Smoking is... good?

New Zealand to ban tobacco for people born after 2004 in move to stamp out smoking

New Zealand considers phasing out legal sale of tobacco
New Zealand considers phasing out legal sale of tobacco (MSN.com)

New Zealand is considering phasing out the legal sale of tobacco with a date-based ban on smoking products.

Lawmakers are mulling plans to gradually increase the legal age at which people can buy tobacco products as New Zealand aims to become smoke-free by 2025.

In a consultation document, the government said: “A smoke-free generation policy would prohibit the sale, and the supply in a public place, of smoked tobacco products to new cohorts from a specified date.

“For example, if legislation commenced on 1 January 2022, then people younger than 18 years at that time or those born after 1 January 2004 would never be able to lawfully be sold smoked tobacco products.”

Associate health minister Dr Ayesha Verrall said a “new approach” to smoking was needed as she warned that “business as usual ... won't get us there”.

New Zealand to ban tobacco for people born after 2004 in move to stamp out smoking

New Zealand considers phasing out legal sale of tobacco
New Zealand considers phasing out legal sale of tobacco (MSN.com)
And because we are completely insane we will also look at legalising the smoking of marijuana. These laws are so paternalistic and condescending to Maori and Pacifica. The attitude is that they are either too weak willed or too stupid to stop smoking so the king government must help them to do so. Disgusting attitude. It's time the do-gooder lefties who scream "my body, my choice" start applying that motto to everything not just the issues that concern them.

If any of this stuff the NZ gov are doing happens in the UK, well there'll be a massive trade growth going on in the black market. When it comes down to smoking, there's still a lot of us in the UK. Long before I found Sott and C's material, I already found the anti-smoking culture condescending and also downright sinister. Literally all my friends in the late 90's smoked, and I had very public spats with anti-smokers on occasions back then. Now I keep a much lower profile in public situations, but for sure no one and nothing will be stopping me from enjoying a smoke whenever I feel like it. if that means I have to go the black/grey market route, then so be it.

I really feel for you guys over in NZ, it really feels like you are being treated like guinea pigs in some warped experiment over there, much like we in Wales are with the early roll out of the vaccine over here. My Dad and I had a chat recently, and he said he doesn't think things on earth are ever fully going to return to normal again. The way things are going, I find it hard to disagree. My long term idea is that someday in the future, things will have gotten so bad that people will feel they've got nothing left to lose. The PTB have thought of this too though, hence the rising talk of UBI to stymie dissent among the proles. If nothing else, it's gonna be very interesting seeing how this all plays out. I'm seeing a clenched fist in my mind's eye, with grains of sand rapidly escaping.

They're going to push things too far eventually. Frankly they already have in my view. I think it's high time smokers came together and created a smokers' union, campaigning for our rights. We could also make pro-smoking articles and reports freely available to the interested parties. Never ever tolerate this loss of a basic human right.

Back when I was in first or second class in school(1976 or 1977, at the age of 7 or 8), once there was an "education" film shown about smoking.
It showed many awful clips/things, what happens, when one is a smoker. At the end there was a scene, where that smoker was in a coffin going to grave, and relatives grieved.

When thinking of it now, it was just to implant fear in the minds of the children. Afterwards I was rather afraid, that my mother, being a smoker, would soon be in coffin also, and that my sister and me would end up being orphans.

These days, my mother is still alive and relatively well, being bit over 80. Nowadays she still smokes, although rarely.
My sister smoked at teenage, and bit after that, but gave it up.

During the time(30+ years), that I have smoked, it has never been the cause of any sickness for me(as far as I can tell).

Between 2016-2018 I tried electronic cigarettes(vaping) to fill the nicotine deficiency, as I didn't have balcony, and otherwise had to go outside for a smoke. It sort of worked, until new restrictive regulations hit(before that one could order/buy nicotine one liter or more in big bottles. Afterwards only 10ml bottles were allowed, but no more online, and with prohibitive prices due to taxation).

Finally, today I have an apartment with balcony, and can smoke freely(wasn't free lunch either).

But yeah, I'll second what SlipNet said about NZ. It just seems to be growing global phenomena, no matter what.
Smoking psychopaths, that run the show, do they even exist.

These days, my mother is still alive and relatively well, being bit over 80. Nowadays she still smokes, although rarely.
My sister smoked at teenage, and bit after that, but gave it up.

My dad is 74 and still smokes 20 a day. He uses rolling tobacco. He also enjoys a dram of vodka every day, he loves it!:lol:

Finally, today I have an apartment with balcony, and can smoke freely(wasn't free lunch either).

Good for you. I live in a house that is privately owned by my parents. I have total freedom, and so can smoke indoors. I hardly ever bother smoking when I'm outdoors nowadays. It's just not worth the hassle. Last year when I was hospitalised, I went 36 hrs without a cig, and it was amazing how I felt,like a kind of subtle, muffled nausea. I walked home from the hospital 3 miles and the first thing I did when I got home was roll up a cig, and it was the best one I'd ever smoked.:cool2:

But yeah, I'll second what SlipNet said about NZ. It just seems to be growing global phenomena, no matter what.
Smoking psychopaths, that run the show, do they even exist.

I wouldn't worry too much about legislations and the sinister anti-smoking plan. Where there is a will, there is always a way. I know a few people who work on the docks in west Wales, and I know for a fact loads of pouches of cheap virginia tobacco come in from Poland and other countries. Not the best tobacco, but any port in a storm. The market always finds a way, it's an economic truth I think.

I find there are very few times when I am unable to smoke. That might change if I get a teaching job soon but even then I used to go out and smoke in the areas I was allowed to.
One thing I have bought recently is called Nordic Spirit.
"Tobacco Free Nordic Spirit Nicotine Pouches - Bergamot Wildberry 6mg
Experience the feeling of Nordic Air. Experience the flavours of wild berries and bergamot, perfectly blended for a sweet taste and citrus edge. Nordic Spirit Bergamot Wildberry - oral nicotine pouches are discreet and contain a special blend of ingredients designed to deliver maximum flavour and steady nicotine, any-time, anywhere, fast."
I have the basic Mint flavour one which is nice and hits the mark.
The other alternatve I have tried is called
Oliver Twist | Original Chewing Tobacco | 7g Tin

What are tobacco bits?
Tobacco bits are small, discreet mini-rolls of tobacco in a variety of flavors. Oliver Twist tobacco bits are made of whole tobacco leaves with a natural nicotine content. Some of this nicotine is released when the tobacco bit is chewed or held in the mouth.

Who uses tobacco bits?
Many people use tobacco bits in locations where smoking is not possible or permissible.

How to use tobacco bits...
Remove a tobacco bit from the vacuum-packed bag.
2. Place the tobacco bit between jaw and cheek. The natural nicotine content will slowly be released.
3. Leave the tobacco bit in your mouth for 30 to 60 minutes. For additional nicotine, gently squeeze it between your teeth.
4. Discard the bit after use. Do not swallow it.

Enjoy your tobacco anywhere.

So I use these when I have run out of tobacco I can smoke, I think they are great alternatives for a nicotene fix when no tobacco or smoking is available. :)

A person at work said I should stop using tobacco and I responded that tobacco isn't the evil thing it is propagandized to be (I use snus, haven't smoked for a while). So he asked me to show him studies that tobacco is safe and not dangerous. So is there any neat SOTT article, documents or studies about the benefit of smoking/snusing and that it doesn't cause cancer? Why is it that everybody says it causes cancer? Does it?

If anyone could point me to an article that would be great.

:whlchair:

Haven't read all this thread - it's to long

Smoking lowers risk of knee-replacement surgery

Smoking lowers risk of Parkinson's disease

Smoking lowers risk of obesity

Smoking lowers risk of death after some heart attacks

Smoking helps the heart drug clopidogrel work better

October 28, 1994

Q: (L) Is smoking detrimental to any of our bodies?

A: Not if mild. Not if mind is in right mode.

Q: (L) Does smoking enhance psychic abilities?

A: Yes.

Q: (L) Is it true that the government program to stamp out smoking is inspired by the Lizzies?

A: Yes because they know it may heighten psychic abilities.

Q: (L) What is causing the lung cancer they are attributing to smoking?

A: Mental conditioning and subliminal programming to expect it.

Q: (L) So, it only happens if you are convinced that it can and must happen?

A: Correct

Thanks @Kay Kim

Following your links I found these:

So is there any neat SOTT article, documents or studies about the benefit of smoking/snusing and that it doesn't cause cancer? Why is it that everybody says it causes cancer? Does it?

Here's a very good article to read written by Laura in 2007. Well worth a look. I smoke 20 a day, and I feel no health problems other than strange mood shifts. A smoke actually helps to keep me balanced, it's great for stress relief. Maybe don't smoke to Rod Serling levels though, he used to smoke 60-80 cigs a day!!! Jeez, I was amazed when I read that.

So, yeah, moderation is good in all aspects of life, and I don't think tobacco should be over-indulged. But I don't think it's half as dangerous as other substances on the market. Thanks for raising the question, it got me to read this article once again.

This article was posted on Sott today, and it's a good little read so I thought I'd put it on here for posterity. I like David Hockney, and his writing here gets to the point straight away. Bossy people seem to be the bane of his life, but we'd call them authoritarian followers. When a drinker tries to lecture me on the dangers of smoking I laugh. It's a short article, well worth a read.

A person at work said I should stop using tobacco and I responded that tobacco isn't the evil thing it is propagandized to be (I use snus, haven't smoked for a while). So he asked me to show him studies that tobacco is safe and not dangerous. So is there any neat SOTT article, documents or studies about the benefit of smoking/snusing and that it doesn't cause cancer? Why is it that everybody says it causes cancer? Does it?

:whlchair:

Haven't read all this thread - it's to long

In Defense of Smokers -Lauren A. Colby

One day I got a thought about this smoking thing, and tried to remember how it relates to my relatives, that I had known at some point, like uncles and aunts, from my mother's side. Those of father's side I have very few memories.

But anyway, there appears to be something, as smoking ones don't or didn't have brain diseases like alzheimer or dementia.
Deceased ones(smoking ones), grandfather and two uncles, two aunts husbands all had other health concerns.

But two deceased (non-smoking)aunts both had, in their last years, severe brain-related issues like the ones mentioned above.

I had to call my mother to verify, as she knows the longer history of her brothers, sisters and parents.

For those, who are still alive(in their 70's), there are three of them; one uncle and two aunts. That uncle smokes, as does one aunt. No signs of brain-related concerns so far.

But the other aunt(non-smoking) has started to develop a new kind of behaviour. She gets fierce bursts, if she finds out, that her husband has been smoking(and perhaps everything, that justifies her rage). My mother, as she has visited them every now and then, has noted that that isn't, what she used to be.

I'm tempted to draw conclusions based on all that, of how "bad" smoking really is, as advertised.

This thread is huge, so I apologise, if this kind of discussion has already been posted.
-----------------------------
Another thing, that I've been pondering lately is, that since 1980 I had a nasty hay fever in the summertime.
In '89, when I moved away from home, I started smoking. It must have been the last years of 90's, when it suddently went away.

Perhaps it has to do with smoking, or me, as a bachelor not eating "healthily" fruits and vegetables, as was kind of a habit, when I lived with my mother.

Just my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom