Romantic Fiction, Reality Shaping and The Work

I finally read my first book. It was Indiscreet by Mary Balogh from the horseman Trilogy.
Jefferson just did a fine job of reviewing before me so thanks for that so won't add much to that.
Personally I found the book enjoyable. I wouldn't like to say how long it's been since I read any book but very happy I picked up this heartwarming story.
I enjoyed the characters and how the story developed. The characters are interesting. The author Balogh seems to reveal the main characters own personal stories at at just the right time whilst building their relationship together.
It was good to see the characters come back from adversity and how they overcome their fear from past hurt to build something special.
On to Unforgiven.

Right now I'm on the third and last book of the Horsemen Trilogy - Irresistible - and so far it's my favourite of the three. I've had mixed emotions reading all of them based on the ark of the characters wounding and issues, particularly the second one, Unforgiven, which while reading hated to admit that some of Moira's tendencies of being obstinate and not wanting to say anything to anyone of her condition and what was going on with her reminded me a lot of myself in many ways. There were times that the dynamics between her and Ken were so tumultuous and dramatic and brought up so many memories and emotions that I wanted to throw the book out the window while reading it. Yet, I couldn't put it down at the same time. In fact, it reminded me of the book on BPD called 'I Hate You, Don't Leave me' at least in name, because I haven't read it. But it sort of encapsulated the dynamics between them, for me anyways. It was as if the entire book was filled with tension that Moira and Ken were finally able to resolve at the end that I experienced the same relief.

Mary Balogh really is a fantastic writer and the books sure are engaging.

I finished A Rake's Midnight Kiss the other day. I think it was better than the first novel in the series, Seven Nights. There were more locations and even some fights. At first the only recurring character was the dog Sirius, but when some of the other characters were introduced, it was like in a sitcom where a character makes and entrance and pauses while the audience cheers.

I found myself wondering if there was an illustrated DK book on the time period, but I saw only a Victorian period one. This is technically the Regency period. I was wondering what their carriages, lanterns and pistols looked like. And I didn't know what a bodice and lemon verbena were. :-P

The rake, Christopher, seemed at first a devious character and I couldn't really relate to him. So Genevieve was a bit more relatable. I seemed to get interested in the story quicker than Seven Nights, maybe because it was more dynamic and with different locations. Starting book 3 in this series tomorrow.

As I said before, I think the plots are promising, but sex takes up most of the story. Since by the end, all I wanted to do was find out what happened, I skipped a lot of the bedroom scenes.

The purpose of the reading Romantic Fiction is to learn and understanding about human life and same times, uses the sexual chakra energy to activities higher centers.
But in this realm, some people abhors sexuality and some people overactive that cause the energy to stuck in lower center.
As the Cs said that the purpose of the life is learning in this density things. So we have to learn how to control sexual energy, and uses as tools to activate all the higher energy centers. This is a easier way.
Another way to activate higher chakra is meditation, but again, if person’s sexual chakra is not balanced then it might take longer.
Anyway I have been meditating few months now and lately I have noticed that some energy coming through my feet. And I didn’t know what kind of energy that was, and looking through the transcripts but can’t find any, then yesterday I found the information from Ra-Material.
Interestingly, Ra was also talking about energy centers.

January 1, 1995

A: Chakras are like escalators, you choose your step and rise accordingly.

Q: (G) Well, I was hoping they would give me a number. I don't know much about chakras.

A: Learn
Q: (V) With meditation and metaphysical exercise, I can lift my chakras higher, is this correct?

A: Yes.

Q: (V) Dedication?

A: Yes.

Q: (V) Is it all in what I perceive my purpose to be?

A: Yes

The Law of One, Book III, Session 54
Questioner: Can you describe the energy that enters these energy centers? Can you describe its path from its origin, its form, and its effect? I don’t know if this is possible.

Ra: Firstly, there is the inner light which is Polaris of the self, the guiding star. This is the birthright and true nature of all entities. This energy dwells within

The second point of ingress is the polar opposite of the North Star, shall we say, and may be seen, if you wish to use the physical body as an analog for the magnetic field, as coming through the feet from the earth and through the lower point of the spine. This point of ingress of the universal light energy is undifferentiated until it begins its filtering process through the energy centers. The requirements of each center and the efficiency with which the individual has learned to tap into the inner light determine the nature of the use made by the entity of these in-streamings

Questioner: I’ll make this statement which may be somewhat distorted and then let you correct it. We have, coming through the feet and base of the spine, the total energy that the mind/body/spirit complex will receive in the way of what we call light. Each energy center then filters out and uses a portion of this energy, red through violet. Is this correct?

Ra: I am Ra. This is largely correct. The exceptions are as follows: The energy ingress ends with indigo. The violet ray is a thermometer or indicator of the whole

The Law of One, Book III, Session 74
Ra: I am Ra. The indigo center is indeed most important for the work of the adept. However, it cannot, no matter how crystallized, correct to any extent whatsoever imbalances or blockages in other energy centers. They must needs be cleared seriatim from red upwards

Meditations from the Transcript

I came across this interesting blog which describes the fashion, carriages (phaeton, curricles, gigs), titles of Regency Era, and more. It’s written by an author who needed to research the times for her own novels. It’s nice to get a feel for the society and culture of the times. While the Regency period technically lasted only nine years (1811-1820), the themes of love, chivalry and reformed rakes was also fuelled by Romanticsm in art and literature.

From the website below:
The Romantic Movement was well-established by the time the Regency started. This was a time that was rich in literature, both poetry and prose. It was the time of the Romantic poets like Wordsworth, Byron, Coleridge and Shelley and the Romantic novelist, Sir Walter Scott. Constable and Turner were painting and Beethoven was composing. The Regency finished, but the Romantics went on.

I finished Marry in Haste last night. It was gooooood!!

There's more character development and fewer graphic scenes - although the ones in this book aren't really any less graphic than in the Sons of Sin series.

At first, I was a bit bored... This 1st book seemed to take FOREVER to get going - at least for me. But once it got rolling, WOO!

My only real complaint so far about all of these books is the endings... It's almost like the publisher says, "Okay, write me a 300-page romance novel!"

So the authors start writing, often weaving relatively complex stories with evolving characters, and so on... Then the author reaches 295 pages, says, "Oh crap! How am I going to wrap this up in 5 pages?! OH! I know!"

1. Pages 296-297: someone gets shot, stabbed, or otherwise grievously injured. Except you know they aren't gonna die.
  2. Page 298: Oh look, they're fine!
  3. Pages 299-300: Some months have passed, and everything is fine. Oh, and she's pregnant.
It gets a bit tiring! Of course, the endings are always totally satisfying, but they all seem a bit rushed for my tastes. Why not make it a happy ending and then leave some of the good bits for the NEXT book?

Despite the rushed endings, I'm quite anxious to read Marry in Scandal now to see what happens with the family and all its marvelous characters.

Other than that, I really liked both Cal and Emm, especially Cal. "Dammit, woman!" [throws himself at her] :lol:

The purpose of the reading Romantic Fiction is to learn and understanding about human life and same times, uses the sexual chakra energy to activities higher centers.
But in this realm, some people abhors sexuality and some people overactive that cause the energy to stuck in lower center.
As the Cs said that the purpose of the life is learning in this density things. So we have to learn how to control sexual energy, and uses as tools to activate all the higher energy centers. This is a easier way.
Another way to activate higher chakra is meditation, but again, if person’s sexual chakra is not balanced then it might take longer.
Anyway I have been meditating few months now and lately I have noticed that some energy coming through my feet. And I didn’t know what kind of energy that was, and looking through the transcripts but can’t find any, then yesterday I found the information from Ra-Material.
Interestingly, Ra was also talking about energy centers.

The Law of One, Book III, Session 54
Questioner: Can you describe the energy that enters these energy centers? Can you describe its path from its origin, its form, and its effect? I don’t know if this is possible.

Ra: Firstly, there is the inner light which is Polaris of the self, the guiding star. This is the birthright and true nature of all entities. This energy dwells within

The second point of ingress is the polar opposite of the North Star, shall we say, and may be seen, if you wish to use the physical body as an analog for the magnetic field, as coming through the feet from the earth and through the lower point of the spine. This point of ingress of the universal light energy is undifferentiated until it begins its filtering process through the energy centers. The requirements of each center and the efficiency with which the individual has learned to tap into the inner light determine the nature of the use made by the entity of these in-streamings

Questioner: I’ll make this statement which may be somewhat distorted and then let you correct it. We have, coming through the feet and base of the spine, the total energy that the mind/body/spirit complex will receive in the way of what we call light. Each energy center then filters out and uses a portion of this energy, red through violet. Is this correct?

Ra: I am Ra. This is largely correct. The exceptions are as follows: The energy ingress ends with indigo. The violet ray is a thermometer or indicator of the whole

The Law of One, Book III, Session 74
Ra: I am Ra. The indigo center is indeed most important for the work of the adept. However, it cannot, no matter how crystallized, correct to any extent whatsoever imbalances or blockages in other energy centers. They must needs be cleared seriatim from red upwards

Meditations from the Transcript
thank you for the transcript-remembering

I finished Marry in Haste last night. It was gooooood!!

There's more character development and fewer graphic scenes - although the ones in this book aren't really any less graphic than in the Sons of Sin series.

At first, I was a bit bored... This 1st book seemed to take FOREVER to get going - at least for me. But once it got rolling, WOO!
Interestingly I had similar feelings. The pace during last 15% is like in winding down mode. The first part of the book is more about head-of- household responsibility of men, which may look silly in this part of the world.
My only real complaint so far about all of these books is the endings... It's almost like the publisher says, "Okay, write me a 300-page romance novel!"
This is like m & m colors - a different audience with different tastes with the usual aim of business - more readers and more profits. But, there are some unexpected dialog's makes reading worth it. Probably, that is called light reading.

It gets a bit tiring! Of course, the endings are always totally satisfying, but they all seem a bit rushed for my tastes. Why not make it a happy ending and then leave some of the good bits for the NEXT book?
Despite the rushed endings, I'm quite anxious to read Marry in Scandal now to see what happens with the family and all its marvelous characters.
Even though it is slow going at the beginning and they leave us with dopamin hit at the end making us look for the next book. After reading first 2 books of 'Marriage of Convienence', I thought "What else they have to cover in other books?" But, I was surprised at the story line of 3rd book first half though second half is predictable. After few series of books, we can easily guess who are the protagonists, though story twists may not be clear unless one reads book description.

Even though it is slow going at the beginning and they leave us with dopamin hit at the end making us look for the next book. After reading first 2 books of 'Marriage of Convienence', I thought "What else they have to cover in other books?" But, I was surprised at the story line of 3rd book first half though second half is predictable. After few series of books, we can easily guess who are the protagonists, though story twists may not be clear unless one reads book description.
I've just started the third book, "Marry in Secret" and it's already taken a turn I didn't expect because I don't like to read the book summary first cause it gives the plot away. I already figured out after reading the second one, that each book would be about one of the female characters. This book is about Rose, I'm sure the last one will be about George. They are formulaic, we know there will be a happy ending for each of them, but I enjoy the journey of how they get there.

I did find the first "Marry in Haste" to be slow going at the beginning, I almost gave up on it since the audio was over 12 hours long, but I'm glad I didn't cause I think I'm enjoying this series the most of all the audio books available through Hoopla, with the Mackenzie books (I've read the first three) coming in second.

Last edited:
Well, I've found three more books that are rather delightful, and a new author.

The Wagers of Sin Series by Caroline Linden

1. My Once and Future Duke
2. An Earl Like You
3. When the Marquess Was Mine

Some really beautiful scenes and dialog.

Usually when i read/heard words i can perceive images taking shape, especially if it awakens something in me.

A few others nights ago in watching television with a kind of coincidence/moose momentum, of course it 's not the same impact than the recommended books, i was sitting and enjoying this movie at the most simply and understanding echo.
Here is the trailer synonymous with spoiler, as for the books it is not the form that matters most but the substance that is revealed in us through this work of reading.

Also in this film, this side of "intersection in" times, and values through these "same" times.
Retroactively, in the sens actively you go in the futur, and you come back in your past without loss. And from the futur you go in the past also lossless. In that way shaping your present, can not only shape the futur, but also the past, at least to heal it and recover from it. That gives you more light to shape your present for a better futur. That's why unlike our dear time extra-travelers. We "can" change “time” just to be present, in the CHOICE we make or not.

I finished A Scoundrel by Moonlight and the companion novella Three Proposals and a Scandal, and while neither of them moved me deeply, they weren't boring either and they both brought up a legitimate idea or two to think about. I thought these books were a step up from Seven Nights and Midnight Kiss, but fell short of What a Duke Dares. I would describe both as "honest romances." I settled on a B- grade for the novel and B for the novella.

There isn't a whole lot that sticks out to me about A Scoundrel by Moonlight, good or bad. It sort of gave me a vaguely warm and fuzzy feeling like something that would be on the Hallmark Channel, minus the sexy parts of course. The fact that it is about the guy who sort of played the villain in the previous book was kind of a clever twist, and we get to see his character given much more nuanced treatment. Initially Eleanor wants to destroy James because she believes he raped her sister, and James is pretty much the historical equivalent of the business tycoon trying to win the rat race or the societal influence peddler trying to claw his way to the top of the heap. He believes that the value of his soul is measured solely by the prestige attained in his career, much of which was instilled by his mother. When they first meet, James has that sort of instant horniness which I can only describe as lust, however lust almost is always symptomatic of a deeper connection in these stories, and I suppose it occasionally is in real life, but not usually. Eleanor is attracted to him and suppresses it, and James suppresses it, because he has a pretty good idea she is out to sabotage him in some way. The sexual tension swirls around for awhile until James walks in on her rummaging through his bedroom as she looks for evidence to incriminate him. Trying to extricate herself from a sticky situation, she decides to try to seduce him, but seduction becomes something more. They both end up brooding over increased sexual tension for awhile, and then the novel moves into a fairly protracted courtship phase. James goes out of his way to help a couple of people and Eleanor sees that he must have an honorable side under his rather rough exterior, while James appreciates that she isn't like the sycophantic cardboard people he usually encounters in political life and is fascinated that she seems to have a will of her own and something real in her. A fair amount of time is spent on them getting to know each other and there aren't really any high-flying adventures or flashy scenes until the end of the book, which is why I describe it as an "honest romance." After they become lovers, Eleanor does find the "evidence" she was seeking and becomes convinced she's been romancing a monster. This event is foreshadowed rather heavily essentially since the beginning of the novel, and I could see it coming a mile away, so I don't really consider it a spoiler. She runs to Cam because she considers him the most likely adversary of James (Lord Leath) due to his involvement in ensuring Sophie ended up with her beloved, who is nearly penniless and ill-regarded, rather than the rich suitor James had chosen for her. Cam suspects all is not as it seems, and the situation between Eleanor and James ends up getting resolved by some hot make up sex in Cam's library. (That library seems to see quite a bit of action) For reasons unknown to me, I ended up getting turned on by their second round in there. Perhaps the previous book has impared my ability to control it or something. Anyway, events are then set up to go after the real culprit, and James ends up demonstrating his love in a rather dramatic way that puts him in roughly the same league as Cam by the end of the book.

The novella is about Marianne, who was the perfect duchess being groomed for marriage to Cam and her marriage to the middle Thorne son. It seems that Anna Campbell wanted to complete her world with a love story for all of the characters encountered in the series who truly wanted it. Marianne comes from a wealthy family and has always striven to be the perfect child for her father, in this way her story is sort of a mirror image of James'. Before the story starts, both her and Elias have experienced that magnetic connection but her father has convinced her that he's only after her money and his financial difficulties put him far beneath her dignity, so she spends most of the story suppressing her attraction. Marianne tells him repeatedly that he's a gold digger, she doesn't like him, and he should go pound sand, yet Elias relentlessly pursues her, beyond all common sense I thought, because of this feeling. Marianne's father has her conditioned to a life of wealth and luxury, having her promised to a much older but equally wealthy man whom she can't love, and Elias' case would be rather hopeless if it wasn't for Sidonie, who later cajoles Jonas into helping him. Eventually Elias gets Marianne alone and manages to persuade her into a make out session where he gets through to her somewhat. Shortly thereafter she is intercepted by a suitor who really is desperate to get her money, and learns to appreciate the difference while realizing that Elias is telling the truth. This ultimately gives her the fortitude to go against her father, and it's happily ever after. The book manages to cover a decent amount of territory for its length.

Both books deal with being the perfect child and having to rebel against the supposedly perfect life that one's parents have set up for them. The parents don't seem to know or care much about love; relationships are merely a business contract. They believe they're doing what's best for their children while in reality all they do is perpetuate misery. That's pretty realistic. I can see where James' story would be more impactful to someone who had to deal with a "tiger mom" who was really pushing the six figure job and all of the regalia and trappings of success. I never really cared about winning the corporate rat race or being someone "important," my parents brought it up a few times but never really pushed it. So I experienced that story from a distance and it really never touched me personally. The second book focuses more on cynicism specifically, and while we're dealing with cynicism about money, it could be cynicism about anything. This one was a bit more relevant because I do harbor a fair amount of cynicism about certain things. Marianne's cynicism combined with her desire to please her father nearly consigned her to a sort of golden prison; a life of wealth and luxury but hollow and with no meaning, suffering in silent misery. Yet her attraction to Elias ultimately saves her from that fate. While a highly idealized work of fiction is not going to suddenly "convert" me, it does give me cause to think about the reasons behind cynicism and where they may or may not be appropriate.

So ends the Sons of Sin. Cam's story was fairly interesting, James' was alright, I didn't get much out of the first two, at least not consciously. The novellas were not disappointing. One more Anna Campbell to go, after which point I plan to try the 1797 series because they seem to have a lot of background which is something I asked for. Depending on how that goes, I may be finished with the high heat authors. I'm saving Huxtable Quintet for last.

Last edited:
There isn't a whole lot that sticks out to me about A Scoundrel by Moonlight, good or bad. It sort of gave me a vaguely warm and fuzzy feeling like something that would be on the Hallmark Channel, minus the sexy parts of course. The fact that it is about the guy who sort of played the villain in the previous book was kind of a clever twist, and we get to see his character given much more nuanced treatment. Initially Eleanor wants to destroy James because she believes he raped her sister, and James is pretty much the historical equivalent of the business tycoon trying to win the rat race or the societal influence peddler trying to claw his way to the top of the heap. He believes that the value of his soul is measured solely by the prestige attained in his career, much of which was instilled by his mother. When they first meet, James has that sort of instant horniness which I can only describe as lust, however lust almost is always symptomatic of a deeper connection in these stories, and I suppose it occasionally is in real life, but not usually. Eleanor is attracted to him and suppresses it, and James suppresses it, because he has a pretty good idea she is out to sabotage him in some way. The sexual tension swirls around for awhile until James walks in on her rummaging through his bedroom as she looks for evidence to incriminate him. Trying to extricate herself from a sticky situation, she decides to try to seduce him, but seduction becomes something more. They both end up brooding over increased sexual tension for awhile, and then the novel moves into a fairly protracted courtship phase. James goes out of his way to help a couple of people and Eleanor sees that he must have an honorable side under his rather rough exterior, while James appreciates that she isn't like the sycophantic cardboard people he usually encounters in political life and is fascinated that she seems to have a will of her own and something real in her. A fair amount of time is spent on them getting to know each other and there aren't really any high-flying adventures or flashy scenes until the end of the book, which is why I describe it as an "honest romance." After they become lovers, Eleanor does find the "evidence" she was seeking and becomes convinced she's been romancing a monster. This event is foreshadowed rather heavily essentially since the beginning of the novel, and I could see it coming a mile away, so I don't really consider it a spoiler. She runs to Cam because she considers him the most likely adversary of James (Lord Leath) due to his involvement in ensuring Sophie ended up with her beloved, who is nearly penniless and ill-regarded, rather than the rich suitor James had chosen for her. Cam suspects all is not as it seems, and the situation between Eleanor and James ends up getting resolved by some hot make up sex in Cam's library. (That library seems to see quite a bit of action) For reasons unknown to me, I ended up getting turned on by their second round in there. Perhaps the previous book has impared my ability to control it or something. Anyway, events are then set up to go after the real culprit, and James ends up demonstrating his love in a rather dramatic way that puts him in roughly the same league as Cam by the end of the book.

@Neil Would you PLEASE quit giving away the plots, you've done this multiple times in this thread, have you not seen the requests to hide the spoilers? :curse:

Back
Top Bottom