Seeing that History Repeats Itself in Historical Films

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Another great movie about Nazi Germany and completely different angle then Schindler's List. I give it 7 stars out of 10.

IMDB said:
Set during World War II, a story seen through the innocent eyes of Bruno, the eight-year-old son of the commandant at a concentration camp, whose forbidden friendship with a Jewish boy on the other side of the camp fence has startling and unexpected consequences

trivia:
Although the concentration camp where the movie is set is never actually mentioned by name throughout the movie, we know it is Auschwitz because it was the only Nazi death camp with 4 crematoria. The SS officers are discussing the building's construction in the Commandant's office when Bruno's mother interrupts the meeting. In the book it is referred to as "Out-With" (coming from the P.O.V. of Bruno, who is only nine years old and can't pronounce some words properly).

Quotes from the movie:

Bruno: Why do you wear pajamas all day?
Shmuel: The soldiers. They took all our clothes away.
Bruno: My dad's a soldier, but not the sort that takes people's clothes away.

Mother: Hello, sweetheart.
Bruno: Mum, what's going on?
Mother: We're celebrating.
Bruno: Celebrating?
Mother: Mm, your father's been given a promotion.
Gretel: That means a better job.
Bruno: I know what promotion is.
Mother: So we're having a little party to celebrate.
Bruno: He's still going to be a soldier though, isn't he?
Mother: Yes, my lamb. Just a more important one, now. I have some even more exciting news, but I think dad wanted to tell you about that himself.

Grandma: I sometimes wonder if this is all down to me, making you those costumes for your little plays when you were tiny. You used to adore all that dressing up. Does it still make you feel special, Ralph dear? The uniform... and what it stands for?
Father: Mother. It's a party. Let's not spoil it.
Grandma: Ha! Me? Spoil things?
Father: [whisper] You should be careful. Airing your views so publicly could land you in trouble. You know that.

Valkyrie

valkyriemoviepostertomcnf8.jpg

Valkyrie (2008)

I have just seen this movie and I have to say wow, 4 and a half stars (out of 5).
Not five because it lacks authenticity of The Downfall (previously mentioned in this thread) for the simple reason it is filmed in English and it does have unmistakable Hollywood gloss although subdued
Nevertheless it is a great movie. It is the kind of movie that makes you wonder- what would I do in this situation or what would I do in that situation.
And most probably you will shed an odd tear towards the end.
I was never big fan of Cruise but in this role he was so brilliant that not for a moment I have seen him as Cruise, I only saw von Stauffenberg. True hero who is ready to stop evil at any cost.
I just saw the movie for the second time, this time with more interest because I look at the hero of the movie, officer Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg, with new eyes maybe also because I I think we need heroes in these so dramatic times we are living in. I have a book that tells all the story of this complot. I think it is an excellent movie, for me 5 stars. The tempo and the suspense is present till the beginning to the end of the movie. Tom Cruise is very good but Mr. Tom is a good actor, anyway.

This story is sad, it is a tragedy. The Gods did not help Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg nor all the team behind him. The movie is a remembrance of courageous men and women that believed in a better life for Germany and gave their lives for it.

We need heroes, they are food for our souls, they help us to be strong and courageous.

The Lady and the Duke

From wikipedia:
Beginning in the 2000s, Rohmer, in his eighties, returned to period drama with The Lady and the Duke and Triple Agent. The Lady and the Duke caused considerable controversy in France, where its negative portrayal of the French Revolution led some critics to label it monarchist propaganda. Its innovative cinematic style and strong acting performances led it to be well received elsewhere.

I recall seing an interview of the director, Éric Rohmer where he says that a carefull work was done for the scenery to look realistic using paintings made with the help of architectural plans from the period.

Back
Top Bottom