Smoking is... good?

I have the feeling that a lot of things are subjected to balance. Vitamin C is good, too much vitamin C and you go the toilet and miss this Saturday concert.
So, what i am asking myself here is, "what is the right quantity of tobacco to smoke"? Is there a limit? If tobacco is good, can it be bad if you take too much of it? What amount is not too much? What amount is too much?
Can we determine a sign for this?
When i look at people who smoke a lot, the more they can not smoke, the more they become aggressive and stressed. So, like alcohol and other things, nicotine can be a drug. When do we use it wisely and when do we use it in a morbid way?
So, do these people really are sane?

I don't smoke. Have taken a few drags to try it out but it never attracted me.

My issue with smoking is that when you are around smokers you bring that smell home in your clothing. That is mighty irritating in my case as I have a very sensitive nose.

Some years ago I seem to recall coming across a documetry which stated that the tabacco companies add chemicals which cause the smoker to take in more nicotine then if it was none treated tabacco leaves. So the obvious questions , is untreated tobacco harmful ?

Some years ago I seem to recall coming across a documetry which stated that the tabacco companies add chemicals which cause the smoker to take in more nicotine then if it was none treated tabacco leaves. So the obvious questions , is untreated tobacco harmful ?

Yep, if i remember well, it is theobromine, and it dilates the vessels in the lungs in order to take more nicotine.
The person is my girl and she is an American Spirit smoker, with brown natural paper. :)
The smell doesn't really upset me, the problem is the smoke for me.

Smoking the stuff for centuries by American Indians didn't kill them but meeting White Men did them in rather quickly. How ironic.

The White Man is such a parasite than they should have tripled their intake of tobacco! xD
Does this difference have something to do with fertilizers and pesticides?
And sorry, she smokes "Pueblo", not "American Spirit". :)

Does this difference have something to do with fertilizers and pesticides?
Good question but unfortunately I have no answer. Welllll .... you got me going there. I have something for you,

By the mid-sixties, concern over the health effects of tobacco was so great that the tobacco
companies begin looking at alternative nicotine delivery systems. Industry consultants and
scientists warned that because of carcinogens produced by the burning of tobacco, it would
never be possible to find a completely “safe” cigarette. By the seventies, the scientists
believed that they could still partially solve the problem and that a “safe” cigarette was still
the key to the industry’s future.
Also beginning in the mid-sixties, Philip Morris begins using ammonia in its cigarette
production. Ammonia transforms nicotine from a bound state to a free one, where it can be
more rapidly absorbed by the smoker. Ammonia technology is now widely used through the
industry.
By the late sixties companies were consciously defining “health orientated” cigarettes which
had reduced biological activity compared to those termed “health reassurance”, which were
marketed to reassure the customer about their health claims but actually offered no significant
health benefit.
By the early seventies companies were discussing ‘compensation’, whereby a smoker adjusts
their smoking pattern in order to get a specific level of nicotine – therefore a smoker using a
low tar product “compensates” for the low nicotine delivery by smoking more, an effect not
replicated in the official machine measurements. By the end of the decade, industry
researchers were even postulating that “the effect of switching to a low tar cigarette may be to
increase, not decrease, the risks of smoking”.

In their own words

Yeah, it is ammonia that makes the nicotine be free, but, the industry also adds (i don't know in what cigarettes) theobromine. Brazil even prohibited the use of these additives.

Hi All, just wanted to add my 2 cents. I've been an avid non smoking person my whole life. I NEVER would be seen defacing and polluting my body in such a reckless and purposeful way...
After much research after being challenged to deeply look into studies claiming that 'smoking causes cancer' I came back with no positive conclusion for this.
I have felt that this time in my journey and my experiencing constant psychological influence each day that smoking is my next step. After reading a book 'the Spontaneous healing of belief- shattering the paradigm of false limits ' it helped me understand our whole universe from the behaviour of the smallest protons, neutrons, electrons and how they are directly influenced by belief and intent- these make up both us and everything that exists. Therefore if we believe we will get cancer and we are damaging ourselves - as is shown graphically and in the language on all tobacco packets. If we accept and believe these lies we most surely surrender ourselves to the influence and control the government is attempting to have over our choices and health.
I have now been smoking for 2 weeks and I can tell you that my psychological attacks are drastically reduced instantly and I am so much free'er in mind. I have experienced the ignorant and uninformed judgemental attacks I have drowned my partner in for our 2.5 year relationship and sucked up my pride, reasoned with my ego and smoked the first cigarette in my life. I wouldn't even smoke it around my partner for fear I looked silly. As it was my informed choice to make I own it as it is truly another challenge for my 'i don't care what others think of me 'value I claim to hold.

So there you go, ignorance to the swallowing of pride and guilt. Challenging but so empowering.

Thank you for your post, ChristineJade. It's a credit to you that you were able to overcome your biases and, both, do some very deep research and, to then, start smoking. (I hope that you are not smoking the commercial cigarettes and are using roll-your-own tobacco.)

As the Cs have said, smoking is not for everyone and, I think, the only way to know if you are a smoker or not is to try it. The fact that it is having a beneficial affect on you would seem to show that you are a smoker. Kind of shows why those in control are trying to put the kabosh on people smoking, doesn't it?

This makes me wonder how many other people who are not smoking would benefit greatly from it and be able to start thinking in a more critical manner and, like you, "my psychological attacks are drastically reduced instantly and I am so much free'er in mind.".

Kudos to you! :headbanger:

(I hope that you are not smoking the commercial cigarettes and are using roll-your-own tobacco.)
Yes I am! And my goodness has it been frustrating trying to roll them! I am lots better now!

The fact that it is having a beneficial affect on you would seem to show that you are a smoker. Kind of shows why those in control are trying to put the kabosh on people smoking, doesn't it?
It really does seem that way! The radiation the last 3 days from the solar storm has really thrown me too (this is all I can point it to at this point). Haven't been able to smoke as I've been too nauseous in daylight hours. I have been able to resume then at night as when the sun is down my nausea, complete lethargy and headaches seem to immediately go away and it's just slight lethargy that remains. Has anyone else been affected by this? Or have any other ideas about it? Its a very big change from ny usual bubbly and motivated self. I am a very sensitive person to hormone influence and "all the feels" take me where they wish. Until smoking i have been very easily influenced to propagate negative emotion and in doing some research electromagnetic sensitivity symptoms hit the nail on the head in regards to the last 3 days... No I'm not pregnant either :P

benefit greatly from it and be able to start thinking in a more critical manner
The first hardest thing is swallowing your pride, and then you meet the second hardest thing - your family thinking your the biggest idiot of the century. Oh well! If only they lived inside my brain to see and live the benefits! Knowledge is protection :)

My Dad called me a d***head for saying I love being a smoker. I didn't blame him really, because the programming through all media is so all pervasive. I am a bit hotheaded though so we first got a little bit confrontational about it however, but it all smoothed out. Funnily, he's also a smoker, but his mind is a bit conflicted on it.

I've now been a smoker for 20 years and I've never regretted taking up the habit; it's provided me with tremendous stress relief through so many trying times and angst-ridden jobs. I think of us smokers as being a benign secret society. People mock us, condemn us, but deep down, for those of us who know the benefit, we know.

I've also discovered the benefits of smoking in dealing with stressful situations. Yesterday, my senior at work had requested a report and I was fumbling in my mind trying to think of what to write as the events happened a month ago. So what I did was, I read a whole bunch of previous reports and whatever information I could gather. Then I told myself - I'm going out to have a smoke and when I come back I'll write the report. I got out, into the hot sun and dust which felt very uncomfortable (it's a construction site), I had the smoke, at the same time I forced myself to recall what I read and pieced the information together in a way that seemed to flow well enough.

By the time I got to my desk, I was ready to write and boy did it work! I churned it out in 2 hours flat - sent it to my senior - and he walked past my cubicle giving me a smile and a nod, and that was it. Made my day!

Back
Top Bottom