Star Trek Discovery

Thanks everyone! This has turned into an interesting discussion. So I actually like the Orville a little better now that they've toned down the slap stick humor. It still has enough humor without feeling likes it's a comedy in a sci-fi setting.

The C's said once that we could partake of various entertainment as long as we kept orientation in mind. Now there's some stuff that's just too unredeemable for me to watch like Shameless. But most stuff is nuanced. Writers will most definitely have agendas or influences. That's almost a given as artistic types tend to lean left. But they can also have insight. One can enjoy the writing in a show. One can enjoy the acting or the cinematography. There can be one or more really great scenes in a show. One show that comes to mind was called Seven Seconds on Netflix that had some really good scenes throughout. Written by a female Canadian born writer who also wrote The Killing,
which was also very good. Although very moody, dark, but realistic.

I became a fan of Idris Elba through the show Luther on Netflix. Another one that was quite dark, but the writing and acting is fantastic. Everyone I've recommended it to has really liked it as well.

So yeah, I think it really depends on the viewer. How much awareness does the viewer have? Is the viewer relating to elements of the show that are definitely STS in nature and taking it in as true?

The one thing that really is unfortunate is this seeming 'need' or compulsion, or wanting to be current with the times, or whatever it is to put dramatic and explicit gay scenes in practically everything. I mean fine if done occasionally. But I don't really want to see two dudes macking on each other in every show I watch. Maybe that just me though... 🙄

At the same time, I think there is also a problem going with mostly "light and fluffy and hopeful" things to the exclusion of the darker stuff.

In the Hopeful Only case, one could probably argue that this may also be a symptom of a desire to ignore or shut out certain parts of one's own personal reality.

IOW, All Dark = probably you're screwed up. All light = probably you're screwed up.

But then, we already know we're all screwed up, so it also depends to a large extent on a person's individual tastes and/or need for one type of dissociation or "chill time" as compared to another person.

Can't agree more. From time to time I just feel the urge to watch something dark like David Lynch, and it seems to play a re-balancing role for my psyche, like a reminder of sorts that our world can be a very cruel place and "Everything's not awesome". Same for the opposite. We need to remember and respect all faces of God, but it's doesn't mean that we embrace them this way.

I'm almost finished with season two of The Expanse. I agree with Woodsman, it's well done, realistic, artfully constructed and coherent. Some praise it as possibly the best Sci Fi series ever. It's worth watching IMO.

We just finished watching the end of season 3 today, and I'd say it definitely is up there as one of the best Sci-Fi series I have ever seen. I'd even say one of the best shows ever written. It was dark at the beginning, especially the first season, but there is light at the end of the tunnel and every season just got better and better building on the previous one. The characters were so well-written and acted, there was a real human element to them and the core themes of the show, you see characters progress and change and in ways you don't expect, and it really renewed my faith in today's television shows that there still is creativity and imagination being expressed in the world. Yes, there is an obvious diversity 'quota' being met in the casting of the show, but who cares! They never once paraded it or made it central to who the characters were, plus they picked good actors to fill those roles and that's what matters.

I stumbled upon the following Robert Meyer Burnett's commentary on Star Trek Picard, and recent "new Trek" in general.

Don't know if you watched the new Star Trek Picard series. I watched only one episode so far, and for now not eager to continue. Probably will continue watch it at some point, though. But I did hear enough commentary from people like Neurdrotic and others, and was very disappointed, because I was very much looking forward to the new adventures of Jean-Luc Picard. Unfortunately, putting aside the heavy progressive spin, the writing is simply boring.

Bu what Robert Meyer Burnett said was trully heart-breaking. It was sad to hear not only because I love Star Trek (as it was before), but because whatever happened to the show is just another example of whatever is happening in our world right now. It's true that we discussed some of the issues that he brings up (like the sanctity of human life) on the forum, and things are not exactly black and white. But as he also mentioned in the video, the issue is not about the topic itself, but with what Star Trek has always been and the ideal that it represents.

The video is 1.5 long, but if you don't have that much time, I think that 10-20 min is enough to get what he has to say.

I'm almost finished with season two of The Expanse. I agree with Woodsman, it's well done, realistic, artfully constructed and coherent. Some praise it as possibly the best Sci Fi series ever. It's worth watching IMO.

Recently I started watching the show and watched 5 episodes so far. And have to say that I enjoy the show immensely. This is how hardcore sci-fi should look like. The writing and storytelling is excellent. 👍 It is also not a dumb show and doesn't make is easy for the viewers with belters accents, lingo and all! Thank god for subtitles! 😅

Bu what Robert Meyer Burnett said was trully heart-breaking. It was sad to hear not only because I love Star Trek (as it was before), but because whatever happened to the show is just another example of whatever is happening in our world right now. It's true that we discussed some of the issues that he brings up (like the sanctity of human life) on the forum, and things are not exactly black and white. But as he also mentioned in the video, the issue is not about the topic itself, but with what Star Trek has always been and the ideal that it represents.

The video is 1.5 long, but if you don't have that much time, I think that 10-20 min is enough to get what he has to say.

I'm actually enjoying Star Trek Picard. It's definitely my 'go to' show after I get home from work on Friday nights. There's a cook I work with who's definitely a sci-fi guy who really likes it too. I finally convinced him to watch The Expanse and I think he's on, or done with season three. I think that one is a must for sci fi fans. I will say this last episode of Picard was a little weak. We'll see how it goes from here. I watched ten minutes of the video above and I'm sure the guy has a point. However, I believe they're attempting to contrast the value of android 'life' with that of human, or Romulan who are rabidly attempting to eradicate all androids due to a prior incident with androids where the androids turned on them without warning or apparent cause.

I would say, keep watching. It's definitely better than Discovery. IMO

I stumbled upon the following Robert Meyer Burnett's commentary on Star Trek Picard, and recent "new Trek" in general.

Kind of out of the loop on where Start Trek went after the original and some, here and there, of the original Picard continuations.

I listened to what Burnett was saying, and he certainly seems like he has the background of the themes, character, writers et cetera., and he (could be wrong) makes a point with the abject focus on nihilism in more recent times in these series. For instance, he brings up Picard orchestrating a head-chopping move to someone they did not like. This he is indicating that the focus on murder is being normalized (and a lot of it), and he reminds viewers that this is 180 degrees of the original writers who would even cast Kirk to not kill when he could have - when today they would. This past view seems more in line with Caesar's ability to show mercy and forgiveness, and this is, he mentions, a failure of the writers that have decoupled humanness while creating enemies/villains when what they are were antagonists originally. Originaly the goal was to work out some understanding, if it could be worked out, with the antagonists. So, he reminds that Star Trek "was never about justifying murder" and that is what he sees now.

As was said, don't know, year's behind on this continued series, yet is he correct?

Don't know if you watched the new Star Trek Picard series. I watched only one episode so far, and for now not eager to continue. Probably will continue watch it at some point, though. But I did hear enough commentary from people like Neurdrotic and others, and was very disappointed, because I was very much looking forward to the new adventures of Jean-Luc Picard. Unfortunately, putting aside the heavy progressive spin, the writing is simply boring.

Started to watch it and I can only agree with the negative sentiments. Badly scripted and boring. Nothing compared to the good old TNG series.

For instance, he brings up Picard orchestrating a head-chopping move to someone they did not like.

That's definitely not what happens in the show. Picard has just recruited this young Samari like guy as part of his crew when he runs into someone from his past who definitely has a grudge against him. The guy is threatening Picard to the point that his life appears to be quite definitely in danger and so Samari dude steps in and beheads the guy with one swing of his sword. As soon as they depart the scene, Picard reprimands the young guy and tells him never to do that again and to follow his orders only.

And y'all do know that when there's a series, the first and sometimes second or third episode is just setting things up for context? I'm someone who watches a lot of shows and movies and boring is definitely not how I would describe it. It may not be the most action packed Star Trek but it's all about Picard and his various relationships past and present, which I find a welcome nuanced difference personally.

I'm someone who watches a lot of shows and movies and boring is definitely not how I would describe it. It may not be the most action packed Star Trek but it's all about Picard and his various relationships past and present, which I find a welcome nuanced difference personally.

Well, here's further clarification on what Burnett was talking about, and what others also remarked about the "new Trek". Please, don't misunderstand. We all have different tastes, so nothing wrong with you enjoying the show! I would also very much want to enjoy Picard. :-)

The point appears to be similar to what Laura remarked here about the "Perry Mason" series (in the last paragraph). Not the exact comparison, of course, just the general feel.

It's true that we can't have the same Trek as it was in the 90's, and who said that we should? Change is good. But there appear to be certain changes that perhaps make these shows as watchable sci-fi series, but not really Star Trek.

ADDED: Here's another review that can't be ignored, imo.

Last edited:
I've seen the first three episodes and even though the first episode was awesome and drew me in, really setting things up for what seemed like what was going to be a really good series, the two subsequent episodes have been disappointing, imo. And I can only hope that the writers don't continue down this path with the writing and character development.

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD ... And a little bit of sarcasm... For example, the way they introduced the character of Raffi, or however you spell her name. She was a lieutenant commander at best in Starfleet and Picard was an Admiral in the flashback scene where they were trying to get Starfleet to help with the evacuation of Romulus and she starts swearing and calling him JL?! You mean Admiral, right? Your commanding officer and someone to be treated with respect. After all, you are supposed to be a Starfleet officer and act in such a manner becoming of that designation otherwise you wouldn't have made it into Starfleet. Well, apparently Starfleet's expectations for their officers have lowered drastically since the days of the Enterprise D. Maybe the war with the Dominion killed off all of the the best men, women and aliens in the galaxy and all that was left were Millennial snowflakes who throw hissy fit's when things don't go their way.

I mean, they basically insinuate that she comes up with Picard's two best in's for securing the evacuation and then goes on to throw a tirade when things don't go their way blaming Picard for everything. And if you are going to do that, at least make it believable. But they didn't pull it off and the acting in the first 15 minutes of that episode setting up the relationship between the two of them seemed forced and uninteresting.

And there's been this sort of covert misandry embedded in these last two episodes where Picard himself seems to be the target of it, for example the Admiral he meets with to try and secure a ship, then his Romulan assistant who I think is a fairly interesting character but periodically engenders this attitude, much like what happened in Season 8 of Doctor Who when Peter Capaldi took over and his relationship the Clara saw her insulting and denigrating him, which caused me to stop watching after that. Of course, Picard is much older and retired, and that will be displayed in that he doesn't have the same abilities and wherewithal that he once had, but I find these dynamics distasteful and don't endear me to the characters at all.

And to each their own, TV shows and movies are subjective and I have some biases coming up, but that's my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom