Shape shifting creature found in the bottom of the ocean

Very strange. No fish, something made with metal. The video is old, from 2013. We have never hear about this creature. How come?

I noticed that when something like that is recorded, then it is sometimes mentioned in media as a scientific curiosity (only once of course) and forgotten after that.
Very similar case was with transparent octopus-like animal that changed it color from completely transparent to few other different colours.

That's a cephalopod, you can clearly see its true form near the end before it escaped into a plume of ink.

edit, perhaps it was two of them (mating?) and split near the end (two forms can be seen, i thought it could be ink but it didn't plume).

They often have bioluminescent nodes on their tentacles (the deeper and darker, the more 'alien' the species since they can flicker and flash any possible color).

Last edited:
I'm sorry but it looks like fake, if you look closely at the near end of the video, there are some problem with the shadow, color, contrast and displacement on the video letting me think it's a CGI
I agree, looks like CGI to me as well- at least the first part and last bit- the part with the creature with pulsating bioluminescent lights was convincing so if indeed fake kudos on that part

I'm sorry but it looks like fake, if you look closely at the near end of the video, there are some problem with the shadow, color, contrast and displacement on the video letting me think it's a CGI

It's not CGI. The video is from 2013.

Another similar specimen was recorded in 2011.

They are a species of comb jelly (ctenophore). This one is Lampocteis a monotypic genus of comb jellies, the only genus in the family Lampoctenidae. The sole species in this new genus is Lampocteis cruentiventer or bloody-belly comb jelly.

They can range in color from deep red, purple, or black to pale purple. This species differs from all other ctenophores in that its body is penetrated by a deep notch located between the adjacent subtentacular comb rows at the level of the infundibulum (the funnel-shaped part). That's what allows it to 'shape shift'. There are lots of 'shape shifting' critters down in the deep!

Here's another vid on the blood-belly comb jellies.

Check out this gulper eel for some crazy shape shifting.

These videos are taken by the Nautilus Live Ocean Exploration Trust

Here's another shape shifter from the above link.

Last edited:
Thank you Joe for that correction, I was so blown away that I never would have believed it if you hadn't given me the proof. What really put me off was the movement at the end which seems totally disorganized as you can see on some CGI where the tracking between the background and the front is messed up. I'm glad I made a mistake and that you brought me these precisions, it will teach me to review more deeply my ability to analyze a video and avoid crying wolf too quickly.
My apologies for perhaps shouting fake a little too quickly.

Back
Top Bottom