Scottish Shortbread Biscuits – Gluten-free

Renaissance said:
Just wanted to note that this recipe is several years old and a lot has been learned about the damaging effects of insulin spikes that come about from using these types of ingredients. You may want to check out the Ketogenic Diet thread and Maria Emmerich's book Keto-Adapted for more information.

Using Xylitol is this recipe still ok? I love shortbread.

Jamie

I made shortbread with coconut flour and butter and xylitol - tastes pretty similar to normal shortbread and was really easy. Obviously a bit coconutty :)

Melt some butter with a tea spoon (or 2) of xylitol (vanila essence may work even better) and mix it with enough flour (coconut/almond) so it's moist but not soaked, chuck in a mold and bake till golden.

Have to say it did feel like i had a bit trouble digesting it, but i was transitioning to Keto so could be that. Or it could be i'm actually more sensitive to coconut than i thought.

Either way, was a super nice treat and very moreish. Most importantly it was sooooooooo easy. I made it again with a few crushed walnuts (which taste great when baked), and i've been thinking about making it with a few chips of dark chocolate, as a super treat ;D But then coconut flour is expensive so i may have to fall back on almond flour.

One thing i've thought about: There's this internet paleo chef 'the paleo mom' who essentially makes nothing but cake. And i think this mentality is kinda missing the point, ie. still driven by food. As the odd treat, i think this shortbread is ok, but i see some ingenious things going on with the fat bombs, and those would be much more nutritionally dense than short bread, which is essentially treats for the tastebuds. Even if it is drenched in butter.

Prodigal Son said:
Scottish, as opposed to ordinary, shortbread is made in one piece in a tin and cut into wedges after baking. I began experimenting with recipes (7th version given below) for this after feeling guilty about buying the gluten versions for my aged mother after each walking trip. They are a favourite afternoon snack for her.

Ingredients:
1 C Buckwheat flour
2tbsp plus 3tsp ground Arrowroot*
175g (6oz) cold cubed butter
100g (3 1/2oz) raw cane sugar / Xylitol / 50:50 (all work equally well, taste-wise)
1/2tsp salt
1tsp Baking Powder*

Does 1 C Buckwheat flour mean 1 cup of flour?

mugatea said:
Prodigal Son said:
Ingredients:
1 C Buckwheat flour

Does 1 C Buckwheat flour mean 1 cup of flour?

Probably yes, but Buckwheat is grown in fields and processed in factories that also deal with wheat, and so for that reason it's counted as containing gluten and so not permitted... Sorry to break that to you mugatea, i was enjoying some nice buckwheat toast this time last year! You'll notice the message is from 2010 and the diet has been refined since then.

Yeah it's ok I was using coconut flour. It tastes nice, looks good but is far too crumbly - turns to crumbs just by touching it. Any baking experts know how fix that?

mugatea said:
Yeah it's ok I was using coconut flour. It tastes nice, looks good but is far too crumbly - turns to crumbs just by touching it. Any baking experts know how fix that?

Have you tried with almond meal instead of coconut flour? I personally cannot stand coconut flour (the smell, the taste... the price :D) and almond meal is way easier to work with imo.

Some people report having trouble with almond meal (or any other nut flour), so test to see if it's OK for you.

I haven't, this was my first attempt and don't want to use nut flours...just yet. I wanna keep to a simple diet for about a year then try adding new things to diet.

mugatea said:

Different flours behave differently and so the recipes change slightly. Which is why i mentioned that it was for buckwheat because coconut flour absorbs moisture well whilst buckwheat is like glue when wet. I found making shortbread as per my previous message, no problem - ie. just keep adding melted butter/coconut oil to the dry mixture till it's like a paste and bake. But others may have better advice ;)

mugatea said:
I haven't, this was my first attempt and don't want to use nut flours...just yet. I wanna keep to a simple diet for about a year then try adding new things to diet.

Not sure if you realise coconut is a nut flour, i'm fairly sure it is. As Mrs Tigersoap says, almond meal/flour is a good alternative. Just find a recipe online - try 'keto shortbread coconut flour' and you should find a recipe you can use as a guide.

Not sure if this helps! :)

Itellsya said:
Not sure if you realise coconut is a nut flour, i'm fairly sure it is. As Mrs Tigersoap says, almond meal/flour is a good alternative.

Indeed, this is why I proposed almond flour: coconut flour/almond flour, I don't think one is really better than the other, as both are nut/seed flours anyway. If you have one, you might as well try the other just to see which one you tolerate best.
But since you prefer to have a simple diet for a year before trying out new foods (which is a very good idea BTW), you might want to forego them altogether.

I wonder if this recipe could be adapted using ground up pork rinds like the recipies in this thread:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,36544.0.html

I think it would be worth a try and then it would be nut free too. I'll experiment with that and try it out and let you know...

Rx said:
I wonder if this recipe could be adapted using ground up pork rinds like the recipies in this thread:

I think it would be worth a try and then it would be nut free too. I'll experiment with that and try it out and let you know...
I was wondering that as well and look forward to hearing your results. :)

truth seeker said:
Rx said:

I was wondering that as well and look forward to hearing your results. :)
I also look forward to hearing about the results.

Back
Top Bottom