Show #38 - Dr. Aleta Edwards Interview: Fear of the Abyss

Hello everyone!

Thank you to the SOTT team for this excellent opportunity to hear Dr. Edwards discuss her book. It was such a fabulous interview, and I found the questions very compelling and well thought out. It's refreshing to listen to such an in-depth interview about a book such as this. Too often in our culture we are discussing a book that approaches very deep issues as though they are merely surface concerns. We more often talk in terms of coping mechanisms, instead of an offering of deeper healing. Healing is always possible, and it's wonderful to see our attention beginning to shift to this realization. When Dr. Edwards drew the comparison to obsessive hand-washing, and she said she is not interested in decreasing the number of times per day someone washes their hands -- she'd rather assist them with that underlying feeling of being dirty, or bad -- that was just a wonderful example of what is so needed in our culture today.

We have a culture that idealizes the very traits that she addresses in this book, and encourages us to hold ourselves up to an impossible standard. So we seldom see anyone encouraging the opposite -- for us to find the means to look within, and by gaining insight, find ourselves more comfortable with who we are.

I often recommend this book to my clients (I am a social worker), and each person has said to me, "I can't believe Dr. Edwards wrote this book without ever having met me! It feels like she wrote this book for me, personally." It's such a common comment that I hear, that it really goes to show that she has indeed hit upon a personality "type," which is quite different from a diagnostic label. People with all sorts of various personality traits can be labeled as "depressed," or "anxious," but the PCS personality type is a specific type of person. Ethical, concerned with the feelings of other people (often to the exclusion of their own needs), compassionate. The one thing that they are sorely lacking is empathy for the self. I have found that people do begin to find empathy for the self, with the help of this fine book. It's very heart warming to watch that empathy beginning to develop. My clients feel such gratitude toward Dr. Edwards that each was delighted to get this opportunity to hear her speak. Thank you for that!

I can't say enough good things about this forum for offering us a chance to discuss this book, and to listen to Dr. Edwards answering our questions. Thank you again to the SOTT team for such an excellent interview! :D

Michele

Have to agree with everyone, that it was an amazing show. Dr. Edwards has so much care and love it was very wonderful to hear her voice. And though I have read her book and was familiar with the concepts, it was still an emotional listen. As someone who exhibits many of the symptoms, one of the hardest parts for me has been to try to share childhood trauma. I tend to want to control the reactions of people to my hurt because I get uncomfortable with sympathy. One of my biggest fears is crying specially publicly. It has gotten easier with EE, but the block is fairly strong.

So thank you for the interview, as this information cannot be repeated enough.

Gandalf said:
She wrote on her FB:

I had my interview today with SOTT talk radio!!! These were the most charming, intelligent, nice people and I enjoyed it more than I can say! My only regret is not getting to meet them in person and chat more! If you want to hear the interview you can go to the SOTT site and hear it in the archives!

Awww... I found Dr. Aleta to be such a wonderful lady! The love and compassion she seems to feel for her clients was really healing in itself, and the way she talked about the world too. I felt like giving her a hug after the show. Let's try to help her by recommending her book, and buying it. It is really worth it IMO. Her way of wording things makes it so that, even if many of us have read lots of books on psychology, it adds something very important. At least for me, it was like a message of hope, and of encouragement to face the biggest fears with strength. We know it's possible, and we see it every day here on the forum. But I think that her work is priceless in helping with the process.

Olesya said:
Great show! Thank you All and many thanks to Aleta Edwards for this really meaningful discussion of her book. I really need to buy it and read it now. I was thinking about calling at the beginning of the show, but couldn't. I was crying almost through the whole show. It's time to start real work on myself.

:hug2: We are here, Olesya. I think that the most important thing to remember is that, when you feel you are ready, even though it's VERY scary, you have to keep faith, and later on it becomes very liberating. Like she says in the book too, what is there to lose, after all? If we don't try to dig deeper, our life won't change. We will keep with the same old suffering, just coping in the best case scenario. But if we dare to look into "the Abyss", there are hundreds of opportunities awaiting!

Gimpy said:
Anyone else know a place to get an actual book version? Amazon doesn't seem to have it, which I find odd.
There only is the Kindle version as far as I know. She briefly mentioned that she's working on a printed version, but how far from now it will be ready is unknown I think.

parallel said:
Gimpy said:
Anyone else know a place to get an actual book version? Amazon doesn't seem to have it, which I find odd.
There only is the Kindle version as far as I know. She briefly mentioned that she's working on a printed version, but how far from now it will be ready is unknown I think.

I've offered suggestions/help to get Fear of the Abyss into print for her. Hopefully we'll see it soon as a hard copy.

Chu said:
The love and compassion she seems to feel for her clients was really healing in itself, and the way she talked about the world too. I felt like giving her a hug after the show.

I know what you mean. This was very evident to me while listening to her. She really cares about her clients and people in general. She truly is a wonderful lady. I, too, wanted to give her a hug. :)

parallel said:
Gimpy said:

If you email her she does provide a PDF format as well if you don't have a kindle.

Turgon said:
If you email her she does provide a PDF format as well if you don't have a kindle.

Another alternative for people who don't have a kindle is to use Amazon Cloud Reader. You search for and enable it, then kindle books can be "delivered" to it. Then you log in and read them in your web browser.

Psalehesost said:
Turgon said:

Another alternative for people who don't have a kindle is to use Amazon Cloud Reader. You search for and enable it, then kindle books can be "delivered" to it. Then you log in and read them in your web browser.

And yet another option is to download the free kindle for PC and read it on your computer.

Nienna said:
Chu said:
The love and compassion she seems to feel for her clients was really healing in itself, and the way she talked about the world too. I felt like giving her a hug after the show.

I know what you mean. This was very evident to me while listening to her. She really cares about her clients and people in general. She truly is a wonderful lady. I, too, wanted to give her a hug. :)

This show is extremely touching, it really struck a chord with me - I have listened to it a few times & each time I pick out something different. She has given wonderful aid with her book. It feels like everyday there's more to pluck up & release, more weeding to do.

I wanted to give her a hug also.

Thanks to the SOTT team & Aleta for this hope-breeding interview! :)

Thank you for this show!
What a wonderful gift, Dr. Aleta Edwards is to the human race!!!!

Everyday, I find more and more to work on, if it weren't for the Forum and Sott, I would be totally lost.

Could barely eat my pork chop for the tears and blowing my nose, It makes a big difference to know there is people like Dr. Edwards in this world.

I think what my biggest problem about the forum, is a feeling of shame, because I have a really hard time expressing myself as an adult, so far it's been in a bubble or superficial.

There is a lot damned up inside, therapy is out of the equation, plus, they would lock me up and medicate me, if they knew some of the things I can see when I shut my eyes. :cool2:

Am coming to grips with things as they are, as much as possible.

In your debt forever,
Anita

anitasweetie said:
Thank you for this show!
What a wonderful gift, Dr. Aleta Edwards is to the human race!!!!

Everyday, I find more and more to work on, if it weren't for the Forum and Sott, I would be totally lost.

Could barely eat my pork chop for the tears and blowing my nose, It makes a big difference to know there is people like Dr. Edwards in this world.

I think what my biggest problem about the forum, is a feeling of shame, because I have a really hard time expressing myself as an adult, so far it's been in a bubble or superficial.

There is a lot damned up inside, therapy is out of the equation, plus, they would lock me up and medicate me, if they knew some of the things I can see when I shut my eyes. :cool2:

It depends on the things that you see, I think. Maybe it is just part of the shame that you feel that makes you think that you are somehow insane? Or that people will think that you are insane?

Those dams can be dismantled (slowly), also with the help of EE and the diet and the books that you find here. It's one step at a time and lots of people have gone before you.

Thanks a lot for the show, crew. I thought your questions were excellent, sensitive and insightful. Just listening to Aleta's voice was therapeutic in itself. You all did a very fine job. I am going to listen to it a couple of times more.

Added: Thank you also for all the comments, it is really interesting to read what people come up with after the show.

Back
Top Bottom