Quotes

The Spoon said:
[quote author=mother teresa]
These are a few of the ways we can practice humility: speak as little as possible of oneself. mind one's own business. avoid curiosity. do not want to manage other people's affairs. accept contradiction and correction cheerfully. pass over mistakes of others. accept blame when innocent. yield to the will of others. accept insults and injuries. accept being slighted, forgotten, and disliked. be kind and gentle even under provocation. do not seek to be specially loved and admired. never stand on one's dignity. yield in discussion even though one is right. choose always the hardest.

[/quote]

I'm not digging alot of this quote

chachazoom said:
The Spoon said:
[quote author=mother teresa]
These are a few of the ways we can practice humility: speak as little as possible of oneself. mind one's own business. avoid curiosity. do not want to manage other people's affairs. accept contradiction and correction cheerfully. pass over mistakes of others. accept blame when innocent. yield to the will of others. accept insults and injuries. accept being slighted, forgotten, and disliked. be kind and gentle even under provocation. do not seek to be specially loved and admired. never stand on one's dignity. yield in discussion even though one is right. choose always the hardest.

I'm not digging alot of this quote
[/quote]

I agree. As stated, without an exposition, this quote raises questions.

It is very easy to forgive others their mistakes. It takes more gut and gumption to forgive them for having witnessed your own.

- Jessamyn West

Sorry to post two in a row - but I just LOVE quotes! :D

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much."

Mother Teresa (1910 - 1997)

Something to keep in mind regarding internal considering:

"If someone was committing your body to any person who meets you, you would be vexed. But that you commit your own mind to anyone who chances upon you, so that, if he abuses you, it is agitated and disturbed, are you not ashamed of that?" - Epictetus

It seems to a apply a lot more generally than to petty tyrants - giving some perspective on what you "do" (happens with you) when your personality is offended by anything. In the absence of an abusive person, many are the times I've committed by mind to an abusive fantasy. Funny how self-destructive self-importance is.

EDIT: Of course, it should be understood that the "I" that does it is the predator's mind - though the real self plays a part in being hypnotized and giving part of itself up to be eaten...

Andromeda said:
It is very easy to forgive others their mistakes. It takes more gut and gumption to forgive them for having witnessed your own.

- Jessamyn West

oh this is very true..
the thief does not want to be seen.

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true.

I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question.

You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there.

Yogi Berra

Because one doesn't like the way things are is no reason to be unjust towards God.

Victor Hugo

Leave for a moment what you should do, and discover what you actually do
Fritz Perls

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.

(The Little Prince) Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Two quotes from Einstein:

The world is a dangerous place. Not because of people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. -Einstein-
Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted. -- Albert Einstein

We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are. Anaïs Nin

:)

"There cannot be proper outward considering while a man is seated in his chief feature," said G.
(Ouspensky - In Search of the Miraculous p274)

In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.
- Autobiography of Mark Twain

The government of my country snubs honest simplicity, but fondles artistic villainy, and I think I might have developed into a very capable pickpocket if I had remained in the public service a year or two.
Twain, from: - Roughing It

Even if the entire legal structure (government)
collapsed and disappeared overnight,
good people would still do what good people do, and
bad people will still do what bad people do.

Mark Twain (paraphrased)

...and then, someone modified it as...

"With or without religion, good people would still do good things, and evil people would still do evil things.
But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." (Prof. Steven Weinberg)

_http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080424091508AAk2HIQ
_http://www.twainquotes.com/Government.html

Some of Twain's most hilarious comments (to me, at least) come from his exasperation trying to learn the German language.
See here: _http://www.twainquotes.com/German.html

Note: I happen to like the German language as well as some aspects of German culture. My real mom and all her family were German immigrants from WWII, so I have a natural affinity, still, some of Twain's comments could provoke emotional reactions for the unwary, as he can be quite caustic.

Back
Top Bottom