Sam Vaknin - Narcissist or "I, Psychopath"?

obyvatel said:
Hi Sparkster,
Welcome to the forum. In your comments above there are some assumptions which contradict certain research findings about psychopathology. You may want to read George Simon's "Character Disturbance" and Lobaczewski's "Political Ponerology" which are in the recommended reading list provided to you in your introduction thread.

Thank you, I will check them out. However, there are also many contradictions in the very research findings about psychopathology (which makes it all the more difficult to understand). I am actually quite curious as to what contradictions you are referring to, so I will definitely check out these materials.

Its a well known fact that narcissists collect victims.

The narcissistic denial of reliance of the other can be detrimental to the other.
He / she collects the victims. His / hers care for victims gave him / her - at least for a while - a feeling of being a very significant person.

This is just what we see with Sam Vaknin. His credentials is a joke, his relation to his girlfriend is about control and violence. He lives in the glow of his films and writings. So typical for the narcissist he invest in an outer object (film, book, writings) and lives in the glow of light from the people manipulated to believe he gives them advice.

If you listen to his YouTube videos, its just bullshit. Take his description of what a covert Narcissist is, witch he says is a person living with a narcissist. Of course its not, but people are manipulated by his false grandiosity to believe it, and they adore him like mindguards of group dynamics.

The man is fraud. Try contradict him and he blocks you form his videos.

Rune said:
Its a well known fact that narcissists collect victims.

The narcissistic denial of reliance of the other can be detrimental to the other.
He / she collects the victims. His / hers care for victims gave him / her - at least for a while - a feeling of being a very significant person.

This is just what we see with Sam Vaknin. His credentials is a joke, his relation to his girlfriend is about control and violence. He lives in the glow of his films and writings. So typical for the narcissist he invest in an outer object (film, book, writings) and lives in the glow of light from the people manipulated to believe he gives them advice.

If you listen to his YouTube videos, its just bullshit. Take his description of what a covert Narcissist is, witch he says is a person living with a narcissist. Of course its not, but people are manipulated by his false grandiosity to believe it, and they adore him like mindguards of group dynamics.

The man is fraud. Try contradict him and he blocks you form his videos.

Yep and his idea of Healthy Nism keeps the phenomena of adoring one's self-reflection existing like a virus infection, OSIT.

Welcome to the forum! You're invited to stop by the Newbies area and say hello. Can you also tell us how you found the forum and if you're familiar with Laura's work?

I have read SOME of the posts here, and although I agree with some viewpoints on Sam Vaknin, I have to dissent. He himself does purport to be an expert on the issues of narcissism/psychopath just by being himself, which in fact may give him creditably. Just because he doesn't have all the creditably issued by a college with a signature and seal doesn't mean he is a fraud. Colleges are not all they are cracked up to be these days, neither are some counselors who have "papers." Who better to know a psychopath, narc, sadist, etc than the one that is. I am reminded of the story of the guy who the movie, Catch Me if You Can, was based off of. In the end, this man worked with law enforcement to help hunt down future crooks because he himself new the mental pathways and tricks. Something an honest, God-fearing man or woman wouldn't necessary be wise to.

Sam Vaknin lives in his own grandiose world, yes, but he has helped me see the web of lies and illusions I've been in, starting with my own father then to two subsequent marriages and divorces from such men. At least he does help others, in his weird twisted way, yes, none the less it has been eye-opening. His advice to on "no contact" with the Narc is keeping me steady from going back with his attempts to correspond offer gifts,etc. Sam is spot on with that! So please, if anything that should be said here, is that you SHOULDN'T through the baby out with the bathwater.

Welcome to the forum joynjrny. Please introduce yourself in our Newbies section.

joynjrny said:
I have read SOME of the posts here, and although I agree with some viewpoints on Sam Vaknin, I have to dissent. He himself does purport to be an expert on the issues of narcissism/psychopath just by being himself, which in fact may give him creditably. Just because he doesn't have all the creditably issued by a college with a signature and seal doesn't mean he is a fraud. Colleges are not all they are cracked up to be these days, neither are some counselors who have "papers." Who better to know a psychopath, narc, sadist, etc than the one that is. I am reminded of the story of the guy who the movie, Catch Me if You Can, was based off of. In the end, this man worked with law enforcement to help hunt down future crooks because he himself new the mental pathways and tricks. Something an honest, God-fearing man or woman wouldn't necessary be wise to.

Sam Vaknin lives in his own grandiose world, yes, but he has helped me see the web of lies and illusions I've been in, starting with my own father then to two subsequent marriages and divorces from such men. At least he does help others, in his weird twisted way, yes, none the less it has been eye-opening. His advice to on "no contact" with the Narc is keeping me steady from going back with his attempts to correspond offer gifts,etc. Sam is spot on with that! So please, if anything that should be said here, is that you SHOULDN'T through the baby out with the bathwater.

I'm wondering, have you watched the film I, Psychopath? If so, what are your thoughts on his actions, especially towards the director, in that film?

Finding free money couldn't make me happier than finding this post!
It has been with a growing sense of discomfort that I have watched Mr. Vaknin's videos for the past several weeks. My uneasiness does not come only from discovering my own possible narcissistic tendencies, but little by little, finding unforgivable, miserable traits in almost everyone I know. Who in Mr. Vaknin's world is not despicable?
So the questionable credentials themselves are not necessarily a problem; some people just don't have the imprimatur of a top university or respected institution and still are brilliant. (Although the tendency to buy credentials and advertise them is troubling, to say the least.)
Most of all, I am bothered by an apparent underlying condemnation of the human being, an assumed unassailability of informationa condescending tone of opinion closed to disagreement, and what seems -- ultimately -- to be a true dislike of people.

sams a psychopath, he is very very good at spootiing narc traits in neurotypicals and dwelling on them, even taking personality traits and bending them into the lavbel of narcissism.
I have a brother just like him, your utter distatse of vaknin is indicative that you do indeed like people,. sam doesnt, you would find yourslef agreeing wiuth him whether you realise it or not, thats how they are, they impress a perspective on you, sams is misery, he wants you to fear him, think him cleverer than you...
hes very very good at it, appaering to be honest one minute then snarling ajd revealing his motive all along is to hurt you..
you have to trust hm on that it is,
stay away from sam, read up on dr hare.
read this.
you dont have atube brain, you may dislike and be diappointed by people but you dont have an overwhelming desire to hurt tme for no other reason than it sexually excites you.
thats what sam vaknin is, he wont tell you that about himslef.
that when he sees the pain he has caused=- if he read your post like i just did?
it would literally excite him both sexually and inflame his "duping dleight".
the trhill they get from any interactuion they percieve themselves as winning at .
as a specimen?
im glad they caught and identified him.
but as a person, dont trust a word he says...half truth is hisspeciality and minimisation and misdirection of what he is.
which in lay terms?
is monster who spreads misery disguised as considered thoughtful insight.

I agree that we have the right to critique other people's work. I believe the fascination so many persons have with Sam Vaknin is that he is self a professed narcissist, and blatantly honest in his perceptions of his own reality. He is clear and forthcoming on his background and when listening to him find his descriptions of this disorder strikingly the same to current experts such as Ross Rosenberg. It is apparent his level of intelligence and efforts on working with other narcissists. I never took his work as being licensed, however honest perceptions of a narcissist's view after multiple dealings of narcissists and the field of study values his honest work. I agree that we must encourage the bravery that those who truly suffer be given the opportunity to speak out in books, etc… I believe he set the ground work, and has encouraged others to come out. How else are we ever going to truly understand this disorder, as narcissists are notoriously in denial they have a problem?

Back
Top Bottom