Show #18: Empathy Trap - Breaking Free From Psychopaths and Sociopaths

Great show everybody! Really good information, and very helpful as it helps me to understand some psychopathic behaviors within my own family. Now off to buy the book! :clap:

voyageur said:
Fascinating sounding book, especially the description of how it is laid out - just ordered (a few more copies are available for < $6.00) via amazon.

Thanks for the show all!

Yep, sounds like a great collection of information on pathology in social relationships and how to deal with it.

Thank you for this interview and endorsement of the author(s) book; looking forward to reading .

Good night all.

Aragorn said:
voyageur said:
Fascinating sounding book, especially the description of how it is laid out - just ordered (a few more copies are available for < $6.00) via amazon.

There's a Kindle version, too: _http://amzn.com/B00CKDE9IE

Just started reading... :)

Thanks.

Just bought the kindle version.

Brilliant show! Examples were very good to help bring about understanding & the book seems very nicely laid out. Not sure how to set up Kindle on phone however so ordered the paperback version.

Thank you for the interview & discussion on this topic. :thup:

Another excellent discussion!! I was really happy to hear Jason broach the subject of trained/learned empathy, as a question occurred to me as I listened, about whether or not the author considered training in empathy something that is genuine ( real empathy) or if these 'skills' can be lost if not utilized or under certain conditions or in certain situations.

Thank you all again for another excellent topic and discussion.

Thank you all for the show, once again. :) Thank you for your work and dedication. These Talk Radio shows are amazing! They help me to put the information, that I read on the Forum and in other books, in clear order and propel me to read more, so I can really deeply understand the issue. Big thank you to your guest Tim McGregor. :) He's doing very valuable work.

I just ordered his book from amazon in Kindle version and have already started to read it.

Great show.

Any way I can get this book through The Rabbit Hole so they can make some money? Their Amazon(dot)com portal doesn't seem to exist anymore.

domi said:
Great show.

Any way I can get this book through The Rabbit Hole so they can make some money? Their Amazon(dot)com portal doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Don't think so.

It really is a nice little basic book that can be purchased and given to anyone, friends or family, in case you think they need to increase their awareness. It is also useful for the person who is in such a situation and needs a little guidance on getting out and getting over it. It's simply written, has simple story examples that about anybody can identify with.

What is special about it is the chapter about the Sociopath/Apath/Empath Triad. Keeping in mind that a single sociopath can have a troop of apaths that they fish out of a group by their certainty and dominance, that they then turn against their targeted empath to destroy him or her.

It really is just a description of how sociopathic leaders use the authoritarian follower types to do their bidding. But here, the example is given in a more personal context situation which is very useful. It's pretty much the same thing that Lobaczewski described as ponerization and how a "spell binder" can fish out followers and use them to support their pathological ideas. But again, it is more simply described and applied to personal situations. I think it was quite clever of the McGregors to figure that out on their own!

Got the Kindle working - what a neat little book.
McGregor's depictions are easily applied to personal situations & helps 'gaslightees' [the sociopath's victim] feel less isolated in their strife.

It goes very well as a comparison for other books on the topic imo although lending Political Ponerology to someone having relationship troubles with ensuing trauma may elicit a range of responses.

This Sociopath/Empath/Apath Triad isn't a phenomena widely recognized in the UK [perhaps everywhere inclusively on the globe], might be the Apathetics' influence, so it has been a refreshing read.

Laura said:
It really is a nice little basic book that can be purchased and given to anyone, friends or family, in case you think they need to increase their awareness. It is also useful for the person who is in such a situation and needs a little guidance on getting out and getting over it. It's simply written, has simple story examples that about anybody can identify with.

What is special about it is the chapter about the Sociopath/Apath/Empath Triad. Keeping in mind that a single sociopath can have a troop of apaths that they fish out of a group by their certainty and dominance, that they then turn against their targeted empath to destroy him or her.

It really is just a description of how sociopathic leaders use the authoritarian follower types to do their bidding. But here, the example is given in a more personal context situation which is very useful. It's pretty much the same thing that Lobaczewski described as ponerization and how a "spell binder" can fish out followers and use them to support their pathological ideas. But again, it is more simply described and applied to personal situations. I think it was quite clever of the McGregors to figure that out on their own!

Thanks for the summary

I couldn't help but think of the C's and their "help is on the way" in the context of this book

Thanks for a really great show!. I've not been able to participate live but I really enjoy listening to the replays which I typically do on Monday night :) The objective discussions, broad variety of topics and well chosen guests really make the broadcasts informative. Well done!

I enjoyed this. I don't think I've read this particular book but I've read others like it: Martha Stout, George Simon, Robert Hare, to name a few. I wasn't that fond of Simon's book (I think it was called "Puzzling People", something like that) - it started out good but then went into a lot of "they" this and "they" that. The only problem with that approach on the topic is that when you say someone ("they") does a certain thing, well, a lot of people may do that certain thing but it's the intent to do harm that separates the sociopaths.

I liked in this video interview how they talked about the term "gaslighting" and how it originated with a man that tried to make his wife think she was going crazy by turning down the gas lighting in the house and then pretending everything was the same, as if only she was seeing a difference in the actual lighting inside the residence.

Even better was when they talked about female sociopaths. If you've ever been the target of a "nice old lady" who was a sociopath then you know how much damage they can do and how easy it is for them to acquire scores of "apaths" as accomplices, while you - the only "empath" - try desperately to point out what she is really up to. She could be bare buck naked and everyone would still swear she is tastefully clothed.

ARC

ARC said:
I enjoyed this. I don't think I've read this particular book but I've read others like it: Martha Stout, George Simon, Robert Hare, to name a few. I wasn't that fond of Simon's book (I think it was called "Puzzling People", something like that) - it started out good but then went into a lot of "they" this and "they" that. The only problem with that approach on the topic is that when you say someone ("they") does a certain thing, well, a lot of people may do that certain thing but it's the intent to do harm that separates the sociopaths.

I liked in this video interview how they talked about the term "gaslighting" and how it originated with a man that tried to make his wife think she was going crazy by turning down the gas lighting in the house and then pretending everything was the same, as if only she was seeing a difference in the actual lighting inside the residence.

Even better was when they talked about female sociopaths. If you've ever been the target of a "nice old lady" who was a sociopath then you know how much damage they can do and how easy it is for them to acquire scores of "apaths" as accomplices, while you - the only "empath" - try desperately to point out what she is really up to. She could be bare buck naked and everyone would still swear she is tastefully clothed.

ARC

Puzzling People was written by Thomas Sheridan... there's a whole thread about him and his book here

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,26312.0.html

Eric said:
ARC said:

Puzzling People was written by Thomas Sheridan... there's a whole thread about him and his book here

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,26312.0.html

If ARC was thinking about a book by George Simon, then it was either In Sheep's Clothing or Character Disturbance.

Back
Top Bottom