Smoking is... good?

Mari said:
Tnx! :)

Well, my toughs are something like this;
A lot of people (myself included) smoke like all the time and everywhere; waiting on a bus, going somewhere, in the car, waiting to time passes, when working, when relaxing,.... So, every time you have free hands is a good time to have a smoke. There is even a saying from where I come form: "you are never alone with a cigarette".

So, maybe there should be a balance.

A: Not if mild. Not if mind is in right mode.

Meaning; one example (not a great one, but here we go) that comes to my mind is wizard Gandalf from Lord of the rings; he didn't smoke while they were on the quest - he was smoking after great battle or while brainstorming on the One ring, etc.

So, this is very different from what I wrote above.

I'm working from home and I look at myself; when I'm working on projects I'm like chain-smoker.
But, I also smoke wherever I go - waiting on a tram, in a car,...
So there is a difference between smoking "when you feel like you need one for the mind" and smoking "just because"..... :)

....just brainstorming here because we all here have got a great "licence to smoke" from C´s and other research; I was laughing A LOT when I was reading this part:
Session Date: February 13th 2011
A: Smoking tobacco is a clue and an aid.
Q: (L) A clue to the genetic profile?
A: Yes.
Q: (Psyche) Oh, interesting. [everyone lights a cigarette and starts laughing] (Psyche) Everybody lights up! I feel like smoking! (laughter)

But as in all things, the right balance should be found, IMHO... :/

Mari,

I see what you mean about the balance. When I was in my 20s I was kind of like a chain-smoker too. Maybe it has something to do with age as far as how much we smoke. I don't know but I do think there will be many situations for you to practice moderation. I don't smoke inside the house out of external consideration for my family and there is so much negativity being programmed into the psyche of the public that soon we may be very limited on where and how much we are able to smoke.

I have thought about how difficult it is to persuade others we want to be healthy and talk about our food choices and other health issues while at the same time lighting up.

It sounds like you see your own dilemma and are willing to deal with the balance problem. I wish you success in finding that balance. It's something that for me seems a little more self-regulated. Also, with the cost of tobacco and the ever increasing restrictions we may be concerned for little reason. :cool2: I don't really think many see it as "cool" these days. :cool2:

How to get a smoke from tobacco dust?

I don't think this has been raised/solved before on this thread; I did a forum search but nothing came up...

Anyhow, has anyone come up with a genius idea on how to use tobacco dust? Having been through a number of organic rolling tobaccos since I went back smoking three years ago I finally settled on Pueblo; it seems to suit me and most importantly its the only organic or additive free tobacco I can readily get my hands on in the island of Ireland (and that's by traveling to the 'North', but don't tell anyone!) as its illegal here - no comment!

I'm happy with it but it but the very fine, untreated nature of it means it produces a large quantity of fine dust - near enough 1/6th of each 500g bag I buy. That's a lot of waste, especially as its not exactly cheap. I sieve it out and keep it but when I try to turn it into a rollie it grates the back of my throat and isn't exactly the best of smokes (plus I have to use cotton wool in the tip to stop me inhaling it :huh: Not terribly happy with that idea and its not exactly my idea of a cool smoke :cool2:)

Other than throwing it away (which seems a waste) has a suggestion on how it could be recycled into something close to a descent puff?

Many thanks

You can use tobacco dust as a natural pesticide. Leaf Only has a recipe on their site.

Tobacco Leaves as a Natural Pesticide

More from Wikipedia:

Tobacco water, tobacco juice, tobacco dust juice or tobacco lime is a traditional organic insecticide used in domestic gardening.[1][2] In The English Physician Enlarged of 1681, Nicholas Culpeper recommends tobacco juice to kill lice on children's heads, referencing it as an insecticide poison. Farmers have been using nicotine sulfate insecticide since the early 19th century.

Tobacco water is produced by boiling strong tobacco in water, or by steeping the tobacco in water for a longer period. When cool, the mixture can be applied with a spray, or 'painted' on to the leaves of garden plants, where it will prove deadly to insects. [citation needed]

Tobacco dust juice has a similar use but is produced by mixing water with tobacco dust and black pepper.

Basque angulero fishermen kill immature eels (elvers) in an infusion of tobacco leaves before parboiling them in salty water for transportation to market as angulas, a seasonal delicacy.[3]

When I was smoking cigarettes the last cigarette or two at the bottom of the bag would just be made of dust. I made sure I licked the paper around the filter well so it would stick and no dust would get past the filter. You just have to make sure you keep the open end straight up so the dust doesn't fall out. Or twist it a bit to close it off.

Thanks Menrva, 3D Student and Goemon for thoughts. Yes Menerva I had come across the use of Tobacco dust as pesticide before. Certainly a good use for some of it if we get a summer next year! I think I've tended to collect the dust in too great a quantity rather than mixing it as you suggest Goemon so that towards the end of a the bag I've just got too much to go round! Like you and 3D Student say its about being careful with the way one uses filter paper and the balance between leaf and dust so as to get use but not be so dominant that dust blow back kicks in as you inhale. Off to practise! :cool2:

If this was added once before in another thread, my apologies. In this I offer a quote on smoking from a man many have come to know in life through his words, Mark Twain. In the address on the 70th birthday of Mr. Clemens, Twian spoke:

ADDRESS AT A DINNER GIVEN BY COLONEL GEORGE HARVEY
AT DELMONICO'S, DECEMBER 5, 1905,
TO CELEBRATE THE SEVENTIETH ANNIVERSARY OF MR. CLEMENS' BIRTH

...I have made it a rule never to smoke more than one cigar at a time. I have no other restriction as regards smoking. I do not know just when I began to smoke, I only know that it was in my father's lifetime, and that I was discreet. He passed from this life early in 1847, when I was a shade past eleven; ever since then I have smoked publicly. As an example to others, and not that I care for moderation myself, it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep, and never to refrain when awake. It is a good rule. I mean, for me; but some of you know quite well that it wouldn't answer for everybody that's trying to get to be seventy.

I smoke in bed until I have to go to sleep; I wake up in the night, sometimes once, sometimes twice, sometimes three times, and I never waste any of these opportunities to smoke. This habit is so old and dear and precious to me that I would feel as you, sir, would feel if you should lose the only moral you've got -- meaning the chairman -- if you've got one: I am making no charges. I will grant, here, that I have stopped smoking now and then, for a few months at a time, but it was not on principle, it was only to show off; it was to pulverize those critics who said I was a slave to my habits and couldn't break my bonds.

To-day it is all of sixty years since I began to smoke the limit. I have never bought cigars with life-belts around them. I early found that those were too expensive for me. I have always bought cheap cigars -- reasonably cheap, at any rate. Sixty years ago they cost me four dollars a barrel, but my taste has improved, latterly, and I pay seven now. Six or seven. Seven, I think. Yes, it's seven. But that includes the barrel. I often have smoking-parties at my house; but the people that come have always just taken the pledge. I wonder why that is?...
:D

The whole speech is here http://twain.lib.virginia.edu/onstage/70bday.html

I have some thoughts and observations to make having been a smoker since 1998.

Pueblo and American Spirit are probably my favoured choices of tobacco, but I am soon going to be making the switch over to becoming a pipe smoker instead, because I'm getting bored by rollies.

I've rolled my own since about 2000, and I just don't enjoy them any more, they seem kinda weak, they don't satisfy the craving, and chain-smoking, which I've done, does nothing to help either. I'm not about to give up smoking; quite the contrary, I just need a delivery method which is a little stronger.

I agree with the novelist Will Self, when he says that tobacco is a soft-acting psycho-active substance, which demonstrably be shown to enhance cognition in subtle ways. It greases the wheels. :cool2:

So I've decided that I've gotta either smoke a pipe or switch to cigars, which is a tremendous (you get a really hefty dose in a good cigar; one cigar can easily last you an evening) step up but conversely I'll end up smoking less, thus saving money to boot.

So I'm just wondering if anyone out there knows of the best brands of pipe tobacco in their opinion? I'm fine on what makes a good cigar.

SlipNet said:
I have some thoughts and observations to make having been a smoker since 1998.

Pueblo and American Spirit are probably my favoured choices of tobacco, but I am soon going to be making the switch over to becoming a pipe smoker instead, because I'm getting bored by rollies.

I've rolled my own since about 2000, and I just don't enjoy them any more, they seem kinda weak, they don't satisfy the craving, and chain-smoking, which I've done, does nothing to help either. I'm not about to give up smoking; quite the contrary, I just need a delivery method which is a little stronger.

I agree with the novelist Will Self, when he says that tobacco is a soft-acting psycho-active substance, which demonstrably be shown to enhance cognition in subtle ways. It greases the wheels. :cool2:

So I've decided that I've gotta either smoke a pipe or switch to cigars, which is a tremendous (you get a really hefty dose in a good cigar; one cigar can easily last you an evening) step up but conversely I'll end up smoking less, thus saving money to boot.

So I'm just wondering if anyone out there knows of the best brands of pipe tobacco in their opinion? I'm fine on what makes a good cigar.

A while back, I tried a lot of pipe tobaccos, and the ones I liked, and found the strongest were:

Dunhill Nightcap
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/459/dunhill-nightcap

And Dunhill Royal Yacht
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/461/dunhill-royal-yacht

Both are high in nicotine, and pleasant smokes.

I gave up buying them, as the taxes here in Canada made them prohibitively expensive.

Now I roll my own cigars, and the leftover bits, I either roll, or smoke in a pipe.

SlipNet said:

Well. that is a difficult question. It all depends on your tastes. And it also depends where you live. Greatest choice in the USA and also the cheapest place to buy. The Eu also has a good range of different tobacco but it is more expensive.There are so many different and tasty pipe tobaccos, in so many different formats.

Many people start by smoking aromatics, which typically have been flavoured. A good example is Lane 1Q which is ubiquitous, everyone sells it. It is mildly vanilla flavoured. A good place to start is the US site smokingpipe.com (www.smokingpipes.com.) If you navigate to the tobacco section and then look at the top seller list , you have a great place to start. You might also look at tobaccoreviews.com where you will get multiple opinions on almost any tobacco you can find for sale anywhere.

You will need to acquire a pipe or 3, typically it is recommended to rest a pipe for 24 hours after it is smoked so you will need a few to get yourself through the week. eBay is a great source of second hand pipes (called estate pipes). Take care as you can spend a fortune on pipes. For starters brands like Petersons, Savinelli, Vauen, Brebbia, Winslow will all work well for you and you can usually get a deal on an estate pipe on eBay. Just sanity check the new prices on Smokingpipes to make sue you are not overpaying.

Loosely speaking there are 3 major categories of tobacco.
* aromatics which are flavoured, but which can be thick and goopy
* "english" blends which have latakia in them and are an acquired smoky barbecue taste
* virginias - essentially virginia tobacco as the major ingredient. A subset is know as a VaPer, as it has Virginia mixed with a peppery local indian fermented tobacco called perique. I find I can only tolerate this in very small doese so I tend not to use it.

Then there are the formats - ready rubbed and flake are the two major styles. Flake is compressed and is a little more tricky to smoke for the beginner.

Have fun. Just be careful you don't end up with a pipe or tobacco acquisition obsession. All too easily done it seems.

Thanks for the replies, I'll look into my UK pipe smoking options this week.

I've really lifted a stone on this one, there seems to be tons of different choices, as there would be. I'll google some sites and do some research.

From the book Adding Neurotherapy to Your Practice: Clinician’s Guide to the ClinicalQ, Neurofeedback, and Braindriving by Paul G. Swingle:
https://www.amazon.com/Adding-Neurotherapy-Your-Practice-Neurofeedback/dp/3319155261/
Nicotine
Temporary increase in Alpha Peak Frequency (APF).

Racetams (like nicotine) increase Alpha Peak Frequency and are used to enhance mental functioning in a wide range of conditions. Also these drugs are used illicitly as “smart drugs” for improving academic performance.

Alpha Peak Frequency is the critical neurological marker for good brain efficiency. When APF is compromised the patient’s effective response to virtually the entire array of treatment options is negatively affected.

Protein found in tobacco plant has potential to fight life-threatening infectious diseases
May 17, 2018, La Trobe University

A team of scientists from Melbourne's La Trobe University has shown a protein found in a tobacco plant has the potential to fight life-threatening infectious diseases.

The scientific discovery, published in the prestigious journal Nature Communications, could lead to the development of a new class of antibiotics and meet the challenge of rising antibiotic resistance.

Dr. Mark Hulett and Dr. Marc Kvansakul from the La Trobe Institute for Molecular Science said their team had demonstrated the peptide NaD1 found in the flowers of the ornamental tobacco plant Nicotiana alata has infection-busting qualities.

"Infectious diseases are a major global health problem, accounting for more than one in eight deaths and mortality rates are predicted to skyrocket over the next 30 years," Dr. Hulett said.

"Antibiotic resistance at the current rate will eventually lead to the exhaustion of effective long-term drug options. It's imperative we develop new antibiotic treatments."

Using the power of the Australian Synchrotron, the team led by Dr. Hulett and Dr. Kvansakul have shown in atomic detail how the tobacco plant peptide can target and destroy the micro-organism responsible for a dangerous fungal infection.

The peptide perforates the parachute-like outer layer of Candida albicans cells, ripping them apart and causing them to explode and die.

"They act in a different way to existing antibiotics and allow us to explore new ways of fighting infections.

"It's an exciting discovery that could be harnessed to develop a new class of life-saving antimicrobial therapy to treat a range of infectious diseases, including multidrug-resistant golden staph, and viral infections such as HIV, Zika virus, Dengue and Murray River Encephalitis."

In 2014, Dr. Hulett and Dr. Kvansakul found NaD1 could also be effective in killing cancer cells.

In this bulletproof podcast, Dave Asprey interviews Dr. Paul Newhouse, director of the Vanderbilt Center for Cognitive Medicine in the department of Psychiatry and behavioral science at Vanderbilt.

I haven't listened to it yet, but the show notes are interesting:

https://blog.bulletproof.com/paul-n...Feed:+bulletproofexec+(Bulletproof+Executive)

"What nicotinic receptors do is they act like gain enhancers. The modulate the gain of a particular neurochemical event. If you stimulate a nicotinic receptor that’s sitting pre-synaptically or sort of in the end of an axon and you get more bang for your buck when a signal comes along." -Dr. Newhouse

Back
Top Bottom