Show #19: Physician, Heal Thyself: Disease And Modern Diet

I finished listening to this last night. Great show everybody! Thanks again :flowers:

herondancer said:
Approaching Infinity said:
Yep, great show. I was really impressed with Dr. Lundell. His response to the smoking issue was very well mannered. :cool2:

Absolutely. His willingness to gracefully step back from an absolutist statement about smoking and remarking that no true scientist would speak that way was wonderful. The scientific community could take a lesson from Dr. Lundell.

I have to say, this was one of the best listening moments I can recall of any show! When Dr. Lundell said "everybody knows... smoking damages..." I was walking around the house and stopped dead in my tracks! I was wondering if you'd let it go and keep the focus on the diet and I could just picture you all, cigarettes in hand, looking at each other. I actually felt my stomach curling into a smile when Jason started to speak and said "Well I don't know..." Kudos to you all and kudos to Dr. Lundell for behaving like a true scientist :headbanger:

I've been reading Signature in the Cell, by Stephen C. Meyer and thought this quote was relevant here, although particularly to Jason and Dr. Lundell in this instance, I think it applies to you all in doing these shows...

"Watson and Crick also possessed an important quality rarely appreciated in scientists, but vital to those attempting to make discoveries or challenge an outmoded frame of thought. The two men were perfectly willing to ask questions exposing their own ignorance, to embarrass themselves, if necessary, in pursuit of answers."

Thank you SOTT for another fab show and guest. It was a great joy to hear Dr Lundell speak on this important subject :flowers:

Don Genaro said:
I have to say, this was one of the best listening moments I can recall of any show! When Dr. Lundell said "everybody knows... smoking damages..." I was walking around the house and stopped dead in my tracks! I was wondering if you'd let it go and keep the focus on the diet and I could just picture you all, cigarettes in hand, looking at each other. I actually felt my stomach curling into a smile when Jason started to speak and said "Well I don't know..." Kudos to you all and kudos to Dr. Lundell for behaving like a true scientist :headbanger:

Yes, that was a great part. I always thought it unfortunate that more of these learned doctors and researchers don't focus their skills on the smoking-is-bad-for-you fraud.

Great show guys.

herondancer said:
Approaching Infinity said:
Yep, great show. I was really impressed with Dr. Lundell. His response to the smoking issue was very well mannered. :cool2:

Absolutely. His willingness to gracefully step back from an absolutist statement about smoking and remarking that no true scientist would speak that way was wonderful. The scientific community could take a lesson from Dr. Lundell.

Well, this took me back to being in Biology class...except Lundell wasn't my teacher. So a pretty nice revision session with someone willing to take the wool out of their ears.
Thanks for the show :)

Think i am now caught up again on the radio broadcasts and last night i listened to the whole show again, not just what was missed. Think you folks did a wonderful job with your questions, including recounting some of your experiences. Dr. Lundell seemed very hospitable with his interactions and he gave some excellent examples from his years of surgery and research. Imo, this was a very important broadcast and it was done with humor, intelligence and goodwill. He was gracious in his remarks about smoking and rightly so made corrections - good on him.

Here is what i seem to have not thought about before, yet he mentions it, which made me think much more about why possibly some, or most physicians take the approach they do. What he said, and i might have heard it incorrectly, was rather remarkable as a system control, in that at one point he discusses modern physicians and the electronic patient file systems that seems to track everything. So when a patient's "symptoms" point to heart disease (and we know the bar is really low to create appearances), when it could be diet for instance, the physician must prescribe (in most cases) the statuesque drugs (like statin) that have been agreed upon, or they are deemed as not giving the patent the proper "level of care". Unbelievable, yet think he says this, and it speaks much about possibly why the physicians do what they do and prescribe what the do, they seem simply afraid, afraid of there own system blaming them and reprimanding them. If this is what he was getting at, then their fear converts to lies they tell themselves, or they just remain ignorant because it works. Yet their very silence protecting this "level of care" is killing people.

The other thing mentioned was statistical analysis and "P" Hacking - was that what he said? Anyway, what he seems to have described was in essence the hockey-stick manipulation of pharma science, i.e., a one percent change 1:100 increase to 2:100 patients (which may have unaccounted for values) becomes a 36% or 50% positive increase due to a specific drug - disgusting manipulative science.

Anyway, thank you SoTT-Talk for having him on your show, and thank you Dr. Lundell for speaking. :wow:

Back
Top Bottom