Recommended Reiki Master?

Hi Guys. I'm in Central Florida (and hey, this is my first post!) and I have done some research into being attuned to the reiki symbols as well. What I have found, through the various new age cataloges, is that yes, a lot of the people that are advertising themselves as reiki masters are doing these crazy big seminars and charging boatloads of money for them. It's been a while since I've really looked, and I thought I found one woman, but the pre-attunement body cleansing involved not smoking or drinking coffee for three days, and I'll tell you, I'm addicted to nicotine. So, I couldn't just go to this woman and be a student and at the same time not follow her words by smoking... So I guess that's a couple messages in one statement- that I too have found like these big business people doing mega-attunements... interesting to hear the advice from Laura about the lineages, also interesting to hear that she is a master! I must also add, not because I want to be a sheeple and follow the herd (tho a different herd) but I did want to check to see what the SOTT folks said about reiki, because between the not smoking, the paying for an attunement, and the idea that symbols would resonate the ki energy... I keep an open mind, and I am attracted to reiki because when I think about it, it makes sense to me. And I can feel it, you know? But I wanted to hear what you guys all said about it too.

So what do you think about the coffee and cigarette issue?

Well, had my first Reiki 'treatment' last week. It went well, i guess. i could feel the heat coming through the healer's hands as i lay there trying to relax, but not fall asleep. I nodded off towards the end of the session and awoke somewhat astonished that an hour had flown by! Any notions i had beforehand that this session would send me home floating were laid to rest, as i felt quite sullen emotionally and the healer recounted to me that she was drawn to laying her hands over my 'throat chakra' more than once, apparently signifying communication issues. Pretty accurate on many levels; for one thing, I had speech therapy for a stammer aged 12, 13.

From a randomly selected website:

Throat chakra (associated color: sky blue; related parts of the body: thyroid gland, throat and jaw areas, lungs, vocal cords, digestive tract)

The throat chakra governs communication and mental creativity. When this chakra is at its best, we speak and listen in the spirit of truth and constructively express anger and other emotions. Energizing this chakra can improve our psychic hearing ability called clairaudience. Naturally, communication suffers when this chakra is blocked. We may overindulge in eating and drinking to keep a non-communicative throat busy and suffer from respiratory diseases, dental disorders, and low self-esteem. Feelings of anger, hostility and resentment also are associated with the imbalance of this chakra.

I am undergoing attunment in a couple of days - will post back about that. Am looking forward to it! But vigilant at the same time.

Janeille, welcome to SOTT.net! I think 'health practitioners' and 'healers', in their ignorance, assume nicotine and caffeine work against 'working towards the higher-truer-self', so to speak. But the scientific evidence suggests that neither has universally observable detrimental effects - it depends on many other factors: blood type, diet, environmental factors, genetics, whether either can be good or bad for the individual concerned.

Laura once asked the C's what increased a person's Reiki potential: they said "lofty spiritual attainment" or something to that effect. Come to think about it, when you consider that Laura's a smoker and Gurdjieff loved his coffee, maybe the disdain increasingly meted by society to cigs and coffee are a good sign i'm doin something right :)

**rolls American Spirit Organic Tobacco ciggie**

starsailor said:
rom a randomly selected website:

Throat chakra (associated color: sky blue; related parts of the body: thyroid gland, throat and jaw areas, lungs, vocal cords, digestive tract)

The throat chakra governs communication and mental creativity. When this chakra is at its best, we speak and listen in the spirit of truth and constructively express anger and other emotions. Energizing this chakra can improve our psychic hearing ability called clairaudience. Naturally, communication suffers when this chakra is blocked. We may overindulge in eating and drinking to keep a non-communicative throat busy and suffer from respiratory diseases, dental disorders, and low self-esteem. Feelings of anger, hostility and resentment also are associated with the imbalance of this chakra.
Hi starsailor - do you 'believe' what you've posted here? Why would you post information from a 'randomly selected website'? From your other posts, it appears you are now reading the Wave series? If so, you might find out that the general understanding of 'chakras' - what they are, where they are, how many there are, what they do, is quite subjective and likely wholly incorrect.

As far as not smoking or not drinking coffee - I can certainly think of no reason for such restrictions - however, I am not an expert. The only thing I can say for certain is that there are a LOT of people out there making a LOT of money off of reiki while using a corrupted lineage of symbols and understanding. They may not be doing it consciously, but they are doing it nonetheless.

It IS a jungle out there.

No i don't "believe in chakras". Does my post give that impression? Yuk. It was careless of me referring to 'a randomly selected website'.

Chakras are a nice idea, and for now, remain as that, a nice idea.

I agree completely that it's a jungle out there. What should have been conveyed, but little i was probably too lazy to explain, was that there are umpteen thousand websites and other media devoted to such things as chakras - "what they are" and "how they work" and so on. For all the glittering array of new age mind-goodies on display, a cursory scan through links i scroogled under "chakras" revealed a bland 'same-ness' in what most sites have to say about them. Descriptions of them are presented as if they are such a given - like, duh! When in actual fact, nobody has a clue. Well, maybe the odd clue here and there. But those clues are not followed. We stop short of investigation by choosing instead to 'believe in' something new and exciting.

i'm lucky that the Wave was my first introduction to "Reiki" - Laura's story about her introduction to Reiki both inspired me to seek this seemingly objective healing ability [that is, an exchange of 'something' from hands to body with little more than the intent to do so, independent of whether one believes this 'something' to be possible] and at the same time forewarned me from the get-go that there are many things to become aware of first before leaping without looking.

Recently i dipped my toe in the water by undergoing a 'healing session' (laying on of hands). Tomorrow i'm getting wet up to my knees by attending a Reiki workshop. i'll see how it goes from there.

anart said:
starsailor said:
rom a randomly selected website:

Hi starsailor - do you 'believe' what you've posted here? Why would you post information from a 'randomly selected website'? From your other posts, it appears you are now reading the Wave series? If so, you might find out that the general understanding of 'chakras' - what they are, where they are, how many there are, what they do, is quite subjective and likely wholly incorrect.

As far as not smoking or not drinking coffee - I can certainly think of no reason for such restrictions - however, I am not an expert. The only thing I can say for certain is that there are a LOT of people out there making a LOT of money off of reiki while using a corrupted lineage of symbols and understanding. They may not be doing it consciously, but they are doing it nonetheless.

It IS a jungle out there.
I agree. Janeille should not be worried about not smoking and drinking coffee. She should just make sure she has found the best teacher available to her. Someone who uses the proper symbols etc. Maybe the woman placing these restrictions on her isn't the right teacher for her.

Also, does anyone know of/have any experience with any other energy healing systems? Are there any others besides Usui Reiki that are worth pursuing?

Also, does anyone know of/have any experience with any other energy healing systems? Are there any others besides Usui Reiki that are worth pursuing?
I recently took a course in a type of reiki called Seichem. I'm still in the process of evaluating the "validity" of these teachings, but it was interesting though. If you look up Seichem and Patrick Zeigler (the supposed founder of the seichem) you will find some pretty interesting stuff, e.g. his supposed night stay in the great pyramid - where he received his "initiation" to seichem.

_http://www.coerdelion.demon.co.uk/seichem_seichim_1.html

_http://www.coerdelion.demon.co.uk/Seichem_seichim_history.html

It feels to me that these stories are fiction, but then again, I'm not sure. Kathleen Millner has also incorporated seichem in her teachings. I can't vouch for Kathleen Millner either, but have a look:

_http://www.kathleenmilner.com/SEICHEM.htm

So anyway, i felt that the seichem course was too full of "extra stuff", like 8 different forms of energies. I have done some treatments with the "procedures" learned on the course, but I feel that I should pursue the "original" reiki, which I first started with. It feels to me, that the simpler and more straightforward the reiki-concepts are - the more naturally effective it is. But then again this is just my intuition :)

I would be interested if someone has more info or experiences about seichem. It would be especially interesting to know personal experiences about Kathleen Millner.

Finally, in the c's material there's talk about the "second most effective" reiki symbols. Are these symbols available for viewing somewhere?

aragorn said:
Finally, in the c's material there's talk about the "second most effective" reiki symbols. Are these symbols available for viewing somewhere?
Aren't those the ones that are on James Deacon's web site? I thought that they said those were the best ones we have access to, and that there were more powerful ones that were in Sanskrit that nobody would rediscover.

session 941119 said:
Q: (L) Are there symbols for Reiki that are even older and stronger than the ones we have been given?
A: Yes.
Q: (L) Are the original symbols in Sanskrit?
A: Yes.
Q: (L) Where are we going to find them?
A: You are not.
Q: (L) And the Reiki Symbols we learned from S*** are the closest we can get?
A: Yes. Good enough.

EdgeofDawn said:
Aren't those the ones that are on James Deacon's web site? I thought that they said those were the best ones we have access to, and that there were more powerful ones that were in Sanskrit that nobody would rediscover.
I would very much like to know if this is the case. I tried to search for clues but couldn't find any. Could someone confirm this?

p.s. I'm having great success treating my wife's pregnancy complications (back pain, nausea etc) with reiki - recommend it highly!

Oh yes, sorry, now that I read this thread thoroughly(!) I learned from e.g. Laura's post, that the symbols on James Deacon's site should be "as close as one can get". One should always take the time to read things properly before submitting questions :)

After reflection I've come to see that this Seichem teacher I had was also a predator, like the one 'PepperFritz' talked about. Only that this was a woman. I also had a really bad feeling about this woman when I first met her. And she really suffered when I questioned things and wanted more information and references. It turned out that she wasn't really that smart at all; just kept talking the "nonsense" she knew by heart, like: "Ahh, that's your intellectual center talking, you really should not let it guide you.... Don't let your ego steer you...just trust your feelings... [and most revealingly]: Don't blame others if they are being evil and mean (like when I mentioned my horrendous alcoholic father who tormented my family), it was just meant to be that way - you chose to be born into those circumstances!" And when I asked more "complicated" questions she just didn't understand them, or maybe she pretended not to. I also stayed through the whole two day course because "I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something important - just in case..." Should have listened to my intuition though and left.

And oh, one of the arguments we had concerned "negative entities". I kept asking if when practising reiki (in this case called seichem) one is somehow more vulnerable to energies and entities that are "not so nice". Maybe they become "curious" when someone does "access" these energies? But she just kept saying that there's no such thing as negative energies/spirits/entities - and even if there were, you just concentrate and wish them away! Well I don't now the truth of course, but the point here is that at the end of the day she was "banishing" negative entities and alien surveillance equipment(!) from our bodies with a few swift hand movements!!! And there was more strange stuff said and going on...if anyone is curious just let me know.

I'm not sure if the whole bunch of the leaders of this "reiki school" are misleading and manipulative, that I am not saying and can't be sure of. But I just want to give a heads up for someone who is considering taking a course at this "school" - the healing method is called Cammalot Seichem and they practise mainly in Finland I believe, even though the founder is from Ireland. Take a look here:

_http://www.esatclear.ie/~cammalot/cammalot.html

and for those residing in Finland:

_http://www.cammalot.fi/ [in Finnish]

So (I think ) I learned my lesson, just going to learn more about the original reiki teachings from now on. Hope I didn't receive to many "false attunements". I've already found a marvellous practitioner and teacher. My gut feeling is good this time ;)

Aragorn said:
Hope I didn't receive to many "false attunements"
Have you had more than one attunement? Is this possible? I asked the woman who attuned me about this, but she didn't know.

starsailor said:
Have you had more than one attunement? Is this possible? I asked the woman who attuned me about this, but she didn't know.
You mean you've been attuned with Cammalot Seichem procedures? The CS practitioners believe there's 8 different energies you can use, and you receive attunements accordingly. These energies are called: "The golden dragon", "Seichem" (which holds in itself the four "earth energies": earth, fire, water and air - the earth element is considered to be the traditional reiki energy), "Christ", "Fairy" and "Violet flame". Sounds pretty messy, doesn't it? Then there's a bunch of special "enhancing" attunements you'll receive on "the higher levels". I can copy the Finnish manual if someone's interested. Some other suspicious elements of this CS is e.g. that you should meditate and call the "great spirits" to be present before starting the treatment. Now that's okay with me, but when the list of these great ones consists of characters like Sai Baba and the founder of this CS John Cosgrove, I do not feel comfortable.

One of the reasons I'm bringing this to your attention is that this CS "reiki belief system" is really having a big influence on the market here in Finland. The members are increasing by the day, and huge sums of money are being paid to this school. Well, maybe it's a great system I dunno, but my personal opinion and feeling is that this belief system is misleading people and could be even dangerous.

starsailor said:
For Usui Reiki? If so, level one is supposed to be four seperate attunements. Some Reiki Masters combine them all into one attunement instead of doing them seperately over the course of two days. It's my understanding that this is not a good idea, and that Reiki Masters who do that should be avoided.

Aragorn said:
You mean you've been attuned with Cammalot Seichem procedures?
No, I took a peek at their website and quickly left! Reiki, as I have understood it thus far, requires only one attunement for 'the tap to be turned on'. Once that is done, the valve is there, permanently.

When you said "hope i didn't receive too many false attunements", I thought you might have undergone more than one initiation from different streams of Reiki teachings. I did not know that there were teachings (like CS) that offer successive attunements within one teaching.

I had asked the woman who attuned me if one can undergo attunements with other streams, at a later date, for example. Can a fresh attunement overlay or cancel out or re-program a previous one? She doesn't seem to know, experienced practitioner though she is.

EdgeofDawn said:
For Usui Reiki? If so, level one is supposed to be four seperate attunements. Some Reiki Masters combine them all into one attunement instead of doing them seperately over the course of two days. It's my understanding that this is not a good idea, and that Reiki Masters who do that should be avoided.
Hmm, now you tell me :)

I thought that this was the general idea: Reiki as it has become taught in the 'west', is structured in to 3 levels. Level I attunement is not complete - this is only 'bestowed' at Level II after the novice has made efforts to widen the channel through practice. My teacher emphasises self-healing to be the primary practice for the novice.

Hey, does anyone here practice Reiki and QiGong? If so, does the QiGong help to strengthen your Reiki ability?
And vice versa, I would imagine.Also, as Bernhard mentioned, you can find yourself going deeper into yoga postures. For me, the jury is still out on whether accumulating energy via the motor center really aids the primary task of remembering myself. What's the point in gathering energy if it can be siphoned off everytime i dissociate?

Would it be possible to get a reiki master to attune me to the correct reiki symbols even though that person had not been attuned to that set? Would that work or would the person had to have already been attuned to the correct symbols in order to pass the attunement along?

Back
Top Bottom