Session 23 March 2013

andi said:
Rx said:
Intothefield- very cool. I like the symbols very much. I think having them will be such a nice, simple reminder instead of just reading words. At this point I wish they were plastered all over my house!!!

Well done!

I guess you can print them as a to do list reminder, if that's ok with Intothefield.

My pleasure if you would do so. For me this pics belong to the forumites as a small part of the work that's being putted together, it's just a small drop in this ocean of creativity in which I have the joy to bath :)

Intothefield said:
ametist said:
It ain't easy to come up with a sign language like this without bordering with symbolic clichés (eyes, brain etc).
Yup! not easy at all, I tried my best because I have problems with them as well, mostly with eyes but I couldn't find another solution, If something pops out of your mind that can work better we can rearrange the things.

I meant that you have done some outstanding work with exactly those "risky" symbols, in balance between logotype-style and a kind of iconic illustration.Simply fresh :cool2:

Can't think of any tips atm, ones above regarding some 'cosmetic' changes were all I'd subscribe to.

"Growth in knowledge" btw, makes me feel funny in my chest. In a very good way. A

nd they in fact are the kind of images that you want to have around all the time as reminders, might get them printed too.

sitting said:
Ariadna said:
What would happen if disaster if it can not access food and water, or if these were scarce? How could hold my son and myself, how to protect ourselves? In such situations, where chaos reigns, I wonder what I would be willing to do. And how to prepare for a sensible and rational at times that seem to come in the sense of physical survival, how to have full oil lamp, as you say?

Have a look at the (2009) movie "The Road", with Viggo Mortensen. It was so depressing I had to watch it in installments.

I second that recommendation. It was a chilling, realistic look at what could happen. I couldn't but help wonder what caused the event, it wasn't made clear.

Divide By Zero said:
sitting said:
Ariadna said:
What would happen if disaster if it can not access food and water, or if these were scarce? How could hold my son and myself, how to protect ourselves? In such situations, where chaos reigns, I wonder what I would be willing to do. And how to prepare for a sensible and rational at times that seem to come in the sense of physical survival, how to have full oil lamp, as you say?

Have a look at the (2009) movie "The Road", with Viggo Mortensen. It was so depressing I had to watch it in installments.

I second that recommendation. It was a chilling, realistic look at what could happen. I couldn't but help wonder what caused the event, it wasn't made clear.

I "third" that recommendation. That movie put a lot of things into perspective for me. As DBZ noted, the event that caused the situation was not made clear but I don't think it was terribly important to know those details. It was simply an apocalyptic event that created the conditions in which they found themselves.

But I found that the behaviour exhibited by the various people they encountered, and their own as well, was a pretty good guess as to how humans would react in such a situation, no matter what the cause. Frightening, yes. But very educational for the times we are living in.

We MUST be among those that are carrying the flame (I think that was the phrase they used).

I love the artwork, Intothefield. I find your choices of imagery very creative and well thought out for the "graphic" representation of the concepts. It actually ends up showing how you, personally, are conceptualizing the concepts, which also gives a bit of a snapshot of the way you visualize them, which is cool. And I found that we see very much alike for some of them - also cool. Others not as much, but I could see where you were coming from in each case.

Very nice.

I'm looking forward to getting my copy of this booklet, more and more!

mocachapeau said:
Divide By Zero said:
sitting said:
Ariadna said:

I "third" that recommendation. That movie put a lot of things into perspective for me. As DBZ noted, the event that caused the situation was not made clear but I don't think it was terribly important to know those details. It was simply an apocalyptic event that created the conditions in which they found themselves.

But I found that the behaviour exhibited by the various people they encountered, and their own as well, was a pretty good guess as to how humans would react in such a situation, no matter what the cause. Frightening, yes. But very educational for the times we are living in.

We MUST be among those that are carrying the flame (I think that was the phrase they used).

Following your advice, I've seen the movie "The Road" the first time. It truly is very impressive, your comments are set to content, IMO too. I also had to make several pauses in order to finish the film. It is an extreme scenario and could be possible in the future, we do not know with what degree of probability. Although we all hope that never happens, today there are countries at war and people living situations of real terror.

The movie has scenes coming very painful inside. "Carrying the flame" I think it's the only chance for mankind.
Thank you for your recommendations :) :hug2:

That's great news, AI -- just added it so my shopping list. Thanks to you for all your work and everyone else who was involved :clap:

Wow! I have been off the net for nearly 3 months and now coming back just to see once again that this forum rocks.

Thanks very much to everybody involved. Hope this is going be available at the QFG book store too. It's worth it, big time.

anka said:
Wow! I have been off the net for nearly 3 months and now coming back just to see once again that this forum rocks.

Thanks very much to everybody involved. Hope this is going be available at the QFG book store too. It's worth it, big time.

It's already available here. Forum thread on it here.

Kniall said:
anka said:

It's already available here. Forum thread on it here.

Well, yes. I just thought that such a creation should be available right at the QFG bookstore and RedPillPress, not only Amazon, but I could not wait and already ordered:)
Thank you, Kniall, for the the links.

I just discovered today that amazon.com has started selling art: _http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=topnav_storetab_art_col?ie=UTF8&node=6685269011

Browsing around in the Prints section I happened upon an Engraving (Edition of 1) entitled Parable of the Wise and Foolish Virgins after an original drawing by Pieter Brueghel the Elder in 1560: _http://www.amazon.com/Parable-Wise-Foolish-Virgins/dp/B00DQD6E0I/ref=sr_1_73?s=art&ie=UTF8&qid=1375802105&sr=1-73

Created in c. 1560-63, this engraving by Philip Galle is after an original drawing by Pieter Bruegel (Breda, 1525 - Brussels, 1569).á Published by Hieronymus -John Thomas-, the work has the inscriptions, æBRVEGEL. INV.Æ in blank cartouche in the lower right; æH. -John Thomas- excu.Æ in the lower left.á Engraved from the only state on SB watermarked paper.

It's rather pricey but I thought it nevertheless was too relevant and applicable to not to signal it here... :)

Much more additional info here:
_http://www.masterworksfineart.com/inventory/2399

Palinurus said:
I just discovered today that amazon.com has started selling art: _http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=topnav_storetab_art_col?ie=UTF8&node=6685269011

Browsing around in the Prints section I happened upon an Engraving (Edition of 1) entitled Parable of the Wise and Foolish Virgins after an original drawing by Pieter Brueghel the Elder in 1560: _http://www.amazon.com/Parable-Wise-Foolish-Virgins/dp/B00DQD6E0I/ref=sr_1_73?s=art&ie=UTF8&qid=1375802105&sr=1-73

Created in c. 1560-63, this engraving by Philip Galle is after an original drawing by Pieter Bruegel (Breda, 1525 - Brussels, 1569).á Published by Hieronymus -John Thomas-, the work has the inscriptions, æBRVEGEL. INV.Æ in blank cartouche in the lower right; æH. -John Thomas- excu.Æ in the lower left.á Engraved from the only state on SB watermarked paper.

It's rather pricey but I thought it nevertheless was too relevant and applicable to not to signal it here... :)

Much more additional info here:
_http://www.masterworksfineart.com/inventory/2399

Nice picture, thanks Palinurus!

I found the price a bit stiff too, given that it is a reproduction ... or rather a copied original of an original (confusing).

I've noticed that wise virgins on the left side of painting are Working with threads (weaving/producing them) - interesting possible analogy with this Network here... :cool2:

Q: (Andromeda) Who are the wise virgins? What are they talking about. (L) Story in the bible. Wise and foolish virgins. It's funny that they make these biblical references. I'm coming more and more to the conviction that most of what's in the bible was borrowed by some desert tribes that got civilized and called themselves Jews, borrowed from other cultures. So, it's funny that some people, if they've decided that the whole Yahweh/Jesus thing is not their cup of tea, they throw the whole thing out. They throw the baby out with the bath water. When in fact, if they could get past the idea that all of this isn't focused around some primitive tribal god from the hill country of Judea, but rather this was or this is the main mode of transmission of some very, very ancient stories that would otherwise have been lost if the Jews hadn't stolen and adapted it for their own uses. And it takes a very clever person, a good analyst to read them and understand where they really may have come from.

I'm so glad you said that! I have said the exact same thing to many people over the years. If you can sort the wheat from the chaff there is voluminous snippets of wisdom laced throughout the bible. Just like in everything else, if you are willing to find the lesson or the snippet of wisdom, almost everything, every situation and everyone offers a wealth of knowledge, insight and clues to what is going on or how to navigate a particular situation. You have to stop biasing because of the source, when you forget who said it and only take away the lesson in what was said you have won the prize. "Even a broken clock is right 2 times a day!"

Back
Top Bottom