Russia Begins Operations in Syria: End Game for the US Empire?

Windmill knight said:
Thebull said:
_http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40413563
Here we go again looks like their at it again. Seems to be across the major uk news channels this morning. They really do seem to be pushing for a confrontation again.

Yes, this is looking bad. Nikki Haley tweeted today:

_http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/white-house-syria-planning-chemical-attack/story?id=48295166

Any further attacks done to the people of Syria will be blamed on Assad, but also on Russia & Iran who support him killing his own people.

Preemptively assigning blames! It's nothing short of an invitation to the "rebels" to make a false flag chemical attack. Surely they know that is the exact effect their statements will have?
Interestingly, South Front wrote
However, it looks that the Pentagon and the US State Department have been suprised by the White House announcement.

The Los Angeles Times (source):

“Several State Department officials typically involved in coordinating such announcements said they were caught completely off guard by the warning, which didn’t appear to be discussed in advance with other national security agencies. Typically, the State Department, the Pentagon and U.S. intelligence agencies would all be consulted before the White House issued a declaration sure to ricochet across foreign capitals.”
The New York Times (source):

“Several military officials were caught off guard by the statement from President Trump’s press secretary, but it was unclear how closely held the intelligence regarding a potential chemical attack was.”
It looks White house is out of sync with Pentagon. Interestingly Pentagon made statement of "backing out"( for what its worth) after Russian reaction to Su-22 downing last week. Israeli's are bombing out SAA frantically.Does different factions in deep state fighting among themselves?

Laura said:
Ant22 said:
Laura said:
A few tweaks, and this is a good short commentary article for sott. (...)

I'm really sorry if this is obvious and I'm just not getting it but would you like me - or angelburst29 - to do something with it? I.e. did you mean any specific tweaks and a specific SOTT article you'd like it to be posted under?

Just look at what you wrote as a post as an article. Tweak for publication (not much needed), and maybe include follow-up comment as part of the text.

I'm totally happy to do it Laura but I've never posted anything on Sott apart from comments under articles. I don't know how to post an actual article and I can't seem to be able to find that option on the Sott website. Is there a manual or something like that I could read? Sorry to be a pain! :-[

Ant22 said:
Laura said:
Ant22 said:
Laura said:
A few tweaks, and this is a good short commentary article for sott. (...)

I'm really sorry if this is obvious and I'm just not getting it but would you like me - or angelburst29 - to do something with it? I.e. did you mean any specific tweaks and a specific SOTT article you'd like it to be posted under?

Just look at what you wrote as a post as an article. Tweak for publication (not much needed), and maybe include follow-up comment as part of the text.

I'm totally happy to do it Laura but I've never posted anything on Sott apart from comments under articles. I don't know how to post an actual article and I can't seem to be able to find that option on the Sott website. Is there a manual or something like that I could read? Sorry to be a pain! :-[

Looks like it is already up on Sott: SOTT Exclusive: Polish government decides to destroy Soviet-era monuments on day dedicated to the soldiers who defeated Nazism

Ant22 said:

For instances where someone who is not a sott editor wants to submit something they've written, simply email sott@sott.net with the article either included in the email or attached as a Word doc. Of course, if you want to join the SOTT Working Group you can also do that. Just send an email to the one above requesting to join, and once you've joined you do indeed get a manual for how to post articles. But that is totally up to you! Just my opinion, but I think you'd enjoy it and be good at it!

seek10 said:
It looks White house is out of sync with Pentagon. Interestingly Pentagon made statement of "backing out"( for what its worth) after Russian reaction to Su-22 downing last week. Israeli's are bombing out SAA frantically.Does different factions in deep state fighting among themselves?

US Ambassador to UN, Nikki Haley pre-blames Assad, Russia, and Iran for a future chemical weapons attack in Syria (Tweeter Storm)
Nikki Haley pre-warns Assad, Russia and Iran about a chemical attack which has not yet happened.
http://theduran.com/us-ambassador-to-the-un-nikki-haley-pre-warns-and-pre-blames-assad-russia-and-iran-for-future-chemical-weapons-attack/
Links within of the Tweets:
United States Ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley has pre-warned Assad, about a pre-planned chemical attack that he is putting together, which pre-blames Assad, Iran and Russia.

Is this the White House’s way to incentivized Saudi Arabia, Al Qaeda and ISIS to enlist the White Helmets’ expertise in staging yet another false flag Syria chemical attack?

Even the AP is calling this White House claim BS…

The White House issued a stern warning to Syrian President Bashar Assad on Monday night as it claimed “potential” evidence that Syria was preparing for another chemical weapons attack.

In an ominous statement issued with no supporting evidence or further explanation, Press Secretary Sean Spicer said the U.S. had “identified potential preparations for another chemical weapons attack by the Assad regime that would likely result in the mass murder of civilians, including innocent children.”

He said the activities were similar to preparations taken before an April 2017 attack that killed dozens of men, women and children, and warned that if “Mr. Assad conducts another mass murder attack using chemical weapons, he and his military will pay a heavy price.”

The White House offered no details on what prompted the warning and spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said she had no additional information Monday night.

Nikki Haley followed up Spicer’s statement with this Twitter warning to Assad, Russia and Iran…

Any further attacks done to the people of Syria will be blamed on Assad, but also on Russia & Iran who support him killing his own people.

Twitter users reacted to Haley’s foreshadowing of another Trump attack on Syria, as well as her hypocrisy concerning “attacks on the people of Syria”…

Nicolas said:

Oh awesome, I really like the edits in it! I couldn't help myself and commented on it only to realise I made a logical error in my comment. What I called the main point was just a side note but that's what I get for trying to write a comment while I'm on my lunch at work. I guess multitasking ain't my strength :whistle:

Beau said:
(...) For instances where someone who is not a sott editor wants to submit something they've written, simply email sott@sott.net with the article either included in the email or attached as a Word doc. Of course, if you want to join the SOTT Working Group you can also do that. Just send an email to the one above requesting to join, and once you've joined you do indeed get a manual for how to post articles. But that is totally up to you! Just my opinion, but I think you'd enjoy it and be good at it!

Thanks Beau! I'm being very inquisitive today but what does a Sott editor do? I'm already in the SOTT translation group and I really like it but although I can trust my command of my mother tongue I'm not sure if I have sufficient skills to help with editing :)

c.a. said:
seek10 said:

US Ambassador to UN, Nikki Haley pre-blames Assad, Russia, and Iran for a future chemical weapons attack in Syria (Tweeter Storm)
Nikki Haley pre-warns Assad, Russia and Iran about a chemical attack which has not yet happened.
http://theduran.com/us-ambassador-to-the-un-nikki-haley-pre-warns-and-pre-blames-assad-russia-and-iran-for-future-chemical-weapons-attack/
Links within of the Tweets:

United States Ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley has pre-warned Assad, about a pre-planned chemical attack that he is putting together, which pre-blames Assad, Iran and Russia.

Is this the White House’s way to incentivized Saudi Arabia, Al Qaeda and ISIS to enlist the White Helmets’ expertise in staging yet another false flag Syria chemical attack?

Even the AP is calling this White House claim BS…

The White House issued a stern warning to Syrian President Bashar Assad on Monday night as it claimed “potential” evidence that Syria was preparing for another chemical weapons attack.

Also, from Sputnik today:

https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201706271054997044-usa-syria-chemical-attack-preparations/

US Identifies Syrian Government Potential Preparations for Chemical Attack

The White House says that Washington sees Syrian President Bashar Assad’s government as potentially getting ready to carry out a chemical weapons attack.

WASHINGTON (Sputnik) – Washington sees Syrian President Bashar Assad’s government as potentially getting ready to carry out a chemical weapons attack, the White House said in a statement Tuesday.

“The United States has identified potential preparations for another chemical weapons attack by the Assad regime that would likely result in the mass murder of civilians, including innocent children. The activities are similar to preparations the regime made before its April 4, 2017 chemical weapons attack,” the statement said.

“As we have previously stated, the United States is in Syria to eliminate the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria [Daesh]. If, however, Mr. Assad conducts another mass murder attack using chemical weapons, he and his military will pay a heavy price,” the statement added.

Is this some sort of journalist vagueness or something? "Identifying potential preparations" can mean anything. Assad could have been photographed taking an aspirin, which happens to be a chemical substance. People who accept such poorly stitched literary creativity as evidence without ever asking "what evidence specifically?" will likely end up paying a high price for their ignorance. If this madness goes on (and there are no signs of it stopping) one day such quality of evidence will be used against them to take away their own rights from them. And no one will ask "what specific evidence" either.

42 civilians killed in US-led coalition new massacre in al-Mayadeen city in Deir Ezzor
27 June، 2017
http://sana.sy/en/?p=108886
Deir Ezzor, SANA- At least 42 civilians have been killed in a series of airstrikes by the US- led international coalition on al-Mayadeen city in the eastern country of Deir Ezzor.

Identical local and media sources said that warplanes of the so-called international coalition launched airstrikes on al-Mayadeen city on Tuesday, killing 42 civilians and injuring others.

On June 19, 12 civilians from one family were killed in a massacre committed by the coalition in Tal al-Shayer area near the Syrian-Iraqi borders in the southeastern countryside of Hasaka.

On June 9, the coalition also shelled the western parts of Raqqa city and the area between al-Mashlab and al-Sinaa neighborhoods, in addition to al-Sabahi neighborhood, using the internationally banned white phosphorus bombs, killing 17 persons.

Since it was illegally formed outside the jurisdiction of the U.N. Security Council in 2014, under the pretext of fighting ISIS, the alliance has been committing massacres against innocent civilians, killing hundreds of people and injuring others in the countryside of Raqqa, Deir Ezzor, Hasaka and Aleppo.

The coalition has failed to stop the spread of ISIS, making no real results on the ground due to its lack of serious intent and its lack of coordination with the Syrian government.

Shaza/Ghossoun

White House ‘warning’ of ‘imminent threat of chemical attack in Syria’ is phoney. Here’s why
http://theduran.com/white-house-warning-imminent-threat-chemical-attack-syria-phoney/
Snip with Many links within:
The White House 'warning' about an imminent Syrian chemical attack is phoney and not intended seriously. It is a panicked reaction to Seymour Hersh's exposure of the truth behind the alleged chemical attack in Khan Sheikhoun which appeared a few hours earlier in Welt.

A few hours ago the German publication Welt published Seymour Hersh’s exposure of the Khan Sheikhoun chemical attack.

In this report Hersh says that the chemical attack on Khan Sheikhoun never happened. The Jihadis in control of Khan Sheikhoun used the effect of a toxic cloud released by the Syrian bombing of a building which hosted a meeting of important Jihadi leaders in order to claim that there had been a chemical attack. The attack was however conventional, and the toxic cloud was caused by the release of chemicals stored in the building’s basement.

Hersh also reports that the Russians had informed the US of this bombing raid in advance, and that the US intelligence and defence bureaucracy was aware that there had been no chemical attack. However they were unable to get the President to accept this. After seeing television pictures of the aftermath of the attack he became convinced that a chemical attack had taken place and no amount of persuasion by his intelligence and defence officials could dissuade him.

An attack on Syria’s Al-Shayrat air base was accordingly launched, supposedly in retaliation. However the attack was carefully calibrated to ensure that its effect was minimal and in the event, because of the mis-function of some of the cruise missiles’ guidance systems, it was even less effective than was planned.

BREAKING: Syrian President al-Assad visits Russian airbase
A demonstration of solidarity between Syria and Russia
http://theduran.com/breaking-syrian-president-al-assad-visits-russian-airbase/

https://youtu.be/mEThBEJ874E

Ant22 said:
Thanks Beau! I'm being very inquisitive today but what does a Sott editor do? I'm already in the SOTT translation group and I really like it but although I can trust my command of my mother tongue I'm not sure if I have sufficient skills to help with editing :)

Your command of English is fine from what I can see. SOTT editing consists of doing things not that differently than you did here - taking stories from new source(s), putting them into the editor (that can really only be shown, not explained but it's not difficult), commenting on them if necessary and writing a headline. There's even a video showing how the whole process of adding an article to SOTT works. If it interests you, you can try it and if you don't like it you can say so and that will be fine. You don't even have to find your own articles if you don't want, there's a Google doc that is constantly updated with links to stories that can be put up. But of course if you prefer to stick with translating, that's totally fine too. It's up to you!

Chemical attack warning signals another US strike in Syria: Analyst
PressTV News Videos
Published on Jun 28, 2017

https://youtu.be/a5-o_5vh1Kw?ecver=2
An ominous warning to the Syrian government against staging a chemical weapons attack indicates that the United States could be on the verge of another military strike inside Syria, an analyst say.

BREAKING: Israel attacks Syrian Arab Army AGAIN (32 mins ago)
http://theduran.com/breaking-israel-attacks-syrian-arab-army/
For the third time in less than a week, Israeli forces have targeted Syrian troops in the Golan Heights.
Israeli jets attached Syrian troops in Al-Quneitra where the Syrian Arab Army has been making significant gains against what remains of Al-Qaeda forces in south-western Syria.
It is not yet know if there are any casualties from the attack.

Damage Control or No Control? Trump Tees up Another Syria Sarin Hoax

http://russia-insider.com/en/politics/damage-control-or-no-control-trump-tees-another-syria-sarin-hoax/ri20223
Either Donald Trump has a pathological hatred for Iran or he has zero control over his National Security Team, his military chain of command and his State Department
Snip with many links within :
Donald Trump’s Presidency is spiraling out of control.
Last night’s surprise announcement by the White House is indicative of one of two frightening possibilities.

Either Donald Trump is completely off the rails in his hatred of Iran or he has zero control over his National Security Team, his military chain of command and his State Department.

It could easily be both.

The key is U.N. Ambassador and Waffle House waitress-in-waiting Nikki Haley pounding her shoe on the table this morning. She is under strict orders from Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to not speak unless he approves it.

So, either Haley ran her mouth in defiance of her boss or her boss truly believes this latest round of ‘intelligence’ about Assad’s army preparing another batch of Sarin gas to use on his own people.

Something no one, anywhere, has ever proven it has done.

The big problem is that the State Department itself was blind-sided by this statement by the White House. This is pre-loading the narrative for the next false flag that will be used as a casus belli to escalate a war in Syria that many U.S. military commanders are not happy about.

As the narrative that the U.S. and Israel are solely interested in fighting ISIS in Syria continues to crumble, the rhetoric coming from both parties has to escalate lest it collapse completely. When lying on the world stage the mantra is ‘go big or go home.’

Nikki HaleyVerified United States Ambassador to the United Nations
@nikkihaley 2h
Ali Haydar Shalom‏ @davudov_34 1h1 hour ago
Replying to @nikkihaley
DDVY26EWsAA_Hxi.jpg

The global community must come together urgently to condemn and prevent any further #US aggression in #Syria
_https://twitter.com/nikkihaley/status/880138295572877312

Today
Syrian War Report – June 28, 2017: US Launches Campaign To Justify Military Action Against Syria

https://youtu.be/2v11QXkdKXc?ecver=2

Syrian Electricity Minister Mohammad Zuhair Kharboutli reports that the recent shelling of the Muhradah power plant located in Syria's western Hama province by terrorists, has made inoperative four power units of the facility.

Terrorists' Shelling Partially Disables Power Plant in Syria's Hama Province
https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201706281055062719-terrorists-shelling-hama-plant/

The recent shelling of the Muhradah power plant located in Syria's western Hama province by terrorists, has made inoperative four power units of the facility, Syrian Electricity Minister Mohammad Zuhair Kharboutli told Sputnik on Wednesday.

"Terrorist groups have launched several missiles from the area to the north of the Ltamenah village in the Hama province targeting the Muhradah power plant that resulted in shut-down of four power-generating units," Kharboutli said.

The official added that the terrorists continued the shelling and the maintenance personnel would start repairing the facility immediately after the end of the attack.

US reconnaissance aircraft have sharply increased the amount of flights over Syria, Lebanese Al Mayadeen television channel reported on Wednesday, citing its sources.

US Reconnaissance Planes Intensify Flights Over Syria
https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201706281055051862-us-reconnaissance-flights-syria/

According to the outlet's source, the plane belongs to the US Navy, and such unusual activity may mean that it is preparing for some kind of action.

According to Al Mayadeen, the same plane was in Syria’s airspace before the US strike on positions of the Syrian army in Deir ez-Zor in September 2016.

In addition to the above-mentioned plane, two more reconnaissance aircraft, whose tasks are to intercept radio signals, detect enemy radar, and transmit target designations, are concurrently in the air above Syria.

On Tuesday, the White House said Washington had identified potential plans for a chemical attack by Syrian President Bashar Assad’s forces similar to preparations that, allegedly, would have been made prior to the April 4 chemical incident in Idlib. Washington warned that a chemical attack in Syria would result in the mass murder of civilians and said that Assad would "pay a heavy price" if he conducts the attack.

The US Army and defense contractor Boeing have joined the Israeli Air Force in investigating a crack found earlier in June in the the rear rotor of an IAF AH-64 Apache helicopter.

Apache Rotor Crack Now Has Attention of US Army, Israeli Air Force and Boeing
https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201706271055026749-us-army-israeli-apache-investigation/

The three parties are reportedly working together to find what caused the crack, which could potentially pose a safety issue during flights.

"It’s a very thorough investigation," a defense source told Defense News. "We’re checking all the rotors, and that could take another few weeks … At this point, we can’t point with certainty as to what caused the crack. It could be a matter of imprecise production or flaws in the layers of [the blade’s] complex material."

The damaged rotor is undergoing a series of tests by the force’s central maintenance unit.

Israel’s fleet of Apaches has been grounded since June 13, when the investigation began, and the Tel Aviv says the aircraft will not become operational again until the inspections have concluded.

IAF commander Maj. Gen. Amir Eshel made the decision to ground the fleet, which includes a combination of A- and D-model Apaches, the oldest of which is 31 years old.

Eshel said at the time, "The plan is to conduct a comprehensive investigation in order to make a decision for how to proceed with the [Apache] system,” according to the Times of Israel.

The investigation in regard to the crack that was found in the blade of the tail rotor is still underway," an Israeli military spokeswoman said on Monday. "The Apache Squadrons will continue being grounded until the investigation is completed and all the aircraft are approved for flight. The findings of the investigation are openly being analyzed with senior commanders in the Air Force."

During the Second Lebanon War in 2006, two crewmembers were killed after a rotor malfunction caused an IAF AH-64D helicopter to crash. Apaches were an important component in the conflict, in which the IDF targeted Hezbollah militants.

Terrorists' defense lines have collapsed as the Syrian army started clashes with al-Nusra Front (also known as Fatah al-Sham Front or the Levant Liberation Board) in Quneitra.

Al-Nusra's Defense Lines Shattered in Quneitra after Failed Attacks against Army
http://en.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13960408000323

The Syrian army soldiers engaged in heavy clashes with al-Nusra terrorists who had attacked the army positions near al-Ba'ath city in the outskirts of Quneitra.

Simultaneous with Israeli fighter jets' attacks against the army positions in Quneitra, the al-Nusra could advance in the region again but the Syrian troops regained control of the lost areas in counter attacks.

A military source said that the Syrian army has seized back control over all the regions occupied by the terrorists in collaboration with Israel in the past few days, adding that they are now in control of the situation in the region.

He added that over 50 terrorists have been killed and 150 others wounded during the recent clashes.

Two al-Nusra commanders namely Tariq Mansoud Mohammed Shahadat and Abu Osameh were killed and a large number of vehicles, weapons and military equipment of militants were smashed during the clashes.

The Syrian army dispatched a large number of its special forces and state-of-the-art military equipment to accelerate anti-ISIL operations in Eastern Hama.

Army Sends Special Forces, Advanced Military Equipment to Hama
http://en.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13960408000467

A military source said that two other convoys of Desert Hawks will also join the Syrian soldiers soon to start the new phase of the operations in Hama.
The source added that a number of T-90 tanks have also been sent to Hama to be used for anti-ISIL operations.

Days ago, hundreds of fresh forces arrived in Eastern Hama to help the Syrian army in its anti-ISIL campaign, as pro-government forces started the first phase of an offensive to liberate Uqayrabat town, the main bastion of the Takfiri terrorists in the region.

Turkey dispatched a large military convoy to Northern Syria to continue operations in the region as the Ankara-backed forces attacked the Kurdish-dominated Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) positions.

Turkey Sends Military Convoy to Syria
http://en.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13960408000605

The Turkish army dispatched its military convoy to Northern Aleppo after conflicts intensified between the Ankara forces and the SDF.

After the Kurds stormed the positions of the Ankara-backed Free Syrian Army (FSA) in Mar'anaz region South of Azaz, the Turkish Army's artillery and missile units shelled the positions of the Kurdish fighters in Northern Syria.

As dozens of Turkish army tanks arrived in the region to spearhead a fresh round of military operation aimed at connecting the Northern Aleppo pocket with the militant heartland in Idlib, Kurdish forces in the Efrin region are on high alert.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced on Wednesday that Ankara is ready to launch a new military campaign similar to the Operation Euphrates Shield in Northern Syria.

Weapons produced in the Jewish nation were seized by the Syrian Arab Army (SAA) in the city of Homs on Wednesday after security forces discovered secret ammunition stockpiles across the former rebel stronghold of Al-Waer, an outer suburb located on the northwestern perimeter of the provincial capital.

In pictures: Syrian Army confiscates Israeli armaments left behind by rebels in Homs
https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/pictures-syrian-army-confiscates-israeli-armaments-left-behind-rebels-homs/

According to photos obtained by Al-Masdar News, the SAA captured dozens of anti-tanks missiles along with tons of ammunition and explosives which had been abandoned by evacuated Islamist insurgents. Some of the weapons bore Israeli inscriptions, an indication that Tel Aviv may have smuggled armaments to opposition forces in Homs. Close-up pictures of the newly captured Israeli weapons:

Late last month, the last batch of rebel militants departed the Al-Waer neighborhood for Idlib, thus restoring all of Homs city under government control for the first time since 2011.

Syria and Israel still remain at a state of war following three major wars in the 20th century. Over the past week alone, the Israeli Air Force has conducted three separate raids on the SAA in the Golan Heights.

On Wednesday, a huge explosion rocked the ISIS-held town of Jallayn in southern Syria, resulting in the death of at least six jihadist commanders who were gathered for a meeting to discuss a coming offensive in western Daraa.

Entire ISIS leadership in Daraa pocket wiped out by mysterious assassination
https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/entire-isis-leadership-daraa-pocket-wiped-mysterious-assassination/

Reports regarding the incident are conflicting; some indicate a US warplane was involved while others claim a car bomb violently interrupted the meeting.

Nevertheless, six ISIS field commanders were confirmed dead due to the attack, namely: Abu Hamza Al-Komah, Abu Madeen, Abu Qassourah, Abu Oubidah Al-Shami, Ahmad Al-Ghazi and Abu Hashem.

The latter jihadist warlord represents the leading Islamic State Emir for Jaish Khalid Ibn Al-Walid, a jihadist group that swore allegiance to Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi back in 2014.

Due to a surprise blitz offensive earlier this year, Jaish Khalid Ibn Al-Walid controls some 25 villages and towns that are anchored on the border with Israel and Jordan in southwestern Syria. The jihadist group regularly clashes with rebel factions and is known to enforce brutal religious laws on civilians living under its rule. Click here for a map of the region.

New reports regarding a massive Turkish Army build-up in northern Aleppo have emerged after military sources confirmed to local outlets that a large-scale offensive was brewing, aimed at driving the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) out of the Efrin region.

Turkish Army offensive to begin this weekend to expel Kurds from northern Aleppo
https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/turkish-army-offensive-begin-weekend-expel-kurds-northern-aleppo/

Two days ago, Al-Masdar News revealed that dozens of Turkish tanks were pouring into the northern rebel-held countryside of Aleppo while artillery units had already begun a barrage on SDF frontline villages.

Although other NATO allies are opposed to any such aggression, the Turkish Armed Forces hope to smash through some 30 kilometers of Kurdish-held territory and build a corridor between the northern Aleppo pocket and Idlib rebel heartland.

According to a Turkish military source speaking to a local outlet, the primary targets of the invasion will be Menagh Airbase, Tall Rifaat and Efrin city itself.

Yesterday, the US Army patrolled the northern Raqqa border town of Tall Abyad amid fears that a second Turkish offensive was to begin there.

An official with the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), the coalition of US-backed militants with the stated goal of creating a secular, democratic, federalized Syria, said that the SDF sees a "big possibility of open, fierce confrontation" with Turkish forces in northwestern Syria. This comes after the two sides exchanged fire on Wednesday.

US-Backed Syrian Fighters Warn of Open Warfare with Turkish Forces
https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201706291055097692-us-backed-syrians-turkey-squabble/

The senior official, Naser Haj Mansour, told Reuters that the SDF would confront the Turks "if they try to go beyond the known lines." Turkish forces are there to support anti-government, primarily Islamist Syrian rebels.

Mansour went on to say that a Turkish attack against SDF-controlled areas would do "great harm" to the SDF's efforts against Daesh. The two factions are currently embroiled in a struggle over the city of Raqqa, Daesh's primary stronghold in Syria.

An SDF victory would likely herald the end of Daesh as an organization able to control territory. Mansour said that the SDF intended to totally encircle the city, trapping Daesh within. "There is a plan to impose a complete siege, but if this will take a day or two days, I can't say," he said.

Raqqa may be encircled and Daesh on its way out, but the deterioration of the uneasy détente between the American and Turkish blocs may begin a new wave of violence in Syria. On Thursday, the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG), the spearhead faction in the SDF, created a military blockade to impede Turkish progress towards the Afrin district in northern Aleppo.

"The Kurdish people in Afrin region have suffered a lot under heavy bombardment by Turkey and allied Islamists," a YPG officer told ARA News.

"We will respond to any Turkish attacks on Rojava-Northern Syria. The Turkish troops and Turkey-backed Islamists will be a main target for our forces in the area."

Department of Defense Credits the White House for Lack of Syria Chemical Attack
_http://theantimedia.org/syria-chemical-attack-department-defense-white-house/

Monday night’s out-of-nowhere statement from the White House, claiming a Syrian chemical weapon attack was imminent and promising to make Syria pay a heavy price must’ve been successful, Secretary of Defense James Mattis reasoned, since no chemical attack happened after all. The White House statement claimed there were signs of preparation, offering no evidence that was really the case, then claiming it would kill “innocent children” and threatening retaliation. The statement was made with no discussion with either the State Department or Pentagon, puzzling many top officials as to what they thought they were doing.
Russia criticized the US over the threat, and Syria said they’d never had any intention of carrying out such an attack in the first place, which only adds to the questions about the White House drawing the conclusion that such an attack was coming, and rushing out a content-light statement on it. Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley concurred, claiming Trump had “saved many innocent lives” with the statement, though again offering no details.
Either way, Mattis and Haley seem happy enough with the results. Most days go by in Syria with no chemical weapons attacks, of course, but on this rare occasion US officials seem to feel like they can take credit for that fact, despite another idle US threat clearly being wholly unrelated to the result.

This has got to be one of the saddest things I have ever witnessed coming out of the US government. I am not even joking.

whitecoast said:
Department of Defense Credits the White House for Lack of Syria Chemical Attack
_http://theantimedia.org/syria-chemical-attack-department-defense-white-house/

Monday night’s out-of-nowhere statement from the White House, claiming a Syrian chemical weapon attack was imminent and promising to make Syria pay a heavy price must’ve been successful, Secretary of Defense James Mattis reasoned, since no chemical attack happened after all. The White House statement claimed there were signs of preparation, offering no evidence that was really the case, then claiming it would kill “innocent children” and threatening retaliation. The statement was made with no discussion with either the State Department or Pentagon, puzzling many top officials as to what they thought they were doing.
Russia criticized the US over the threat, and Syria said they’d never had any intention of carrying out such an attack in the first place, which only adds to the questions about the White House drawing the conclusion that such an attack was coming, and rushing out a content-light statement on it. Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley concurred, claiming Trump had “saved many innocent lives” with the statement, though again offering no details.
Either way, Mattis and Haley seem happy enough with the results. Most days go by in Syria with no chemical weapons attacks, of course, but on this rare occasion US officials seem to feel like they can take credit for that fact, despite another idle US threat clearly being wholly unrelated to the result.

This has got to be one of the saddest things I have ever witnessed coming out of the US government. I am not even joking.

I thought it was satire when I first read that. Paraphrasing Mattis: "Syria was about to use chemical weapons. And the fact that they didn't just proves that they were going to." :shock: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom