Question: Any tips to avoid scar on deep cut injury?

Divide by Zero

The Living Force
Today at work a somewhat heavy object swung open and hit me on the top of my lip right under the nose, leaving a gash 1 cm long and kind of deep. Went to the hospital and got 3 sutures after waiting 4 hours (our great system in the USA!). I will be setting an appointment tomorrow to visit a plastic surgeon under the advice of a co worker that had a similar injury.

So I wanted to know if anyone had any advice in reducing the scar. I have scars on my arms from working on things, but when it comes to the face I would like to minimize scarring. So far I've heard about Vitamin E topically (from capsules) and CoQ10. Is there anything else to do or take?

Thanks

I'd recommend to clean and dress the wound frequently. Use collodial silver if you can to keep out any infection and inflammation. Aloe plant has some good healing qualities, and then there's good old neosporin too.

While I have not personally used this remedy, the Edgar Cayce material advises using camphorated olive oil, daily, to reduce the appearance of scars. Cayce also stated that it could take a considerable amount of time, but that consistency would pay off. And over time, a scar would disappear.

Because camphor is a controlled substance, I was never able to make my own, but I did find a Canadian company who offers many of the Cayce remedies, including the ScarBan oil.

Here's the link: http://www.baar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=001&Product_Code=2760&Product_Count=&Category_Code=

Of course, you would not want to use this until the wound was completely healed. But it may be worth a shot. The customer reviews on the product are positive.

I wish you a speedy recovery. :flowers:

Thanks for the info.

I can't do Neosporin, as I seem to be allergic to it. I have noticed on past cuts that it caused them to redden and swell up.

I wonder, is Aloe ok to put on the wound before it heals?

I'm sorry to hear about this, I wish you a speedy and nice recovery.

DMSO may be also useful. It has been used successfully in keloid scars, which I don't think you'll have (it is an abnormal scar growth), but it is anyway useful to flatten scars.

Don't let your scar exposed under the sun while it is healing as well.

Here are a few things about DMSO and scars:

http://www.bevanpotter.com/DMSO_bp.html

DMSO (applied topically) helps to dissolve the (Skin) tissues involved in Scarring: research
- Human studies indicate that a concentration of 50% - 80% DMSO applied topically three times per day flattens raised external Scars after several months - microscopic examination of the Skin usually reveal loosening of Collagen bundles.

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/keloid_scar.html

For me I have some black spots on my arm and I removed by applying a 50% water and 50% DMSO solution applied daily over a month. While the application over such brief period I that I did only remove about 80% of the spots, it was significantly smaller than usual. As a result, I was happy with it and didn't bother to continue. The DMSO goes right through the skin and slowly removes the old keloids. I learned that it can do this by observing injured animals with scar used DMSO solution also, but probably of a higher concentration.

What a bummer. Must have been a real shock to get such a smack in the face.

I think pure, natural vitamin E oil (not the synthetic stuff) is great for the initial stages of healing. Also, if you want the natural version of Neosporin (no petroleum) there are a couple of Comfrey Salves on the Market. Wise Ways All Heal Salve and Herb Pharm makes one called Herbal Ed's Salve. Once it has healed enough that it is no longer a wound and the stitches are out, I would start using pure Rosa Mosqueta Rose Hip Seed Oil. It is high in a lipid form of vitamin C (plus lenoleic and lenolenic oils) that helps to reform the collagen between the tissues. (Better known for its use as an anti-wrinkle serum, but that involves collagen too! This stuff is brilliant for scars!)

The only pure oil I have found is by Aubrey, and it comes with a little roller ball on the top. When you apply it, it is good to press it gently into the skin. As soon as it is absorbed, you can apply it again. The more often you use it, the quicker the scar will disappear. Do NOT put it on and go in the sun (much as Psyche mentioned) as it will cause discoloration. (This stuff works on scars up to 20 years old, though the older the scar, the longer it takes to heal it. It does pretty fast work on very recent injuries)

You can use Rosa Mosqueta and vitamin E concurrently, but keep in mind that the Rosa Mosqueta has a much smaller molecule that absorbs more quickly than vitamin E, and it should be applied prior to the E.

http://www.wiseways.com/sal.shtml

http://herb-pharm.com/catalog/herbaledssalve-p-277.html?allowpurchase=no

http://www.aubrey-organics.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=090A

When my sister had a cesarean section, I had her use the Wise Ways All Heal Salve and then the Rosa Mosqueta. No scar AT ALL.

Hope this helps. Happy healing :)

DMSO is definitely the way to go. When Atriedes had his surgery last October and was left with a huge, gaping wound that was supposed to be allowed to close naturally, Psyche dressed it every day after applying DMSO. She can give the details. It closed super fast and had many other beneficial effects on the healing process.

I've been so impressed with the uses of DMSO on a variety of things that I finally bought a book about it: DMSO by Dr. Morton Walker. Have just started reading it (along with books about giants... too bad I can't read one book with each eye), and I recommend that all of you have DMSO on hand in your house for all kinds of health/medical situations.

Laura said:
DMSO is definitely the way to go. When Atriedes had his surgery last October and was left with a huge, gaping wound that was supposed to be allowed to close naturally, Psyche dressed it every day after applying DMSO. She can give the details. It closed super fast and had many other beneficial effects on the healing process.

Yeah, Atreides wound was a huge hole that I dressed with special algae tissues that promote the growth of tissue, so as to fill the gap. I soaked this algae tissue in colloidal silver and DMSO. DMSO is one of our favorites in stock medical aiders, we have both the liquid and cream form. We used extra DMSO to relieve the inflammatory reaction in the wound and surrounding tissues and to relieve the pain. The wound healed incredibly fast. :)

I have a friend who has been using DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) for arthritic inflammation, if I remember correctly. She told me about it many years ago. With all the controversy surrounding it, I never tried it for anything. I'm still on the fence, but will definitely have a closer look at Dr. Morton Walker's book.

This also gives me a reason to phone up my old friend and find out her experiences with DMSO.

After the wound has healed some, you might try an enzyme blend that contains serrapeptase. I took several blends over a long period (and still do occaisionally) to digest transfats, undigested food, and work fibrin/inflammation throughout the blood, tissues and arteries. It worked great for this (lower inflammation, BP, etc) but a side benefit I noticed was a significant reduction in all of my scars (some I can't find anymore). Other I know have noted the same. The blend I think is good is:

Serapeptase
Bromelain
Papain

This might be something to consider over the longer haul after initial healing.

Yes, the serrapeptase is good stuff to add to the mix.

I have Danzen tablets that I purchased OTC in Jordan (quite inexpensive there - 20 tabs, 5mg, 10,000 units of serratiopeptidase for $3.50). I bruise easily, and I use it to help dissolve clots when I get a nasty one.

I've never researched on other uses. Would it be helpful for my mother, who just had a knee replacement last week?

LissyLou said:
I've never researched on other uses. Would it be helpful for my mother, who just had a knee replacement last week?

It can be helpful, it is definitely good stuff. There is more information in this thread: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=1453.msg98446#msg98446 (and in the next follow-up posts).

It's healing well, been putting DMSO on a gauze underneath the bandage after rinsing it off with some peroxide.

I elected not to take the anti-biotics right now. It's got a bit of swelling, took some ibuprofen for that.

Also, at the hospital, I told them that I 'guessed' I had the tetanus immunization 3 years ago. On my phone online while waiting in the ER I read that the tetanus shot is not really effective anyway. Wound cleaning was what changed infection rates since the 1940's. Also, of the cases of tetanus, there are a good percentage who got the shot and were up to date!

LissyLou said:
I have Danzen tablets that I purchased OTC in Jordan (quite inexpensive there - 20 tabs, 5mg, 10,000 units of serratiopeptidase for $3.50). I bruise easily, and I use it to help dissolve clots when I get a nasty one.

I have given it to folks and friends who have had infections, swelling from surgery, and cuts. All have thanked me for perceived improvement. I gave large amounts of it to my mother after hip surgery. The amounts have always been up near 100,000 units several times a day on an empty stomach. The stomach must be empty, otherwise it will digest your food. Dissolving blood clots may be better suited to Nattokinase. I have taken this as well and noticed more blood thinning activity - you don't need as much. FWIW

Edit: I read somewhere that there is evidence that bromelain and serrapeptase work in compliment for more benefit.

Back
Top Bottom