Show #58: Information theory, or why your brain is not your mind

Joe

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Sunday March 23rd, 2014: Information theory, or why your brain is not your mind

Is your brain really your mind? Is matter the only thing in the universe? Does neo-Darwinism fully explain evolution? In the last few years, we've seen several controversies erupt in the worlds of science and academia, from Rupert Sheldrake's banned TEDx talk to philosopher Thomas Nagel's infamous book Mind and Cosmos, both of which question the modern scientific worldview and its account of the origins of life, the universe, and consciousness. What should we make of it all? Does the mainstream view really explain the world as we know it, or are there better options?

Returning to SOTT Talk Radio this week is Harrison Koehli, writer and editor for Red Pill Press, to talk about his upcoming book on these topics, tentatively titled Mind Matters. The book takes a hard look at the modern scientific worldview, its inherent absurdities, the facts it ignores, and a possible way out of its seemingly insoluble problems: information theory. We'll also be discussing the recent and enigmatic disappearance of Malaysian Airlines Flight 370, and why we shouldn't exclude the possibility that it might have a paranormal explanation. Our reality may be way more paranormal than we think.

Harrison will also give some updates on new and upcoming publications from Red Pill Press.

Join us this Sunday March 23rd, 2014 from 3-5pm EST (12-2pm PST, 8-10pm CET)

Yes good stuff to come. I was going to suggest that Harrison return for another show on the guest suggestion thread a few weeks back, I can't remember why I didn't. No matter, he's back! :)

I'm looking forward to it, especially Harrison talking about his book. I'm very curious about its contents. I'm interested in everything with respect to mind, brain and consciousness.

I find Harrison's writing style a bit challenging :rolleyes: particularly when translating his articles into Polish (I had a chance to do it some time ago), but I admire his ability to make a cross-section analysis and to handle difficult topics from various angles with such an ease.

Kasia said:
I'm looking forward to it, especially Harrison talking about his book. I'm very curious about its contents. I'm interested in everything with respect to mind, brain and consciousness.

Absolutely! Sounds like its going to be another great show.

For those who don't know Thomas Nagel's latest stance on philosophy and science, and why he and his book are so criticised, I recommend reading the amusing debate in the link below:

http://www.sott.net/article/260160-The-Heretic-Who-is-Thomas-Nagel-and-why-are-so-many-of-his-fellow-academics-condemning-him

I too am looking forward to this show and hearing more about Harrison Koehli's new book.

In the US we are taught early and often to stay away from 'politics and religion' during conversations to avoid arguments. And there is now a growing concern I have noticed that this is happening to 'science'. For this reason I am grateful to the members of this Forum, SoTT and the FotCM to address these issues and pursue Truth and Knowledge.

As Political Ponerology did for politics and Laura's books did for history & religion, I look forward to reading Mind Matters to deepen my understanding of Information Theory and the state of today's so-called 'science'.

Back
Top Bottom