Potential Food and Energy Shortage Across the World

I remember years ago Willie Nelson was a great advocate of Farm Aid for the Ranchers and the agricultural industry in the US in the 80's and 90's with concerts and supports what happened...Bill Gates!

Last edited:
I remember years ago Willie Nelson was a great advocate of Farm Aid for the Ranchers and the agricultural industry in the US in the 80's and 90's with concerts and supports what happened...Bill Gates!

Most reading this post for the younger generation, Wille Neson a giant of political activism could not even consider a country/western singer as a political activist for the benefit of a real cause, those suffering at the time destroying their land with many just giving up with a land that they had owned fr generations, destroyed by the bankers and debt. To be taken over by commercial feedlot operations....Where to this day most of our food comes from some form of agricultural plant. Devoid of any human hand, to love nd grow.

Comment on the comment of Boar's Head story on SOTT today:

Background: I work for a chicken production company. I do not work in the plant, but due to my role in supply chain I do get a decent glimpse into quality assurance and plant issues.

My issue with the article itself is that it isn't specific:

1. "Blood on the floor" - could be anywhere. Depending on where you are in the plant, blood on the floor is normal, such as in "1st processing" i.e. the steps taken to hang, stun, kill, gut, and defeather a bird.

2. "Bugs" - while obviously not ideal, any plant could get flies in them especially during the heat of summer. Our plant gets flies on occasion, we take counter measures, and usually it really isn't a big deal.

3. "Mold" - Any processing plant should easily be able to get rid of mold. What I find curious about the mold claim is that USDA inspectors are on site every day, customers of Boar's Head likely frequently visit their plants to ensure quality of product, Boar's Head has it's own QA team on site every day... there are just to many interested groups to miss a significant mold issue. It just strikes me as suspect. Could they have found a little mold in a couple of corners? That seems more reasonable to me.

4. "A rancid smell in the receiving cooler with significant blood" - to an outsider, on the surface this is repulsive, but this isn't a terribly unusual instance. Sometimes product gets lost and it spoils. Sometimes very large boxes (think ~1,600lbs) break and spill on the floor.

5. "Condensation and clogged drains" - again, these are totally normal problems. Condensation is always an issue in the summer. Clogged drains are a weekly occurrence.

6. "69 instances of non-compliance" - while this sounds like an awful lot, it does not give a timeline for these non-compliances. Were these for the entire year? or just the past two weeks? Some non-compliances have nothing to do with food safety, some non-compliances are small issues, and some non-compliances are serious issues. Don't quote me on this yet, as I'll do some digging but I'd guess that 50-100 non-compliances is "normal" for an older plant.

7. "VDACS said over the past year it took 12 samples from the plant to a USDA lab for testing and that they all came back negative for listeria." - How does VDACS take 12 samples over the course of a year that all come back negative and then a "huge" listeria outbreak happens? I don't know, but it is curious.

Summary: while the article paints a pretty bleak picture, it could also just as well describe my company's plant and we've never had any serious pathogen issues. In fact, this article could probably describe any aging meat processing facility in the US.

I mean, they recalled 7 million lbs of meat! If everyone made a 1/4lb sandwich, that is 28 million sandwich's and only 66 (9 dead, 55 hospitalized) people got sick? That's 0.0002%! With people's immune systems the way they are they could have got listeria from tap water for all we know. So, I personally would lean heavily to the side of this story being highly suspect per the Sott editors comments:

Comment: No doubt the facility was contaminated. That seems crystal clear. But it begs curiosity as to how/why high-end meat products of a nationally-renowned supplier tested positive for a food-borne bacterial illness to this extent. We know meat/poultry facilities are mysteriously burning to the ground, herds and flocks are being exterminated, alt meat has made its debut and farm/ranch lands are being bought up by Bill Gates. Is there any connection? A new facet? Threat by example? Or, just sloppy neglect causing deadly-tainted salami.

FYI: CDC estimates that each year in the United States 1,600 people are infected with Listeria, and 260 people die from the infection.

I think 'War on Food' reaching to new level. Obviously 'some body' knows (or suspects) something and wants to test it out the contingencies. Though the context of the below article is related to War in Eastern Europe, I suspect this is a 'cover' for natural (coming cometary impact) or artificial( attacks) and inevitable food shortages and how to retain the control over the population.

The US Defense Department has ordered a study to simulate the impact of a nuclear conflict on global agriculture. According to a solicitation notice posted on a government procurement platform, the study will focus on regions beyond Eastern Europe and Western Russia,” which in the simulation is the epicenter of the hypothetical nuclear weapons deployment.

The project will be spearheaded by the US Army Corps of Engineers, Engineer Research and Development Center (ERDC).

According to the notice posted earlier this week, the ERDC has already chosen Terra Analytics, a Colorado-based company that specializes in advanced data visualization and analyses, as the contractor. However, it states that other potential contractors are invited to share their proposals if they are able to provide similar services.

The notice lists requirements for contractors to fulfill, such as providing personnel, equipment, facilities, supervision, and other items necessary to conduct the study. The contractor would, among other things, need to incorporate aerial mapping in the simulation and model a scenario in which a “non-destructive nuclear event” takes place. The cost of the contract has been set at $34 million.

It is unclear from the notice how the Pentagon intends to use the study. However, the order comes at a time when talk of a potential nuclear war has intensified in light of the Ukraine conflict and the growing discord between the NATO and Russia. Many experts have warned that a direct confrontation between Russia and the US-led bloc could result in a nuclear disaster. According to the Federation of American Scientists, Washington and Moscow control the largest atomic arsenals in the world, with around 5,000 and 5,500 warheads, respectively.

The New York Times reported last month that the US administration had approved a new version of its nuclear strategy. According to the newspaper, the document ordered US forces to prepare for possible coordinated nuclear confrontations with Russia, China, and North Korea.

Russia has often warned that the West’s military support of the Ukrainian government could exacerbate the current conflict, turning it into a world war. Russian policymakers have recently been considering making adjustments to the country’s own atomic doctrine to provide for pre-emptive nuclear strikes. Moscow has, however, consistently stated that a nuclear war must never be fought.

Mr. Cabon Netraul Bill Gates, with the help of ECC Capital Corp in California, takes over ownership of the bankrupt mining company Kemmerer Coal in the city of Kemmerer, Wyoming.

Terraforming takes a new approach while getting rich (in the meantime).

Screenshot 2024-09-14 at 19-31-18 Kemmerer-coal-mine-4.13.24.jpg (AVIF Image 2048 × 1152 pixel...png
The Kemmerer, Wyoming, coal mine. (Getty Images)
A New York-based business development company that specializes in managing credit and equity investments, has quietly sold its struggling Kemmerer coal mining operation in southwestern Wyoming to a Southern California real estate investment company.

The sale by PhenixFIN Corp. comes at a time when the Kemmerer mine recently announced plans to halt work on a $30 million project to move U.S. Highway 30 near the old Wyoming coal mining town of Kemmerer so that the mine owners could gain access to more than 9 million tons of coal reserves.

The area is becoming a hot real estate market to build everything from a nuclear reactor to industrial factories related to turning coal into something other than burning it in a coal-fired power plant — like cosmetics and nutrients for skin care.

This spring, the billionaire Bill Gates-backed TerraPower LLC moved forward with building his Natrium nuclear reactor in Kemmerer. The commercially powered reactor is considered the first demonstration of its kind in the United States.

Meanwhile, few details have emerged on the sale price of the coal mining operations to ECC Capital Corp., a Southern California-based specialty finance company that manages a residential mortgage portfolio.

As part of the transaction, ECC sold a 44% position in its company to PhenixFin.

A filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) says that PhenixFin paid $4.2 million for its minority stake in ECC, while terms of ECC’s purchase of the coal mine were not disclosed.

The filing says that Kemmerer Operations had a $21.3 million loan outstanding with PhenixFin in April.

ECC President Kevin Cloyd confirmed the acquisition of the coal mine from PhenixFin in an email statement to Cowboy State Daily.

Cloyd declined to elaborate on the company’s plans for the property, and whether the sale includes the entire 13,400-acre surface mine complex.

“Beyond what is in our public filings … we do not comment on our company’s investments,” Cloyd said.

PhenixFin CEO David Lorder couldn’t be reached for comment.

Kemmerer city officials said they had not heard about the sale of the local coal mine.

“My hope is that the new owner will continue to expand the opportunities before them,” said Brian Muir, city administrator.

Muir cited opportunities with other companies that include coal-to-ammonia conversion, as well as other possibilities for repurposing coal.

"It seems like a positive to me that someone is willing to invest in the Kemmerer mine,” Muir said. "We hope their intent is to help keep the coal industry going, which would mean continued, and potentially additional, coal jobs for the coal mine families and individuals in the community."

Multiple Owners

This isn’t the first time that the Kemmerer coal mine has changed hands.

In 2011, Westmoreland Coal Co. bought Chevron Mining’s Kemmerer mine for $193 million, including 118 million tons of coal reserves.

However, the mine was seized by creditors in 2019 after Westmoreland filed for bankruptcy protection in October 2018, citing $1 billion in debt and a troubled coal market.

Former health care executive and Virginia billionaire Tom Clarke formed a new company, Western Coal Acquisitions Partners LLC, to buy the mining operation, but the attempted takeover that valued the mine at $215 million fell through.

PhenixFin entered the picture sometime in late 2019 when it bought distressed debt and equity in the Kemmerer mining operations, according to the SEC filings. PhenixFin was previously known as Medley Capital, according to the filings.

When reached by telephone Friday, Kemmerer Operations CEO Gerry Tywoniuk declined to comment, but confirmed that his mining operation is now a unit of ECC.

ECC Capital, prior to this acquisition, mainly dealt with distressed mortgages, or loans that are on the brink of going under.

This is something that ECC’s Cloyd is familiar with.

Cloyd, who has been president of Corona del Mar, California-based ECC since 2019, previously held several mortgage-related jobs over the past 30 years, including as executive vice president with New Century Financial Corp. from 2001 to 2007.

His time at New Century was during a difficult period for subprime lending, or home loans made to people with poor credit histories.

In 2007, Cloyd ‘s employer filed for bankruptcy protection amid a surge in homeowner defaults. It was considered the biggest mortgage lender to collapse in the slumping housing market at the time.

The former Irvine, California-based company — which was once located about 7 miles northeast of his current ECC headquarters along the Pacific Ocean coastline — fired 3,200 employees and sold off most of its assets.

Chicken Or Egg?

The coal mine purchase is outside of ECC’s typical business, and came prior to a letter that Kemmerer Operations President and General Manager Don Crank sent to engineers with the Wyoming Department of Transportation and local politicians about halting work on the road realignment.

“Due to current and foreseeable declining coal demand, KOL (Kemmerer Operations LLC) can no longer justify committing further resources in the form of time and funding toward advancement of this project,” wrote Crank in the letter obtained from WYDOT this week.

“This project will be moved to what we call a ‘shelf’ project, which means most of the design work is complete, and it could be picked up and constructed at a later date if funding becomes available,” WYDOT spokeswoman Stephanie Harsha told Cowboy State Daily.

The nearby Kemmerer coal mine had wanted to realign a nearly 3-mile stretch of U.S. Highway 30 to the north a little bit — about a half mile — so that it could gain access to 9 million tons of rich coal reserves. WYDOT was looking at making an 80- to 100-foot vertical cut in the hillside to the north of U.S. 30.

Another 9 Million Tons

The design process of moving the highway began in 2018, but was put on hold a few years ago, then restarted in May 2023.

Before Crank sent a letter to WYDOT halting the project, the current goal was to have plans ready to begin carving into the landscape by January and complete the work no later than 2027.

The coal downturn in Wyoming changed this strategy.

“KOL will continue to look for future coal sales that could allow us to resume this project,” Grant wrote in the letter to WYDOT engineers and obtained by Cowboy State Daily.

“We understand the tax revenue stream provided to the state of Wyoming and Lincoln County is of utmost importance, and either entity may choose to continue funding the engineering work,” Crank wrote.

The Kemmerer coal mine has the oldest active unionized workforce in the United States. The United Mine Workers of America represents more than 226 miners at UMWA Local 1307.

Downturn In Mining

The Kemmerer mine, like others in Wyoming, has struggled in a downturn across the nation. It employs nearly 200 people.

In the latest quarter that ended June 30, Kemmerer Operations reported digging up about 604,100 tons of coal, one of the lowest producing mines in Wyoming, according to data compiled by the Mine Safety and Health Administration.

The pullback in mining is coming at a time when the Kemmerer area is becoming a billionaire’s row for new investment.

The mine is in a strategic spot in Kemmerer, a scrappy southwestern Wyoming town known for coal mining and as the birthplace of James Cash Penney’s department store chain from the banks of the Hams Fork River.

While Kemmerer Operations has a variety of plans underway to keep digging the coal, converting the Naughton coal-fired plant to a natural gas-fueled one has worried local politicians and prospects. Warren Buffet-backed PacifiCorp owns Naughton.

The Kemmerer mine backs up against the Naughton power plant.

Naughton’s Future?

In recent years, local politicians have focused their attention on the lineup of big energy companies that have committed throwing billions of dollars into building new factories along U.S. Highway 189 south of Kemmerer and Diamondville.

These include the TerraPower nuclear reactor site across the road from Naughton, and plans to build a coal-to-ammonia plant nearby.

A disparate group of well-heeled investors out of Utah, Idaho, Florida, Maine and Wyoming with hundreds of millions of investment dollars have bought 136 acres of land and are digging up the landscape near the Naughton power plant to pave the way for their skincare line, among other projects they have in mind to repurpose coal.

The investors are called TriSight AG LLC, a technologies company with a “green” vision for coal that has on its drawing board plans to turn some of the coal dug up at the adjacent mine owned by Kemmerer Operations into a nutrient for skin to smooth out lines or wrinkles.

Pat Maio can be reached at pat@cowboystatedaily.com.

This company has been processing pork products since 1905. Though its pork products are not the finest quality available, it does represent another protein-source food company that bites the dust and fades in the wind.

The company is also permanently ceasing liverwurst production.

Following a Listeria outbreak linked to the deaths of nine people, the Boar’s Head Provisions Co. has announced the indefinite closure of its meat-packing plant in Jarratt, which sits in Greensville and Sussex counties.

“This is a dark moment in our company’s history, but we intend to use this as an opportunity to enhance food safety programs not just for our company, but for the entire industry,” the company wrote on its website.

In a prepared release, the United Food and Commercial Workers Local 400 Union that represents the plant’s workers, wrote that the outbreak was “not the fault of the workforce,” adding, “it is especially unfortunate that the Jarratt plant must close indefinitely and put so many men and women out of work.”

The union also wrote that it has reached an agreement with the company to relocate the Jarratt workforce to other plants or provide severance pay.

Boar’s Head also announced it will permanently stop producing liverwurst.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention launched an investigation into what it described as the largest Listeria outbreak in the United States since 2011 — linked to liverwurst produced at the Jarratt plant between June 11 and July 17 and shipped internationally.

That outbreak triggered a massive recall of more than 7 million pounds of meat. The CDC currently believes the outbreak was responsible for nine deaths and the hospitalization of 57 people nationwide.

One of those hospitalized was Barbara Schmidt of Williamsburg, who filed a lawsuit against the corporation in federal court on Sept. 6. Schmidt alleges that she became violently ill after consuming Boar’s Head liverwurst that she bought at a Harris Teeter.

“And within a few days had classic symptoms – neck ache, headache, body aches,” said her Seattle-based lawyer, Bill Marler, who also represents six other people suing Boar’s Head in similar situations.

“She was lucky to pull it out,” he said. “A lot of people don’t.”

It’s the second Virginia-based lawsuit related to the outbreak. The family of Gunter Morgenstein, an 88-year-old Newport News resident whose death has been linked to the listeria outbreak, has filed a wrongful death suit in the company’s home state of Florida.

“This situation was tragic in that it was preventable,” said Tony Coveny, the lawyer representing Morgenstein’s family. “The application of good manufacturing practices is meant to prevent this sort of tragedy from happening in the future. There were a lot of lapses in sanitation in the facility.”

An attorney representing Boar’s Head’s declined to comment on the suits, citing pending litigation.

UK Chief Scientific Adviser Paul Monks goes 51/50 with the nonadmission of Solar Cycle 25.

LOL

Current Global fire activity, according to the Weather Underground
👀

Meanwhile:

Last edited:

Repeated rains: a very complicated autumn start for agriculture

updated 27/09/24 at 17:37
The repeated rains of recent days have seriously damaged farmers' morale. Many agricultural regions have a very large surplus rainfall in September 2024, which promises to be one of the rainiest years. The saturated soils and the high ambient humidity have serious consequences for field work (harvesting or sowing).

This month of September will have been marked by a high degree of instability in the first part of the month with the presence of cold drops causing heavy stormy showers. In the final decade of the month, oceanic disturbances made their way back with an atmospheric river circulating a moisture-laden air mass over much of the country. A first rainfall assessment shows that the regions from south-west to north-east have been very sprinkled. For some cities such as Mont-de-Marsan, Melun or Limoges, the cumulative rainfall observed from 1 to 26 September is more than double the average monthly rainfall.

All these rains have saturated the agricultural soils so that the work of the fields is delayed (beet harvests, sunflower, maize, etc.). Some crops are drowned with lakes forming in plots that no longer absorb the least precipitation. A risk of rottenness and moisture-related diseases may affect certain fruit and vegetable crops. In the middle of the harvest, some vines found themselves flooded in the most watered sectors with difficulties in accessing the harvesting plots.

The weather conditions of the coming weeks will be crucial for farmers. They need a period of dry weather that is sustainable enough to dry up the land and continue their work in the fields. Our 4-week trend is not optimistic that the persistence of a frequently disturbed time. The anticyclonic conditions do not seem to want to establish themselves for a long time in a long way of time that are too short-lived to allow farmers, horticulturists and marketers to benefit from them.

To be read alsoAtmospheric River: Exceptional rains on France this week

Civilization Cycle Live: Preparing for the inevitable.
Ended 12 hours ago

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom