Stress buildup and the body

RedFox

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I've been taking yoga classes over the last 6 months, and wanted to share some observations.

When EE first came out, I was interested to note the discussion about shoulder and neck tension and how that relates to blocked emotions and stored stress. That stress can build up and be stored in the body is also rather important to consider.
So if your neck and shoulders are tense you have a good indication your stress levels are high. If this has been chronic over a lifetime, you will also tend to dissociate from the body and tension will be 'normal'. In short, you won't register the tension without body work (i.e. massage) and body awareness (i.e. yoga).

Awareness of how stressed you are is extremely important from a Work point of view. When you are stressed (even if you are unaware of it) your brain is biased towards running on automatic {Do you find yourself repeating old behaviors and dissociating?}. Your ability to learn and adapt is compromised.
Depending on personality you may also be hypersensitive to other peoples stresses/emotions, hypersensitive to sound/light/sensation, become withdrawn/doubtful and unable to handle new or stressful situations (thus avoiding them).
It can go the other way too, you may talk uncontrollably, become bull headed (false confidence) and walk all over other people (become less sensitive to others).
Thinking becomes obsessive/rigid and black and white. Breathing becomes shallow. Will power is depleted.

There is another equally important muscle group when it comes to this stress response, the hips and psoas muscles.
It's connected to the vagal system, and tenses when stressed. It constricts to curl you into a ball (protect yourself from danger).
Prolonged tension here can lead to lower back pain, poor posture, poor core strength, shallow breathing and leg pain/cramping.

*edit* Please ignore the 'esoteric' fluff - we are interested in the anatomy and physiological results that come from stretching this muscle.

The 'Muscle of the Soul' may be triggering your fear and anxiety
The psoas major muscle (pronounced "so-as") is often referred to as the deepest core, or as yoga therapist and film-maker Danielle Olson states, the "muscle of the soul." This core-stabilizing muscle located near the hip bone affects mobility, structural balance, joint function, flexibility, and much more. In addition to its function to help keep the body upright and moving, the psoas is believed to allow you to connect with the present moment especially when it is stretched out and tension is released from the body.

Research indicates that the psoas is vital to our psychological wellbeing in addition to structural health. Liz Koch, author of The Psoas Book, states that our psoas "literally embodies our deepest urge for survival, and more profoundly, our elemental desire to flourish." This means that there is a lot more to the psoas than one might initially think. It is entirely possible to harness healing pranic energy and improve mental health by keeping the psoas healthy. {It's probably better to consider 'prana' from a practical point of view, what made is your nervouse system in. Fight/flight/freeze or rest/digest/healing?}

Where is the Psoas?

The psoas is the principal muscle associated with physical stability. It stretches from the legs to the spine and is the only muscle connecting the legs to the spinal column. The muscle flares out from the T12 vertebrae, follows down the five lumbar vertebrae, before attaching to the top of the thigh bone.

The Reptilian Connection

In addition to connecting the legs and spine, the psoas is connected to the diaphragm. Breathing is modulated at the diaphragm, and it is also the location where many physical symptoms associated with fear and anxiety manifest. Koch believes that this is due to the direct link between the psoas and the most ancient part of our brain stem and spinal cord, called the reptilian brain.

According to Koch, "Long before the spoken word or the organizing capacity of the cortex developed, the reptilian brain, known for its survival instincts, maintained our essential core functioning." The way we live today, constantly rushing, competing and achieving, has the psoas in a constant "fight or flight" state.

psoas.png

Issues Associated with Chronic Psoas Stress

Trapped in a constant "flight or fight" state, psoas muscles are stressed and constricted, almost from the time of birth. As Koch notes,
"this situation is exacerbated by many things in our modern lifestyle, from car seats to constrictive clothing, from chairs to shoes that distort our posture, curtail our natural movements and further constrict our psoas."
This lifelong chronic stress put on the psoas can lead to many problems like back, hip, or knee pain, and even digestive issues and dysfunctional breathing. It could also be a major cause why people suffer from chronic physical pain.

The physical body is not the only part of you that suffers from a chronically-stressed psoas. The psoas is much more than a muscle used for structural stability. It influences every element of life, from how you feel, to how you look at the world, and even how you treat others. A variety of problems have been associated with a chronically-stressed psoas muscle: it can negatively affect your emotional state; it can impact your interpersonal relationships; and it can influence your general contentment with life. Awareness that a healthy psoas is important to emotional wellness, as well as physical health, is the first step towards ensuring that we give this muscle the attention it deserves.

Koch states, "Whether you suffer from sore back or anxiety, from knee strain or exhaustion, there's a good chance that a constricted psoas might be contributing to your woes."

Fear and the Psoas

Since the psoas is closely linked to our "fight or flight" mechanism, fear can be over-represented in those with a constricted psoas.

It is an emotion that manifests itself in the most unusual ways and can "lock" itself into the body resulting in both physical and emotional tension. By restoring balance to your psoas muscles, you are likely to release this pent up tension, which can have a profound effect on releasing unfounded fearfulness about life, and thus improve both your physical and mental wellbeing. You will feel a greater sense of inner peace, along with fewer muscle aches and strains.

The Connection to the Energetic Body

Lengthening and releasing your psoas grounds you to the Earth, which is filled with healing and revitalizing energy, thus allowing you to balance your pranic energy and enabling you to feel more present in the moment. Proper structural stability attributed to a healthy psoas allows prana to flow, unimpeded, throughout the body, allowing for proper distribution of vital energy. In the physical sense, when the body can properly support itself, movement is less-restricted and requires less effort, thus leaving you more energetic.

Ancient Wisdom for Modern Times

Our understanding of the psoas is by no means new knowledge. In fact, it is more akin to ancient wisdom that was either lost or discarded over time. Yoga shows us explicitly that ancient gurus understood the importance of releasing contracted psoas muscles. Ancient yoga asanas, or postures, that are now practiced all around the world, focus on lengthening and releasing psoas muscles and restoring comfort and balance to the entire body. With consistent practice, you can learn how to isolate this muscle, which can be immensely useful and healing in the long run.

Yoga is also a great way to measure the current health of the psoas. There are many postures, such as tree (Vrksasana), which cannot be properly achieved if the psoas is contracted. If you are practicing a sitting or standing yoga pose and feel strain in either your knees or lower back (or both), then there's a good chance that your psoas is constricted and needs more of your attention.

The psoas is an important, yet often unknown, muscle that plays a vital role in physical health and mental wellbeing. The cumulative effect of neglecting this muscle is physical and mental stress and tension, which manifests itself in our society as anxiety, depression, chronic back pain, knee pain, digestive distress, respiratory problems, etc.

tree_pose_.jpg

So using yoga exercises such as hip openers can send signals back to the most primal parts of our brain to turn off the stress response. I've found it extremely effective when combined with pipe breathing - it amplifies the effects of pipe breathing.

Another interesting thing I learned is the connection between fight/flight and muscle groups.
Fight engage the arm/shoulder muscles, and flight engages the leg muscles.

It goes beyond just the muscles, so it should be worth considering other 'signs' of chronic stress.
Do you have any of the following signs/symptoms regularly?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight-or-flight_response
Reaction[edit]

800px-The_Fight_or_Flight_Response.jpg

The fight-or-flight response
The reaction begins in the amygdala, which triggers a neural response in the hypothalamus. The initial reaction is followed by activation of the pituitary gland and secretion of the hormone ACTH.[9] The adrenal gland is activated almost simultaneously and releases the neurotransmitter epinephrine. The release of chemical messengers results in the production of the hormone cortisol, which increases blood pressure, blood sugar, and suppresses the immune system.[10] The initial response and subsequent reactions are triggered in an effort to create a boost of energy. This boost of energy is activated by epinephrine binding to liver cells and the subsequent production of glucose.[11] Additionally, the circulation of cortisol functions to turn fatty acids into available energy, which prepares muscles throughout the body for response.[12] Catecholamine hormones, such as adrenaline (epinephrine) or noradrenaline (norepinephrine), facilitate immediate physical reactions associated with a preparation for violent muscular action. These include the following:[13]

Acceleration of heart and lung action
Paling or flushing, or alternating between both
Inhibition of stomach and upper-intestinal action to the point where digestion slows down or stops
General effect on the sphincters of the body
Constriction of blood vessels in many parts of the body
Liberation of metabolic energy sources (particularly fat and glycogen) for muscular action
Dilation of blood vessels for muscles
Inhibition of the lacrimal gland (responsible for tear production) and salivation
Dilation of pupil (mydriasis)
Relaxation of bladder
Inhibition of erection
Auditory exclusion (loss of hearing)
Tunnel vision (loss of peripheral vision)
Disinhibition of spinal reflexes
Shaking

Function of physiological changes[edit]
The physiological changes that occur during the fight or flight response are activated in order to give the body increased strength and speed in anticipation of fighting or running. Some of the specific physiological changes and their functions include:[14][15]

Increased blood flow to the muscles activated by diverting blood flow from other parts of the body.
Increased blood pressure, heart rate, blood sugars, and fats in order to supply the body with extra energy.
The blood clotting function of the body speeds up in order to prevent excessive blood loss in the event of an injury sustained during the response.
Increased muscle tension in order to provide the body with extra speed and strength.

An interesting catch-22 can occur. If you have learned early on that stress cannot be expressed (it was socially dangerous to do so, or you scared yourself/other when doing so) then any/all of the above will make you More stressed.
Stress = danger = more/constant stress.
You may find yourself stressed if you are around others if you learned that expressing it is dangerous. Or you may find yourself stressed when alone if you learned you can only get stress relief by passing it onto others (this was likely done to you as a child).
So stress build up.

Using large muscle groups can be a quick and effective way to burn off stress - that is, stress has activated your muscles for action, so need to be used to reduce the stress hormone levels.

If you feel like wanting to curl into a ball or disappear/withdraw, then the psoas and shoulder muscles is what you need to focus on. Use yoga poses that open the hips and shoulders.
If you want to run away, then the leg muscles are what you need to focus on. Squats, jumps and actually running (sprinting) will burn the hormones off in no time.
If you feel angry or suffocated, work the arm and shoulder muscles. Push ups (either against a wall or floor), throwing a ball or a punchbag (even hitting a pillow) will burn this off (don't mentally link the punchbag to people or events, just hit it).

Do remember to warm up your muscle groups a little before this, or you may injure yourself. The aim is to burn off built up stress chemicals safely.

For further exploration of all this (other methods of stress relief that can be added together), the following is really useful: http://www.helpguide.org/articles/stress/stress-relief-in-the-moment.htm

A timely post for me, RedFox, so thanks for posting :)

I've had an issue with my psoas for a long time where it seems to cramp up (on both sides) when I do forward bending stretches of certain kinds, particularly on the floor. I was given a few stretches by my osteopath to try to loosen it up some, but I've also been doing some yoga poses. Upward dog seems to stretch out the psoas, as does bridge pose. I hadn't thought of doing standing poses, though, so that's something I can try.

Thanks again.

Thank you for sharing RedFox, this is interesting - I have chronic neck / shoulder pain whereby severity can vary depending on stress levels. Especially the bit you have highlighted:

When you are stressed (even if you are unaware of it) your brain is biased towards running on automatic {Do you find yourself repeating old behaviors and dissociating?}. Your ability to learn and adapt is compromised.
Depending on personality you may also be hypersensitive to other peoples stresses/emotions, hypersensitive to sound/light/sensation, become withdrawn/doubtful and unable to handle new or stressful situations (thus avoiding them).
It can go the other way too, you may talk uncontrollably, become bull headed (false confidence) and walk all over other people (become less sensitive to others).
Thinking becomes obsessive/rigid and black and white. Breathing becomes shallow. Will power is depleted.

In terms of areas of focus, I may need to hone in on the legs as stress makes me want to run away from it all! BTW what type of yoga do you practice just out of interest? I use a book by B.K.S. Iyengar who has comprehensive descriptions for poses.

I'm not sure if the yoga I practice has a name, although it is pretty gentle.
I've found a sequence of warm-up, downward dog, hip openers, supine twists and then shoulder openers to be great for stress and tension relief.

When my yoga teacher mentioned stress going to the muscles it just sort of clicked, especially in relation to what the stress/danger system is designed to do.
It's about survival, which is why the brain gets switched off. And I've been curious about the mechanisms of how things get 'stuck' and 'unstuck' for ages.

http://www.traumahealing.org/waking-the-tiger.php
The image of the tiger was invoked by Dr. Peter A. Levine during his first session with “Nancy,” who suffered from an array of symptoms, in an event that would define and shape his career.

Without warning, Nancy suddenly froze, her pulse skyrocketing as she began reliving the moments before a traumatic childhood surgery, including being bound and anesthetized with ether. “I’m going to die! Please don’t let me die!” she repeated, helplessly. Amidst this chaos, Dr. Levine was compelled, by a seemingly prescient vision of a charging tiger, to say: "Nancy, you're being chased by a tiger. Run! Run for the nearest tree!" It was at this moment, as Nancy began kicking her feet, that Dr. Levine first witnessed the human animal’s innate ability to heal from shock and terror, by completing the instinctual, self-protective act that had been overwhelmed and frozen into her body’s nervous system, over 20 years earlier. On repeated follow up, this single session had a dramatic impact on Nancy's life, including the dissolution of her agoraphobia, cessation of her migraines, and a renewed, sustained vigor in living.

The Tiger has become a symbol of our aliveness, our innate nature.

So what is it that stops us (as humans) from shaking of the activated chemical/emotional energy from so long ago?

For one, we're not taught about it I guess.
When stress hormones activate they will eventually fade, but unless they are Used, they can hang around for a long time. Once they are used, the nervous system can be more easily reset (i.e. pipe breathing etc).

My working hypothesis right now is as social creatures, humans block these re-balancing mechanisms through social learning.
That is, it scares our parents (and us) to shake uncontrollably or want to run/cry/scream after something terrifying. Trying to face such things then feels like trying to climb a mountain, or these things are so horrible they'll destroy you - which is a sign that they are very early memories.

So if it applies to terrifying situations, it also applies to 'every day stress'. It gets ignored, shut out and suppressed. The stress chemicals and bodies reaction to them is still there though - waiting to be acknowledged.
If not, it comes out as disease/accident eventually.

I'd forgotten about it, but I've actually had some uncontrollable muscle shaking during some of these exercises. After which I feel at my most relaxed.
I get that if I hold a yoga stretch for a while, or push the boundaries slightly.

_http://kachinaautumn.hubpages.com/hub/Hip-Emotions-Is-there-sadness-in-your-hips
[..]
From birth, the sympathetic nervous system response can stimulate a strong contraction of the flexors of the body, drawing ribs around the visceral organs and the knees up to the torso to offer protection should the infant suffer a fall. In this the hip muscles, particularly those of the iliopsoas complex, are activated which will later be used to run, kick or stand ground as the body grows more sophisticated in its ‘fight, flight or freeze’ response. The psoas major is unique in that it is the only muscle which connects the spine and leg bones and, hinging on the central nervous system that attaches through the spine into the brain, can be regarded as an extension of the survival-focused reptilian brain in classic brain theory. Fascia (fibrous tissue) also connect the psoas to the diaphragm, causing an interdependency of breath with the tightness and movement of this muscle.

Stressed out of balance

The link between the hips and instinctual reflexes associated with fear and stress looks to offer an explanation for the storage of suppressed emotion in this area. Whether to dodge or flee an attack, much rests on the hip muscles being able to perform their function with power and speed. The site of some of the strongest muscles in the body, in an instant the hips are charged up with excess energy to maximise the body’s kinetic potential. However, it is rarely the case when subject to the mundane stresses of work and domestic life that we use this energy as nature intended. In turn, the calming influence of the parasympathetic nervous system works to neutralise and suppress the effect of the sympathetic contraction response, governing the ‘rest and digest, feed and breed’ gland and organ functions of the body to create the state of balance necessary for optimal health and function. Prolonged periods of stress or trauma can inhibit the ability of autonomic nervous system to maintain harmony when overstimulation becomes the benchmark for homeostasis, resulting in adaptation that resets the standard for normal. Under these conditions, constant stress can seem a fact of life or in more acute cases, dysfunction can manifest as a prevalent sense of anxiety or fear, heart palpitations, insomnia or adrenal fatigue. Tightness in the hips and other muscles of the body often feature due to insufficient relaxation of the muscles subject to the contraction of repetitive mechanical or psychological stress. The tightness itself further inhibits relaxation for when the psoas is tight, deep abdominal breathing is constricted. At the core of yoga and meditation practice is awareness of the breath as the breath is key to achievement of a restful state. As Guru T. K. V. Desikachar states, ‘The quality of our breath expresses our inner feelings.’ A tight psoas interferes with the movement of the diaphragm which in turn affects the ability to activate the parasympathetic response. This is achieved via signals from neuro-receptors on the wall of the main abdominal artery when, in deep inhalation, abdominal pressure is high.

Freeze response

Cases of acute psychological trauma often find its genesis in the freeze response in particular since by nature, trauma is ignited by intense fight/flight experiences without resolution. Like a circuit breaker, the freeze or immobility response enables the body to cope with inescapable situations without risk of energetic overload whilst activating an analgesic mechanism that reduces pain in death. In Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma, Peter Levine PhD. highlights the capacity of wild animals to discharge excess energy in the aftermath of a freeze response to life-threatening events by shaking. The significance of this is noted by Levine to enable the animal to return to normal function minus any effects of trauma. The tendency of humans and domesticated animals however is to harbour the energy seeking resolution in fight or flight within the nervous system. Levine states, ‘Intense frozen energy, instead of discharging, gets bound up with the overwhelming, highly activated, emotional states of terror, rage, and helplessness.’ (Levine, 1997) Vicious cycles of emotional debilitation and immobility ensue. Therapeutic approaches like Trauma Release Exercises (TRE), designed for survivors of war and natural disasters, can demonstrate the relevance of the psoas in trauma recovery by utilising exercises that relax the psoas. With the capacity to provoke neurogenic muscle tremors that originate from the psoas, stored energy related to trauma can be discharged and resolved.

{the people in this video are in a hip opener position}

https://youtu.be/bPFbXdSGSkc
[..]

Stretches of various kinds can be very useful for the body. However I am skeptical about the hype surrounding the psoas and consider statements like "muscle of the soul" as disinformation. Anatomically the body is an integrated system. There is no one magic muscle that has disproportionate control over the entire physical body in isolation from other muscle groups and body parts. Traditional yoga involves poses that involve not one muscle but the whole body.

I have not researched it in detail but from the little I have seen, Koch's book may have created and proliferated a myth. So please use caution and discrimination on this psoas topic coming from or derived from Koch.

There is useful information in the posts above. It is not my intent to detract from the essential message about the stress body connection and the usefulness of posture and stretches.

Thank you very much for sharing this information RedFox, me too I've been suffering form lower back and neck pains, even though I go to the gym.. 3 times a week to get rid of stress, but sometimes that isn't enough.
as to complement I do my EE once a week. :clap: :clap:

Thanks for sharing RedFox! I've noticed myself having neurogenic tremors during certain stretches or exercises, but wasn't sure of the cause. Now that I know that they can be a good thing, I'll adding more stretches to my EE and pipe breathing sessions.

obyvatel said:
However I am skeptical about the hype surrounding the psoas and consider statements like "muscle of the soul" as disinformation.

I don't understand why any esoteric info even needs to be added to the above. It seems quite good enough from just an anatomical point of view.

Xico said:
Thank you very much for sharing this information RedFox, me too I've been suffering form lower back and neck pains, even though I go to the gym.. 3 times a week to get rid of stress, but sometimes that isn't enough.
as to complement I do my EE once a week. :clap: :clap:

What form of exercise do you partake at the gym? I've found Deadlift and Squat variations significantly help the lower back as they are designed, with the correct technique, to target and strengthen certain muscle groups and correct posture. They also follow the natural movement of the body.

There are also a variety of posture exercise videos and stretches online that can help.
I've noticed with lower back pain, for me, it can be as simple as how I am 'holding' myself. How I sit/stand/walk incorrectly that puts bad tension on the spine.

Thanks obyvatel and Buddy, you are right and I agree.
I'll put a note in the first post to ignore the 'esoteric' fluff.

I agree that it's more important to find a balance, and not focus on one muscle in particular.

Personally, I do this:

hs%20sun-salutation-teen.jpg

and this:
5-tibetans.jpg

almost every morning, and sometimes combined with some weight lifting and/or swimming. It only takes 15-20 minutes.

Each person needs to find whatever works best for them. Breathing and meditation is super important too.

Huxley said:
What form of exercise do you partake at the gym? I've found Deadlift and Squat variations significantly help the lower back as they are designed, with the correct technique, to target and strengthen certain muscle groups and correct posture. They also follow the natural movement of the body.

Agreed Huxley, i had lower back pain for a while - and when i started Deadlifts and Squats in the gym, it significantly helped reduce the pain, and also improved my posture.

Thanks RedFox as well for this post, great info, and much appreciated.

Thanks for the post RedFox - particularly the Psoas muscle. I've found that at night, even if i've stretched during the day, i need to spend a few minutes with the soles of my feet touching each other (like a triangle) and it releases quite a bit of tension. So reading your post yesterday was small confirmation on that and my sciatic nerve. Also, due to my accident, it doesn't take much for the tension to overwhelm my shoulders and neck so it's great to read your research. It's actually amazing the difference i can feel mid stretch sometimes - from melancholic to peaceful.

And thanks for the images Chu - good to put some names to my made up stretching.

I find active like Yoga does stress relief for me. It comes over me like a wave once I've hit it... something about the breathing and way energy is used.

I noticed cortisol isn't talked about too much... as the stress hormone, one should note that Yoga is clinically proven to reduce it! Some people naturally have higher levels (in fact blood type A and B for whatever reason).

Back
Top Bottom