Possible meteorite impact in Mexico

Unrelated but recorded was an earthquake the day before the possible strike. In the lower south west, Pacific side of Mexico. Earthquake Details
Magnitude 5.6
Date-Time Tuesday, February 09, 2010 at 00:47:42 UTC
Monday, February 08, 2010 at 06:47:42 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 16.085°N, 96.546°W
Depth 40 km (24.9 miles)
Region OAXACA, MEXICO
Distances 45 km (30 miles) N of Puerto Angel, Oaxaca, Mexico
110 km (65 miles) S of Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
145 km (90 miles) W of Salina Cruz, Oaxaca, Mexico
460 km (285 miles) SE of MEXICO CITY, D.F., Mexico

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 4.3 km (2.7 miles); depth +/- 8.4 km (5.2 miles)
Parameters NST=292, Nph=292, Dmin=>999 km, Rmss=0.9 sec, Gp= 83°,
M-type=centroid moment magnitude (Mw), Version=7
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Re: Report your meteor sighting(s)

Meteorite Hits Mexico Leaving 30 Meter Crater in Ahuazotepec Municipality
NEWSOLIO ^ | 2/11/2010 | Newsolio Editor

Posted on Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:07:26 AM by Dallas59

A meteorite has smashed into the ground in Mexico, leaving a 30 meter (100 feet) wide crater, reports said.

The meteorite impact was in the Ahuazotepec Municipality in Central Mexico between the cities of Puebla and Hidalgo.

The precise impact area of the meteorite was in a relatively unpopulated area and hit around 6.30pm local time, Mexican media said.

The Ahuazotepec, Mexico meteorite impact was so massive it broke windows in homes many kilometers from the epicenter and people reported buildings swaying and mass confusion. Other reports said the Mexico meteorite impact partially damaged a road and a bridge.

The Mexican military was called in to lock down the area where the apparent space rock slammed into the ground.

Initial fears where that the impact was a aircraft crashing to the ground, but that report was later dismissed.

The Central Mexico meteorite event was witnessed by countless people in the region of the impact, with people as far away as Mexico City saying they saw the burning object enter the atmosphere.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2449107/posts?page=41

Hi Consciosness1,

Thank you for the report. I merge your post with an existing thread on that same topic. By the way, welcome to the forum. :) We recommend all new members to post an introduction in the Newbies section telling us a bit about themselves, and how they found their way here. Have a read through that section to get an idea of how others have done it. Thanks.

Now the Russian Space Agency denies the fall of fragments of one of their satellites in Mexican territory:

Agencia espacial de Rusia desmiente informaciones sobre caída de fragmentos de satélite ruso en México

I couldn't find any source in English, so here is a little translation:

The Russian Space Agency denies the information regarding the fall of debris form a Russian satellite in Mexico

Moscow, February 15, RIA Novosti. The media information about the fall of debris from a Russian satellite - Cosmos-2421 - in Mexican territory doesn't correspond with the reality, declared today the Russian Space Agency (Roscosmos) spokesman, Alexandr Vorobiov.

"Some press agencies said that the debris of the Rusian satelite Cosmos-2421 fell in Mexico. Concerning space resources of civil application, all of them remain in their orbits. Regarding military satellites, the Department of Defense hasn't informed to Roscosmos about an incident of that kind, he said.

Up to now, I can't find any photo or image of the impact on the web.

logos5x5 said:
Up to now, I can't find any photo or image of the impact on the web.

Thanks for the update, logos5x5. Same here, haven't been able to find any photographs of the impact site either. :(

Amazing how this is getting the "cover-up" job, eh?

Laura: Amazing how this is getting the "cover-up" job, eh?

Yeah, and it's also amazing that around here almost nobody is asking or questioning the "official" story. :shock:

Here's a link to a blog that collected videos of news reports. I don't speak Spanish, so really don't know if there is any additional information to be found in the reports.

http://lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com/2010/02/mexico-meteor-10feb2010-tv-news-report.html

What does seem strange is how it was reported that the military closed off the area and in at least one of the videos it was shows that the police where in the area. From what I know looks like the police came in after the fact in Peru in 2007, but didn't close the area off.

Also the above blog looks like a pretty good source for meteor news etc.
http://lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com/
Another place I checked, but it didn't have any additional information of the Mexico meteor is:
http://www7.pair.com/arthur/meteor/archives.shtml

This is what I got from the videos:

Neighbors said that it was 25 meters deep, 30 meters long. But this were just rumors.
It was heard in area of 20 km around.
Officials were going to search within 10 km and some areas were of difficult access, including mountains.
It seems that rumors of the crater, the destruction of a bridge and the shattering of windows were all false. It seems that because of this and since the US said it was the Russian satellite, the search of a crater or anything was not pursued the following days. And who knows if they did this week, there are no follow ups.

Inexplicata published an update in English.

http://inexplicata.blogspot.com/2010/02/recap-mexican-crash-event.html

The newest comments

_http://news.discovery.com/space/mexican-meteorite-was-it-russian-space-junk.html

The Cosmos 2421 debris (33006) is stated to have re-entered on Feb 12 in the www.space-track.org database. Its last orbital element was AFTER the Mexico object sighting report. The 33006 debris was only 8 cm by 8 cm in cross-section.

_http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/02/11/breaking-mexican-meteorite-impact/

Just for the record, a quote from Nicholas Johnson, director of the Orbital Debris Program Office of the Johnson Space Center (Houston) and director of the Inter-Agency Space Debris Coordination Committee

“The association of the event over Mexcio with a piece of Cosmos 2421 appears to be in error. No part of Cosmos 2421 reentered at the time and location reported.
For the record, Cosmos 2421 fragmented at least three times in 2008, producing more than 500 pieces which were large enough for the US Space Surveillance Network to catalog. The vast majority of them have now already reentered. A piece of Cosmos 2421 did reenter recently, but it was well after the time of the event over Mexico.
No known man-made object reentered the atmosphere near the time mentioned in the media reports.

Earthquake Details
Magnitude 5.6
Date-Time Tuesday, February 09, 2010 at 00:47:42 UTC
Monday, February 08, 2010 at 06:47:42 PM at epicenter

Location 16.085°N, 96.546°W
Depth 40 km (24.9 miles)
Region OAXACA, MEXICO
Distances 45 km (30 miles) N of Puerto Angel, Oaxaca, Mexico
110 km (65 miles) S of Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
145 km (90 miles) W of Salina Cruz, Oaxaca, Mexico
460 km (285 miles) SE of MEXICO CITY, D.F., Mexico

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 4.3 km (2.7 miles); depth +/- 8.4 km (5.2 miles)
Parameters NST=292, Nph=292, Dmin=>999 km, Rmss=0.9 sec, Gp= 83°,
M-type=centroid moment magnitude (Mw), Version=7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I tyred to bring up the map of this recent seismic activity .... (Tuesday, February 09, 2010 at 00:47:42 (UTC) - Coordinated Universal Time
Monday, February 08, 2010 at 06:47:42 PM local time at epicenter) of this earthquake as I had before of this seismic event, it was not available?

Now on global scale as far as distances to and of the supposed impact location that has been reported, It showed this earth quake and that the claim of the meteor impact were very close, like in the back yard close. What I first noticed of the map for this day of the earthquake for Feb. 8, or 9, was that it shows 3 and 4 number of quakes or seismic events in proximity to the possible metoer hit.
The earth quake from above was 2 days before. Reported a day later and a before the possible meteor strike the seismic events were before the impact day on the 10Th.

Now I thought what if? Now this idea is hypothetical and I don't not mean to move towards being disinformation but, to just thinking out of the box a bit.
Is it possible or probable that the map of the seismic events (that could not i couldn't find again) could be a representation that there was more than one strike? And or a signature to the effects that if something can leave a 30 meter crater with hole 30 meters deep is perhaps going to cause a seismic signature or a seizure of the fault lines in the area that would looking like a quake to the Richter scales.
And these seismic events from above represents that.
Date-Time Tuesday, February 09, 2010 at 17:58:13 (UTC) - Coordinated Universal Time
Tuesday, February 09, 2010 at 11:58:13 AM local time at epicenter
Location 16.08N 92.34W
Depth 207.3 kilometers
Region CHIAPAS, MEXICO
Distances 30 km (20 miles) SW of Comitan, Chiapas, Mexico
80 km (50 miles) SSE of San Cristobal d/l Casas, Chiapas, Mexico
255 km (155 miles) NW of GUATEMALA CITY, Guatemala
810 km (500 miles) ESE of MEXICO CITY, D.F., Mexico

Location Uncertainty Error estimate: horizontal +/- 8.7 km; depth fixed by location program
Parameters Nst=80, Nph=90, Dmin=627.8 km, Rmss=1.08 sec, Erho=8.7 km, Erzz=0 km, Gp=153.0 degrees

And or that the date that is refuted of that day meteor hit to have occurred, is actually different than stated, and that the map of the seismic activity is actually represented could be a (possible since they sometimes travel in a cluster ) representation of a pattern of multiple hits from the heaven's? At first I did not want to post as create confusion or start a wild fire mentality, as this is just food for thought ?

I found a YOU TUBE video (in 2 parts) concerning this event of that day in February, when something was recorded (that was dropped from main stream and kind of disappeared) an investigation by a Mexican show similar to the states like tablode news paper journalism.

There both in Spanish and claim that the they think it was UFO crash as to a meteor crash. Though there descriptions sound more like meteor fall with talk of a flash of bright light before the ground shaking. I have also included the YOU TUBE comments of a viewer's interpreting of the first video and his thoughts of the reaction of the villager's, but it is his opinion and just his feeling of how they feel in expressing what had occurred. Very interesting :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cwhQCz1od0&NR=1&feature=fvwp

i am Mexican American from California and i speak both English and Spanish fluently and well, it seems like the indegenous people who witnessed this seem very shaken up. I dont get any sense whatsoever that they are making this all up for attention. i dont think we will ever know what it was because if the Mexican military did find something, they will never reveal it to the people because the military in Mexico is extremely secretive. whatever it was, it sure scared the hell out of the people.

ponchosvideos 3 days ago

In the second video the military is clearly visible. The journalist describes that the military has cordoning off the area and securing a boundary of where they think what ever has taken place is kept from prying eyes :huh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBQUKs1a_pE&feature=related

Back
Top Bottom