Saturated Fats, Cholesterol Lard and Vitamin D

You can also buy a big quantity of pork fat and render the lard yourself. Just put it in a big pot on low heat and leave it until the fat is all melted out and there are just some cracklin's floating around in it (which you take out).

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try in the coming weeks. I'm off to find a good local butcher or source of pork fat and then some containers to store my lard.

Right about NOW, anybody who can, pick up some of those 5 gallon buckets of lard, sealed buckets of buckwheat flour, salt, sardines in olive oil, other canned meats if you can get it without a bunch of chemicals, bags of quinoa, sodium bicarbonate. However much you can afford. Don't bother with rice or other grains but dried beans, if they are soaked, will work in a pinch.

Laura said:
Right about NOW, anybody who can, pick up some of those 5 gallon buckets of lard, sealed buckets of buckwheat flour, salt, sardines in olive oil, other canned meats if you can get it without a bunch of chemicals, bags of quinoa, sodium bicarbonate. However much you can afford. Don't bother with rice or other grains but dried beans, if they are soaked, will work in a pinch.

Doesn't the lard need to be frozen to keep longer than 6 weeks? Need a mighty big freezer for a 5-gallon bucket!

Mrs. Peel said:
Laura said:

Doesn't the lard need to be frozen to keep longer than 6 weeks? Need a mighty big freezer for a 5-gallon bucket!

It keeps quite well under vacuum sealing.

Laura said:

Forgive my asking, but what is the context? Is this about the crop failures?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Finduilas

Finduilas495 said:
Laura said:

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Finduilas

I also caught the "NOW" part and am a bit concerned.

I haven't done any canvassing yet but I have dealt with Pleasant Hill Grain for my dry grains needs.
This link is for buckwheat in sealed buckets: http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/buy_buckwheat_purchase_organic_buckwheat_bulk.aspx

Note that this is buckwheat, _NOT_ buckwheat flour. I think it keeps longer if it isn't yet ground up into flour. Griding equipment also sold on the site.
The price includes the sealed bucket (in mylar and with oxygen absorbers) _and_ shipping.
They also have quinoa. And canned meats (though not sure if the canning is chemical free).

Just caught up to this thread earlier. Thank you Michael Martin for the link, those buckets look like they will last a while. I ordered everything except the sardines. I'm going to see about going to a local wholesale grocer to get them. I also got the buckwheat flour in Arrowhead Mills paper bag packages because I couldn't find any sealed buckets of flour.

I found out recently that Bob's Red Mill buckwheat flour isn't gluten free. It even says on the back it's processed in a wheat facility. But I've never noticed any effects from it, not like the stabbing kidney pains I had when I tested brown rice the other day.

Finduilas495 said:
Laura said:

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Finduilas

Yup. No other reason than a reasonable estimation of the fact that the price of food is going to go a lot higher rather soon. If you have been paying attention to the signs, you know this; don't have to ask the Cs! I figure that we have about three years of this nonsense before things sort out one way or the other. Either we'll all be gonzerooni or something will turn in our favor. Frankly, as things are going, I'm willing to take the first comet on the head as long as the planet gets cleansed of psychopaths. But in the meantime I'm going to prepare for the worst, hope for the best (and work like heck in that direction), and take what comes.

Laura said:
Finduilas495 said:
Laura said:

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Finduilas

Yup. No other reason than a reasonable estimation of the fact that the price of food is going to go a lot higher rather soon. If you have been paying attention to the signs, you know this; don't have to ask the Cs! I figure that we have about three years of this nonsense before things sort out one way or the other. Either we'll all be gonzerooni or something will turn in our favor. Frankly, as things are going, I'm willing to take the first comet on the head as long as the planet gets cleansed of psychopaths. But in the meantime I'm going to prepare for the worst, hope for the best (and work like heck in that direction), and take what comes.

I really love you, Laura. An I gotta say so before I get back to work and forget to. :D :love: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

Laura said:
Finduilas495 said:
Laura said:

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Finduilas

Thank you so much, Laura. Food prices in Austria, where I'm from, have already gone up, it even was a big issue on the news, and food prices in Switzerland, where I live, are traditionally high in the first place. I took a trip to Austria on Friday and got the buckwheat flower, quinoa, lard, sardines, and dried beans of several kinds. I also told my family about your advice, and we had an interesting evening trying to figure out the reason amongst us, and the food prices were the general consent.

Yes, I think we still have hope as long as there are people like you and the people on this forum in the world. I'd also like to include my family in this, because they are kind, hardworking people. And you're right, whatever happens, happens. But I want to be sure I've done whatever I can to help, whatever the outcome will be. And if a comet on the head is what it takes so the earth and sentient beings don't have to spend the next cycle with psychopaths and suffer the pain that they inflict and intend to inflict according to the C's, so be it. But I still don't fancy the idea :(

Gimpy said:
I really love you, Laura. An I gotta say so before I get back to work and forget to. :D :love: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

I second that :) The example you're setting is so incredibly helpful, whenever I'm chickening out and start to think we're doomed, I am looking at your life and what you're doing and pull myself together. Sincere thanks for that!

Finduilas495 said:
Gimpy said:

I second that :) The example you're setting is so incredibly helpful, whenever I'm chickening out and start to think we're doomed, I am looking at your life and what you're doing and pull myself together. Sincere thanks for that!

Me too, I third that. Thank you for the invaluable information. I don't know where I'd be if I didn't come here, probably still searching for answers in New Age stuff and without much of a clue.

I want to mention that I've been doing some canning recently (well, you know, putting things in jars not cans, but they call it canning). I've put up 60 some quarts of bread and butter pickles. I also made a big pot of dill pickles that fermented for a month and we tried them yesterday and they were great. I then put them in jars, processed them in the canning cooker, and now have some gigantic jars of dill pickles. Today, I have about 50 more pounds of cucumbers to process so I'll be making more pickles. We also have a huge amount of tomatoes so I'll be canning tomato sauce and I think I'll also can some picalilli which is a green tomato and onion relish. It calls for peppers in the recipe, but I'll leave that out.

I'm finding that putting our produce into long term storage this way is very satisfying. I had only four cucumber plants but I've had about 150 pounds of cucumbers out of it. We have a dozen tomato plants and they are just turning out tomatoes like crazy. We ate all the beets so didn't have any to can so I may go to market and see if I can find a large quantity so I can put up some pickled beets too. I want to find a nice barrel so I can make sauerkraut too.

We are building a smoker and have a line on a local organic farmer where we can buy a few whole pigs and a beef in a couple months so we plan on smoking and drying meats for storage.

Now, my grandmother did all this kind of stuff, but my mother never did and I'm having to read a book and sort of re-learn things. I encourage others, if they are in a situation where they can, to try it too! It is hugely satisfying to have shelves full of your own good food!

We have a gas ring for canning and a big boiler that will hold about 25 quart jars at a time and it is set up outside the kitchen so we don't have to heat up the house. I have a picnic table there for my tongs and potholders and to hold the finished jars while they cool. The girls and I do it together and it is like a social thing where we talk a lot while we are working on the vegetables. You begin to really understand how things used to be in real communities where survival through the winter depended on cooperation at harvest time.

You might want to experiment with some lacto-fermenting, too. You introduce a bacterial culture into the food that ferments it, preserves it, increases vitamin and enzyme content and tastes really good. It's all done without heating or cooking. Sally Fallon talks about it in Nourishing Traditions (although she introduces the culture by straining the whey off of yogurt, there are ways to do it dairy free). I've got fermented cucumbers, ginger carrots and sauerkraut in my fridge now and they're great as condiments. Aid in digestion, too.

Back
Top Bottom