RIP Robin Williams

I heard on the news today that he was suffering from the beginning stages of Parkinson's Disease.

This is as yet unconfirmed, but it might give a deeper understanding into why Mr. Williams felt it was necessary for him to remove himself from this density.

It was a strange occurrence when I learned that he had passed:

I was watching "What Dreams May Come" and I received a phone call from my mother. I paused the film on a frame which was during a close up of Mr. Williams so that his face was framed on the screen.

Then my mother told me the news. As I looked back at the tv screen, it appeared to me that Mr. Williams was looking right at me.

I told her that I was watching him on tv and I received a shocked silence from the other end of the line. Especially when I told her which movie I was watching.

"What are the odds of that?!?", she asked me.

Seriously, what are the odds of that?

I cannot say that I am saddened by his death, as I am not really saddened by any death. But I do feel the loss of his presence and I eagerly wait for his last two films to be released.

I have heard that Mr. Williams was not keen on the idea of a Mrs. Doubtfire sequel but it was stated by a personal friend of his that, "He needed the paycheck."

I think that statement alone tells quite a bit about the state of Mr. Williams' life at that point. He was an extremely generous man according to his family and friends and he gave of himself to any that he felt needed his help. There are numerous talented people to whom he gave a boost and they will be forever indebted to his memory.

What makes me sad about this whole thing is that a good, generous and supremely talented man would struggle in life to the point that he felt the only way to resolve his feelings was to make them stop.

I will always enjoy you, Mr. Williams and I feel that you have made a great contribution to the world.

I´ll miss his presence too. It´s the kind of human being I could never forget.

Sadly, it seems one of my favorite movie, "The fisher king", has sort of become his own tragedy in real life. The story summary is about his quest for the holy grail where he was attracting at the same time his shadow in the shape of a phantasmagorical demonic knight that was persecuting him, from which he desperately tried to run away. But he couldn´t because he never could overcome the death of her beloved wife who had been murdered before his quest started.

Who knows what his drug substances abuse were accounting for. Here is a video where he and a doctor talk a little bit about this topic:

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVnXSgY5uls&feature=player_detailpage

I first heard the news through my wife. At the time, my thoughts all stopped, my mind went silent as if respectfully acknowledging an exercise of supreme autonomous choice.

When the shock wore off, I knew the kinds of articles and blog posts would be showing up on a google search would present all kinds of references to 'mental illness' and speculations would be thrown around.

Some have said Robin Williams was AD/HD. I don't know that Robin ever publicly confirmed that, but many in the community accepted him as such because he felt like 'kin' so to speak. Robin has stated that he used 'manic' episodes in his comedy, and when asked by an interviewer about clinical depression, Robin said "No. No, not clinical depression, but, y'know I get bummed..." So, some people have also read "bipolar" into that.

It's tough to explain to people how frenzied you can get if you're neuro-chemically incapable of self-calming without drugs, yet drugs make you feel like a shell of yourself with shallow emotion when emotional depth is part of who you are or how you define yourself. I know there are members of this forum who can attest to that.

I don't know what all was happening in Robin's life, but I posted before on how a certain depression had brought me to the point of suicide.

The following story is kind of an example some may understand or recognize.

I was recently in contact with an acquaintance who, along with her son, had been diagnosed ADD previously to this event. The son had recently changed schools. The new teachers were more antagonistic towards kids in general and the son in particular. On a day when a teacher said something mean to the son, instead of 'shrinking back' like most kids are conditioned to do, he lashed out in what was deemed an "aggressive" attitude.

Thing is, the kid has always been very smart and was on track to early college entry, but now found himself in trouble. Of course, the mother was also affected. The school district planned a disciplinary tribunal, the parents worked frantically to gather information and resources that might help the son stay in school. If he's expelled, he'll be viewed as a "violent offender" and told that a school just for violent offenders is where he'll be sent. Instead of an honor student he'll be considered a pariah. From there, college looked like an impossibility.

So, what effects can this kind of life situation have on certain people that don't fit the "normal" category? Your typical cheerful, creative self hops into the back seat. You dip into a depression that makes descriptions of bipolar read like a Disney ride, the one with the teacups.

You can't sleep, You can't eat. You alternate between deep chills and intense sweating. You can't cry. You're thirsty, but you always need to go to the bathroom. When you're that depressed or that far down, you're completely disabled. You're also scared to death. More scared probably than at any other time in your life. You can imagine or feel like your own death would be nothing compared to watching your kids murdered by an uncaring bureaucracy, your own family victimized by an uncaring social services or even your own life going down the toilet after a lifetime of giving all to others for their entertainment.

So then, you plan to get some help for that. When your kid gets in trouble or something bad happens to a family member or even in your own life and you become a basket case, it's not a good thing. But sometimes, neither is the "help."

Anyway, my understanding is that the Marin county coroner did confirm that Robin was seeking treatment for depression and that was just a statement of what was already suspected to be the case. We knew Robin Williams - each in our own way, maybe, but also partially in sync with him. And we know what the world is like.

So now, when someone asks one of our kids what it's like to "have ADD", the kids say "It's like having Robin Williams in your head. Does that make sense?"

Maybe, like hesperides suggests, Robin's psyche was built on an archetype consisting of irreconcilable forces...I don't know, but I do agree with Mikha'el:

Mikha'el said:
I will always enjoy you, Mr. Williams and I feel that you have made a great contribution to the world.

Indeed, Dead Poet's Society will forever stand as a suggestion for how to make a totally boring school subject much more interesting, IMO.

hesperides said:
I´ll miss his presence too. It´s the kind of human being I could never forget.

Here as well.

I had been feeling especially off/down last Sunday and Monday. Ended up not going into work Monday because of it. Just really saddening and strange to get the news from my sister that evening of Robin Williams passing.

Think I'll look into revisiting the movies mentioned thus far in this thread.

I did not react well at all to Robin William's passing. To me, there was something about him, that just being here, added more to this world. His presence seemed so big, and his heart seemed so full of love; he seemed genuine, and he seemed so full of wonder, and excitement. It's almost like he exuded the purity of a child. When I heard he was gone, I felt a void inside of me. This is the first time I have ever felt this way with the passing of a celebrity; except for Diana. The world just seems just a little bleaker without Robin in it.

Rose7 said:
The world just seems just a little bleaker without Robin in it.

It does indeed.

Unfortunately I can't say it surprises me that such a sensitive soul would finally feel this world was simply too much. My heart goes out to his family. If people who have never met him are affected so greatly, just imagine how those poor people must feel.

It is a very great loss. :( And I am utterly appalled by the self righteous insensitive "people" of Westboro Baptist Church. They just keep getting lower and lower.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/08/14/robin-williams-dead-westboro-baptist-church-_n_5678444.html

Rose7 said:
I did not react well at all to Robin William's passing. To me, there was something about him, that just being here, added more to this world. His presence seemed so big, and his heart seemed so full of love; he seemed genuine, and he seemed so full of wonder, and excitement. It's almost like he exuded the purity of a child. When I heard he was gone, I felt a void inside of me. This is the first time I have ever felt this way with the passing of a celebrity; except for Diana. The world just seems just a little bleaker without Robin in it.

That describes pretty well how I felt about it. There was something that shone through in his performances, like the tears of a clown. Very sad.

We've been admiring his warm and sincere moments just a couple of months ago here on the forum, and now he's gone. I've been trying to find words and express what I feel about this loss, but it's impossible.

So let me just remind of some precious quotes of Robin:
Never pick a fight with an ugly person, they've got nothing to lose.
Politics: “Poli” a Latin word meaning “many”; and "tics" meaning “bloodsucking creatures”.
Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves?
The Russians love Brooke Shields because her eyebrows remind them of Leonid Brezhnev.
Beer commercials usually show big men, manly men, doing manly things: "You've just killed a small animal. It's time for a light beer." Why not have a realistic beer commercial, with a realistic thing about beer, where someone goes, "It's five o'clock in the morning. You've just pissed on a dumpster. It's Miller time."
People say satire is dead. It's not dead; it's alive and living in the White House.
I went to rehab [for alcoholism] in wine country, just to keep my options open.
Cocaine is God’s way of saying you’re making too much money.
I was once on a German talk show, and this woman said to me, "Mr. Williams, why do you think there is not so much comedy in Germany?" And I said, "Did you ever think you killed all the funny people?"
When I was growing up they used to say, "Robin, drugs can kill you." Now that I'm 58 my doctor's telling me, "Robin, you need drugs to live." I realize now that my doctor is also my dealer...
But only in their dreams can men be truly free It was always thus and always thus will be.
Reality: What a concept!

Same here.
I catch myself thinking about his passing more than I would have thought.
I think his humanity really shone through in his movies, his interviews, etc.
What a loss...

Mrs. Tigersoap said:

Same here.
I catch myself thinking about his passing more than I would have thought.
I think his humanity really shone through in his movies, his interviews, etc.
What a loss...

Same thing for me.

What a loss...

Yes, thank you Siberia; sorry for not acknowledging how you thoughtfully put in the time for Robin's quotes. Thanks for your time and effort showing us how truly original and funny he was.

Great thanks, Siberia! An interesting proverbial enciclopedia could be made just out of all R.Williams´ thoughtful insights.

BTW, I´ve just discovered through this thread while watching some of his videos that RW was also acting in theaters. I´m not able to grasp everything he says there (I´m not English) but enough so as to appreciate his hudge gift at inspiring people´s best disposition towards life. He was much more than a successful comedian and actor, indeed.

Back
Top Bottom