Pregnancy

Hello!

Congratulations!!

I found this website to be helpful when I was pregnant;

And a nutritionist here advised that I take a B complex supplement to help with sickness. In the end I was taking;

-Zinc
-Magnesium
-B complex (this one https://www.objectivenutrients.com/products/thiavite-uk/) - this has the folate in too but a much more natural non synthetic version as opposed to the stuff the hospital provides.
-Calcium (but if getting lots of bone broth I don't think it would be needed in supplement form)
-Vitamin K (1&2)
-Vitamin d3
And cod liver oil (Nordic naturals) but there's alot of controversy on that....

I honestly can't remember where I had gotten the information from to take the above. I think I did quite a lot of research and written these all down in my journal to take. So I would try to do your own research also, as I'm no professional and these are just what worked for me.

I just ate as much meaty fatty things as I could and probably should have eaten more! Meaty stews, Bolognese, chickeny things. I definitely should have had more bone broth but it was so hard to stomach.

Also if your wife is interested I took an online course for Hypnobirthing and read the book, it teaches you about how to body prepares for birth, what happens in labour and how to breathe through it all without medical intervention. It taught me how to trust my body, and trust my baby that he knew best.

Also actually the book contains information on medications, inductions etc and arguments for and against.

Good luck and best wishes :hug2:

I just thought, is your wife planning on breastfeeding? If so, I wish someone had told me to learn all I could about it.
Seeing a lactation consultant before giving birth would be useful, I thought it would be easy as it's natural but it's honestly a learnt skill. It took my baby and I around 10 weeks to get it (without it being painful or a struggle) and I was unbelievably naive thinking it would be like a walk in the park!

Last edited:
@Seamus thank you very much, I will use the info you provided to help with our research and decisions. Yes! It’s our first child and we are definitely going the midwife route!

@lilyalic we were having the same discussions pretty much on supplementing with bone broth and fatty meats 😅 so I guess we’re not too far off. Also, I will definitely look into that book as well as the breastfeeding resource.

Thanks to admin as well for moving my post. I did not anticipate that I was going to get so much information so quickly. :scared:

Check out the book Nourishing Traditions for Babies/Toddlers by Sally Fallon, there is a ton of info in there for pregnant women as well as the best foods to start your baby on.

I’ve actually read a lot recently that goes against taking a prenatal and instead focusing on whole foods (beef liver being number one). Prenatals tend to have folic acid instead of folate and lots of other crappy synthetic vitamins.

I would second the cod liver oil if she can stomach it. There’s a thread in the diet section about fish oil and how it assimilates better if it’s emulsified with another fat too.

Anyway, congratulations! Parenthood is a wild ride.

Hi @Steph_rivers congratulations to you both! I'm currently at the end of my 2nd trimester with our first child. Feels like jumping off a cliff in a storm in end times. I have to assure myself that no one comes into these interesting times without a preview of sorts.

I'm also planning a home birth with a midwife. I don't know where you live, but in the US, natural birth has been totally taken over by medical system and it seems that many physicians are uncomfortable/not knowledgeable of the birth process. After hearing one my friend's birth process at a local hospital, I started to think that I just did not want to to have that experience. I found a podcast by a midwife and her friend and colleague, a prenatal/postnatal educator called "Down to Birth" which has been invaluable in terms of the amount and quality of knowledge imparted.

I've been taking Source of Life multivitamin, B vitamins, vit D, a multi mineral a few days a week, Iodine a few days a week, and liposomal Vit C 2400 mg in the 2nd trimester with a little liposomal glutathione. Here's some interesting info I found regarding Vit C, the legacy of Dr Klenner and pregnancy: How to Use Vitamin C During Pregnancy for a Safer Birth, a Healthy Baby, and a Happy Mom I think I should probably up my Vit C dose a bit.

I've found too that I just have to forgive myself for eating carbs especially in the first trimester. Unless you have experienced the nausea and the food aversions, you just don't know.

Lastly, we have been trying to expand our knowledge my husband and I have been educating ourselves in baby supplies and sleep. I would highly recommend The Happiest Baby on the Block. Lots of good information about re-creating the womb experience in the "4th trimester" to prevent parents from going crazy with sleeplessness and frustration. Dr Karp is a pediatrician and has invented a product called the Snoo which is a basinet that recreates the womb experience. Expensive but we found one used. You can also rent them.

Check out the book Nourishing Traditions for Babies/Toddlers by Sally Fallon, there is a ton of info in there for pregnant women as well as the best foods to start your baby on.

I’ve actually read a lot recently that goes against taking a prenatal and instead focusing on whole foods (beef liver being number one). Prenatals tend to have folic acid instead of folate and lots of other crappy synthetic vitamins.

I would second the cod liver oil if she can stomach it. There’s a thread in the diet section about fish oil and how it assimilates better if it’s emulsified with another fat too.

Anyway, congratulations! Parenthood is a wild ride.
It's almost like you read my mind... ;-).We concluded that prenatal vitamin complexes are like little trojan horses. So much junk in between the lines...

Thanks to all your information we decided that the primary source of supplementation will be grass fed beef liver, cod liver oil, and a simple Biotin vitamin complex that contains a good amount of B12. We already take Liposomal C and D3. Along with how we already eat, we should be fine in terms of the recommended vitamins and mineral intake.

Honestly can't thank you all enough. I feel very fortunate to have found a network that I can access highly valuable information and experiences to benefit our lives.

Back
Top Bottom