Psychopath Night - Channel 4 TV (UK)

ec1968

Jedi
For Info:

Channel 4 TV in the UK are having a 'psychopath night' on Saturday December 14th from 9PM:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/psychopath-night

Thanks. I'll be watching this. It's on at 9pm next Saturday. I'll be surprised if it's not a typical PTB dance of disinformation. But you never know. The preamble looks promising:

"Psychopaths are a ruthless breed who lie, manipulate and sometimes murder, with no hint of conscience of remorse. One per cent of the population are classified as psychopathic. There may be one in your office. There could be one on your street. They are all around us, often in positions of power. Psychopath Night unravels the mystery of this minority, with the help of leading experts. The programme goes inside the minds of psychopaths, finds out how to spot a psychopath, and meets real psychopathic killers. The programme also gets to know some familiar faces who are high on the psychopathic scale, including a star of the England football team. There's also a countdown of the Top 10 movie psychopaths, as selected by experts, including a real-life Clarice Starling who uses Hollywood movies to teach her FBI trainees about psychopaths and how to handle them. Psychopath Night reveals everything you ever wanted to know about psychopaths, and perhaps a few things you didn't."

_http://www.channel4.com/programmes/psychopath-night/episode-guide

It looked quite promising until I spotted the part at the bottom:

"These tests were devised by Professor Kevin Dutton, University of Oxford. He is a best selling author and an expert on the psychopathic personality. To visit his website go to: _www.kevindutton.co.uk(This link opens in a new window). Follow him on Twitter: @profkevindutton"

It seems that Kevin Dutton is behind this in a big way.

I had a look at his website and it is just classic of the usual PTB disinfo tactics of watering down important information with BS, plugging the channel 4 psychopath night. Not expecting much from the TV programs, but it's very interesting how we are seeing them engaging in damage control in real time over the "P" word.

Channel 4 aren't about to "spill the beans" where such an important topic can hurt those in power. This isn't the same channel that had millions on the back of its edgy & investigative reporting from it's beginnings in the early eighties. Anyway, that test devised by their resident professor on famous people is ridiculous, as expected. Kevin "the wisdom of psychopaths" Dutton.

Carlisle said:

"These tests were devised by Professor Kevin Dutton, University of Oxford. He is a best selling author and an expert on the psychopathic personality. To visit his website go to: _www.kevindutton.co.uk(This link opens in a new window). Follow him on Twitter: @profkevindutton"

I had a look at his website and it is just classic of the usual PTB disinfo tactics of watering down important information with BS, plugging the channel 4 psychopath night. Not expecting much from the TV programs, but it's very interesting how we are seeing them engaging in damage control in real time over the "P" word.

This Dutton was the first person that came to mind when I heard about this radio show. Imo he whitewashes psychopaths and suggests that some psychopathic traits are not bad and worth having. And he suggests in a way that psychopaths can decide themself to be less psychopathic and he even wrote that Kennedy was a psychopath without further referring to Bush for example. And damage control it is, unfortunately. Here is a screenshot from his website:

Selection_043.png

_http://www.kevindutton.co.uk/psychopathy-presidents.html

The "game" Spot the Psychopath by Dutton, promoted on channel4 website shows that (SPOILER ALERT!):

----
Charles Dickens scores higher than Hitler, Oscar Wilde higher than Churchill, and Isaac Newton higher that Margaret Thatcher on the Dutton's psychopath scale.

:jawdrop:

Possibility of Being said:
The "game" Spot the Psychopath by Dutton, promoted on channel4 website shows that (SPOILER ALERT!):

----
Charles Dickens scores higher than Hitler, Oscar Wilde higher than Churchill, and Isaac Newton higher that Margaret Thatcher on the Dutton's psychopath scale.

double-facepalm.jpg

Approaching Infinity said:
Possibility of Being said:

----

Re: Psychopath Night - Channel 4 TV (UK)

I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with them telly people :knitting:

I think psychos couldn't find a better apologizer for themselves and, yep, a fan and admirer. Here's his photo-shoot on Dexter's set.
_http://darklydexter.com/gallery/michael-c-hall-and-kevin-dutton-at-rubin-museum-of-art/

Carlisle said:

I'm currently reading "The Wisdom of Psychopaths" and I wouldn't consider Dutton an "expert" as his entire compilation of material is based on Hare and numerous other "experts" in the field of psychopathy. Dutton does not water down the true core factors or mechanisms of psychopaths. He uses the data to investigate the similarities of psychopathic behavior to the average person. He looks at and analyzes psychopathology from a different "not new" perspective. He delves into research and study after study by experts in the field in an attempt to find the differences of how the brain, and behavior of psychopaths differ from the average non-psychopathic person. Within doing so, the similarities are intrinsic to the discussion. Does he place psychopathic behavior on a "scale" so to speak? Yes and rightfully so.

Is Dutton making an extra buck on these Tv shows? Probably. Does main stream media prefer Duttons' view on psychopathy? Probably. After-all he's not an expert and his work can be construed as blurring the line between psychopaths and non-psychopaths, and he can easily be debunked by the real experts who know he is not an expert. That's just the type of person to fill the bill for the PTB with the objective to confuse the issue.

I think Duttons attempt to delve deeper into the unpopular perspective on psychopaths makes for valuable reading and analysis. I like to get a different perspectives on things. I'm cautious about debunking an author without having first hand experience with the material. I do not agree with Martha Stouts review of Duttons book. She had an underlying agenda which was obvious.

Dutton doesn't claim to be an "expert". He's a researcher, and writes in the context of researching his field of interest, and that's what makes his book interesting. I didn't read his book Split-Second Persuasion, but I would recommend "Wisdom of Psychopaths", especially before debunking his work or coming to quick conclusions about his objectives.

Keit, I do not think Dutton is an "apologizer". Nor is he trying to "normalize" psychopaths. These assumptions are way over the top.

Dutton is not the poster boy for "normalizing" psychopathy. How can psychopathy be normalized? It is what it is. Can schizophrenia be normalized?

Jasmine said:
Keit, I do not think Dutton is an "apologizer". Nor is he trying to "normalize" psychopaths. These assumptions are way over the top.

Dutton is not the poster boy for "normalizing" psychopathy. How can psychopathy be normalized? It is what it is. Can schizophrenia be normalized?

I am afraid your missing the bigger picture here.

Here is a short excerpt from an interview with K.Dutton.

You noted in the book that you’re not a psychopath yourself. Despite my profession, I scored pretty low on your survey as well. Can “normals” like you and me learn to develop these psychopathic traits, even if we don’t have them naturally?

Absolutely. Normal people can work out their psychopath muscles. It’s kind of like going to the gym in a way, to develop these attributes. It’s just like training.

Psychopaths don’t think, should I do this or shouldn’t I do this? They just go ahead and do stuff. So next time you find yourself putting off that chore or filing that report or something, unchain your inner psychopath and ask yourself this: “Since when did I need to feel like something in order to do it?”

Another way you can take a leaf out of a psychopath’s book: Psychopaths are very reward-driven. If they see a benefit in something, they zone in on it and they go for it 100 percent. Let’s take an example of someone who is kind of scared of putting in for a raise at work. You might be scared about what the boss might think of you. You might think if you’d don’t get it you’re going to get fired. Forget it. Cut all that stuff off. “Psychopath up,” and overwhelm your negative feelings by concentrating on the benefits of getting it. The bottom line here is, a bit of localized psychopathy is good for all of us.

So...according to Dutton, let's re-brand psychopathy as a cool new state of mind that we all should take example on because despite their lack of conscience they're kinda cool (even the serial killers) but let's all forget what kind of damage they can do on society as a whole.
If we would all be a bit more psychopathic, life would be peachy, no restrain, no empathy, just urges that have be met no matter the cost or consequences. Tune in Tune out to the psychopathic evolution.

That's normalizing psychopathy to me & glaringly misleading.

I agree with the critical part about Dutton that was stated in this topic. And some interviews I read myself about him, I came to the same conclusion that he is normalizing psychopathy.

Jasmine said:
I think Duttons attempt to delve deeper into the unpopular perspective on psychopaths makes for valuable reading and analysis. I like to get a different perspectives on things. I'm cautious about debunking an author without having first hand experience with the material. I do not agree with Martha Stouts review of Duttons book. She had an underlying agenda which was obvious.

What do you think her underlying agenda was?

I find Dutton to be a very twisted character. Not only is he suggesting that being around psychopaths can be good and that psychopathy has social benefits, he also seems to be ''promoting'' it as if can be cool/positive to develop some psychopathic traits. That's the impression I had when I checked his home page. He even seems to be finding this fun and amusing.

No matter how much he might know about psychopathy, objectively speaking, (although Martha Stout seems to think he misses some important points) I still find the message to be very clear and quite disturbing as we can also see from Tigersoap's reply.

Some quotes from his website:

''Ruthlessly cool and focused under pressure? Why not try your hand at neurosurgery?''

''Low on empathy? How about a career in the law?''

''Can you remain focused and detached while knife-fighting the Taliban in deep, dark cave complexes in the mountains of northern Afghanistan? Try Special Forces.''

One quote from Oliver James who read the book:

"Gobsmackingly revealing. The Wisdom of Psychopaths is definitive proof that it can be good to be bad."

And one from Jesse Bering:

''If you've been keeping your inner psychopath locked up in the maximum-security unit of your mind, Kevin Dutton explains why giving him some fresh air from time to time may actually do you - and more importantly, the rest of us - a world of good. Just give him this book to read and make sure he's a literate, functional psychopath.''

Creepy stuff I tell ya'...

Back
Top Bottom