Smoking is... good?

I ran across this video on a pro-tobacco Facebook group. It's called 'Dave Chappelle Explained: Why Smart People Smoke'. It's about 10+ minutes and given all the anti-tobacco nonsense, it's refreshing to listen to something more objective:

I ran across this video on a pro-tobacco Facebook group. It's called 'Dave Chappelle Explained: Why Smart People Smoke'. It's about 10+ minutes and given all the anti-tobacco nonsense, it's refreshing to listen to something more objective:

He made an interesting point that it wasn't the billions spent on health awareness that dropped dramatically the number of smokers from the 1960's to the present. It was basically the banning of smoking just about everywhere, and the acute social stigma, (call it shaming), associated with it, that was the over riding factor.

That seems to be the same method they used to get high rates of vaccinations. People didn't get the jabs because they thought it was the best thing for their health. They did it because they didn't want the hassle, and possibly losing their jobs and being outcasts in their own social and family circles.

Seems to be a favorite tactic of theirs...

Very interesting points made Meg, and H20, plus it also explains why I don't go to bars or cinemas any longer. I just stay at home where I can do as I please. I don't find it a big factor, I simply choose to spend my quality time in a place where I'm free to behave as I want. The theory that smoking aids cognition is an interesting one. I often procrastinate with a ciggie. It buys me some much needed thinking time. The longest I've gone without a smoke since starting is 25 hours, when I was in hospital in 2020. Practically the very first thing I did when I got home was spark up. And I was on morphine from the hospital visit, yikes! Not even that overtook my desire for a smoke. No doubt I'm addicted, but I do think moderation is the key.

That seems to be the same method they used to get high rates of vaccinations. People didn't get the jabs because they thought it was the best thing for their health. They did it because they didn't want the hassle, and possibly losing their jobs and being outcasts in their own social and family circles.
As for the covid-pinprick schtick, would say that perhaps 'some' or 'many' actually did so because they indeed truly thought it best health-wise (due to their susceptibility of being repeatedly told by their peers in life that it is best - smoking included as is known), for the same reason they willing do so to their very own children without a second thought. Followers: the crowd.

A crowd is not merely impulsive and mobile. Like a savage, it is not prepared to admit that anything can come between its desire and the realisation of its desire.
-- Gustave Le Bon
The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
-- Gustave Le Bon

You are correct, too, people's fears have accumulated at the thought of being shutout of their work, friends and family, the bar's and restaurants, the hockey arena and grandma's hearth (smoking before). The manipulation by enacting Orders was a stupendous step, knowing exactly where to hit those not willing to do it for their health reasons alone - shamed into doing it was a constant. If, and it probably will, they move people to a 2.0 future health 'order' system, many might then say "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me," and will dig in their heels because the manipulation in time has been well revealed in their minds. However, the power of the crowd does not go away, and they may or will submit again. The counter to any remaining 'hesitancy' seems also to be in the designed reality steps of a total QR-code financial system that limits opting out - keeps people from stepping out of line. Once done, health orders would no longer be required because you either are or you are not in financial compliance, period.

1651943556473.png

I've this old insurance policy wherein it is coming up for renewal:
They keep calling me.
I'm blacklisted as a smoker.
The premiums are going to be exponential.
So, I asked, just be clear if I told you that I drank a 26're of Whiskey everyday, no problem, right? Yes, no problem. If told that I'm quadrupled vaxxed, eat Big Mac's everyday and never limit myself internally or externally to toxic environments (less smoking though), no problem, right? Yes, no problem at all - but smoking, ah, this is a deep problem, it must be verboten or else you pay... (rant).

That was fun. Thanks.

He made an interesting point that it wasn't the billions spent on health awareness that dropped dramatically the number of smokers from the 1960's to the present. It was basically the banning of smoking just about everywhere, and the acute social stigma, (call it shaming), associated with it, that was the over riding factor.
And probably also the astounding (and continuously escalating) taxation of tobacco products.

Hi!

I wonder about the general benefits of using tobacco that does not involve smoking it. There are other forms, like chewing tobacco and snus. Snus is widely used in Norway and Sweden and smoking seems almost non-existent here now.

When you "snus" you put tobacco under your upper lip to get the nicotine into the bloodstream. My impression is that the smoke itself also provides some beneficial effects that you don't get while just having the tobacco under your lip. But I wonder if it's still helpful to use snus or if I am fooling myself that it's good to use because of the nicotine? Even though I have been "snusning" quite heavily for over 15 years my gum and teeth are in good shape according to my dentist.

Any thought on this subject is much appreciated :)

I’ve searched and looked into the topic this morning, and I will later look into it more.

It’s worth bringing the question here: what effects does smoking on an empty stomach have?

One source I found claimed that smoking on an empty stomach affects stomach acidity and bile secretion, so that acid can be released and damage your stomach lining because there is no food lining your stomach or there to digest.

I’ll look into this more and share what I find in a summary. Any 2 cents?

I have been rolling my cigarettes for many years now and I am getting a bit tired of it. So I tried a tube filling machine in order to have some more comfort. So far the results are disappointing because the tubes burn down like crazy.

A hand rolled cigarette with my favourite halfzware tobacco can last 10 minutes or more. When I use a tube filler with the same tobacco the cigarette will last only about 4 minutes. Also it burns down by itself without taking a pull.

I have been trying to compact the tobacco some more but the machine has its limits and I could not solve the problem by this. The only way I could slow down the fast burn was to moisturize the tobacco to a degree that it would not want to burn in a hand rolled cigarette. It did, however, burn in the tube.

I have been using halfzware fine cut tobacco, OCB papers and OCB tubes. It might be possible that the composition of papers and tubes is different. Maybe there are slow burning tubes. I don't know.

Did anybody here have similar problems and found a solution?

Did anybody here have similar problems and found a solution?
I had similar experience when I used tubes few years back. The brand was Rizla, and the cigarettes were very 'airy'. So I had to smoke them a lot more than usual hand rolled ones.

There appears to be a lot of that kind of filling machines on the market, but no matter what brand, they seem to have same kind of mechanism.

I watched couple of Youtube reviews of such machines, but it wasn't mentioned how satisfying smokes one gets, when using tubes. Maybe they were sponsored or something to just advertise product and nothing else.

I once heard that taylor made cigarettes had saltpetre - potassium nitrate - in them and that's why they burn away so quickly. It's also an ingredient of gun powder. Perhaps the tubes that you bought had it in them to? Back when I used to smoke taylor mades, I remember hearing a crackling noise when I inhaled. They also used to continue burning if you put them down in the ash tray. My rolled tobacco goes out if I put it down.

I smoke American Spirit and roll my own, and the ciggie only burns when smoked, it's my fave brand by a mile. I gave up smoking mass produced cigs back in 1999, too expensive and yes, wasteful. It took me years to perfect my rolling technique but the trick is in my case using less tobacco in a rollie. I also don't roll them too tightly, so there's a bit of air room in them.

I'd recommend trying American Spirit over haflzware (I smoked that in 1999-2006), the smoke is more satisfying and thus you don't have to smoke as many cigs. They also come in packs of 20, so you don't have to roll your own if you don't want to.

I once heard that taylor made cigarettes had saltpetre - potassium nitrate - in them and that's why they burn away so quickly. It's also an ingredient of gun powder. Perhaps the tubes that you bought had it in them to? Back when I used to smoke taylor mades, I remember hearing a crackling noise when I inhaled. They also used to continue burning if you put them down in the ash tray. My rolled tobacco goes out if I put it down.
That may be possible but is not necessarily the case for cigarette tubes. According to a vendor the main difference between tubes is in the micro perforation. Some have it, others don't. Those with micro perforation burn faster.

I smoke American Spirit and roll my own, and the ciggie only burns when smoked, it's my fave brand by a mile. I gave up smoking mass produced cigs back in 1999, too expensive and yes, wasteful. It took me years to perfect my rolling technique but the trick is in my case using less tobacco in a rollie. I also don't roll them too tightly, so there's a bit of air room in them.

I'd recommend trying American Spirit over haflzware (I smoked that in 1999-2006), the smoke is more satisfying and thus you don't have to smoke as many cigs. They also come in packs of 20, so you don't have to roll your own if you don't want to.
I took this as an inspiration for a little experiment: I rolled some cigarettes in SlipNet style with less tobacco and more air. It turned out that the OCB papers with an airy roll still burned slower than the OCB tubes. So it is quite likely that the tubes have micro perforation and the papers do not.

It is great fun to do some scientific smoking. Unfortunately I am back to square one and my initial question: where can I get slow burning tubes? Of course I will ask a vendor or two but my hopes are not high to get competent answers.

@SlipNet
On a sidenote, dear SlipNet, it puzzles me that you are getting taste out of American Spirit. Last time I smoked it, it was more like the dessert wind passing over a camp fire. This was some years ago and at that time AS was a bone dry virginia.

Maybe they changed their recipe or I should upgrade my taste buds.

@SlipNet
On a sidenote, dear SlipNet, it puzzles me that you are getting taste out of American Spirit. Last time I smoked it, it was more like the dessert wind passing over a camp fire. This was some years ago and at that time AS was a bone dry virginia.

Maybe they changed their recipe or I should upgrade my taste buds.

Well, it's probably me with the odd taste buds. I tend to favour dry tobacco over the moist halfzware I used to smoke. Plus it lasts me longer. Also the hit is strong, so I don't have to smoke so many. I used to smoke cigars for the extra strength too. Most of my friends never inhaled from a cigar, but that always struck me as pointless. I used to smoke about 3 cigars a week I suppose. So dry and strong is how my needs are met, obviously not gonna work for you. :-)

Back
Top Bottom