Robot vacuum

hlat

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I've been trying out the robot vacuum Roomba by iRobot. I didn't want to like it but I'm keeping it for now. I got it from Costco so I can return it anytime that I am no longer satisfied.

I think it is the next in line of the machines doing chores for us; first the washing machine and dryer, then the dishwasher, and now the robot vacuum. These robot vacuums have been available for many years, and I wish I got one a long time ago.

Like the washing machine and dishwasher, the robot vacuum is not as good as a competent human, but it saves human energy. I need to clear the floor of anything that will tangle up the robot such as a small floor rug. The robot is constantly getting stuck under the couch. It is slow and takes 5-10 times longer to vacuum an area. It is as loud as a regular vacuum but feels louder since it takes so much longer. I generally run the robot after the kids are in bed or not home.

The new models have wireless emissions and a camera that uploads to iRobot servers. I tried putting opaque tape over the camera, but then the robot doesn't navigate as well blind and takes even longer to vacuum an area. I don't know how to disable the wireless on it to prevent it from emitting EMF.

So you know that this thing is the Trojan of an hidden agenda but you bought it anyway. :shock: This is your choice.

I’ve toyed with the idea of getting one, because I do like keeping my house clean - I just wish it would stay clean for longer! What on earth would they want a map of your house for? I’m sure between Google, Council records and other government agencies, they’d have that info anyway.

Cleaning can be chore a lot of the times, but I also find it therapeutic. Peterson often expounds on the value of making beds, and tidying up and I have to agree. I’ll cheat with my washing machine, but I’ll stick to washing dishes and vacuuming the old fashioned way.

So you know that this thing is the Trojan of an hidden agenda but you bought it anyway. :shock: This is your choice.
You make a great point. In response, I have ordered a prior model that does not have a camera, and will return the Roomba with a camera.

However, let's consider the broader context. You have a computer or cell phone and use the internet, and those are trojans; have you taken any steps to counter their trojan aspects? I put tape over cameras and use a virtual private network, though I understand the limited effectiveness against Mossad types. The effectiveness of some technological items surpass their trojan surveillance, though maybe not the robot vacuum.

Do you see another issue with the robot vacuum?

Tape over phone camera too. You're right, we can't escape all the monitoring but we can avoid to help it!

Another thing I would advise to do, is to disable the microphone present in on laptop PC.

You make a great point. In response, I have ordered a prior model that does not have a camera, and will return the Roomba with a camera.
👍

However, let's consider the broader context. You have a computer or cell phone and use the internet, and those are trojans; have you taken any steps to counter their trojan aspects? I put tape over cameras and use a virtual private network, though I understand the limited effectiveness against Mossad types. The effectiveness of some technological items surpass their trojan surveillance, though maybe not the robot vacuum.

I used to put a tape over my 💻 camera until a competent friend of mine deactivated the gadget.
The main problem seems to be internet security and anonymity.

I'm planning to use one 💻 for surfing the internet and another 💻 off line for working and saving data.

I'm not much very into cell phones. Luckily I don't have to use them for my work. I carry a cheap pre-paid phone for outdoor activities. It mainly serves for emergencies, like calling a taxi or the police and short communications with friends. I admit to being off line most of the time, especially in the car. I would never use it in that Faraday cage.

The smart phone is either kept in the car for messaging or at home. To make the weather app work I have activated GPS only once - at a place where I don't live. ;-)

I have not much use for GPS anyway since I know my way around the city quite well.

📠 I'm still using a corded landline phone! Whether cordless or cell phone, they are making me feel the radiant heat within minutes...

While on the subject of Trojan technology, I can't help but mentioning cash and credit cards...
I'll have to admit that I'm still using Amazon :-[ on credit card.

However, let's consider the broader context. You have a computer or cell phone and use the internet, and those are trojans; have you taken any steps to counter their trojan aspects?

You make a good point there, hlat. Unfortunately technology is a double edged sword- it confers benefits but also threatens an individual’s privacy on a scale we have not seen before. And sadly, I feel it’s only going to get worse. Household gadgets, cars, phones are getting ‘smarter’ - they not only have built in obsolescence, but also ever increasing surveillance. You can’t even buy these things sans the ‘smartness’ unless you hunt for older models. The obsolescence forces you to upgrade, and the surveillance just gets more Orwellian. Glad you were able to trade your Roomba for an older one without a camera.

"Household gadgets, cars, phones are getting ‘smarter’ - they not only have built in obsolescence, but also ever increasing surveillance. You can’t even buy these things sans the ‘smartness’ unless you hunt for older models. The obsolescence forces you to upgrade, and the surveillance just gets more Orwellian."

Indeed. I just upgraded my very old and unreliable Toyota (almost no value) for a spiffy new of same type. Creepy indeed are the innumerable conveniences that also 'keep me safe'. I've decided to hang on to my old, lower tech car just for use around town and for messy hauling jobs. At the very least, it always looks like someone is at home. In the new car, I keep silent, stay in my lane and observe carefully all rules, because the car is watching, listening and reporting.

I've noticed modern appliances break down pretty quickly. So expensive to repair that most just replace them. I'm trying to do without new appliances as they break down. Just me in the house now. No interest whatsoever in a robotic vacuum.

What do the other kinds of smart (IOE) appliances report/monitor?

Indeed. I just upgraded my very old and unreliable Toyota (almost no value) for a spiffy new of same type. Creepy indeed are the innumerable conveniences that also 'keep me safe'. I've decided to hang on to my old, lower tech car just for use around town and for messy hauling jobs. At the very least, it always looks like someone is at home. In the new car, I keep silent, stay in my lane and observe carefully all rules, because the car is watching, listening and reporting.

Oh it’ll be driverless cars next. I had to upgrade my 12 yr old car a few years ago, plenty of mods cons but at least I still feel like I am in control. The newer version has technology that stops you veering of the road and stay within your lane, and a whole host of seemingly useful tech for your comfort & safety of course (well that’s how they pitch it.)

What do the other kinds of smart (IOE) appliances report/monitor?

Just about everything I reckon from smart appliances, smart phones laptops, computers etc, smart cars, Google Home, Amazon Alexa - just a few that come to mind.

I love my Roomba! It really helps and does a better job than I would lugging the heavy Hoover around. There are a few places it won't fit and the designers haven't figured out a Roomba for steps. No problem for me as I hit the stairs and narrow spots with a powerful handvac. Saves me time and I'm very happy with the critter. I've nick-named it Nibs after a Star Wars EU story about a wayward mouse droid by that name. :-D

Didn't know about the spying part, but everything tech these days has that capability.

Last edited:
Robot vacuum has joined the ranks of my indispensable tools like dishwasher and washing machine. While it doesn't vacuum as well as a human, it conserves my human energy and does a good enough job on the daily crumbs around the dining table.

Back
Top Bottom