Quotes

11 Rules that you don't learn in school.
From the book "Dumbing Down our Kids" by Charles Sykes

This is mistakenly attributed to Bill Gates, as a speech he supposedly gave at Mt. Whitney High School in Visalia, California.

It is actually from the book "Dumbing Down our Kids" by Charles J. Sykes, 1995, and is directed at high school and college graduates.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rule 1:
Life is not fair - get used to it

Rule 2:
The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself

Rule 3:
You will NOT make $40,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both

Rule 4:
If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss

Rule 5:
Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping - they called it opportunity

Rule 6:
If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them

Rule 7:
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parents' generation, try delousing the closet in your own room

Rule 8:
Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life has not. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life

Rule 9:
Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time!

Rule 10:
Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs

Rule 11:
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one

Ten Rules for Being Human

by Cherie Carter-Scott

1. You will receive a body. You may like it or hate it, but it's yours to keep for the entire period.

2. You will learn lessons. You are enrolled in a full-time informal school called, "life."

3. There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trial, error, and experimentation. The "failed" experiments are as much a part of the process as the experiments that ultimately "work."

4. Lessons are repeated until they are learned. A lesson will be presented to you in various forms until you have learned it. When you have learned it, you can go on to the next lesson.

5. Learning lessons does not end. There's no part of life that doesn't contain its lessons. If you're alive, that means there are still lessons to be learned.

6. "There" is no better a place than "here." When your "there" has become a "here", you will simply obtain another "there" that will again look better than "here."

7. Other people are merely mirrors of you. You cannot love or hate something about another person unless it reflects to you something you love or hate about yourself.

8. What you make of your life is up to you. You have all the tools and resources you need. What you do with them is up to you. The choice is yours.

9. Your answers lie within you. The answers to life's questions lie within you. All you need to do is look, listen, and trust.

10. You will forget all this.

Re: How to insert quotes

"A heart well prepared for adversity in bad times hopes, and in good times fears for a change in fortune". Horace

Buddha:

He who experiences the unity of life sees his own Self in all beings, and all beings in his own Self, and looks on everything with an impartial eye.

"Belive me when I say we have a difficult time a head us. But if we are to be prepared for it , we must first shed our fear of it . I stand here before now, truthfully unafraid. Why? Because I believe something you do not. No, I stand here without fear because I remember. I remember that Iam here not because of the path that lies before me, but because of the path that lies behind me" "Morpheus"- Matrix Reloaded

Whilst doing some filing I came across this quote by Eileen Caddy:

Guidance for today from opening Doors within
Todays date is: 21st January

Start the day by giving thanks. Realise that you are mightily blessed and that My blessings are being poured down upon you all the time. It does not matter how ungrateful you were yesterday; what matters is what your attitude is now. Leave the past behind. Do not waste time concentrating on your past mistakes; simply learn from them and then move on and enjoy life, giving constant thanks for everything. When you are grateful and you appreciate all the good things in life, love flows freely in and through you. It is when you fail to give thanks and to appreciate all My good and perfect gifts that you grow dry and brittle. You become self-concerned and cease to care for your fellow human beings. The quickest way to change this wrong attitude is to start thinking for others and to start living and giving to the whole. You will find the self and self-concern will melt into the background and become as nothing. Why not do it now?

On Death - by John Keats

Can death be sleep when life is but a dream,
and scenes of bliss pass as a phantom by?
The transient pleasures as a vision seem,
and yet we think the greatest pain's to die.

How strange it is that man on earth should roam
and lead a life of woe, but not forsake his rugged path;
nor dare to view alone his future doom,
which is but to awake.

Gotta keep humor...

Wisdom of Larry the Cable Guy

1. A day without sunshine is like night.
2. On the other hand, you have different fingers.
3. 42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.
4. 99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
5. Remember, half the people you know are below average.
6. He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
7. Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.
8. The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.
9. Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.
10. A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
11. Change is inevitable, except from vending machines.
12. If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments..
13. OK, so what's the speed of dark?
14. When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
15. Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
16. How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges?
17. Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
18. What happens if you get scared half to death, twice?
19. Why do psychics have to ask you your name?

Some interesting quotes from a part of the Wave:

LKJ said:
Most asking takes place in action, no words!

LKJ said:
As you grow closer to Love as God the creator expresses it, you grow closer to God. And God loves everything exactly as it is. That is WHY it IS!

LKJ said:
And by acting based on the subtle clues in his environment, including his own body, his ability to SEE grows as well. And when his ability to see increases, he is better able to make choices based on seeing the unseen which act in a beneficial way for the entire STO polarity. The more the Shaman exercises Free Will and ensures the Freedom of Will of others, the more available the energy of Free Will becomes to the entire planet. And this has a huge implication: the more Free Will is available, the more the STS domination will NATURALLY DECREASE! The fewer people who are "available" for feeding, the less the STS orientation can grow!

All of it is interesting though. I love reading it..
Many of these things are recognizable in one's life, I think. I wish I was as strong as Laura:

LKJ said:
As I said, after the "initiation" that I passed through in my "descent" into Hell, the world changed for me in profound ways. The profundity of the change was at a level I could not fully fathom in my consciousness, but it bore fruit almost immediately. My view of all my relationships, all my actions and interactions with the world changed in incalculable ways. I could literally "see the unseen" dynamics of every exchange between myself and other people in all situations. And by seeing, I was able to choose that reaction that was truly expressive of Unconditional Love, of Truth, of ultimate Beauty in Cosmic terms. I no longer saw with my human eyes nor was I ruled by my human emotions. This does NOT mean that I did not feel them! But I had already made a choice of the greatest magnitude in terms of putting aside all human egoic need for comfort and illusion, and I was simply not able to ever view anything the same way again.

Unfortunately I do sometimes make mistakes by viewing situations by my human eyes and being ruled by my human emotions and making decisions based on those.
Funny that this part was especially about 'seeing the unseen' ..when I'm suffering now from PinkEye.
Still learning and hopefully growing as I go.

Al Today said:
Gotta keep humor...

Oh yes. From 'Father Ted':

BISHOP FACKS: So, Father. Do you ever have any doubts about the religious life? Is your faith ever tested? Anything you would be worried about? Any doubts you've been having about any aspects of belief? Anything like that?
FATHER DOUGAL: Well, you know the way God made us all, right? And he's looking down at us from heaven and everything?
BISHOP FACKS: Uh-huh.
FATHER DOUGAL: And then his son came down and saved everyone and all that?
BISHOP FACKS: Yes.
FATHER DOUGAL: And when we die we're all going to go to heaven?
BISHOP FACKS: Yes. What about it?
FATHER DOUGAL: Well, that's the bit I have trouble with.

----

FATHER DOUGAL: So, if God has existed forever, you know, what did He do in his spare time like before he made the earth and everything, you know?
BISHOP O’NEILL: Well... we all have doubts.
FATHER DOUGAL: And what about when you weren't allowed eat meat on Fridays? How come that's all right now but it wasn't back then? I mean, did the people who ate meat on Fridays back then, did they all go to hell or what? I mean it's mad!

----

FATHER DOUGAL: It's great to take a day off every now and again. It shouldn't be just work, work, work now, should it?
FATHER TED: Yes, it's not as if everyone's gonna go and join some mad religious cult just because we go off for a picnic for a few hours.
FATHER DOUGAL: God, Ted, I heard about those cults. Everybody dressing in black and saying our Lord is going to come back and judge us all.
FATHER TED: No, no, Dougal that's us. That's Catholicism you're talking about there.
FATHER DOUGAL: Oh right, right.

----

FATHER DOUGAL: That's almost as mad as that thing you told me about the loaves and the fishes.
FATHER TED: No, Dougal, that's not mad. That's when our Lord got just one or two bits of food and turned it into a whole pile of food and everyone had it for dinner.
FATHER DOUGAL: God, He was fantastic, wasn't He?
FATHER TED: Ah, He was brilliant.

----

FATHER DOUGAL: She seems to be taking the whole Catholic thing a bit seriously, Ted.
FATHER TED: Yes, Dougal.
FATHER DOUGAL: I mean, it's just a bit of a laugh.
FATHER TED: Stop talking, Dougal.

“Follow your heart, but be quiet for a while first. Ask questions, then feel the answer. Learn to trust your heart.”

"The heart has reasons that reason does not understand".
Jacques Benigne Bossels

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those.”
Michael Nolan

“Wherever you go, go with all your heart"
Confucius

“Don't be reckless with other people's hearts, don't put up with those who are reckless with yours.”

“You change your life by changing your heart.”

“In prayer it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart"
Mahatma Gandhi

"Tears are the safety valve of the heart when too much pressure is laid on it.”
Albert Smith

There can be no liberty for a community which lacks the means by which to detect lies. - Walter Lippmann

Take a look at yourself, therefore, and see how bound you are by your desire to humour yourself and only yourself. Your freedom is curbed by the restraining bonds of self-love, and thus you wander, a captive corpse, from morning till eve. "Now I will drink," "now I will get up," "now I will read the paper." Thus you are led from moment to moment in your halter of preoccupation with self, and kindled instantly to displeasure, impatience or anger if an obstacle intervenes. . .
Thus it does not pay to come to grips with the hard-to-master great vices and bad habits you have acquired without at the same time overcoming your small "innocent" weaknesses: your taste for sweets, your urge to talk, your curiosity, your meddling. For, finally, all our desires, great and small, are built on the same foundation, our unchecked habit of satisfying only our own will.
-Tito Colliander

Arise, then; but do so at once, without delay. Do not defer your purpose till "tonight" or "tomorrow" or "later, when I have finished what I have to do just now." The interval may be fatal.
No, this moment, the instant you make your resolution, you will show by your action that you have taken leave of your old self and have now begun a new life, with a new destination and a new way of living. Arise, therefore, without fear. Hold fast to your purpose and do not look back. . . .

Back
Top Bottom