Star Wars: The Mandalorian

I recently saw the first season and enjoyed it. I thought it a little campy and the dialogue a bit cliche, and there were inconsistencies with the way certain plots developed in particular episodes. But you can’t please everyone and it definitely had its moments so am looking forward to the second season.

I have spoken. :lol:

I tought that D+ will put the whole season at once, but when I saw only first episode, I decided to wait at least for 1-2 more so I can have at least 2h of SW at once; this 55min dosage is not good enough for me. 😂

I‘m also very interested in how it will go on and especially when I heard rumors of some CW series characters coming back.
🤩

Looking forward to the second season! In the meantime I’ve been enjoying this ambient soundtrack on YT -

Nice background music while working throughout the day - this is the way... ;-)
Thanks for the Mando sound track- one of the things I totally love about the series is the music! Episode one of season two has gotten off to a good start! No spoilers from me but if you liked season one you will not be disappointed!

I was refusing to watch The Mandalorian because.. Disney, but I was finally persuaded and started it not too long ago and I have to say that I have enjoyed the series so far.

The first season was simple yet very well told, there were themes that were clearly visible, plot devices that were very well paid off. The story itself is engaging and entertaining, humorous but not over the top funny where it takes the seriousness out of the situation, in fact it sometimes adds to it. Mando's character arc is very well developed I think and you can feel the growth of the character as the series moves forward. So I would recommend watching it if you have the time, there were a few other things that I wanted to discuss but it requires me to jump into spoiler territory, so let me finish this by saying that I have liked it so far and it was probably the best way for them to try to salvage EP. 9 of the latest trilogy :)

I was discussing with a few friends the other day some of the themes in The Mandalorian, the reluctant inexperienced father who discovers value and courage by taking it upon himself to keep Baby Yoda safe, he knows the baby is valuable to the empire, but doesn't know who he is to the audience, and I think this was a brilliant way to keep people engaged, they (or rather we) feel part of the story and everyone watching can't wait for a reveal. It's like watching a very complex engagement scheme where we're all in it and the bride doesn't know it yet, we're all waiting for that pay off.

The themes of fatherly figures is navigated nicely through the whole first season, along with some very interesting Work related concepts and even psychological ones that I will try to do justice here, bear with me as it may simply be me looking wayyyyy to deeply into it.

Mando obviously had family issues after the empire killed them, an android no less. He then gets rescued by a Mandalorian who raises him to know that the only way to survive and be grateful, never suffer again, is to be rigid and cold, stick to a set of rules from without and this will bring inner peace.

And it works until he has the calling to adventure and his inner systems are all put to the test and fail, he has that inner conflict of doing exactly what he's paid to do, kill baby yoda and maintain stability in his life. But his conscience steps in and he goes against the rules, he's thus a lot less safe and now has to keep another being safe as well, but he discovers something true about himself.

I think this is particularly well depicted in the first encounter with the old man, after Mando gets his ship torn to pieces by the scavengers, the old man teaches him how to negotiate, something a father would have, despite the world being a dangerous place requiring you to be dangerous yourself, not everything can be punched into shape. Mando learns that he's more than what others and himself thought he was.

The other important scene that I loved was the one where the old man, re programs the android (IG-11) to nurse and protect life. Mando can't bring himself to trust androids due to his experiences as a child, and this has always worked, but here he has to trust the old man who is telling him to trust the android to protect the child. So it's an interesting imagery there, Mando has to trust his father about letting this monster protect his child.

But it was rather interesting to watch that little scene (I can't seem to find it anywhere) where the old man is explaining how he accomplished the reprogramming and all the dedication it took, and I couldn't help but think of the process of working towards changing aspects of our characters, it won't happen just by knowing what to do... one must do, one will fail and struggle, but if the aim is clear, and the master is adequate, it is possible to really transform one's being.

So, in the end I enjoyed season 1 of the show, I think they depicted Mando's call to adventure very well, his old psychological programs died painfully and tragically. He gained a responsibility which makes him a lot more vulnerable, easier to hurt, but which gives his life meaning. But he has also gained new allies which share his goals more solidly and firmly than they used to in the past. Which I think is another interesting concept, his relationship with Greef Karga for instance, went from mutually beneficial to mutually committed to each others well being.

I find myself rooting for Mando and Yoda and dreading their potential separation. I would personally say that this is a story very well told.

I‘m also very interested in how it will go on and especially when I heard rumors of some CW series characters coming back.
Yes, there was some buzz about this but having never watched Clone Wars, didn't understand what the big fuss was about or what the back story of these characters were. So have started watching CW and it's actually pretty good!

Yes, there was some buzz about this but having never watched Clone Wars, didn't understand what the big fuss was about or what the back story of these characters were. So have started watching CW and it's actually pretty good!
Bo-Katan is the sister of Obi-wan's girlfriend. Asohka (to appear next week) is Anakin's padawan. There, I spoiled the whole thing :)

Bo-Katan is the sister of Obi-wan's girlfriend. Asohka (to appear next week) is Anakin's padawan. There, I spoiled the whole thing :)
I am venturing into geek territory here- but I thought according to SW Canon Asohka was supposed to have been killed by Darth Vader? The Mandalorian takes place after the destruction of the second Death Star and before rise of the First Order so Darth Vader is long gone- but I think I read somewhere Asohka’s death was not confirmed. Maybe we will find out in the episode!

according to SW Canon Asohka was supposed to have been killed by Darth Vader?

She wasn‘t 😁
She „died“ and came back during SW Rebels series.

I haven’t watched Rebels very religiously, just important episodes around Ahsoka, Maul and Kanan.

I am venturing into geek territory here- but I thought according to SW Canon Asohka was supposed to have been killed by Darth Vader?
faked her death during order 66 in season7 of CW
and then was saved through the world between world in another series (which was boring except for Asohka story with Vader and the last duel between Obi-Wan and Maul).

faked her death during order 66 in season7 of CW
and then was saved through the world between world in another series (which was boring except for Asohka story with Vader and the last duel between Obi-Wan and Maul).
I have been watching the Clone Wars animated series which I find to be excellent and fills in a lot - I haven’t seen Rebels or read any of the comics and books which also fills in gaps so thanks for the update! I will definitely keep watching the series.

I am venturing into geek territory here- but I thought according to SW Canon Asohka was supposed to have been killed by Darth Vader? The Mandalorian takes place after the destruction of the second Death Star and before rise of the First Order so Darth Vader is long gone- but I think I read somewhere Asohka’s death was not confirmed. Maybe we will find out in the episode!
Thanks for the link Mari- the World between World seems to be like 4D tech-very interesting!

I was refusing to watch The Mandalorian because.. Disney, but I was finally persuaded and started it not too long ago and I have to say that I have enjoyed the series so far.
Meh… Still not interested. Read some synopsis and it seems mediocre just like most shows these days. IMHO Star Wars has been so bad lately that in comparison to it, this adaptation seems like a jewel. :rolleyes:

It reminds me of mediocre girls who hang out with their, shall we say, less physically fortunate friends just to kinda stand out. ;-D

And don’t get me started on the “baby” Yoda, which obviously was created for sheer toy selling. Yes, yes, I know Gorge did the same thing in the original movies but it still annoys me. :headbash:

I’m pretty much over anything Disney produces. No matter how good it may seem, they will always go back to their old ways. Trusting Disney is like being in an abusive relationship. :lol:

You guys want something with a little more depth and a unique story, you can check out His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. Unlike the bastardized Disney movie version a few years back, the TV series now into its second season, does not disappoint.

Just sayin. :halo:

Meh… Still not interested. Read some synopsis and it seems mediocre just like most shows these days. IMHO Star Wars has been so bad lately that in comparison to it, this adaptation seems like a jewel. :rolleyes:

It reminds me of mediocre girls who hang out with their, shall we say, less physically fortunate friends just to kinda stand out. ;-D

And don’t get me started on the “baby” Yoda, which obviously was created for sheer toy selling. Yes, yes, I know Gorge did the same thing in the original movies but it still annoys me. :headbash:

I’m pretty much over anything Disney produces. No matter how good it may seem, they will always go back to their old ways. Trusting Disney is like being in an abusive relationship. :lol:

You guys want something with a little more depth and a unique story, you can check out His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. Unlike the bastardized Disney movie version a few years back, the TV series now into its second season, does not disappoint.

Just sayin. :halo:
Yeah, the last three movies were painful for us SW fans - but the first tv series is not bad in my opinion, hopefully it won’t get too kitschy just to sell merch. Have to check out the HDM series-sounds interesting!

Back
Top Bottom