Saturated Fats, Cholesterol Lard and Vitamin D

If anyone is looking for cooked and canned black beans or garbanzo beans with cans without the BPA lining here is a place to order them. One of the only places that I've found that doesn't use BPA lining. I called and they say that the shelf life for both black beans and garbanzo beans is three years. They also sell both in larger cans. I use both for hummus.

http://www.edenfoods.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_32&products_id=102980
http://www.edenfoods.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=102960

Bear said:
If anyone is looking for cooked and canned black beans or garbanzo beans with cans without the BPA lining here is a place to order them. One of the only places that I've found that doesn't use BPA lining. I called and they say that the shelf life for both black beans and garbanzo beans is three years. They also sell both in larger cans. I use both for hummus.

How do you make your hummus? I can't find a receipe without tahani. I'm assuming tahani is bad... :D

Laura said:
I'm finding that putting our produce into long term storage this way is very satisfying. I had only four cucumber plants but I've had about 150 pounds of cucumbers out of it. We have a dozen tomato plants and they are just turning out tomatoes like crazy. We ate all the beets so didn't have any to can so I may go to market and see if I can find a large quantity so I can put up some pickled beets too. I want to find a nice barrel so I can make sauerkraut too.

We are building a smoker and have a line on a local organic farmer where we can buy a few whole pigs and a beef in a couple months so we plan on smoking and drying meats for storage.

Now, my grandmother did all this kind of stuff, but my mother never did and I'm having to read a book and sort of re-learn things. I encourage others, if they are in a situation where they can, to try it too! It is hugely satisfying to have shelves full of your own good food!

We have a gas ring for canning and a big boiler that will hold about 25 quart jars at a time and it is set up outside the kitchen so we don't have to heat up the house. I have a picnic table there for my tongs and potholders and to hold the finished jars while they cool. The girls and I do it together and it is like a social thing where we talk a lot while we are working on the vegetables. You begin to really understand how things used to be in real communities where survival through the winter depended on cooperation at harvest time.

Yes, this can be fun work. I wish I knew more people who were interested in it.

Years ago I read the first couple books in the Foxfire series. They talk about some of this stuff - old fashioned homesteading activities. I learned a lot about what life was like back in the day. It struck me how much modern food technology has replaced the need to form communities to accomplish these simple harvest tasks. They might be saving us time and energy, but they destroyed the community activities which were integral to rural life.

I did some freezing this year, which I find to be a bit easier than canning since I'm working by myself. I got 9 quarts of green beans, which was the most I've ever got from my tiny, sun deprived garden! :D I'd like to do more if I get the time and can find some good deals on surplus veggies at the market.

Mrs. Peel said:
Bear said:

How do you make your hummus? I can't find a receipe without tahani. I'm assuming tahani is bad... :D

Tahini is sesame seeds ground up. Are you saying sesame seeds are bad? Oh, no! I have to have tahini in my hummus...it is what makes it creamy instead of dry and chalky.

Mrs. Peel said:
Bear said:

I sometimes use tahani. I think it is ok to eat. Like FireShadow said just ground up sesame seeds. Basically I just leave it out if I don't want the taste.

My basic recipe is garbanzo beans, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and then I throw in whatever I like, like a lot of spinach, lettuce, onions, sometimes tahani, sometimes cumin, other herbs etc. I eat it with carrots or just out of the bowl. Helps me get my veggies.

Last night I even made buckwheat, spinach hummus pancakes cooked in duck fat by adding about equal parts buckwheat, hummus and hemp milk. Fell apart a little bit, but tasted pretty good.

Next I plan to experiment with black bean hummus which I haven't made before.

FireShadow said:
Tahini is sesame seeds ground up. Are you saying sesame seeds are bad? Oh, no! I have to have tahini in my hummus...it is what makes it creamy instead of dry and chalky.

Um, I didn't know that. I guess sesame seeds are okay, haven't looked to see if they are on any "don't eat" list.

I guess you just throw all the ingredients in a blender? I don't have a food processor. How much of what do you use? I'm not good at winging it... :lol: Don't want to waste the ingredients if I put in the wrong proportions and it comes out horrible! :O

Mrs. Peel said:
I guess you just throw all the ingredients in a blender? I don't have a food processor. How much of what do you use? I'm not good at winging it... :lol: Don't want to waste the ingredients if I put in the wrong proportions and it comes out horrible! :O
I use a food processor. My parents bought me a cheap one long ago. Here is the recipe that I use as a base:
1 Can garbanzo beans
1/4 cup liquid from can
3-5 tbs lemon juice
1.5 tbs tahini
5 cloves garlic (more than normal, but I like it)
.5 ts salt
2 tbs olive oil (I usually use a lot more)

I put the spinach (about 4-5 cups), etc in first and chop it up and usually double or triple the recipe. Then I add the rest, but now I don't measure. I just throw it in or estimate. My hummus is a lot let firm than normal hummus. If I mess up with the proportions, I just add another can of beans. Hope this helps.

Here is my recipe - I use a blender (cheaper than a food processor) or you can mash and mix by hand (takes longer and it won't be quite as smooth, but that is how they did it before blenders :))

Hummus

Ingredients:

2 cups cooked garbanzo beans (drained)*
1/2 cup tahini
1-3 cloves garlic (roughly chopped)
2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
1-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon oregano
salt

Steps:

1. Place garbanzos, tahini, garlic, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil and perhaps a tablespoon of the cooking liquid (see note below) into blender container. Pulse, occasionally stirring between pulses. Add oregano and salt to taste.

2. If you find that the mixture is a bit too dry, you can add lemon juice, olive oil, or cooking liquid as you think fit. I usually like to add a bit more oil or cooking liquid as I prefer a less tangy hummus. This is entirely up to you and what you like.

3. Serve with veggie dippers.

*Note: I buy dried garbanzos, soak them, and cook them (covered in water) in my crockpot without seasoning. Then, I freeze them in batches of 2 cups each. When I drain them for use, I reserve the liquid. (If you are planning to make soup very soon, save reserved liquid in fridge. Used in soups, it adds flavor and no nutrients get wasted!)

You can also use canned garbanzos. When using canned, it is often suggested not to use the liquid. I would imagine that if you bought garbanzos packed without additives, this liquid would be fine to use.

We were making and eating hummus for a bit but it seemed to drag everything down. Now that we know about lectins, we are very careful about eating anything that is a "seed", including beans, peas, seeds of any kind. Just not worth it.

Laura said:
We were making and eating hummus for a bit but it seemed to drag everything down. Now that we know about lectins, we are very careful about eating anything that is a "seed", including beans, peas, seeds of any kind. Just not worth it.

I'm pretty sure it's lectins I notice whenever I eat something that makes my energy level drop. Like you say, it drags everything down. If they're soaked it does seem to make a difference, but pretty much any flour I've experimented with (buckwheat, quinoa, amarenth) seems to make me tired.

Shane said:
Laura said:

I'm pretty sure it's lectins I notice whenever I eat something that makes my energy level drop. Like you say, it drags everything down. If they're soaked it does seem to make a difference, but pretty much any flour I've experimented with (buckwheat, quinoa, amarenth) seems to make me tired.

Yeah, I've been watching my diet for over a week now, and still feel draggy. I've been coating my organic chicken breast in buckwheat flour, and having quinoa. Been eating sweet potatoes, drinking ultrabroth, and had some kind of glueten-free crackers. I even had sardines for the first time last night and as part of lunch today. Yuck. Not to mention my co-workers wrinkling their noses at the smell at the lunch table. :lol:

Taking a lot of supplements makes me feel draggy too. I think my liver is having a hard time processing everything, tho I started taking milk thistle. I found some organic turkey bacon, and have a few pieces in the morning with my ultrashake.

I think sitting on my butt in front of a computer all day makes me listless too, no matter what I eat. Sitting in the hall is stressful, always looking over my shoulder to see who's walking by so I can flip to a different screen to hide being on-line (like now).

I find myself nodding off in front of the monitor both in the morning and the afternoon, so I don't take any 5-htp till bedtime. The only positive thing I've noticed during the last week or so is that I don't ache as much when I'm in bed at night.

Yesterday I avoided baked goods, today I avoided pizza. One day at a time. ;)

Mrs. Peel said:
Yeah, I've been watching my diet for over a week now, and still feel draggy. I've been coating my organic chicken breast in buckwheat flour, and having quinoa. Been eating sweet potatoes, drinking ultrabroth, and had some kind of glueten-free crackers. I even had sardines for the first time last night and as part of lunch today. Yuck.

:lol: that's how I feel about sardines as well - it just seems like I just scooped it out of an aquarium and am eating it whole... blech.

mp said:
The only positive thing I've noticed during the last week or so is that I don't ache as much when I'm in bed at night.

That's big!

mp said:

Congrats!

Mrs. Peel said:

Hi Mrs Peel,

This is the recipe I use and if I follow it exactly then my hummus is a hit!

Ingredients

-4 garlic cloves, minced and then mashed
-2 15-oz cans of garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
-2/3 cup of tahini
-1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
-1/2 cup water
-1/4 cup olive oil
-1/2 teaspoon of salt

Combine all of the ingredients into a food processor and process until it's smooth. It makes about 3 cups and can be stored in the fridge or freezer. When I first made it I thought it wasn't salty enough, but after it had been in the fridge for a day I found that 1/2 teaspoon was a perfect amount! Also, I tried making it with soaked and boiled garbanzo beans, but the hummus tasted horrible to me! I know there is BPA in the lining of canned foods, but I still do buy my garbanzo beans in cans, because the soaking/boiling method did not work for me. One more thing, the brand of tahini you buy makes a big difference in the final taste. I've bought numerous brands from different stores over the years and they are all good, but they do make the hummus taste different.

I know you mentioned that you don't have a blender. I bought a Vita Mix 5000 blender (_http://www.vitamix.com/index.asp) a year ago and have been able to make so many more foods because of it. It was expensive, but I use it almost every day and I can no longer imagine life without it. I make the shakes for the USD diet in 5 minutes with it and just today I blended up strawberries with a touch of stevia to make a healthy puree for my buckwheat waffles..:) I would definitely recommend a Vita Mix blender if you are looking into buying blenders, especially because the thick hummus will test the blenders strength and Vita Mix machines are top quality. I bought mine used on eBay.

Laura said:

Hi Laura,

Wow, this is interesting! Maybe I should make lots of hummus and reintroduce it into my USD diet meal plan just to see if I have the same results. When I make hummus it tastes so good I would have no problem eating it all day..;) Thanks for the info!

Just wanted to add another supplier of buckwheat flour and whole buckwheat:
http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/search.aspx?find=buckwheat

And they have a promo code valid until Aug 31:

SUMMARY: 10% OFF YOUR ENTIRE ORDER* from Thursday, August 26, 2010 thru Tuesday, August 31, 2010 at 6:00PM PST. Simply enter the coupon code HEATWAVE during checkout. This week we're introducing Freeze Dried Mozzarella Cheese, Tomato Powder, and an unbelievable clearance price on Dehydrated Potato Dices. Save on these and all of your favorites for a limited time.

They also have buckets and oxygen absorbers for proper long-term storage.

Personally, I love sardines. Or any canned/bottled fish in olive oil. Just add a little freshly ground salt and pepper.
Although my wife would stay 10ft. away from me after I've had my sardines. :lol:
I think my being "olfactoraly challenged" helps with me enjoying canned fish...

I used to eat it over rice and beans (with an extra helping of olive oil) but, just recently learning about lectins, I'm still in the process of making the switch to buckwheat.
Maybe I can cook the whole buckwheat grains like rice?

Also, would it be a good idea to have a "coupon/discount codes" or price markdown thread for items "endorsed" by FOTCM? (e.g. everything buckwheat (noodles, pasta flour), DMSO, epsom salts, "recommended" supplements like magnesium citrate, etc.) so it would be easier to check that one board/thread and see if there are any active coupon codes?

Mrs. Peel said:

:clap: Way to go Mrs. P! Step by step, dodging one pizza at a time. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom