SOS Puzzle

I slept on it.
SOS:
Is it a Secant Of-a Sphere?
http://quantumfuture.net/arkadiusz-jadczyk/papers/quantum_fractals_on_n-spheres.pdf

Does it have anythying to do with fractals ?
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fractal

Fractals are often associated with recursive operations on shapes or sets of numbers, in which the result of the operation is used as the input to the same operation, repeating the process indefinitely. The operations themselves are usually very simple, but the resulting shapes or sets are often dramatic and complex, with interesting properties. For example, a fractal set called a Cantor dust can be constructed beginning with a line segment by removing its middle third and repeating the process on the remaining line segments. If this process is repeated indefinitely, only a "dust" of points remains. This set of points has zero length, even though there is an infinite number of points in the set. The Sierpinski triangle (or Sierpinski gasket) is another example of such a recursive construction procedure involving triangles (see the illustration). Both of these sets have subparts that are exactly the same shape as the entire set, a property known as self-similarity. Under certain definitions of dimension, fractals are considered to have non-integer dimension: for example, the dimension of the Sierpinski triangle is generally taken to be around 1.585, higher than a one-dimensional line, but lower than a two-dimensional surface. Perhaps the most famous fractal is the Mandelbrot set, which is the set of complex numbers C for which a certain very simple function, Z2 + C, iterated on its own output (starting with zero), eventually converges on one or more constant values. Fractals arise in connection with nonlinear and chaotic systems, and are widely used in computer modeling of regular and irregular patterns and structures in nature, such as the growth of plants and the statistical patterns of seasonal weather.

ark said:
a) What is it?
b) What kind of a phenomenon we are dealing with?
c) What does "SOS" in the Subject title stand for?
d) What are the implications of this kind of phenomena for the society?
a) My first impression was of bunched-up curtains with some kind of photoshop "filter" applied to the image. That doesn't really have an "SOS" context though. Second impression, some kind of snow formation over trees, or glaciers melting.

b) Probably some kind of snow/water related phenomenon, possibly to do with "global warming".

c) Alert! Mayday!

d) Widespread change, and not in a good way unless we start paying attention quickly?

R.

My guess is
a) What is it?
Looks like a cross section of glacier which is weakening for collpase, initiated by some melting at the top at some spots and lot more happening to weaken deeper.

I dont know. may be some natural process of melting .
MayDay !

END comes sooner when all are in deep sleep, as there is no physical evidence of inner weakening form top.

Here is what I think. This article from SOTT came to mind right off http://www.signs-of-the-times.org/articles/show/128175-Miniature+Lab+Ice+Spikes+May+Hold+Clues+To+Warming+Impacts+On+Glaciers

a) What is it?
A glacier or edge of an ice sheet that is melting due to Sublimation.

But the picture from Ark doesn't fit any I could find.

Sublimation - "An endothermic physical process whereby ice passes directly into the vapor state." http://ebeltz.net/glacier/glacglos.html#S

Sublimation Of Snow

If glaciers and ice sheets are covered in a layer of soot that comes from volcanic eruption or comet impact then the ice/snow will have increased rates of sublimation. This will throw a large volume of vapor into the atmosphere and create a feed back loop where more vapor causes more snow which leads to glacier rebound.

Betterton and her colleagues took the research a step further, sprinkling the sprouting lab penitentes with a fine layer of carbon soot to simulate pollutants known to be accumulating on some glaciers around the globe. Such carbon-based pollutants have been found to increase melting rates on glaciers by causing the ice to absorb more sunlight and heat up, she said.

The team found that small amounts of soot sprinkled on the snow in the lab appeared to accelerate penitente formation. "One worry that scientists have is that without penitentes, some of these Andean glaciers will melt more quickly," she said. "It may well be that adding a small layer of dirt to the surface of these glaciers could help to preserve them."

Looks just like those pics they used to publish in the magazines, whereas if you stare at it long enough, something 3D jumps out at you...but I've been staring at this 'till I'm blue in the face :(

Maybe I should print it out and try again...

Ryan said:
Nice work, Mike. Methinks you've just solved it.
Try inverting the colours in ms paint, like Craig said he did. It sure looks like asparagus to me.
(edit) On second thoughts, it's not asparagus.

a) What is it?

Cross section of snow/ice

Coming of the big freeze/Ice age.

Universally accepted meaning: Save our Soul (Mayday); in this case: Save Our Snow.

eh..Ice age means...stockpile on woolen clothes/fire wood, sell my refrigerator.

Tampered with the picture eh..Ark?

As C's third cousin would say: "Tampering with Picture is STS"

:)

Hint: :)

Note: At least one of the proposed answers came quite close to the solution.

Self-Organizing Systems?!?

Well this is the part where your fellow scientists in here go: "Eureka!", and the rest of us go: "What the *#@" ;)

The implications of this kind of phenomena on society is...well, I would imagine we're currently on the "edge of chaos", so time will tell if we will push the system (us) into chaotic behaviour or lock the system into a fixed behaviour. Don't know..

Still don't know what the picture is. Is it maybe something that locked into a fixed bahaviour?

Still going with the inverted image revealing it to be very "plant like" and aurora's idea: does it have something to do with self-similar, fractal-like and phyllotaxic patterns in nature... botany in specific?

There seems to be research that shows two categories of organization: In the first, distichous and spiral modes the leaves appear one at a time along the stem. "The striking peculiarity of this family is that it is directly related to the Fibonacci series and the golden mean. In the second, constituted of whorled modes, a constant number of leaves appear simultaneously at the same height on the stem and form successive whorls."

So I'm thinking at the moment: is genetic modification affecting these patterns of organization, and how? Though, the whole GM issue springs from the "Save Our Seeds" group... but if SOS stands for "Self-Organizing Systems" then I should probably swipe that.

"Sum of Sinusoids"?

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=383117
The Gaussian white noise and the sum-of-sinusoids methods of systems analysis provide equivalent descriptions of nearly linear and strongly nonlinear transductions in the cat retina. Smoothness in the frequency domain is a common characteristic of biological transductions. This permits a substantial improvement in the signal-to-noise ratio by using the sum-of-sinusoids method, as is demonstrated for the transductions of the cat retina.

None of the above. It is the "Sound Of Silence" which you can link to the low frequency sound puzzle.

Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone
'Neath the halo of a street lamp
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light