gas emissions gap wider than ever: UN report
Greenhouse gas emissions gap wider than ever: U.N. report | Reuters

Emissions from a power plant chimney rise over Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia January 13, 2017. REUTERS/B. Rentsendorj

Global greenhouse gas emissions in 2030 could be between 13 billion and 15 billion tonnes more than the level needed to keep global warming within 2 degrees Celsius this century, a United Nations report estimated on Tuesday.

The ninth annual U.N. Environment Programme (UNEP) report analyzed the impact of countries’ emissions cut targets and policies, and whether they are enough to limit global average temperature rise to a safer threshold below 2C.

* November 27, 2018 - EU's Climate Chief calls for bloc to go for net-zero emissions by 2050
EU's climate chief calls for bloc to go for net-zero emissions by 2050 | Reuters

11.27.2018 - Poland would join any moves to step up Russian Sanctions over Ukraine: President
Poland would join any moves to step up Russian sanctions over Ukraine: president | Reuters

Poland’s president said on Tuesday Warsaw would join any international moves to step up sanctions on Russia, after Moscow opened fire on and seized three Ukrainian navy ships near Russian-annexed Crimea over the weekend.

The U.S. State Department, the European Union, Britain, France, Denmark, and Canada have all condemned what they called Russian aggression. Moscow accuses the Ukrainian vessels of intruding into its territorial waters on Sunday, which Kiev denies.

“If there are such international initiatives, like further sanctions (on Russia), Poland will take part in these initiatives, because we are ready for all actions that will lead to solving the conflict,” Polish President Andrzej Duda said during a visit to Bulgaria, speaking through a Bulgarian translator.

11.27.2018 - Poland's Former Regulator Head detained by Anti-corruption Agency
Poland's former regulator head detained by anti-corruption agency | Reuters

WARSAW - Poland’s anti-corruption agency CBA said on Tuesday it has detained the former head of financial regulator KNF, Marek Chrzanowski, and he will face charges.

Chrzanowski resigned as KNF chairman this month after businessman Leszek Czarnecki accused him of demanding payments of millions of dollars to a lawyer for “support”. Chrzanowski denied wrongdoing.

“The detained former KNF chairman will be taken to the prosecutor’s office in Katowice, where he will face charges,” a CBA spokesman said.

The prosecutor’s office said it will question Chrzanowski and raise its charges against him on Tuesday. After that the officials will decide on possible preventive measures against the former KNF head.

Chrzanowski, a former central banker, was nominated to his post in 2016 by the ruling Law and Justice (PiS) party, which has said one of the pillars of its fiscal policy is fighting corruption in value-added tax collection.

By 0834 GMT shares in Getin Noble Bank rose by 8.8 percent to 0.37 zlotys each on a flat market.

December 6, 2018 - Polish graft busters arrest seven employees of Financial Regulator
Polish graft busters arrest seven ex-employees of financial regulator | Reuters

WARSAW - Polish anti-graft agents on Thursday arrested seven ex-employees of the country’s financial regulator, including a former head, the national prosecutor’s office said.

The full names of the suspects were withheld for legal reasons. But another former head of Poland’s financial market regulator Marek Chrzanowski was charged in late November with corruption and placed in custody for two months after a court granted a temporary detention order.

Following the latest arrests the prosecutor’s office issued a statement.

“The wide and scrupulous evidence shows that those arrested in relation to their roles at (Poland’s financial regulator) between 2013 and 2014...sought substantial financial gains at the cost of the bank guarantee fund and depositors,” it said, adding that charges would be leveled later.

The most interesting is what is hidden.

The content of the conversation was revealed, which was secretly recorded by Leszek Czarnecki, when the head of the KNF came to him and managed 40 million PLN (10 million $) bribe ("for the protection and peace of his bank"). Marek Chrzanowski did not know that his conversation was recorded by the "bank owner" Leszek Czarnecki, who had such an evidence in the case of Czarnecki's attorney and officially filed him in the prosecutor's office, which opened an investigation of the case. Gazeta Wyborcza published a transcript of the recording from Czarnecki's recorder, but as it turned out, the transcript was partially hidden and therefore incomplete. Another newspaper, Gazeta Prawna, accusing "Wyborcza" of unreliability has published a full record of the conversation between a government official who was in fact to supervise the "Czarnecki bank".

During the conversation, Leszek Czarnecki confessed that in 2004, the application for a license on the basis of which GetinBank was made was made by none other than his partner Nathaniel Rotschild and then head of KNF Wojciech Kwaśniak did not license him for the first time in history. The head of the KNF reportedly refused to issue a license to the Rotschild as Czarnecki claims because Mikhail Khodorkovsky was arrested in Russia, and Nathaniel Rothschild was then a Member of the Council "Yukos" Supervisory Board.

Kwaśniak told Nathaniel Rotschild that the case could be treated by Russia as money laundering and until it was cleared up it could not grant a license to set up a bank.

However, he did it two years later without murmuring for the joint application of Leszek Czarnecki and Nathaniel Rothschild son of James Rotschild.

I" am sorry for post by post, ,,but my time for edit Post was expire"

It is not known yet whether the former head of the KNF, Marek Chrzanowski, acted alone or on someone's behalf. I do not know if he realized how powerful people and forces he tried to run foul of he was trying to get something for himself.
You can see in this example what fiction is the supervision of state authorities over the private banking sector in Poland. I think, "Pecunia non olet" people in every other country.

During the conversation, Leszek Czarnecki confessed that in 2004, the application for a license on the basis of which GetinBank was made was made by none other than his partner Nathaniel Rotschild and then head of KNF Wojciech Kwaśniak did not license him for the first time in history. The head of the KNF reportedly refused to issue a license to the Rotschild as Czarnecki claims because Mikhail Khodorkovsky was arrested in Russia, and Nathaniel Rothschild was then a Member of the Council "Yukos" Supervisory Board.

Kwaśniak told Nathaniel Rothschild that the case could be treated by Russia as money laundering and until it was cleared up it could not grant a license to set up a bank.

However, he did it two years later without murmuring for the joint application of Leszek Czarnecki and Nathaniel Rothschild son of James Rothschild.

Thank you for the additional information, 4d candidate! :-)

If I come across any more information from the news outlets, I will Post it.

December 20, 2018 - Worst Czech Coal Mine blast in decades kills 12 Poles, one Czech
Worst Czech coal mine blast in decades kills 12 Poles, one Czech | Reuters

STONAVA, Czech Republic - A methane explosion killed 12 Poles and one Czech at an eastern Czech coal mine, the OKD mining company said on Friday, in the worst disaster of this kind in almost three decades.

r
Rescue personnel prepare to search for missing miners after a methane explosion at the CSM hard coal mine in Karvina, Czech Republic, December 20, 2018. REUTERS/Stringer

The state-run firm said that a methane blast more than 800 metres (875 yards) underground devastated areas of the CSM hard coal mine near the town of Karvina and the Polish border on Thursday afternoon.

“We stopped underground work immediately, evacuated miners to the surface, and rescuers arrived who inspected the whole location thoroughly,” OKD spokesman Ivo Celechovsky said on Czech public television.

OKD had previously said that 11 Poles and two Czechs died, but added later one of those thought to be Czech was in fact a Polish citizen.

The accident is the worst mining disaster in the Czech Republic since 1990, when 30 miners died in a fire at a mine near Karvina in the same region, according to a list compiled by CTK news agency.

Polish President Andrzej Duda declared Sunday a day of national mourning.

OKD said that attempts to rescue eight miners originally reported as unaccounted for had to be abandoned due to conditions in the shaft.

“Unfortunately, we have reached a point where it was impossible to move forward, because there was a fire raging and zero visibility,” OKD managing director Boleslav Kowalczyk said.

The affected part of the mine was being sealed off to starve the fire of air and rescue teams would only be able to return to recover the victims at an unspecified date when conditions allowed, he said.

Kowalczyk said a network of methane sensors deployed in the mine had not detected anything unusual prior to the blast.

The Polish victims were miners employed via the ALPEX company, OKD said.

Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki and his Czech counterpart, Andrej Babis, visited the mine separately on Friday morning. Babis pointed out the risks that search teams facing.

“They were 50 metres from those trapped there, but it was not possible (to advance) without threatening the lives of the emergency workers,” he said, adding that the company was looking into ways to compensate the victims’ families.

Morawiecki spoke on a similar note. “Of course we will offer care to all of the families of the mining (accident) victims and for all those who survived,” he said, according to the PAP news agency.

December 20, 2018 - Worst Czech Coal Mine blast in decades kills 12 Poles, one Czech
Worst Czech coal mine blast in decades kills 12 Poles, one Czech | Reuters

Another Coal Mine incident being reported in a mine in Solikamsk, Russia. Apparently, a fire of some sort, maybe due to methane?

December 22, 2018 - Mine rescuers cannot reach out nine people blocked in Solikamsk mine due to smoke
Mine rescuers cannot reach out nine people blocked in Solikamsk mine due to smoke

According to the source, 17 people had been in the mine when the fire broke out.

1210890.jpg

© Maksim Kimerling/TASS

Mine rescuers cannot reach nine people blocked in a mine in Solikamsk in the Perm Region that came under fire, a source in the emergencies services told TASS.

"Mine rescuers cannot reach nine people so far due to high temperature and smoke. There are about 10 meters left," he said, adding that rescuers have no connection with the miners.

According to the source, 17 people had been in the mine when the fire broke out. Eight of them have been lifted, they are safe.

The fire broke at the depth of 340 meters during concrete lining works carried out by a contracting company.

December 22, 2018 - Mine rescuers cannot reach out nine people blocked in Solikamsk mine due to smoke
Mine rescuers cannot reach out nine people blocked in Solikamsk mine due to smoke

December 23, 2018 - All nine bodies recovered from Solikamsk mine after fire
All nine bodies recovered from Solikamsk mine after fire

December 23, 2018 - No chances to save trapped miners in Solikamsk — Perm Region governor
No chances to save trapped miners in Solikamsk — Perm Region governor

Metropolitan Sawa, the leader of the Polish Orthodox Church, sent a letter to Constantinople Patriarch Bartholomew, saying that the Polish church does not recognize the structure, recently set up in Ukraine, consisting of schismatics.

04.01.2019 - Polish Orthodox Church refuses to recognize 'New Church' set up in Ukraine
Polish Orthodox Church Refuses to Recognize ‘New Church’ Set Up in Ukraine

"It should be noted that according to our ancient church tradition, a prohibition [for religious ministry] can be lifted by those who imposed it. In any case, we have not seen repentance, redemption or humility, which are usually followed by the lifting of bans, on the part of Filaret [the head of the non-canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Kiev Patriarchate] and his followers. This did not happen and this is a problem. That is why they cannot be recognized as real shepherds who can perform sacraments," the letter, published on the website of the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate (UOC-MP), read.

Metropolitan Sawa noted that the "unification council" provoked a lot of problems inside the society, including those of political nature. The cleric recalled that people, who had been devoid of their rites as clergymen, participated in it.

"So-called ‘Metropolitan’ Epiphanius, who is actually a secular person, has been damaged," the letter pointed out.

Polish ruling party chief Jaroslaw Kaczynski has canceled a campaign event on Sunday ahead of European Parliament elections due to poor health, officials said, amid uncertainty in Poland over his ability to run the conservative grouping.

January 13, 2019 - Poland's Kaczynski cancels Campaign appearance due to health problems
Poland's Kaczynski cancels campaign appearance due to health problems | Reuters
r
FILE PHOTO: Jaroslaw Kaczynski, the leader of the ruling Law and Justice (PiS) party, attends regional elections, at a polling station in Warsaw, Poland, October 21, 2018. REUTERS/Kacper Pempel/File Photo

Last year, questions over Kaczynski’s health weighed on the stock market, as investors worried about political instability were he to step down without a clear successor. Poland’s de facto leader was absent from public life for months.

Under Kaczynski’s leadership, the eurosceptic Law and Justice (PiS) party has sought to take more control over the economy, public media and the justice system, leading to Poland’s isolation within the European Union.

It was unclear why Kaczynski canceled the appearance. Education Minister Jaroslaw Gowin said in a speech to supporters only that he “wished Kaczynski gets over a virus quickly”.

January 12, 2019 - One miner dead, six hurt in tremor at KGHM's Copper mine in Poland
One miner dead, six hurt in tremor at KGHM's copper mine in Poland | Reuters

One miner died and six were injured on Saturday after a tremor struck KGHM’s copper mine Rudna, southwest Poland, around 700 meters underground, the company’s spokeswoman said.

“The rescue operation has ended. Six people were injured and the seventh miner unfortunately died,” Anna Osadczuk said.

Poland should have "never" got involved with US/NATO - it just became another Country "to be used" for their geopolitical ends?

January 11, 2019 - US to host Iran-focused Global meeting in Poland February 13-14
U.S. to host Iran-focused global meeting in Poland February 13-14 | Reuters

The United States plans to jointly host a global conference focused on the Middle East, particularly Iran, next month in Poland, the U.S. State Department said on Friday.

The meeting will take place in Warsaw on Feb. 13-14, it said in a statement.

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif dismissed the planned event as a “desperate anti-Iran circus.”

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told Fox News in an interview to air on Friday that the meeting would “focus on Middle East stability and peace and freedom and security here in this region, and that includes an important element of making sure that Iran is not a destabilizing influence.”

Pompeo, who is on an eight-day visit to the Middle East, said the meeting would “bring together dozens of countries from all around the world, from Asia, from Africa, from Western Hemisphere countries, Europe too, the Middle East of course.”

Pompeo has said during the tour that the United States is “redoubling” its efforts to put pressure on Iran and sought to convince allies that it is committed to fighting Islamic State despite President Donald Trump’s decision to pull U.S. troops out of Syria.

Writing on Twitter, Iran’s Zarif said, “Reminder to host/participants of anti-Iran conference: those who attended last U.S. anti-Iran show are either dead, disgraced, or marginalized. And Iran is stronger than ever.”

He went on to write that “while Iran saved Poles in WWII, it now hosts desperate anti-Iran circus.”

Poland has arrested a Chinese employee of Huawei and a former Polish security official on spying allegations.

January 11, 2019 - Poland arrests Huawei employee, Polish man on spying allegations
Poland arrests Huawei employee, Polish man on spying allegations | Reuters

However, a spokesman for the Polish security services told Reuters the allegations related to individual actions, and were not linked directly to Huawei Technologies Cos Ltd [HWT.UL].

Stanislaw Zaryn, a spokesman for the Polish security services, said the country’s Internal Security Agency (ISA) detained a Chinese citizen and a former Polish security official on Jan. 8 over spying allegations. The two men have heard charges and will be held for three months, he said.

“This matter has to do with his actions, it doesn’t have anything to do with the company he works for,” Zaryn said of the Chinese man.

A person with knowledge of the matter said a Huawei employee called Wang Weijing had been arrested but not charged.

Polish public TV channel TVP said the Polish man was a former ISA officer and that security services had searched the offices of his current employer, telecoms firm Orange Polska (OPL.WA) (ORAN.PA). Huawei’s local offices were also searched, TVP reported.

January 12, 2019 - Huawei sacks employee arrested in Poland on spying charges
Huawei sacks employee arrested in Poland on spying charges | Reuters

Chinese telecommunications equipment maker Huawei HWT.UL said on Saturday it had sacked an employee arrested in Poland on spying charges in a case that could intensify Western security concerns about the company.

Poland’s internal affairs minister, Joachim Brudzinski, called for the European Union and NATO to work on a joint position over whether to exclude Huawei from their markets following the arrest of the Chinese employee and a former Polish security official on Friday.

CopyCat scenario of Brazil's President Jair Bolsonaro stabbing? A report that Gdansk Mayor Pawel Adamowicz was stabbed on stage at a charity event. Isn't it also a coincidence, that Poland's Jaroslaw Kaczynski canceled a Campaign event scheduled for this Sunday night? "It was unclear why Kaczynski canceled the appearance."

Jan. 13, 2019 - Mayor of Gdansk stabbed onstage at Polish Charity Event
Mayor of Gdansk stabbed onstage at Polish charity event | Reuters

WARSAW (Reuters) - The popular veteran mayor of the Polish city of Gdansk, Pawel Adamowicz, was stabbed on Sunday evening by a man who burst onto an open-air stage at a national charity event, police said.

Television footage showed the man screaming that “Adamowicz is dead” because his former party, Civic Platform, which held power from 2007 to 2015, had purportedly tortured him when he was in prison.

Adamowicz, 53, was attending the finale of the annual Great Orchestra of Christmas charity event, in which volunteers collects millions of euros for medical equipment for hospitals.

Local media quoted hospital staff as saying Adamowicz’s condition was very serious and he was being operated on.

Adamowicz has been mayor of Gdansk since 1998. In the 2018 regional election, he won 65 percent of votes.

r
Emergency responders are seen near a scene of the 27th Grand Finale of the Great Orchestra of Christmas Charity in Gdansk, Poland January 13, 2019. Agencja Gazeta/Bartosz Banka via REUTERS

I just finished going through the information on this thread and there seems to be some dismay as to why Poland is acting in the way that it is. I haven't seen any historical context given (if it was, I missed it, so please excuse me.)
The question of whether Poland should align with the EU (Germany), Russia (Soviets), or America is a historical one. Due to its strategic location, Poland has been at the mercy of one conquest after another. The people were without a country for many generations and after regaining their border, they were first "shot from the front by the Germans, then stabbed in the back by the Soviets (as the saying goes) who like to portray themselves as the liberators. America was the liberator and from that time has accepted all Polish asylum seekers who then worked in America and sent dollars back to help support their families (we were one if those.) So, all global domination aspirations aside, the current situation is a generational response to another perceived threat from their eastern and western border . . . again.

As to why the seemingly recent spate of nationalism . . . when I lived in Zakopane, the mountain "Giewont" was seen from our apartment. It is a large mountain which, with some minor bit if imagination, looks like a sleeping giant. The story goes that whenever Poland is in a crisis, the giant wakes up to its defenses. I now realize that the giant IS nationalism, which has always overtaken the people in times of crisis. From the Partizan underground movement during the German occupation, to Solidarnosc at the culmination of the Soviet domination.

Anyway, I haven't followed the news stories very closely coming from Poland, but from all appearances, whether it's due to a real threat from its borders or not, we are witnessing a political alignment that is completely based on generational trauma and memory.

Back
Top Bottom