Reiki concerns

Hi. I am beginning to consider reiki. But before starting, if possible I would like to have some basic guidance. I live in Argentina and until now reading about the lines of transmission between teacher and student, and the fact that there is a lot of corruption disseminated around the globe, as it is very difficult for me which is which. Now, I do not intend to enter fully into practice or seek a teacher right now, but rather find books on the subject, and contain the symbols that are correct and can give me a background on its meaning and use.

Thank you.

...I like to quickly draw the cho ku rei with one hand over the other...

Hi Team,

Was just going through the Arky Chu Gong video again and remembered I meant to ask earlier whether cho ku rei should be imagined in one palm or both?

My natural inclination is to 'draw' it on the left hand with the right - but I'm as green the grass...

Ta

J

Hi Team,

Was just going through the Arky Chu Gong video again and remembered I meant to ask earlier whether cho ku rei should be imagined in one palm or both?

My natural inclination is to 'draw' it on the left hand with the right - but I'm as green the grass...

Ta

J

I'd say it doesn't really matter on which hand you draw it. However, if you feel a need to 'play safe', the tradition is that the 'power hand' – the one you would use if you'd draw the symbols doing an attunement (you need to be a 'reiki master' to do that) to another – is the one where you originally received the symbols as you were attuned. Usually the reiki master asks if you're left or right handed, and then s/he'll draw the symbols in your primary hand (lef/right). 'Officially', you need to have completed Level 2 of training before you are able to use the symbols. However, if you're not, there's no harm in trying to use them...might just not work too well.

The tradition (that I'm trained in) is, that before beginning treatment you do the 'Gasho', where you press your palms together (as in praying, with fingers straight), and recite in your mind: "Whatever is best for the one being treated...".

I and many other Reiki teachers only draw the symbols 'in our minds' – imagining the symbols being drawn in your palm(s) as you've placed your hands on the 'patient' (or yourself), and from what I can tell, it works as well as drawing them physically, but how things feel might be individual. The more you do it, the more you 'feel-see' what works for you. Quite early in my training, I got the idea of drawing (in my mind) the symbols simultaneously in both palms, and I asked my teacher about it, and he said it was completely okay.

As a side note, my teacher who visited the 'original' Japanese Reiki senseis told me, how one of the teachers used only his eyes to do treatments – standing at a distance, he gave Reiki only using his eyes, and that could be clearly felt. Go figure...!

Quite early in my training, I got the idea of drawing (in my mind) the symbols simultaneously in both palms, and I asked my teacher about it, and he said it was completely okay.

Thank you for the detailed response aragorn.

I had wondered about symbolising both palms previously but then started wondering about orientation / mirroring etc...so am still just feeling my way with the left so far. Also is it common to feel heat in both palms, your mention of 'power hand' has me wracking my brain as I can only remember the teacher inscribing symbols behind me (as i could feel it) and not my hands - though my eyes were closed I think??

As a side note, my teacher who visited the 'original' Japanese Reiki senseis told me, how one of the teachers used only his eyes to do treatments – standing at a distance, he gave Reiki only using his eyes, and that could be clearly felt. Go figure...!

That's pretty cool :cool:

Cheers

J

Oops, forgot...

The tradition (that I'm trained in) is, that before beginning treatment you do the 'Gasho', where you press your palms together (as in praying, with fingers straight), and recite in your mind: "Whatever is best for the one being treated...".

Thank you for that, it was recommended that I should also use a pre-cursor affirmation along the lines of 'I am a clear and open channel for Reiki' - do you use anything similiar or would that become superfluous with practice?

Thanks again

J

Thank you for the detailed response aragorn.

I had wondered about symbolising both palms previously but then started wondering about orientation / mirroring etc...so am still just feeling my way with the left so far. Also is it common to feel heat in both palms, your mention of 'power hand' has me wracking my brain as I can only remember the teacher inscribing symbols behind me (as i could feel it) and not my hands - though my eyes were closed I think??

That's pretty cool :cool:

Cheers

J

Ah, I forgot to mention, that the reiki master draws the symbols in your palm (of your writing hand) only during attunements at Level 2. What you describe sounds like the Level 1 attunements. I think that all sorts of pre-cursor affirmations are okay, as long as they are neutral – detached from your ego (like: "I'm going to heal this guy from his cancer..." etc.) and not taking sides of what's best for the client. For, instance, the C's have indicated that with certain illnesses, like bacterial or viral infections, reiki might not be beneficial. And I don't mean to dispute with the C's (!), but my own 'working theory' is, that the Reiki energy has some degree of intelligence...so if you state at the beginning that "What is best for the client..." this intelligence might 'take into consideration' that it will not work in a way that will strengthen the bacteria/viruses. In some cases it might 'refuse' to work, because it's best for the client (perhaps the client has chosen to 'leave').

I remember my teacher saying, that he's treated many cancer patients, and what the Reiki mostly does in his opinion is that it strengthens the individual (you could guess 'soul', 'energy flow' and 'immune system') so that s/he has better coping mechanisms to fight the cancer. What I mean is, that doing Reiki to a cancer patient will not make the cancer go 'poof' and away, but it might help the 'body-soul' to fight it.

Over the weekend, I did Reiki Level II. It was a small group and we did group treatments as part of the practicals.

I read in this thread that reciting symbol names three times is not necessary and can be seen as a form of ritual, and drawing the symbols will suffice; that makes sense.

Also I feel more tingling than heat in my hands with Cho Ku Rei. I don't know what that means or what the ranges of feelings are. Each symbol definitely has different energies.

Has anyone practiced or does currently practice Reiki on the public as the only therapy? I'm looking into practicing, alongside work and studying, and asking for some thoughts on this, both general and specific.

Back
Top Bottom