Quotes

Michel de Montaigne said:
To condemn a thing thus, dogmatically, as false and impossible. is to assume the distinction of knowing the bounds and limits of God's will and of the power of our mother Nature....It is dangerous and presumptuous, besides the absurd temerity that it implies, to disdain what we do not comprehend.

Cherokee Native American :
An elder Cherokee Native American was teaching his grandchildren about life. He said to them, “A fight is going on inside me...It is a terrible fight, and it is between two wolves. One wolf represents fear, anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, pride and superiority. The other wolf stands for joy, peace, love, hope, sharing, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, friendship, empathy, generousity, truth, compassion and faith. This same fight is going on inside of you and every other person too.”
They thought about it for a minute and then one child asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”
The old Cherokee simply replied..“The one I feed.”

Conquered states that have been accustomed to liberty and the government of their own laws can be held by the conqueror in three different ways. The first is to ruin them; the second, for the conqueror to go and reside there in person; and the third is to allow them to continue to live under their own laws, subject to a regular tribute, and to create in them a government of a few, who will keep the country friendly to the conqueror: Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it: Mohandas Gandhi

In the democracy of the dead all men at last are equal. There is neither rank nor station nor prerogative in the republic of the grave: John James Ingalls

andi said:
Cherokee Native American :
An elder Cherokee Native American was teaching his grandchildren about life. He said to them, “A fight is going on inside me...It is a terrible fight, and it is between two wolves. One wolf represents fear, anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, pride and superiority. The other wolf stands for joy, peace, love, hope, sharing, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, friendship, empathy, generousity, truth, compassion and faith. This same fight is going on inside of you and every other person too.”
They thought about it for a minute and then one child asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”
The old Cherokee simply replied..“The one I feed.”

Thank you for this one, Andi.

No matter how many times I see this one, it always astounds me in its clarity of meaning. As simplistic as it may sound, it embodies much truth (mentioned in many works).

It may be where I got the notion that there is no such thing as negative energy or positive energy, but simply that there is energy to be applied, i.e. no "transmutation" necessary; only a conscious choice of which "circuits" will get what little energy we may have.

Furthermore, somehow sensing that we are leaking energy "somewhere" might be a clue that it is being unconsciously mis-used by us.

This parable is about directing energy, yes, but it is more about being conscious about ALL of our energy, and how some of it is being spent without us knowing it.

What are we feeding unknowingly?

Thanks again.

Apologies for the distraction.

Vonnegut said:
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.

Lady Astor to Winston Churchill: "Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

Winston Churchill: "Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

A handful from Nikola Tesla

Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.

The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.

If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

- Douglas Adams

So preserve yourselves, my brothers, from the calamities of this place, for distinguishing it is extremely difficult! Souls find it sweet, and then within it they are duped, since they become completely enamored of it.

-Sufi proverb

Just came accross these two quotes which interested me today:
This come from an article posted by Laura in another thread.
"History is filled with examples of great crimes perpetrated by those who were certain their thoughts were correct.
In fact, it is hard to imagine people doing some of the horrible things they have done if they had doubted their
thinking."
- Steve Gillman

And this one in french:
"De toutes les écoles de patience et de lucidité, la création est la plus efficace."-Albert Camus which can be traduced:
"Of all patience and lucidity schools, creation is the most effective"

Reminded about this quote by this posting.

[quote author=Douglas Adams]
There is a theory which states that if anybody ever discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
[/quote]

"Shamanism is the ability to transcend anxiety by recognizing the transience of all forms." - Terence McKenna, Crisis in Consciousness

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Hatred is something peculiar. You will always find it strongest and most violent where there is the lowest degree of culture." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Daring ideas are like chessmen moved forward; they may be beaten, but they may start a winning game." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

-Every one rushes elsewhere and into the future, because no one wants to face one's own inner self. Michel de Montaigne.

-Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem.
Joseph Stalin

-It is not death or pain that is to be dreaded, but the fear of pain or death.
Epictetus

Back
Top Bottom