Prem Rawat - Maharaji, The Lord of the Universe

henry

The Cosmic Force
I am currently doing some research in the self-proclaimed Lord of the Universe? Maharaji. Some of you older folks, ;-), might remember him as the teenage wonder Guru in the 70s who was head of the Divine Light Mission. Seems he has retooled himself into a sort of secular inspirational speaker who can bring you Inner Peace if you go to the right UN sponsored conference...

The flip side seems to be that you sign over your soul to the devil, er, Maharaji through eternal devotion because he, and he alone, was smart enough to take four Yoga techniques, wrap them up in a ball of secrecy, and deliver The Knowledge, BLISS ensured, though your millage may vary.

So if any of you have personal sotries about this guy, either through direct contact or via friends, I would love to hear about it.

I remember this guy. It was 1982, and this is all from memory.

Apparently, it was his dad who started the Divine Light thing, and it was pretty well restricted to India. When Dad died, Mom appointed the first-born son as the replacement, but he spent it all in riotous living - he liked fast cars and booze. So Mom fired him and appointed the second son, the current Maharaji. This was in the seventies. The new Maharaji moved to Florida with his young family, and some years later moved to Mexico (? not sure about the Mexico move).

Maharaji goes where he is invited, although he gets too many invitations to accept them all. In '82, a friend of mine who was a follower of Maharaji invited me to go to one of his presentations in a theatre in Vancouver. The local group had hired the theatre, and there was no charge for the tickets. Four of us went, three skeptical young thirty somethings and the follower.

Maharaji was a little guy, dressed like an upper class hindu all in white. For about an hour, he talked about himself, his life, what he did. He claimed that we all have a higher self that we could become in touch with. This higher self could see farther and better, and could give us intuitive promptings if we knew how to listen. He had something called Knowledge which he could give us - all we had to do was ask. No charge. In fact, there was no pressure for money at all, but it was clear that everything was funded by donation.

As he talked, a feeling of giddiness spread among the people gathered in the packed theatre. Everybody was happy and giggling by the end.

I was intrigued enough to follow up, and made an appointment to meet with one of the helpers. The way it worked was, people who wanted to help spread Knowledge could volunteer to do this, and were trained by Maharaji. If they were accepted, they would be assigned to a city other than where they lived for a couple of years. They would live in a house rented by the local group and screen applicants for Knowledge. Their only rule was that they had to remain chaste as long as they did this work. And so I met Willi, from somewhere in the american mid-west - a really nice guy, about my age, who liked to play tennis.

Basically, we would meet up somewhere and hang out for a couple of hours just talking. It didn't really matter what we talked about, he was sizing up my readiness to receive Knowledge. He decided I was ready after about a week, and invited me up to the house.

Before I arrived, Willi spent a couple of hours in meditation building up energy, so he was flying (figuratvely speaking) when I got there. We sat facing each other on the living room floor, and he taught me the three methods of meditation - one to see the light, one to hear the sound, and one to feel the feeling. Then he asked me if I was ready to receive. With my agreement, he placed the tips of three of his fingers on my forehead and delivered a jolt, like electricity, but smoother. That was it, and I left the house. I was high for about three hours.

So it was about feeling good and feeling high, but I wasn't conscientious enough to meditate enough to keep it going full time, and I gradually stopped doing it. I continued to receive the mailings for a couple of years, and then they tapered off. I heard later that Willi had fallen in love and left the work

My friend who had originally invited me to see the Maharaji died last year from cancer. She was a follower to the end.

Just to add a couple of points, Henry. Maharaji never presented himself as anything other than just a guy who had somthing that he wanted to share, and he would give to any who asked if they were really asking. I didn't have to sign away anything, let alone any soul I might have had. No devotion was required or requested. However, it was common for followers to have a picture of the guy displayed prominently in their house in an area dedicated to meditation, like a shrine.

It would be interesting to see what you come up with in your research.

Wathing these old videos may be useful. "I am here to establish peace on this Earth" - it was in 1973. And then "What happened to this repoter beaten by some of Guru Maharaji followers in Detroit?" :rolleyes:

There are two things that struck me in chuck's description of the Maharaji. One was the "family business" thing, where the mother sought to have the number one son follow in daddy's footsteps. What struck me about this was primarily the fact that Indian guru lineages rarely pass leadership to members of their own family. The father did not seem to give instructions here, and the mother arbitrarily passed leadership to the first born just like in any business, without considering that son's inner potential.

The other thing that struck me was the "gift" the Maharaji offered to people. I believe the experience is commonly called "shaktipat", but I think the term covers many varied effects of experience transfer. In this case, the transfer seems to be temporary, and is limited to a heightened energy state in the body. From the description, I don't see much difference between this, and a chemically induced experience (although different chemicals generate different experiences).

Once one is "touched", and experiences the high via induction, having a photo of the guru can generate a kind of flashback state or rekindling of the experience, usually not as intense as the first one. Or just having a photo around can generate a sort of non-local induction effect in some people, even without direct former contact.

I have read different accounts of shaktipat, and in many cases the first experience is always the strongest, the one leaving the strongest impression. Meditators sometimes generate their own experiences afterward through extensive meditation, and in this sense getting a "taste" might be useful.

However, I do not see how a "high" has any relation to world peace. Timothy Leary seemed to be thinking along similar lines, and in the end "dropping out" was the only real result. Timothy Leary believed in the power of LSD to change the world. I think the Maharaji also believes in his power. And I think he sees no conflict between his ideals, and the practicals of running a spiritual family business.

People, gurus included, stuck on tradition will often respect the concept of "hierarchy" wherever it manifests in the world, especially if it claimes to express ideals similar to theirs. I think that on a conscious level at least the Maharaji sincerely believes in the effectiveness of world organizations such as the UN. His world-view works for him so he considers it "right".

He learned, IMO, to maintain a certain energy state, (which may very well be induced through extensive biochemical conditioning resulting from mechanical meditative pursuits). He learned to, furthermore, transfer that state, which usually happens spontaneously when the state stabilizes in one's body. He seems to think he is doing great work, and getting a nice profit from it.

It seems the exercises he promotes, as I said, are different means of biochemical conditioning, a kind of stimulation of certain neurotransmitter and hormone releases in a sustained manner. This results in bliss. Whether this is useful or even healthy is another story.

Is it a coincidence that many gurus die of cancer? Unlike Taoist masters who admit they are improving their bodies, and who do retain youthfulness and vitality (although there are exceptions to this), without making extensive spiritual claims, Indian gurus are not generally subjects of robust health and longevity.

The bliss they promote can generate neurotransmitter depletion, which requires a high protein intake to be supplanted. Since most of these people do not have a high protein intake, abstinence would be a must to prevent protein and mineral loss.

All in all, I think there is often a confusion between enlightenment and stimulation of the body's drug factory, and the most popular gurus (although there are exceptions to the rule) are pushers of instrinsic drug experiences. These can be useful (just like extrinsic experiences) in simply revealing the power of altered states and experiences outside the box of normality. They can, however, be addictive, and can take and have taken people away from moving on a truly integrative path.

Since there are forces that are geared to prevent people moving on a true path, it stands to reason these would support such gurus, whether they are sincere or not.

Eso, I think you are right about the high and its drug-like quality. However, that is only part of the problem with what Maharaji, or Prem Rawat as he calls himself now that he is an "inspirational speaker", does. He then takes the student's experience and ties it to himself as a personality: you have this experience because of and through me and my ability to give it to you. That is a very strong hook to someone who has arrived emotionally confused and in a state of despair.

Not that he is by any means alone in this scam.

I think that Chuck saw only the outer shell in his brief with them. If he had been rich, the pressure might have been a little more intense. The guy has a lifestyle that demands a lot of income and it has come from wealthy patrons. During the seventies, when he was still the boy guru and the self-proclaimed Lord of the Universe, he received the keys to New York, New Orleans, Monterey, Oakland, Detroit, Miami, and Macon in the United States, and Kyoto, in Japan. That shows some pretty heavy pulling of strings!

Now he is an invited speaker at UN sponsored conferences.

henry said:
However, that is only part of the problem with what Maharaji, or Prem Rawat as he calls himself now that he is an "inspirational speaker", does. He then takes the student's experience and ties it to himself as a personality: you have this experience because of and through me and my ability to give it to you. That is a very strong hook to someone who has arrived emotionally confused and in a state of despair.
Well, that's what the "family business" angle is all about. What I was trying to convey was that the "scam" is tricky to identify if we take it like any other business scam. This man sells a "product", which is "bliss". The product, as far as it goes, is a real "high". This puts the scammer more in the frame of a drug-peddlar claiming right of monopoly, rather than that of a con artist who provides nothing but promises.

Many people will deny the scam because they do not understand its nature. They will say "but I really FELT something!", and assume because they did feel something them guru must be all he claims to be. I totally agree with you that any wealthy costumer would be fleeced for all he or she was worth. The fleecing is easy because scam is not based on sleight of hand as on product misrepresentation.

I came to the conclusion that this guru believes in his lie because you cannot manipulate your way into developing such abilities. You have to have a certain commitment to train in that manner. I forgot, however, accounts I read of tantric gurus who basically train desciples to project psychic force independently of knowledge or any kind of real transformation of self. So the "commitment" can easily be based on material ambition and desire for glory.

Any discerning individual or someone involved in real esoteric seeking would know the difference between what amounts to a psychic martial artist and person of true awareness, but most people do not. Most people assume if they can feel something, then it must be "spiritual". Another aspect here is that mechanical psychism can allow the "guru" to project a kind of false charisma in the form of a perpetual energetic subliminal manipulation (kind of like masturbating the worshippers).

I have met people involved in the occult who boasted of similar capabilities, and have felt them try to apply them. I think many psychopaths, especially the more occult-oriented ones would know one of their kind, and recognize effective mechanical psychism when they see it. The guru gets acclaim and money, and the backers have themselves a source of "spiritual authority" that can give something tangible. I don't think the "backers" would waste their money on anything less.

Unfortunately, most people have no experience with the potentials of the human energy field (thanks to all the debunker "scientists" out there), and revert to a kind of primal superstition when they encounter an effect beyond their paradigm. Since it is beyond their paradigm, their critical faculties fail, and only emotional response remains. And people who can tweak other people's nervous systems via induction pass off as gods, or close enough.

To be conscious: (something that you could do with...)

http://www.youtube.com/v/UhLvEyel9lc

r3tro

retro said:
To be conscious: (something that you could do with...)

http://www.youtube.com/v/UhLvEyel9lc

r3tro
Hi r3tro,

Thanks for this priceless document. I have transcribed these memorable words so that the members here can benefit, and then bring their intellect, something I know Prem Rawat isn't very fond of, to bear upon it.

Prem Rawat - Transcription of the video refered to by r3tro said:
If you want to shine for a lifetime, it begins with every day.

Indeed it begins with every hour; indeed it begins with every minute.

Consciousness, to be conscious, conscious that you're alive, conscious that you exist, conscious, that is the most incredible dream that has come true!

The most incredible wish anybody could ever wish has come true.

And it shouldn't be tragedy that teaches you. Tragedy should not be your teacher. (giggle) Tragedy is not a good thing to have around.

You should learn from consciousness. Let consciousness be your teacher.

Let the process be of awakening every day with admiration and with a heart full because these are the possibilities, this is when you sound melodic. Not a scratch, but melodic.

This is what is going on. Underneath the whole fa

Prem Rawat - Transcription of the video refered to by r3tro wrote: said:
If you want to shine for a lifetime, it begins with every day.

Indeed it begins with every hour; indeed it begins with every minute.

Consciousness, to be conscious, conscious that you're alive, conscious that you exist, conscious, that is the most incredible dream that has come true!

The most incredible wish anybody could ever wish has come true.

And it shouldn't be tragedy that teaches you. Tragedy should not be your teacher. (giggle) Tragedy is not a good thing to have around.

You should learn from consciousness. Let consciousness be your teacher.

Let the process be of awakening every day with admiration and with a heart full because these are the possibilities, this is when you sound melodic. Not a scratch, but melodic.

This is what is going on. Underneath the whole facade of this world, indeed, this is what is going on.

The simplest of wish to be happy and when it is fulfilled, it is.
henry said:
I invite our members to read carefully these cherished words, better yet, to watch the video because Prem Rawat brings his own inimitable style to them, and then analyse what he is saying.
What first jumps out from reading this and then watching the video is the obvious repetition and emphasis placed on the words and phrases he repeats. Boom (Boom = higher volume, intensity, speed of speech) a few words (slower tempo and softer volume), Boom a few words, Boom...

Here is how I see what he is saying. What a person should wish to obtain, to awaken to, to have the most incredible dream come true, to fulfill is being happy=shine for a lifetime=be happy all the time no matter what=admiration and heart full (of what, I quess happiness)=sounding melodic (only have a ? mark for this one).
Don't learn from tragedy (tragedy=bad=not happy). Don't learn from mistakes, just think happy thoughts. (Reminds me of the dialogue (Happy repeated numerous times) and spinning head of the actor Will Ferrell in the Movie 'Zoolander' when the the main charater is being mind programmed - followed by the hilarious line "obey my dog") Don't worry, be happy- (Q that song from when I was a kid). Learn from consciousness (not defined), which can be had through a process (not described other than what seems to be waking up and being happy)

The last line seems to come right out of the YCYOR handbook and sums up the whole gist of his speech. If you wish something, it will happen (be fulfilled, it is = being happy) with no work or action other than thinking it.

Henry, I look forward to reading what you wrote today.

Gee, the universe is pretty big. And he's lord of it? Hmm. I thought God is the universe. And there's nothing above God. Isn't putting yourself at or above God's level, STS?

There is no real 'essence' to what this man is saying. But, his method of delivery is hypnotizing. I could imagine all those unhappy 'seekers of truth' just drooling at what this guy is saying, and absorbing/drinking/believing it in a non-analytical manner. He does sell 'bliss'.

Here's an excerpt from Laura's book, Secret History, which was posted on the 'pendant' topic in the PSI section. It explains this situation clearly.....
As above, so below...
http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=1710&p=2

r3tro email said:
Friday, June 23, 2006 3:52 AM Subject: This is the way this forum works?

By banning me from posting?

Free speech, or just leave-us-alone-we
do-not-want-to-engage-others-that-do-not-share-"our"-views?

r3tro
r3tro, from what I see you are Under Moderation and not banned from posting.

r3tro email said:
Friday, June 23, 2006 3:52 AM Subject: This is the way this forum works?

By banning me from posting?

Free speech, or just leave-us-alone-we
do-not-want-to-engage-others-that-do-not-share-"our"-views?

r3tro
r3tro contacted me privately. I invited him to outline his views here on the Maharaji after reading my article at:

http://www.signs-of-the-times.org/signs/maharaji.php

We'll see if he takes up the invitation.

Esoquest said:
All in all, I think there is often a confusion between enlightenment and stimulation of the body's drug factory, and the most popular gurus (although there are exceptions to the rule) are pushers of instrinsic drug experiences.
And people who can tweak other people's nervous systems via induction pass off as gods, or close enough.
Eso, you took the words right out of my mouth. I posted a topic about almost the same thing in this thread:
http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=1360

I think in the new age movement, there are plenty of 'gurus' who have such capabilities. It can be so easy to fall prey, especially if one is young or 'damaged' psychologically, or has psychopathic tendencies, or isn't analytical/critical.

I was involved with SRF (self realization fellowship). Paramahansa Yogananda was the guru, and the organization encouraged having pictures of the gurus to get their 'shaktipat'.
As eso said, these men pass as gods to ordinary, every day people, because they are able to tweak the nervous system via induction..

Back
Top Bottom