SOTT-inspired desktop image package

JonnyRadar

The Living Force
since creativity seems to be a big part of the interactions on these forums, i thought it would be nice to put together something that would allow us to share our work with each other in a different way. so, the idea developed into a "desktop package" comprised of the digital art of various forum members, something people could download as a zip file and have different resolution desktop images (in the vein of SOTT and the material covered) readily available.

so, if it sounds doable, what i propose is this - those forum members who create digital art and would like to participate could put together 3 or 4 of their own pieces, and duplicate each image for various screen resolutions. common resolutions are: 1024x768, 1280x768, 1280x1024, 1680x1050, 1600x1200, and 1920x1200.

but six copies of each image seems a bit much, and would bog down the size of the zip file. perhaps for each image, three copies of the resolution of the creator's choosing.

i've made up a photoshop (.psd) template (72 dpi) with guides marking the six resolutions above. you can download it here (it's 1.4 MB)

desktop_templates.jpg

one other idea that could work is on each image, add a 20 or 30 pixel high black box at the top or bottom of the image, and in white text on the left put the name of the piece, and on the right "www.sott.net" - that would create a theme throughout all the pieces and serve as a reminder of SOTT...

so, then if you'd like to participate, put your images together with filenames like "Title_of_Piece_1024x768.jpg", etc... and shoot me a private message and i'll send you the email address to send them to (would rather not post the email on the forum)... then i'll compile them into one zip file and post it for download.

ideas? suggestions?

Hello everyone, JonnyRadar

First of all I think this is quite an interesting idea. ;)

My only consideration regarding what you propose is using the www.sott.net mark on the pictures. Because maybe this would appear as a kind of SOTT "approval" and endorsement of the content of the pictures. OK, we are inspired by SOTT and we are at sync more or less, but the devil is always in the details! And this considering the "controversial" nature of some of the artworks we create, and i write these words having in mind pictures like "Earth and the Wave" i created. Could for example the destruction, comets, UFOs etc. that are depicted in that picture be taken literally rather than with artistic freedom by someone with an intent to give a false interpretation if they are "signed" by SOTT? For now such pictures enjoy a "protection" given by the context of being posted in the Creative Arts part of this forum and the disclaimer that exists in the bottom of the page,
Cassiopaea.org, Quantum Future School, and QFG Inc. do not necessarily endorse or adhere to views or opinions expressed in the articles or comments posted on this forum. This is purely an information and research discussion forum and the opinions of each participant are their own.

Since our pictures are our "opinions" in a way, maybe it would not be very externally considerate to "tag" them with SOTT's web address when SOTT has so many other open fronts and the world is full of "Vincents". Otherwise SOTT should have to approve these pictures, which again considering the time,effort etc. that this may involve it might be like missing the point OSIT.

Maybe we could form something like a temporary "group" with a some name, mainly for reference and to give link to somewhere, and use that to simply offer our designs to mankind! :D

Or maybe not even that is needed, and each can use his own chosen name in his picture and together we can agree to use some common font and colors for conformity to a common style.

Hmm... :halo:

Having expressed this little reservation of mine and waiting for other opinions, i say that i welcome this initiative by JonnyRader and i will try to support it!

Thank you. :)

spyraal said:
My only consideration regarding what you propose is using the www.sott.net mark on the pictures. Because maybe this would appear as a kind of SOTT "approval" and endorsement of the content of the pictures. OK, we are inspired by SOTT and we are at sync more or less, but the devil is always in the details! And this considering the "controversial" nature of some of the artworks we create, and i write these words having in mind pictures like "Earth and the Wave" i created. Could for example the destruction, comets, UFOs etc. that are depicted in that picture be taken literally rather than with artistic freedom by someone with an intent to give a false interpretation if they are "signed" by SOTT?

very good point spyraal, thanks for bringing that up. i think you're right that leaving the URL out of the images would probably be best...

spyraal said:
Maybe we could form something like a temporary "group" with a some name, mainly for reference and to give link to somewhere, and use that to simply offer our designs to mankind! :D Or maybe not even that is needed, and each can use his own chosen name in his picture and together we can agree to use some common font and colors for conformity to a common style.

what about just the name of the piece and the creator in white or black depending on the background, using a common typeface like century gothic or something similar?

Maybe we could form something like a temporary "group" with a some name, mainly for reference and to give link to somewhere, and use that to simply offer our designs to mankind!

this sounds splendid.. :D im in on it if you guys can use my help !! :D

sounds like a great idea. you could always use one of the free blog-hosting engines (such as wordpress.com) to hold some pages with these things on - for people to browse and download backgrounds etc, and also to get noticed by the search engines. This would allow you to 'create a brand' if wanted; to tag pics with various search-terms; and to have multiple contributors submitting to your 'subversive artwork blog'.

Nomad said:
You could always use one of the free blog-hosting engines (such as wordpress.com) to hold some pages with these things on - for people to browse and download backgrounds etc, and also to get noticed by the search engines. This would allow you to 'create a brand' if wanted; to tag pics with various search-terms; and to have multiple contributors submitting to your 'subversive artwork blog'.

Creating a 'subversive artwork blog'? Sounds to me like the proper thing to do! Thanks Nomad for the suggestion. ;)

All we need now is a "catchy" name, decide which hosting engine to use and some other details, and we are pretty much good to go for starters!

What do you think? I am already getting "warm" on this the more i think of it. Let's walk the walk!

I will do my best to create some cool pictures for this! Thank you JonnyRadar for the idea once more.

:)

spyraal said:
Creating a 'subversive artwork blog'? Sounds to me like the proper thing to do! Thanks Nomad for the suggestion. ;)

All we need now is a "catchy" name, decide which hosting engine to use and some other details, and we are pretty much good to go for starters!

ok, i've got the space set up for this, as well as a nice little blogging package that should work fine. now we just need to figure out a name, and whether or not we're going to use a separate URL, in which case we should figure out who's going to set that up (or i can...)

here's some (tentative) ideas for names:

Through the Mirror, Off the Wall
Images of Truth
The Mad Tea Party
Third Line Art Collective (_http://www.cassiopedia.org/glossary/Lines_of_Work)

those are the "best" ones i have so far. any more ideas for names?

Hello everyone,

Thank you JR for offering to set up this blog or webpage! I welcome this as i do not have great experience in that "field", but you can rely on my help for anything else if i can, now or later.
As for using a separate URL, doesn't this require paying some subscription or server space? I wonder how much does this cost where you live, and is that a reason to do a blog instead??
And the cost itself is not my worry of course, as it is the practical problem of how to share that cost since we live in different countries...
I am sure though that some other member will know these things better than me.

As for the name, I was thinking (along with the nice ideas that JR and RS proposed!) the name DOT which represents:
a) simplicity, modesty and "non-expectation" as it is the minimum graphic element (just a single point or pixel)
b) and also could stand for the Designers Of Times ;)

Well, i will continue to think over this, but i am happy that this is going to happen! Take care!
:)

spyraal said:

Artivist ?

d'oh! artivist is already in use - _http://www.artivist.org/ and _http://www.artivists.org/

lol, and zeitgeist addendum was a 2008 artivist award winner...

Back
Top Bottom