Sepp Blatter Forced to resign as head of FIFA straight after re-election

Jeremy F Kreuz said:
they probably have shown him some info from his personal file that could be leaked if he did not resign.

My thoughts on his resignation were that it was made clear to him by the sponsors that they would not support FIFA any longer with him as Pres. The major sponsors being US corporations like VISA, and we know that the US government is the biggest corporation in the US.

Antony said:
Heimdallr and other fellow forum members,
I really wonder-why is that so difficult to acknowledge that everything (almost) in our world is bought and sold even in Russia? You think that the whole FIFA scandal and it's officials who started giving confessions-are all made up in order to be able to blame only Russia and strip us off the WC 2018? (Though I do indeed think that the timing for investigation is tied with Russia, but does that fact deny the rotten character of the sport's and political systems? ). It is a bit of wishful thinking, imo.

The real wishful thinking here is that the US government would ever try to publicly prosecute an international organisation simply because it is corrupt rather than as a way to serve another agenda that benefits the US.

Newsflash: the US does not fight against injustice and corruption on principle. So the question then is: what is the real reason for taking down FIFA, or rather, taking down Blatter?

Well, let's look at the results. They are now touting the possibility that the right to hold the 2018 and 2022 world cups will be denied to Russia and Qatar. Note that will be the ONLY result, because when the dust settles, FIFA will be the same old corrupt organisation, like almost every other major corporation and government on this planet. The only tangible change will be the denial of the hosting of the 2018 games to Russia (and maybe the 2022 to Qatar as a sop to the public). At least, that is what I think the goal is.

Another possible consequence is, it scares other international groups (those wanting independence) into avoiding the U.S. and its widening jurisdiction.

It seems that Russia still gets to hold the World Cup in 2018 (for now):

_http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/08/football/fifa-scandal/
FIFA: No grounds to strip Russia or Qatar of World Cup

There are no legal grounds for FIFA to take the 2018 World Cup from Russian or the 2022 event from Qatar, soccer's world governing body said Monday.

FIFA's statement followed comments made to a Swiss newspaper by Domenico Scala, chief of its Compliance Committee.

"Russia and Qatar were awarded the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups by democratic vote of the Executive Committee. Based on expert opinions and available facts, FIFA has no legal grounds to take away the hosting of the FIFA World Cup from Russia and Qatar."

"We will not speculate on possible scenarios and therefore have no further comments for the time being," the statement said.

Jeremy F Kreuz and Perceval,
Big thanks for your replies. Now, if we take it as a 'very possible' fact that Russia bought the WC 2018 as previous hosts did, should we be so angry/disappointed that we are the only ones (with a great Qatar football nation. No offense) who is getting picked on for it?
Yes, it can be seen unfair, but it is of course obvious in existing international context. Basically by using the same dirty corruption scheme-we have set a 'geopolitical conjuncture' mine under ourselves. It should have been taken into consideration beforehand.
And, imo, it is no a 'righteous corruption' example-vital for a survival of a nation, for instance. If you play in dirt, you will get dirty - Cs.

Perceval,
I am no way thinking that US started that campaign for the sake of justice. Obviously they know our 'sins' and wish to use them against us. Simple and understandable approach. But does it make Russia white and fluffy in that episode? Paraphrasing Cs-they showed us a pot of gold and our oligarch's regime stepped in without looking behind the door. But are we supposed to think that they should have done it in the first place?

Antony said:
But are we supposed to think that they should have done it in the first place?

Why should they not have, if that's what everyone else is doing?

Russia didn't write the rules of global capitalism. If bribery is the default, then you work within the 'rules'. It's that simple Antony.

Back
Top Bottom