Show #32: 911 Revisited - 12 Years On

Niall

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Sunday 8 September: 911 Revisited - 12 Years On

It's been 12 years since ‘the day that changed the world forever’, an event we're told was the work of 19 vengeful Muslim Arabs hijacking four commercial airplanes with box cutters and flying them into major U.S. landmarks.

The event spurred the U.S. government to herald a new regime – the ‘endless War on Terror’ – to protect Americans – and ‘freedom-loving peoples everywhere’ – from the terrorists who “hate us for our freedoms,” freedoms that were subsequently dismantled in systematic fashion by those same legislators, not the alleged terrorists. But the effects of 9/11 extend way beyond the evisceration of civil liberties.

An ‘Axis of Evil Regimes that harbor terrorists’ was declared; whole countries and millions of people were wiped off the map. A global ‘Big Brother’ surveillance infrastructure came into being, rapidly transforming the ‘free West’ into an ubiquitous totalitarian regime (with the rest of the world following suit to one degree or another). Rampant plundering of economies by elite-owned banks and corporations caused a global financial crisis in which ordinary people were left holding the bill.

As shocking as 9/11 was, the underlying motif of a ‘self-inflicted wound’ to institute a larger, covert agenda is one that repeats in history. Hitler had his 9/11 with the Reichstag Fire. The Catilinarian Conspiracies were the product of Cicero’s devious imagination in the tumultuous period that saw Rome transition from Republic to Empire.

This week we’re going to look back at what really happened that fateful day, discuss the most likely conspirators, and try to understand the attacks in the context of all that has transpired on our planet since then.

Join us from 2-4pm (EST) this Sunday 8 September as we examine America’s “new Pearl Harbor.”

Looking forward to this one!

I noticed that there's a interesting documentary to be released in October called “9/11 in the Academic Community”.

Preview: _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFzVKDdCa6s&sns=em

Official site: _http://911inacademia.com/

“9/11 in the Academic Community” Preview & Press Release

9/11 IN THE ACADEMIC COMMUNITY
Documentary Preview & Press Release
August 5, 2013

Coming this fall, “9/11 in the Academic Community,” a Winner of the University of Toronto Film Festival, is a unique film that documents academia’s treatment of critical perspectives on 9/11 by exploring the taboo that shields the American government’s narrative from scholarly examination. Through a powerful reflection on intellectual courage and the purpose of academia, the film aims at changing intellectual discourse on 9/11 and the War on Terror.

All efforts are being made to make this film available by this October. Please widely distribute the following preview:

As well as probing the repercussions several scholars have endured due to their investigation of 9/11, this documentary provides an analysis of impairments in professional inquiry, ranging from the failure to critically reflect on terms functioning as thought-stoppers (such as “conspiracy theory”) to the structural approach that restricts inquiry to the broad implications of 9/11 while shutting out enquiry into the events of the day itself. Morton Brussel, Professor Emeritus of Physics at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, has stated: “The main thesis of the film concerns the silence of the academic community on this vital issue. I think it is extremely important and very well produced.”

As 9/11 served as the rationale for the Global War on Terror, the expansion of the military and intelligence complex, the invasion of other countries in violation of international law, and the curtailing of civil liberties, the film provides an inspiring demonstration of intellectual courage that will cause many scholars to reflect on the academy’s role and strength to dismantle the war system. As Alvin A. Lee, President Emeritus of McMaster University, has stated in his endorsement of the film: academics should “stand sufficiently outside society intellectually to see, understand, and interpret what is going on.”

Adnan Zuberi
Director and Producer
9/11 in the Academic Community

This documentary confronts the academy’s uncritical response to the
defining event of our times. It is an essential viewing for everyone in academe.

Lance deHaven-Smith
Professor of Public Administration and Policy at Florida State University
Former President of the Florida Political Science Association

As an academic, I found the film to accurately describe how
academics tend to deal with controversial issues.

Hendrik Van den Berg
Professor of Economics at University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Former Foreign Service Officer, U.S. Department of State

Aragorn said:
Looking forward to this one!

Likewise. It will be interesting to see to what extent the anniversary will be used to garner support for Syria attack.

Kniall said:
As shocking as 9/11 was, the underlying motif of a ‘self-inflicted wound’ to institute a larger, covert agenda is one that repeats in history. Hitler had his 9/11 with the Reichstag Fire. The Catilinarian Conspiracies were the product of Cicero’s devious imagination in the tumultuous period that saw Rome transition from Republic to Empire.

As I was reading Parenti's book today and more specifically the chapter on Cicero, it is obvious that in 2000 or so years things haven't changed that much. The parallels with todays politics are astounding.

The show is on the air now. I just signed up, waiting for the confirmation. Good to hear you, guys :)

Mariama said:
I have lost connection. Is that on my end or yours?
I've lost it, too :(

EDIT: If you reset the page and hit play again it came back for me :)

dugdeep said:
Mariama said:
I have lost connection. Is that on my end or yours?
I've lost it, too :(

EDIT: If you reset the page and hit play again it came back for me :)

I had to reload it, and it then directed me to the blogtalkradio page (was listening to the show on Sott before), and now it's working again.

Had a connection problem also, worked upon reloading.

Good show guys :D
Things have changed drastically since 9/11 - interesting point about psychopathic regimes becoming less discreet, more noticeable, over time.

Usually, when the show just stops playing and you have to the refresh the page, that's a problem with either BTR itself, or with their player.

Unless Joe announces on the show that we got cut off! ;)

Back
Top Bottom