Smoking is... good?

Smoking prevalence among US & International adults

Although I've not yet had much time to look at the site http://www.forces.org/evidence/evid/bans.htm, it contains several links which seem to suggest that smoking rates have not decreased at all, particularly with the younger demographic. Of course, this may be because some of the studies look at specific locations and age-groups, and not overall statistics.

In any case, it is an interesting site, with some good links to various suppressed or ignored data related to the lack of evidence for the ill-effects of smoking. Apart from data, the site also addresses the dynamics and motivations behind the anti-smoking campaign. It's certainly worth a look.

As a 2 pack-a-day smoker myself,I understand the feelings towards media manipulation about the subject,but I just cannot understand what is so hard to believe about the dangers of inhaling the equivalent of a campfire everday.Yes, I heard what Laura had to say on their last podcast about how it triggers certain neuro-transmitters, or something to that effect,which in turn helps to think better.
I am not going to buy into the crap about 2nd hand smoke,mind you,having lived near Boston almost all my life,just walking outside in that city during the summertime is far worse than the cigarette emitting that little trail of smoke next to you.
I do,however,feel that it is a disgusting habit,second only to putting a wad of chew in your mouth.I feel the life draining out of me everyday.I know it isn't healthy just by how I feel.That ,coupled with the fact that I have seen first hand what can happen.Case in point,my mother,at the ripe old age of 52,was diagnosed with lung cancer that had metastecized (hope I spelled that right) to other major organs including her brain via the pulmonary and cardio-vascular...something or other (just para-phrasing the doctors).
I guess what I am trying to get at is that I'm just not sure that it is in the best interest of a venue such as this wonderful website to try and convey the message about the subject.Maybe I'm mis-interpretting this phrase but, As above,So below.
They should'nt shove anit-smoking down our throats,but at the same time,I dont think we should be fooling ourselves by trying to come up with little facts aboiut the benifits of smoking.The only benifit I can see is an earlier death.
My cat loves to come sit with me when im here at the computer but you should see her face when she gets even the slightest wiff of my cigarette.You would think I was hurling a rock at her or something.In other words,it doesn't take a 3rd density being to realize that it just isn't good.
P.S. What is so good about the firing up of these neuro-transmitters,if the brain is rendered useless by cancer?

I agree with Danny. In addition, any substance that generates a heroin-like physical addiction is pretty suspect (being a 1-pack/day smoker I know how hard it is to quit). On the other hand, I did read that between smoking and eating fast food, sugars and toxins such as aspartame, smoking is by far the lesser evil. One doctor advised that it is best to first wean oneself off of these other poisons and save the quitting from smoking last.

That's because most people when trying to quit smoking substitute one habit for many others far worse. Often people who quit smoking even go on antidepressants (since nicotine has an antidepressant effect), and I wonder how many quitters have become Big Pharma customers?

One also has to wonder why such a "war on drugs" attack on smoking when poisons are being constantly approved by the FDA every day? Is it to push a stressed out public to other substances, or just an excuse to harass people?

Keep in mind that we have never said that smoking was good for everyone. If you feel like you're having the life drained out of you, then you probably shouldn't be doing it, or maybe you should change to something lighter. Different tobaccos have different affects on different people.

It may also be linked to blood type, but that is based on anecdotal evidence, nothing scientific.

I know that I feel a real difference in my ability to think clearly with tobacco. I used to smoke blue Drum, but it made me sick every few months. Sonce I changed to the yellow Drum, I don't have that problem anymore.

A transcript related to this current debate was made when Laura asked the C's about health and diet. Here are some interesting comments that were made (from http://www.cassiopaea.org/cass/diet.htm):

A: Those who fit this profile [of having a predisposition to smoke] find it nearly impossible to "quit" completely.
Q: So, there are people who are actually benefited by smoking?
A: Genetics will offer proof of this.

Q: Ark doesn't need to smoke, does he?
A: No. He does not fit the profile. He actually had to "work" to start smoking.
I'm a non-smoker myself, but know several smokers. I do know of people who noticed a drastic increase in their level of physical fitness after giving up smoking. But this doesn't automatically mean that smoking is bad for everyone. If this was true, then you would never hear of 90-year-olds who are so-called chain-smokers, and I have heard of plenty of those; I even had a relative who fit this description. I used to be completely anti-smoking, but now I accept that there do seem to be many people who benefit from the habit; I also believe that ill-effects of smoking do exist for some people, but that the media hype, which implies that everyone is equally at risk from smoking, is a gross exaggeration.

What really irritates me now more than ever are the endless advertisements on television telling people of the dangers of smoking, but there is not an equivalent level of advertising informing people of the dangers of excessive alcohol consumption. (In Australia they are now starting to put graphic illustrations of cancer victims on cigarette packs, something I find to be quite offensive.) Since I know someone who is an alcoholic, I know that the habits of such people can have many more far-reaching consequences than smoking. Alcoholism destroys families in many ways, the most extreme example being that other people's lives are taken away because of drink-driving. A person not suited to smoking may indeed die of lung cancer, but they have only killed themselves, not some other innocent person.

I've been smoking cigarettes for 10 years now and I had a couple occasions to test my physical condition when I was giving up smoking. I had a couple of 5 months breaks form tabacco and haven't noticed any increase in fitness. I ride in-line skates and ice-sketes a lot, so it was easy to compare how body behaves in those two situations. Only unpleasant reaction I had was dry throat, but after combining cigarettes and alcohol, so instead of tabacco, I quit drinking alcohol almost completely. I smoke and I'm completely ok with it - I just feel good. C's have validated my viewpoint and I must say, that was quite a relief.

I consider the anti-smoking campaign to be treacherous, deceiving and extremely harmfull. One doesn't do much good instigating fear in people, to the contrary - one just makes individual's condition even worse. In fact, fear can be quite a creative force, I mean strong fear often brings the feared condition/situation to life. I've read it in scn materials, tested it myself and observed it in others too, so I'm quite convinced about that statement.
So what we've got now? Milions of propagandized self-fulfilling prophecies on every pack of cigarettes, billboards, placards, tv spots and what not. What an insidious tactics.. And since when scaring people is a favourable method of pulling them out of addictions?

"And since when scaring people is a favourable method of pulling them out of addictions?"

That isn't the point, the message says "you cannot sue the manufacturers, we told you it will kill you in BIG LETTERS". In Britain it will soon be illegal to smoke in any closed public space, the message is "you cannot sue your employer if you get cancer".

Money as always.

I wonder if there is a blood type connection to being able to smoke tobacco. I've tried smoking cigarettes, and was left nauseated with a sinking feeling in my chest that scared the heck out of me. I was sick for a while afterward. My blood type is AB-, so I wonder if any other type AB people are able to smoke successfully? I've considered trying a mild pipe tobacco to see if that was any better. Any ideas?

Smoking is a personal decision.
Yours to decide.
I like to smoke.
Heck, I like beer too.
Cigarettes & beer to me are like cookies and milk to some others.
Some of life’s few enjoyments, I may say...
Back to smoking...
I smoke, and I have manners.
I respect non-smokers, and their requests.
I make accommodations.
But, many do not have manners and do not respect smokers.
They feel that a smoker is a basic low life.
I must also state that I know of smokers that have no manners.
Rude is rude...
The television is teaching children to Stand Up.
Yeah, right...
Teaching them to get into my face, with prejudice.
Social engineering marches on…

I smoke American Spirit tobacco with Tally-Ho papers and OCB 9 millimeter filters.

I roll them into perfectly tubular cigarettes with a machine-lid tobacco tin (like Yorkshire farmers have) that my girlfriend bought me on my birthday.

Most rolling tobacco brands have a lot of chemical additives in. I don't know if Drum does, but I feel sick if I smoke those things.

anart said:
I wonder if there is a blood type connection to being able to smoke tobacco. I've tried smoking cigarettes, and was left nauseated with a sinking feeling in my chest that scared the heck out of me. I was sick for a while afterward. My blood type is AB-, so I wonder if any other type AB people are able to smoke successfully? I've considered trying a mild pipe tobacco to see if that was any better. Any ideas?
Have you thought about snuff? I'm sure you can still buy that at old-school tobacconists.

"I've tried smoking cigarettes, and was left nauseated with a sinking feeling in my chest that scared the heck out of me."

That's what it does at first. You're just lucky it was so bad. Smoking is a seriously awful idea because you get to be a junkie with withdrawl symptons every 10 minutes very quickly. It also destroys your mind and body as you may have heard ! I gave up twice, very unpleasant trips they were too.

scollon said:
"Smoking is a seriously awful idea because you get to be a junkie with withdrawl symptons every 10 minutes very quickly. It also destroys your mind and body as you may have heard !
With all due respect scollon, please don't preach.
Haven't you opened your mind yet that "ALL" is possible?
So please do not talk in absolutes.
Thank you very much.

Sorry about that scollon.
I regret the "Haven't you opened your mind yet that "ALL" is possible?" comment.
Sometimes I let my emotions get the best of me.
That's none of my business and rude.
See my comment above about rudeness.

jake tassell said:
Have you thought about snuff? I'm sure you can still buy that at old-school tobacconists.
Why do I see myself on an Appalachian wooden front porch with a spitoon at my feet when I think of snuff? Maybe it's the Granny Clampet connection =). Seriously, though, I'll check into it, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom